• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Review thread

thekeats

Neo Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-05-middle-earth-shadow-of-war-review

And on Loot Boxes.

Speaking of difficulty levels, it would be impossible to review Shadow of War without addressing the inclusion of loot boxes and microtransactions that caused such a stir just a couple of months ago. In essence, loot chests can be bought from the game's market using Mirian, an abundant (and free) in-game currency, or gold - which is given out in much smaller measures and can, crucially, be bought with real money. These chests give out gear, XP boosts, new followers and training orders (essentially follower upgrades) for you to put to use, improving your fortunes as you go about the game world. Given how freely the game gives you skill points, gear and orcs to turn into loyal soldiers, however, these chests are wholly unnecessary. If you need them in order to get by in Shadow of War, in fact, you are almost certainly playing on the wrong difficulty setting.

The fact these chests aren't necessary, however, does little to diminish the awareness that they're very much a part of the game, especially when you're reminded of the market's existence by way of an announcement carousel every time you pause the game. With the market itself lacking the same polish as the rest of the game - the market keeper is an unvoiced orc who quite literally rubs his hands with glee when you make a purchase, by the way - it feels like something that was tacked on late into development at the behest of the publisher. Would it have been easier to ignore if the backlash to the announcement hadn't been so great? Possibly, but it still leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Polygon -
SHADOW OF WAR’S MICROTRANSACTIONS FEEL AT LEAST GREEDY, IF NOT PREDATORY

Yeah definitely waiting for a sale or maybe the Complete Edition, as they are already talking about big expansions for the game.

Sami+

"the lootboxes and microtransactions are really bad and cheapen experience

middle earth shadow of war gets an 8/10"

PCgamer;

There’s fun to be had in conquering fortresses, but it does also feel a little like managing a small business. Shadow of War’s biggest problem is being overloaded with systems that don’t feel integrated into the game in an organic way. And it’s constantly screaming at you to do things, which makes it feel like a fantasy to-do list. "Purify the Haedir towers! Reveal Shelob's memories! Open the Ithildin doors! Collect the Gondorian artifacts!" They might sound exciting, but involve little more than finding a thing then interacting with it.

There’s just too much going on. Too many menus, too much clutter on the screen, too many half-baked features. I would have preferred a smaller set of lean, refined systems to all this bloat. I had no interest in half the icons littering the map, and I found it difficult to get immersed in the story because of how unashamedly videogamey it all is. “Our greatest asset is stealth!” Celebrimbor says as he teaches me how to dominate orcs with the ring, which would sound insane if someone said it in the films or books. I never felt like I was in Middle-earth, and I rarely have trouble suspending my disbelief in games.

This is what I feared looking at the previews. Though this description is apt for a whole bunch of game who are overburened by features who are not cohesive. I much prefer a simple and clean design approach with fewer elements that truly shine.

On the other hand (as the review says) the game also seems to have these moments of brilliance. It sounds like an uneven experience that is both meh and JEZUZCUKINGCHRISTDIDUSEETHATSHIT??111. Perhaps a bit like Dragons Dogma?

I hope I will be engrossed in the story. I am excited about what the reveal is at the end. What plot device are they setting up? My curiousity of the story is probably my main motivation for trying the game. Gameplay wise, I am more focused on trying Nioh and Assassins Creed once they hit Steam.

Mifec

All the people posting their sites here I need to ask you something in case you were the ones who reviewed it and played the first one.

Is the combat still as mindless and easy as in the first one?

BT-727

Neo Member
I'm curious to see how many reviews call out the loot boxes - or even mention it - and how much they ding the game for it. I don't have high hopes.

The big issue is how the game design is tied into it. In order to conscript orc captains, you need to be the same level as them or they need to be lower. If they're of a higher level, which they usually are you need to shame them first, which reduces their level. Then you have to hunt them down all over again.

It's here that the microtransactions come in. And it's something we call out. But the bigger problem is the padding in design that allows for it in the first place. Shaming an orc captain seems unnecessary.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Seems cool.

Almost everything about every single piece of LotR media I've consumed has seemed 'bleak and bland' so can't hold that one against the devs. I might take a look at this one during those long holiday weekends.

Good to see some reviewers dedicate a paragraph or two to the impact of microtransactions (although I could do without the condescension towards fan feedback.) Consensus seems to be that it's a clunky, unneeded addition that's easily ignored and forgotten about.

Being able to play without engaging with it... not gonna lie, that's a huge relief.

All the people posting their sites here I need to ask you something in case you were the ones who reviewed it and played the first one.

Is the combat still as mindless and easy as in the first one?

The core of the game remains largely unchanged in that respect. You can roll right from one to the other, so if that's a problem, I'd skip it.

To each their own, I feel the exact opposite of you. I loved the first one and I'm not really into the LOTR franchise.

I also couldn't care less about loot boxes and microtransactions if they aren't necessary.
It starts pretty damn solid, but then it just feels like you are doing the exact same thing over and over again. If the sequel improves the lack of variety, they might have a winner in their hands.

UAm6SXk.png

The last negative sounds far more impactful than the 3 positives.

I mean it sounds like the exact same problems as the last game

thekeats

Neo Member
Warner Bros. really hung a good dev like Monolith out to dry on this it seems.

Yeah, as soneone who primarily games on pc, there work was great. But just can't get interested in this game with all the surrounding noise.

And the blame appears to lie directly with WB.

Theorry

Shadow of War PS4 Pro enhancements
While publisher Warner Bros has said very little in what to expect in the way of PS4 Pro enhancements, the game features two graphics options -- Favour Resolution and Favour Quality. The former ensures a consistent resolution while you play Shadow of War on the PS4 Pro while the latter emphasises effects and details over resolution. This could imply a variable resolution setting that comes into effect when choosing Favor Quality, though we were hard pressed to tell the difference when playing the game on a 4K monitor and a full-HD TV with Favor Quality on. Favor Resolution though, did result in sharper images and a cleaner picture. We’ve requested Warner Bros for a clearer explanation of what these modes do and will update this piece if and when we hear from them.

shadow_of_war_ps4_pro_settings_1507207083867.jpg

shimon

Bland open world huh? Wonder if any of the reviews will even mention loot boxes...

edit: I guess some did

I wonder how long until we get the first review of a game that gets a higher score because it has lootboxes. The opposite is just not going to happen.

thekeats

Neo Member
Also sounds a pretty fair model that you never should feel any reason to buy anything.

My question, after reading the review, would be why add it. As the review says, if you even consider buying one maybe you should check the difficulty.

Plus to get the most out of the nemesis system then you need to die. A lot.

pitchfork

Had no idea these were going live today!

From this point on i'm holding off starting any new games until my X arrives, but will be all over this when it does!!

Capella

I thought this was attached to Xbox, why is it listed as a PS4 review?

I don't think marketing necessarily determines what version of the game ends up being reviewed. Polygon's review is the PS4 version as well, and I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this has happened with other games as well.

Fliesen

yeah, sounds like a 'good', albeit not earth shattering, open world game.

I wasn't hoping for anything more, really. I thoroughly enjoyed the first game and wasn't at all invested in the story, really.

My PS4 pro needs some love.

Lucifon

My question, after reading the review, would be why add it. As the review says, if you even consider buying one maybe you should check the difficulty.

Plus to get the most out of the nemesis system then you need to die. A lot.

Because, publishers. Unfortunately there's some tone deaf folk at the top of some of these companies / investors / shareholders who will apply a lot of pressure to introduce these kind of things when time and time again they prove just how profitable they are. It's okay us complaining about it, but at the end of the day people spend hundreds on this crap.

If anything though you can't really complain about a game which gives you no reason to pay real money but includes the option when there's so many games out there which either like to constantly nudge you to spend money or simply screw over non-payers. From what I'm reading I'd even argue a game like Overwatch appears to be much more skewed towards trying to make the player make a purchase than this does - it gives you an initial taste of loot box satisfaction then slows things down massively to make you want more to the point where it feels a little unrewarding if you don't pay (and funnily enough people end up dumping hundreds of £/$ on them as a result).

oti

Banned
Good to see some reviewers dedicate a paragraph or two to the impact of microtransactions (although I could do without the condescension towards fan feedback.) Consensus seems to be that it's a clunky, unneeded addition that's easily ignored and forgotten about.

Being able to play without engaging with it... not gonna lie, that's a huge relief.

Any other balancing would've been detrimental to this game.

Has anyone played it on a harder difficulty to see if it's less of a cakewalk? I read Eurogamer's review and they made it sound even easier than the first game.

Good reviews, but the negatives are pretty huge to me. I don't think I have it in me for a dull open world right now, especially coming off of Breath of the Wild. The microtransactions also bother me quite a bit. I'll probably pick it up on sale sometime.

Good luck to them! But loot boxes in a full priced game means I will only be buying this on a steep sale at best, if at all, no matter how well it reviews. Too many other great games with better customer ethics I'd rather support this fall.

Huh. Didn’t know reviews were dropping today. They’re stronger than I expected, but probably not strong enough for me to pick it up. Too many other games are out/coming out.

Funnily enough. Gamespot actually likes the new environments.

From what I can tell, this one does more with the lore in the environment (the first game mentioned a lot of background in the text descriptions but didn't do justice to iconic locations such as The Black Gate from a visual or gameplay perspective.) I'm really looking forward to seeing things like Minas Morgul.

So if you're into the world, it's probably more rewarding to explore - but next to, say, Horizons or AC Origins it's going to be a stark contrast.

Top Bottom