• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is up with the "My Sex Junk" segment on Bill Nye's new show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when we're asking ourselves whether to believe a report that Bill Nye is a pedophile, I'll consider it.

When we're talking about a video we can all watch and form our own opinions on, and which sucks ass, it's really not too relevant.

From all reports Nye is a right cunt so I'm not too broken up about his show being a shambles.

That's just a few posts above yours. I can't be sure what that poster is referring to, but "all reports" definitely includes this smear campaign nowadays.

The entire show is a trainwreck, this is the baseline quality throughout the series. But yeah, this is an embarrassing and awful way to convey the message they're trying to project.

Who is this for? Because right-wing assholes are going to trash this, and progressives are going to die from their organs cringing so hard that they explode.

That was hilarious and great. Has a "Friday" like or "WetPets" quality to it. The confidence sells it to me. Very goofy. The negative reactions to it are soooooooo over the top. Probably getting an extra dose of vitriol due to the "progressive" message.

Lyrics put aside, what surprised me is how bad of a song it is - as in, how unpleasant her voice sounds. Which is strange because she sings perfectly fine in crazy ex gf.

That was hilarious and great. Has a "Friday" like or "WetPets" quality to it. The confidence sells it to me. Very goofy. The negative reactions to it are soooooooo over the top. Probably getting an extra dose of vitriol due to the "progressive" message.
Even progressives hate this. Maybe most people just think it's shit.

I don't know why so many people are lining up to defend the quality of this show because of its message. The delivery of the message is so terrible they might as well have said nothing.

caliph95

If even gaf hates it when this place been accused of being "sjw" is a good sign it goes beyond the message

No, just from how bad it was... Though, to be fair, I never liked "Friday" either and have no idea what "WetPets" is, so maybe I'm just outside the audience it was meant for...

Even progressives hate this. Maybe most people just think it's shit.

I don't know why so many people are lining up to defend the quality of this show because of its message. The delivery of the message is so terrible they might as well have said nothing.

If even gaf hates it when this place been accused of being "sjw" is a good sign it goes beyond the message

That is a misreading of my comment.

When I said, "extra dose of vitriol", the "extra" suggests that there are reasons other than the message for disliking the song. Certainly, there are other reasons to dislike the song. But I don't think what I actually did say is that unreasonable: the particular message of the probably accentuated the negative reaction. That is, perhaps a song of this "quality" about something more politically neutral would be received less negatively.

Looking at the Youtube comments, that doesn't seem like a stretch.

Wet Pets. Also, another thing this reminds me of is the DK Rap. For me, the confidence sells all of these.

That is a misreading of my comment.

When I said, "extra dose of vitriol", the "extra" suggests that there are reasons other than the message for disliking the song. Certainly, there are other reasons to dislike the song. But I don't think what I actually did say is that unreasonable: the particular message of the probably accentuated the negative reaction. That is, perhaps a song of this "quality" about something more politically neutral would be received less negatively.

Looking at the Youtube comments, that doesn't seem like a stretch.

Wet Pets. Also, another thing this reminds me of is the DK Rap. For me, the confidence sells all of these.
Ah, guess I do know Wet Pets after all, just couldn't place it without the painfully catchy tune. Honestly, if the song had just been a bit catchier for Sex Junk (not even better, just catchier or more memorable) it wouldn't have been so bad. However, even with out the politically divisive message, the song is just poorly thought out and executed from a technical level which makes it WAY harder to get behind.

Yes, the message might have turned some people off initially. But GAF seems like a pretty safe place for progressive messages and even the community here is tearing this shit apart.

rec0ded1

kzZQVyN.gif

They had to rehearse this a few times too and no one put a stop to it. Fuck man.

SURGEdude

People like Sargon are having a fucking field day with this trash.

Thanks Bill, really helping the cause by making us all look like totally out of touch weirdos.

Dehnus

For anyone who hasn't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8

This has to be one of the most awkward and misproduced things I have ever seen. It feels like it belongs on a conservative comedy show where they make fun of liberals. It's like a parody of liberal culture. Am I missing some context that makes this less awful?

It's a bit too 90's for me, but I don't see much wrong with it. But maybe it is again US bias imposed on others on the forum. I mean, no offense but many times you USA peeps are prudish ;).

That said the music itself was too 90's for comfort. The lyrics... meh.. needs to be told. As too many refute that sexuality is binary and believe that it is scientific to claim that :p.

Embrace that science! :p. Transgender is awesome :).

Downhome

You know that episode of Family Guy where Brian got his own Tv show but the producers got hold of it and changed it in every way but Brian went ahead and took part? This show existing as it does reminds me of that same exact thing, just even more out there in reality. It's insane.

Dehnus

People like Sargon are having a fucking field day with this trash.

Thanks Bill, really helping the cause by making us all look like totally out of touch weirdos.

They will trash you anyway. Even if it was a calm discussion. They aren't your friends. They want to hurt you for profit and power.

So no matter what the video would do, it would have been put under a microscope and dissected until they 'd find something they could abuse. There is no need to feel compassion for your oppressor, nor do you need to behave different or ask others to behave in a certain way to please them.

They are your oppressors, they certainly won't hold back for you, so why are you holding back for them?

SURGEdude

They will trash you anyway. Even if it was a calm discussion. They aren't your friends. They want to hurt you for profit and power.

So no matter what the video would do, it would have been put under a microscope and dissected until they 'd find something they could abuse. There is no need to feel compassion for your oppressor, nor do you need to behave different or ask others to behave in a certain way to please them.

They are your oppressors, they certainly won't hold back for you, so why are you holding back for them?

I totally agree when it comes to the ideologues. The issue is shit like this getting spread widely affects how people who haven't made up their mind end up perceiving people like us.

The message can get distorted or even hindered by delivery as spectacularly shitty as this.

Wait, she says "Sex Junk"? I thought she was saying "Sex Joke"! Either way it was fucking awful and cringe. In fact, the entire show was pretty fucking bad. This made me laugh though:

Muh vagina has its own voice.

ICE CREAM SEXUALITY:

More entertainment in that one video description than the entire show.

This whole show is trash. Bill Nye saves the world by uniting everyone in hatred of this absolute garbage. Who is this show for? I couldn't make it twenty minutes into the first episode.

.JayZii

Banned
This whole show is trash. Bill Nye saves the world by uniting everyone in hatred of this absolute garbage. Who is this show for? I couldn't make it twenty minutes into the first episode.
I'm just pleasantly surprised there wasn't a "You're an anti-science, climate change denier if you don't like this show" movement online.

Everyone hates it but the donald types are the ones calling for netflix boycotts because of it.

And going on Twitter to ask Bill if he's a Jew.

Personally, I think it's literally the worst thing I've heard from Rachel Bloom. It's not really the lyrics, there's something wrong with the arrangement or the DJ is letting it down musically. I mean, this is the woman that did the Cake Farts song, I Steal Pets and Fuck Me Ray Bradbury. She's usually gold.

But I still think the hatred for it is way over the top and that the overall show is actually pretty good.

And going on Twitter to ask Bill if he's a Jew.

Personally, I think it's literally the worst thing I've heard from Rachel Bloom. It's not really the lyrics, there's something wrong with the arrangement or the DJ is letting it down musically. I mean, this is the woman that did the Cake Farts song, I Steal Pets and Fuck Me Ray Bradbury. She's usually gold.

But I still think the hatred for it is way over the top and that the overall show is actually pretty good.
Nah, the show is terrible.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
That was awful, I made it about a minute in. If it wasn't trying so hard to be funny it might be funny. It's associated with Bill Nye, so is it trying to be informative? If so, what's it trying to say?

I've seen a lot of cringe vids. This literally made me want to die watching just the first 10 seconds and noping out of there. If I was in the audience I would leave.

Bill Nye needs to go back to his roots.
I'm surprised he's pushing this "woke" movement in attempt to appeal with millennials
I get serious "fellow kids" vibes from this stuff. I also like how he has to desperately repeat how "cool" each segment is before it airs and how cool it was after the ungodly assault on our senses is done.

My friends and I watched that ice cream sexuality one yesterday night and I feel that this is the day the music died

To me it was like Hey Vanilla icecream don't tell these other icecreams they can't be themselves just because they aren't straight like you. Which is a good message. But then they made vanilla icecream go un-vanilla at the end which is kinda hypocritical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom