• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to hold rally on night of White House Correspondents Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has nothing to do with cowardice or freedom of speech. None of those jokes were funnier because of his absence. The audience had no way to gauge their reaction without him. Usually you'll see the President and he will either be laughing or maybe squirming a little. Consequently it mostly fell flat.
So... comedy only works when the subject is present in the room to react to the joke?

daedalius

It has nothing to do with cowardice or freedom of speech. None of those jokes were funnier because of his absence. The audience had no way to gauge their reaction without him. Usually you'll see the President and he will either be laughing or maybe squirming a little. Consequently it mostly fell flat.

Definitely not, was laughing my ass off the whole time.

Just confirms what everyone has been saying all along: this dude just wants to be admired and loved and will hang out with a bunch of white trash , people he could not have given a shit about, rather than take a few jokes to the chin.

VariantX

Just saw this come from Fox News.

No wonder he is obsessed with that channel.

C-m3pSvVwAAx0YE.jpg

Good ol' fox news, posting graphs and percentages with as little context as possible because they know their audience won't do the super simple math that those D and R presidents inherited their predecessor's numbers. It's like they get their charts done up by the AMD/Nvidia guys or something.

Amir0x

Banned

Man certain segments will literally contort themselves into pretzels trying to interpret a move this monstrous maniac does positively lmfao

Man certain segments will literally contort themselves into pretzels trying to interpret a move this monstrous maniac does positively lmfao

Eh, I definitely agree that a roast without the roastee present is a bad roast. I disagree that somehow Donald comes away from it looking anything other than thin-skinned, though.

Amir0x

Banned
Eh, I definitely agree that a roast without the roastee present is a bad roast. I disagree that somehow Donald comes away from it looking like anything other than thin-skinned, though.

It is just a comedy routine about current events then, which happen to succeed literally all the time.

This is EXACTLY what a dictator does - holds rallies when in office. It's so blatant, that's what's so amazing. It really is like the Emperors New Clothes - no one will say what they see because they can't believe it (of course there are many who do say what they can see but they're called hysterical).

It is just a comedy routine about current events then, which happen to succeed literally all the time.

Yeah, it's something you could see any night on like 10 different shows, which makes it the least interesting White House Correspondents Dinner I've seen. Watching Obama and Bush get roasted was amazing. This was just whatever.

Basically I think that Trump once again proved his ability to make a bigger fool of himself than any comedian ever could. Christ, even Chevy Chase was able to frown his way through his Comedy Central roast before going back to his hotel room to cry about it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

haha what... That was hilarious. Fuck that orange shit. I am glad he didnt show up, which made it even more funny because you know how much upset he already was

BasicMath

dinner just started? trump tweeting about how a mess or less people there than his rally yet?
He ended up just talking about it during the rally.
Trump said:
"There's another big gathering that is taking place right now in DC.

A large group of Hollywood actors and Washington media are consoling each other in a hotel ball room in our nation's capital right now.

They are gathered together for the White House Correspondents Dinner WITHOUT THE PRESIDENT.
And I could not possibly be more thrilled than to be more than 100 miles away from Washington swamp, spending my evening with all of you. With a much, much larger crowd and with much, much better people."
He was just constantly shitting on the media from the start.

Yeah, it's something you could see any night on like 10 different shows, which makes it the least interesting White House Correspondents Dinner I've seen. Watching Obama and Bush get roasted was amazing. This was just whatever.
The context of it being a white house correspondents' dinner that he should have been there but is too thin-skinned to elevates it (possibly beyond if he did attend). It's not just any show.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Half of me wonders how long he can keep expecting to get the crutch he desperately needs from these rallies if he keeps showing up without any new jobs to help these poor, forgotten sods...but then the other half of me realizes that, lol, brown people and liberals are scarier than economic anxiety by a country mile.

Nerokis

He ended up just talking about it during the rally.

He was just constantly shitting on the media from the start.

All of this was so revealing.

He decided not to go to the WHCD. Fine. Did he really need to hold a rally around the same time, though? It's one thing to not show up, and perhaps throw out a few insecure tweets. But to go as far as this just to counterbalance the WHCD, of all things...

wandering

Banned
Lol the Wikipedia article for the White House Correspondents' Association

Donald Trump eschewed the 2017 dinner in favor of a political rally in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, at which he continued his established practice of disparaging media organizations such as The New York Times, CNN, and MSNBC.

MIMIC

Banned
Watching the monologue again, and Hasan was really good. He went after everyone, but still managed to deliver a great message. Loved it.

This is EXACTLY what a dictator does - holds rallies when in office. It's so blatant, that's what's so amazing. It really is like the Emperors New Clothes - no one will say what they see because they can't believe it (of course there are many who do say what they can see but they're called hysterical).

I don't see how Trump's a dictator when folks are blasting his administration about how little he's accomplished alongside his peers in Congress and the courts. As if his team could do whatever he wanted unilaterally just because he's POTUS. He's showing us the limits of the office, the need for his team to better connect with the public and how other cogs in the system are failing to get things done.

Gallup said:
In general, over his first 100 days in office, Trump's policy proposals and actions have a mixed connection to American public opinion. In some instances, the president is simply out of sync with the public. But in others, the president has not managed to make the connection between a given policy and Americans' existing priorities, which tend to focus mostly on jobs and fixing the way Congress works.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polli...HE_PRESIDENCY&g_medium=topic&g_campaign=tiles

Hopefully, people can continue to learn from Trump's term and push the US back into the right direction.

I don't see how Trump's a dictator when folks are blasting his administration about how little he's accomplished alongside his peers in Congress and the courts. As if his team could do whatever he wanted unilaterally just because he's POTUS. He's showing us the limits of the office, the need for his team to better connect with the public and how other cogs in the system are failing to get things done.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polli...HE_PRESIDENCY&g_medium=topic&g_campaign=tiles

Hopefully, people can continue to learn from Trump's term and push the US back into the right direction.

Because he has the mindset of a dictator. He's just a dictator that gets sent to his room without dinner.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Eh, I definitely agree that a roast without the roastee present is a bad roast. I disagree that somehow Donald comes away from it looking like anything other than thin-skinned, though.

Most of late night television and comedians and the like across the board has been roasting him over and open fire since day 1, since before it even and he is never in the same room with them when it happens. Its nothing new and I'm not sure why people are suddenly now talking about him not being there when he's being shat on as anything new or different or surprising.

digdug2k

No one is saying he's a dictator now. They're saying this is how they historically have risen, over and over and over and over. But this America is totally a unique snowflake, so I'm sure its different this time.

No one is saying he's a dictator now. They're saying this is how they historically have risen, over and over and over and over. But this America is totally a unique snowflake, so I'm sure its different this time.

And even if Trump fails, someone out there is definitely looking at how far he got and is thinking "wow, if I could do the same thing but be more competent..."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I'm fully aware of what a roast is and my point is that everyone and their grandmother have been lighting him up for the last 100 days and beyond without him sitting in the same room. It matters not. If anything it speaks to how cowardly he is when he does have the chance to sit through some jokes at his expense and instead ducks out to get his dick sucked by his brainwashed cult.

Edit: haha I had the dates wrong for my previous example.

Anyway, rallies after being elected are a thing everyone does:

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2009/09/both-sides-mobilizing-obamas-saturday-rally

https://nypost.com/2017/02/18/why-trumps-florida-rally-was-the-right-move-at-the-right-time/

Saturday's rally was not exactly unprecedented for a president. On Feb. 09, 2009, less than three weeks into his presidency, Barack Obama visited Elkhart, Ind., to promote his controversial stimulus plan at a rally that had all of the hallmarks of a campaign event; there was a campaign-style speech, questions from the audience, and plenty of adoration from attendees.

Rallying for your team is not in itself a sign of a dictatorship, guys. Are people even using historical precedent when making these posts, or is it just guessing for things to point at?

Just saw this come from Fox News.

No wonder he is obsessed with that channel.

C-m3pSvVwAAx0YE.jpg

I'll never understand this kind of spin. Anyone with a bit of thought about this would think wow job rates really improve under Democrat presidencies and worsens under Republican presidencies. The graphic makes a better case for wanting to have a Dem for president than a Republican.

I laughed hard so yes, the jokes are funny. Snowflake 45 chose not to go because he remembers when Obama and Meyers roasted him. You can see he was pissed and wanted to cry.

theWB27

And even if Trump fails, someone out there is definitely looking at how far he got and is thinking "wow, if I could do the same thing but be more competent..."

He won the presidency...he hasn't gotten any closer to being any kind of dictator after that. I'm not seeing how anyone can look at Trump and build off anything he's done.

jstripes

Banned
Half of me wonders how long he can keep expecting to get the crutch he desperately needs from these rallies if he keeps showing up without any new jobs to help these poor, forgotten sods...but then the other half of me realizes that, lol, brown people and liberals are scarier than economic anxiety by a country mile.

They'll keep finding ways to blame the continuing lack of jobs on Hillary and Obama, and whomever the Democrats groom to be their next leader.

Mathieran

Banned
I'll never understand this kind of spin. Anyone with a bit of thought about this would think wow job rates really improve under Democrat presidencies and worsens under Republican presidencies. The graphic makes a better case for wanting to have a Dem for president than a Republican.

The people that watch Fox News won't even take the 5 seconds of critical thought it takes to arrive at that conclusion and they know it.

That's the thing, anyone that watches Fox News suffers from a complete and absolute lack of thought.

digdug2k

Edit: haha I had the dates wrong for my previous example.
Anyway, rallies after being elected are a thing everyone does:

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2009/09/both-sides-mobilizing-obamas-saturday-rally

https://nypost.com/2017/02/18/why-trumps-florida-rally-was-the-right-move-at-the-right-time/

Rallying for your team is not in itself a sign of a dictatorship, guys. Are people even using historical precedent when making these posts, or is it just guessing for things to point at?
The Post isn't a reputable source, but holding ralleys to raise public support for a bill, really isn't the same thing as holding ralleys to raise support for yourself and your re-election campaign. These aren't even marketed as "lets try to get my budget passed" ralleys, and I still get campaign emails from Corey Lewandowski asking me to donate to Trump's next campaign.

But I think the "he wants to be a dictator" is pretty bolstered by quotes like ones from the Constitution thread (r.e. complaining about how hard it is for him to get stuff done):
You can't go through a process like this. It's not fair. It forces you to make bad decisions. I mean, you're really forced into doing things that you would normally not do except for these archaic rules.
He's setting himself and advocating up to basically remove anybody else (judges, congress, etc.) from the decision making process.

digdug2k

I think some of them can see it. But then there heads go, "Well remember the one time when the NYT ran something wrong too. All the press makes mistakes. And FoxNews just says such wonderful things that I love..." and they go back to willful ignorance. The "both sides are the same" game has hit and basically killed the press just as much as it hurt the Dems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom