• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP BoJack Horseman - AKA 'Why is this asshole horse so relatable'? [FULL SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just finished all three seasons of this show, and -- damn.

The first couple of episodes were moderately funny, but didn't quite grip me. But once the groundwork was laid on the main cast, it just started rolling, gaining momentum, and never stopped.

What the show does with the 'thirty minute sitcom' format is fantastic. It keeps the idea of quick gags and throwaways...but it doesn't actually throw anything away. One-off remarks become great brick jokes episodes down the line, character development feels consistent and three-dimensional, and no recurring character comes off as just existing to provide a couple of funny moments.

The format of the show would work great just with self-contained situations, but it always ups the ante and has the most consistency and detail in its development that I've seen in a long, long time. From BoJack's growing existential dread to Todd coming to terms with his asexuality, the show throws hints and nudges forward constantly. It builds things up, fakes them out, but then picks them up again later. BoJack's quest to become a better person falters and backslides, yet it never feels like 'the status quo' is being preserved. If anything, it's being elaborately deconstructed; though BoJack doesn't become better, the consequences for his refusal to change grow in magnitude, from mildly pissing people off to directly causing the death of the only person he thinks he's capable of truly loving.

On top of this, it's fucking hilarious. I'm focusing a lot on the cerebral aspects of the show and the depth, but it's really funny, from animal-related gags in the background to the fantastic conversational tones and jokes.

I could have had just about any plot point spoiled for me, but I still would have enjoyed it just as much because of how well everything is foreshadowed. Season three really ups the ante in terms of cliffhangers, with Sarah Lynn dead, Mr. Peanutbutter running for governor, and BoJack nearly offing himself before seeing all of the running wild horses that inspire him.

I'm incredibly excited for season 4, and I'm kind of glad I got into the show late so I'm not having to wait as long.

Anyways:

ooTXiNA.gif

Moonkid

You cover everything nicely OP, especially agree that as great as the more serious dimension of the show is it's also consistently a laugh. Really looking forward to the next season where I'll be able to engage in the chatter.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to listen to Sea of Dreams for the hundredth time ;_;

NEO0MJ

Yeah, it's a great show. One of the things I like is that Mr. PB isn't as stupid or naive as he comes off at times. That time he dropped the act in the middle of his show and confronted Bojack about how he forcefully kissed his wife was pretty amazing.

Fat4all

Banned
It's the closest I've seen american animation get to the drama of a few anime.

I honestly was shocked it's as popular as it is.

Ennosuke

I love the show! Very funny, because I like this dark humor and all the references. But the best thing is really that I care about the characters and the show is really good with emotions.

louiedog

I saw the middling reviews (based only on the first half of season 1 that was sent out for screening) and watched some of the first episode and wasn't feeling it at all back when the first season became available.

But after seeing so much positive stuff from friends I gave it a shot a couple of weeks ago and am a little over half-way through season 2 right now. It's great.

Truly my favourite show on TV at the moment. How they made a show about a horse the most biting satire on humanity at the moment is beyond me, true genius

I binged through Season 2 and Season 3 over my winter break after having dropped the show after Season 1 for a bit, and I was just wrecked by the end of it at Bojack's plight. Everything he touches turns to shit, and he knows that and wants to change, but is too self-hating and cynical he thinks he can't redeem itself.

Its crushing to see bits of yourself in what Bojack thinks of himself or even does. Mad props to Rafael Bob-Waksberg for turning this show around after Season 1's middling reviews. If this were on any other TV network, there is a good chance this would have been killed after Season 1, but thank goodness for Netflix's acceptance that shows need time to grow and find themselves.

El Odio

Banned
Ads being plastered for this show all over facebook and the like back when season 2 dropped got me to give a shot and I'm glad I decided to check it out. Easily one of the best shows right now. Hope that season 4 announcement drops soon.

Sarah Lynn?

Sarah Lynn?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that still hurts :(

One of the greatest shows I've ever watched for sure. The writing is so much better than other shows at conveying the lows and highs of life in a hard hitting way. It's also one of the few shows that use the f-word right to really nail serious scenes.

There's just too much to like about this show.

I absolutely hate shows of any kind where the characters progress in an episode, but by the next episode they just reset everything and the relationships back to their series defaults. I don't understand why this happens so much in TV shows. Bojack Horseman is great because the characters truly progress and carry over episode-to-episode, season-to-season. Season 2 was especially great because the whole season he is legitimately trying to be a better person. And he actually kind of succeeds, even while he is faltering. Just about any other comedy would have had him bail on being a better person after 1 episode and turn it into a "hahaha. Yeah, he is just an asshole" but no. Bojack goes for it in a truly believable and human way.

Such a great show.

robochimp

I really love all the visual gags, like a bird paparazzi desperately clinging to a utility pole trying to climb just a little bit further and then he just flys away.

The silent underwater episode is one of my favorites.

I absolutely hate shows of any kind where the characters progress in an episode, but by the next episode they just reset everything and the relationships back to their series defaults. I don't understand why this happens so much in TV shows. Bojack Horseman is great because the characters truly progress and carry over episode-to-episode, season-to-season. Season 2 was especially great because the whole season he is legitimately trying to be a better person. And he actually kind of succeeds, even while he is faltering. Just about any other comedy would have had him bail on being a better person after 1 episode and turn it into a "hahaha. Yeah, he is just an asshole" but no. Bojack goes for it in a truly believable and human way.

Such a great show.

Yeah in season 2 he strives and makes great progress, but falls so hard.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's part of an emerging subgenre called the "sadcom".

http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/rise-of-the-sadcom.html

I've always thought that Bojack isn't that great of a straight up comedy and the best things about it are when it's just depressing. If you take out all the depressing stuff, and just make it a straight up comedy, then the show would be pretty forgettable and I doubt I would've watched 3 seasons of it.

I've always thought that Bojack isn't that great of a straight up comedy and the best things about it are when it's just depressing. If you take out all the depressing stuff, and just make it a straight up comedy, then the show would be pretty forgettable and I doubt I would've watched 3 seasons of it.
Agreed, kind of. I don't find myself laughing out loud a ton, but I'm still hooked. This might sound cynical and pessimistic, but I think I like it because it feels very real when it is being depressing. And this is a show with a horse as a main character, so it is amusing it nails reality so well. I think a lot of people who watch can relate to various characters. Diane and Bojack especially. And at no point that I can recall do the creators of the show sacrifice their characters for a punch line. If these characters do something, it is because it is what they would do, and not something that happens because "wouldn't this be funny" like you see in so many other comedies or sitcoms in general.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Probably one of the best shows I've ever watched. I never would have thought that the show with the best representation of existentialism would be one with talking animals and a gag involving three kids stacked on top of each other in a trenchcoat.

One thing I love about the show is that they only say "fuck" once per season and it's always signaling someone important leaving Bojack's life.

In season 1 it is Herb telling BoJack to "Get the FUCK out of my house."

2 is Charlotte telling him "If I see you again I will FUCKING kill you."

3 is Todd and his "it's you" speech, with "Fuck, man. I don't know what to say." I love how low-key and resigned that one is compared to the others.

What's really funny is to preserve the Integrity of this rule they broke up Diane's cursing when she found out that she was pregnant into "Motherfu-" and "Ker!" Between episodes

Great show, even if the last season was kind of spinning its wheels (the underwater ep was killer, though). Still looking forward to new episodes, of course.

I've heard a lot of folks say that they relate to Bojack, but I don't relate to him at all. I get where he's coming from but he's just not me in any sense. If I had to pick one character on the show that I actually identify with, I'd say Mr. Peanutbutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom