• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Aureon
Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
(06-30-2015, 03:33 PM)
Aureon's Avatar
I'm not buying ANYTHING digital on console until they fix consumer rights on it.
hodgy100
Member
(06-30-2015, 03:34 PM)
hodgy100's Avatar
unless you want to go into a 6 month legal battle you are best off eating the cost OP :( just be glad it wasn't £600

Originally Posted by QuickSilverD

well people who have decent experiences probably don't feel the need to post them.

I once bought Persona Arena Ultimax but once I download it wouldn't install for some reason, tried again and the file became corrupted again, I still don't know what the problem was, but I asked for a refund and got it without any problem within a few days of my request.

The email they give you back does include that line that "we usually don't refund purchases blah blah, but we'll do this one this one time" thing


and on the other hand, someone got into my account and ordered £600 worth of games. they refused to give me a refund. endedu p taking them to small claims and they settled the day before a court date was to be set.
derExperte
Member
(06-30-2015, 03:34 PM)
derExperte's Avatar
Btw bad refund policy or not, find out who gave that kid your Vita (your sister I guess) and ask that person for the money.
555-Goodbye
Member
(06-30-2015, 03:34 PM)
555-Goodbye's Avatar

Originally Posted by DoctorWho

These threads pop up weekly at this point.

Sony needs to get the fucking hint.

I think they've taken the hint. "No matter how badly we treat them, they still give us their money!"

Originally Posted by hodgy100

unless you want to go into a 6 month legal battle you are best off eating the cost OP :( just be glad it wasn't £600

toythatkills
(06-30-2015, 03:35 PM)
toythatkills's Avatar
Nice to see Sony evaluated their policies after Watchdog like they promised to, obviously deciding it was best to keep fucking their customers.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(06-30-2015, 03:37 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar
this part is a little strong, because they literally just introduced it

Now if this was Steam there wouldn't be a problem. I'd have applied for a refund straightaway and gotten one no questions asked

the way you worded it sounds like they've had a refund policy for ages
Teletraan1
fuck those devs
cuz I'm down for my devs
(06-30-2015, 03:37 PM)
Teletraan1's Avatar

Originally Posted by derExperte

They granted refunds before. Only reluctantly, you had to deal with the slow customer service and throw around some customer-protection laws but still.



They did it better though, on Origin you can only get refunds for EA's own games.

PSN/MS anyone have granted refunds before as well. And reluctantly. You have to deal with slow customer service and throw around some customer protection laws....it is no different than what steam was a few weeks ago. Arrogant Sony bastards.

Great they improved it. It only took them almost 2 years. But we have this thread a few weeks later with people championing steam as some beacon of light for a refund that PSN has systems in place to prevent is the point.
hodgy100
Member
(06-30-2015, 03:41 PM)
hodgy100's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teletraan1

PSN/MS anyone have granted refunds before as well. And reluctantly. You have to deal with slow customer service and throw around some customer protection laws....it is no different than what steam was a few weeks ago. Arrogant Sony bastards.

Great they improved it. It only took them almost 2 years. But we have this thread a few weeks later with people championing steam as some beacon of light for a refund that PSN has systems in place to prevent is the point.

why shouldnt we hold other services to higher standards? even if those standards only came about recently.
Shahed
Member
(06-30-2015, 04:28 PM)
Shahed's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

this part is a little strong, because they literally just introduced it

the way you worded it sounds like they've had a refund policy for ages

That wasn't my intention. Just simply stating that as things stand that is possible, and other companies should incorporate something similar
borghe
Loves the Greater Toronto Area
(06-30-2015, 04:32 PM)
borghe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shahed

Now if this was Steam there wouldn't be a problem.

I love how people conveniently forget to mention that this has only been true for less than a month.

Prior to June, all of your bitching and ranting would have been just as true for Steam. And is still true for almost all other digital platforms. Not saying your point is not valid, but change takes time... so stop acting like "Sony is in the fucking stone age" when in fact only ONE digital store front only JUST got out of that "stone age" less than 30 days ago.

Originally Posted by Shahed

That wasn't my intention. Just simply stating that as things stand that is possible, and other companies should incorporate something similar

Well of course they should, and probably will.. The point he and others are making is simply that holding Steam up as a shining example is the same as saying "Tesla is offering 10kwh batteries for $3000. How the fuck else isn't everyone else offering the same price point on their batteries!?"

Change takes time. ~3 weeks is not really adequate "time" to be bitching/comparing everyone else to something that is so new it's pretty much unheard of.

Originally Posted by hodgy100

why shouldnt we hold other services to higher standards? even if those standards only came about recently.

because it's a major shift in the industry. Those kinds of shifts NEVER happen quickly, and expecting them to is essentially a lack of understanding. 2-3 months post launch? Yes it's appropriate to wonder when it will be coming. 6-12 months post launch? probably appropriate to start asking why it's not here. But 3 weeks for a major shift in the industry not being adopted by everyone else? It's called being realistic.
Last edited by borghe; 06-30-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Shahed
Member
(06-30-2015, 04:42 PM)
Shahed's Avatar
Thing is I'm not seeing it as a 3 week turn around since Steam did it. I'm looking at it this way. PSN has been around for nearly a decade and this is something that realy should be in place. I'd be complaining about Sony's refund policy even if Steam hadn't done what they did recently and only used them as an example because it exists at this moment.
Tjamato88
Member
(06-30-2015, 04:46 PM)
Tjamato88's Avatar
I bought the PS3 version of The Evil Within on accident and didn't have any issues getting a refund on it. The money was back in my account like a day or two later and I bought the PS4 version.

It was annoying they couldn't just issue me a PS4 copy and remove the PS3 copy but the rep made it seem like they don't have that kind of access to your account.
fvng
Member
(06-30-2015, 04:47 PM)
fvng's Avatar
i bought the killzone ps4 game that was a standalone multiplayer only game and they refunded me when i saw the servers were a ghost town.. i think they do refunds on a case by casis basis. they have refunded me about 3x, each time legitimate reasons in my opinion
Sakujou
Banned
(06-30-2015, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by DoctorWho

These threads pop up weekly at this point.

Sony needs to get the fucking hint.

They gave me the "expected to be declined" bullshit as well but turned around and "graciously" offered me a one time refund but reminded me that this isn't what they usually do.

maybe after a hack or two in 20 years, sony will be in the same state as steam/apple/google.

i rarely used the refund policy offered by apple (i have an ipad since 2013, 2apps shown as ipad apps werent working on my ipad4) so just writing them an email(not calling a ridiculously expensive hotline) instead of calling saved money and time.
i got my money back within 3 days.
perfect.
i spent over 100 euros on the app store, only 2 two times i had to ask for refund since the app was not working.

a few years ago i tried to get my money back since the item i bought via xbox.com wasnt peace walker, instead it was some stupid avatar item. after calling microsoft they just told me, that its my fault NOT USING INTERNET EXPLORER or the xbox to buy the article(peace walker the game)
firefox had a weird problem going on, since i was on vacation, i couldnt turn on my xbox or use another browser for this occasion.

got mad by this shit, and havent redeemed any ms points since then.
psn on the other hand... welp they started to be cheaper but still really expensive, if you ask me...
Shahed
Member
(06-30-2015, 06:49 PM)
Shahed's Avatar
I got an email reply asking for me to prove it was an accidental purchase. How am I supposed to do that?
Larogue
Member
(06-30-2015, 06:53 PM)
Larogue's Avatar
You can't compare PSN to Steam. Steam has way more flexibility cause its not limited to a specific platform.
kingwingin
Banned
(06-30-2015, 06:55 PM)
I called sony for a refund once and had no issue. Was for shadowfall, didn't realize games were 50gigs and I wouldn't be able to play it on launch day.
Gator86
Member
(06-30-2015, 06:56 PM)
Gator86's Avatar

Originally Posted by toythatkills

Nice to see Sony evaluated their policies after Watchdog like they promised to, obviously deciding it was best to keep fucking their customers.

I expect Sony to hold firm on this until some lawsuits roll in. They really have no reason not to do this until they see a stark,crystal-clear impact on their bottom line. Sony clearly isn't even interested in the most straightforward concessions. The fact they have non-refundable digital pre-orders is fucking insane. Those should be cancellable until the second the game launches.
Kinsella
Banned
(06-30-2015, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by QuickSilverD

well people who have decent experiences probably don't feel the need to post them.

I once bought Persona Arena Ultimax but once I download it wouldn't install for some reason, tried again and the file became corrupted again, I still don't know what the problem was, but I asked for a refund and got it without any problem within a few days of my request.

The email they give you back does include that line that "we usually don't refund purchases blah blah, but we'll do this one this one time" thing

Some people getting a refund doesn't change the fact that Sony's own stated refund policy is horrible.
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.
(06-30-2015, 06:59 PM)
Durante's Avatar

Originally Posted by fernoca

This kind of system can't be added in a few weeks or even months. There's also the fact that "the main 3" needs third-parties more than Steam does, so it's a decision they also need to pass by them.

I have nothing against the "things take time" argument, but I am flabbergasted by the bolded. 99.9% of all games on Steam are third-party.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-30-2015, 07:00 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shahed

I got an email reply asking for me to prove it was an accidental purchase. How am I supposed to do that?

Just tell the same thing you told us, your niece got a hold of your Vita and bought it without your permission.

What movie was it anyway? Did she start watching it?
Last edited by Neuromancer; 06-30-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Lothars
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:00 PM)
Lothars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gator86

I expect Sony to hold firm on this until some lawsuits roll in. They really have no reason not to do this until they see a stark,crystal-clear impact on their bottom line. Sony clearly isn't even interested in the most straightforward concessions. The fact they have non-refundable digital pre-orders is fucking insane. Those should be cancellable until the second the game launches.

You can refund preorders. Alot of this is people spreading bad information for little reason.
ScaryShark
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:01 PM)
ScaryShark's Avatar
Refunds on pre-ordered games before release should be a standard, painless and no questions asked policy at a minimum.
Shahed
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:04 PM)
Shahed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

Just tell the same thing you told us, your niece got a hold of your Vita and bought it without your permission.

What game was it anyway?

I told them how it happened. And heck it wasn't even a game but a film! The SD version of Focus for £11.99. The fact that I've never bought a film before and ended up with a non HD one ahould raise all sorts of flags and indicate that there's a good chance it's accidental when I tell them about it

Seen the Edit. She didn't download it and had no idea what she was doing. Just pressing buttons. She's 2 years old lol
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-30-2015, 07:06 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shahed

I told them how it happened. And heck it wasn't even a game but a film! The SD version of Focus for £11.99. The fact that I've never bought a film before and ended up with a non HD one ahould raise all sorts of flags and indicate that there's a good chance it's accidental when I tell them about it

All right well I hope for your sake you get the refund. If it were me I'd give it to you. Especially if they can see on their end that you didn't even download it.

The problem with an anything goes return policy is what would stop people from playing a game or watching a movie and then trying to get a refund. There are a lot of scammers out there (I'm sure Valve is realizing this now with their new policy) who take advantage of lax policies and ruin things for everyone else.
Kinsella
Banned
(06-30-2015, 07:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Lothars

You can refund preorders. Alot of this is people spreading bad information for little reason.

You can't refund pre-orders in the US. You're spreading bad information.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-30-2015, 07:10 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kinsella

You can't refund pre-orders in the US. You're spreading bad information.

Are you sure about that?

To cancel a pre-order

Please contact PlayStation Consumer Services via Chat or Phone to cancel a pre-order.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...ore-pre-orders
matrixman92
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:12 PM)
matrixman92's Avatar
I don't even understand why they won't do it. If a game is right there on your account, is it difficult to deactivate the license or something? Idk much about this, but it sounds like it would be a few simple button presses by them just going to your account and deactivating it, then refunding. Should be a standard for all digital platforms
Lothars
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:13 PM)
Lothars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kinsella

You can't refund pre-orders in the US. You're spreading bad information.

No you can cancel pre-orders. Thanks for proving my point.
DeepEnigma
Banned
(06-30-2015, 07:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Kinsella

You can't refund pre-orders in the US. You're spreading bad information.

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

Are you sure about that?

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...ore-pre-orders

Gotta love it.
Darth Smurf X
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:14 PM)
Darth Smurf X's Avatar
When I first got my PS4, I signed up for the PS+ free trial with the intent of buying the yearly subscription when it expired. Well, they activated the month-to-month subscription, I believe on the day I was going to buy in, automatically. I called them up, explained that I was going to buy the yearly one and asked if they could refund the expensive monthly fee. They did. And within a day or two, so I eagerly plopped down my money for the year subscription.

True story.

I know this doesn't help you, but every call to Sony does not end poorly.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(06-30-2015, 07:15 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by DoctorWho

These threads pop up weekly at this point.

Sony needs to get the fucking hint.

This. All console storefronts need to get their act together. PC already seems like its moving in the right direction with Origin's refund policies and now Steam.
FlyinJ
Douchebag. Yes, me.
(06-30-2015, 07:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Larogue

You can't compare PSN to Steam. Steam has way more flexibility cause its not limited to a specific platform.

What does this mean? Is your point that it should be even easier for Sony to set up a system for refunds because it is only a single platform they are dealing with?
Kinsella
Banned
(06-30-2015, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

Are you sure about that?

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...ore-pre-orders

Tried a few weeks ago to cancel ESO and was told that digital pre-orders are non-refundable. So yes, I'm sure about it. It also tells you when you pre-order that it's non--refundable.

Originally Posted by Lothars

No you can cancel pre-orders. Thanks for proving my point.

You're still wrong. Here's Sony's exact wording:

CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE EXCEPT WHERE REQUIRED BY LAW.

They're not required by law in the US.
Last edited by Kinsella; 06-30-2015 at 07:21 PM.
ScaryShark
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:20 PM)
ScaryShark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

Are you sure about that?

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...ore-pre-orders

This is where they come back at you that doing so 'is a one time thing'. It's not a standard policy. It explicitly says on pre-order pages that the game isn't refundable as well.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-30-2015, 07:21 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kinsella

Tried a few weeks ago to cancel ESO and was told that digital pre-orders are non-refundable. So yes, I'm sure about it. It also tells you when you pre-order that it's non--refundable.

Huh that's very strange.
SSReborn
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:22 PM)
SSReborn's Avatar
Yeah they really need to change this.

I don't understand why it's so hard especially if I as the player haven't even played much less opened the game or w.e it is in most cases.

As an aside you guys should really consider putting a password on checkout. It helps with these accidental purchase situations. I remember back when they had infamous 2 on plus I picked it up right when it was coming down but it was still showing as free. So when I clicked the game I ended up getting charged I had to call and get the refund they gave me that one time nonsense. Ever since I've been entering my pass at checkout, it's great because you aren't prompted to enter it if it is truly something free on the store. Just that added layer of prevention.

As great as things have been on the games side of PlayStation they still have a ways to go in terms of the network and customer service.
Kinsella
Banned
(06-30-2015, 07:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

Huh that's very strange.

It's not strange. This is written in every single pre-order:

CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE EXCEPT WHERE REQUIRED BY LAW.

Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(06-30-2015, 07:24 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kinsella

It's not strange. This is written in every single pre-order:

I think it's strange since like I said, the two times I bought things and requested refunds I got them. I guess I've got the magic touch.
DeepEnigma
Banned
(06-30-2015, 07:24 PM)
It should, and will eventually change.

In the meantime don't pre-order. Simple.
mokalovesoulmate
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:27 PM)
mokalovesoulmate's Avatar
Months ago I purchased Persona 4 Arena but it cannot run on my machine because region restriction! THANKS ATLUS!

My PS3 machine is Asia region, the account is US region.

I wanted to ask for refund but I am afraid that they will watch over my account since it is Plus account with soooo many purchased games since 2010...I am saying that I dont want any bad track record with my account

Do you guys think Sony will do refund to the wallet?

It is $20, man...
Kresnik258
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:28 PM)
Kresnik258's Avatar
I've been involved with PlayStation Support for an issue with two games I bought off PSN since 30th May. Literally a month since my first enquiry to today and my issue isn't resolved.

To cut a long story short, I bought 2 PSP games from their descriptions and neither matched (one said it was Vita compatible and it isn't; the other is completely in French... from the UK store).

Since then I've sent 4 e-mails (1 per week) and made 3 phone calls (whenever I've gotten a ridiculous response to an e-mail).

The way they come across when I talk to them, quite frankly, is that they're trying their best to fob me off to whoever else they can in the first instance and will not chase things up unless I hassle them. And that they absolutely will not give a refund unless they have to.

One particular area of difficulty for me has been responses from different members of the team. I do understand that I won't get the same person looking at my issue each time, but still, when you get a ridiculous response from a different person because they haven't bothered to read the whole enquiry, it's so frustrating (case in point: a member of the team asked me to send a screenshot showing the game couldn't be transferred from PS3 to Vita. I did this, and the response I received from a different team member - "I can confirm that the content purchased is not compatible with PlayStation® 3 (PS3). You will however be able to download this directly to your PS Vita."). UGH.

I know this is only loosely related to the matter presented in the OP, but I just had to vent somewhere. My experience with PlayStation Support has been a long, long way from positive. I feel I'm on the verge of getting a refund from both games but I was told on my last phone call that it'd still be at least another week's wait while they "escalate" the matter and wait for a response. Good job I don't need this £25 desperately for anything else, huh?
Automatisch
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:28 PM)
Automatisch's Avatar
I got my FF14 HW preorder refunded so I wouldn't say there's a hard and fast rule for those. That said I wouldn't expect to have one every single time, but the fact is within a few days the money was put back into my wallet so it worked well enough that time.
Lulubop
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:28 PM)
Lulubop's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

this part is a little strong, because they literally just introduced it

the way you worded it sounds like they've had a refund policy for ages

I like how this what resonated most with you. Never change
epmode
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:35 PM)
epmode's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gen.Grievous

Steam has only just introduced it after 12 years. Give it some time.

Yeah, no one's allowed to complain about PSN's refund policy for another three years.
Megatron
Member
(06-30-2015, 07:59 PM)
Megatron's Avatar

Originally Posted by EmptySpace

sorry if i can't sympathize with you.

you said you've always wanted the password on checkout. i googled it and it wss the first result. if you've truly wanted it then you should've done it already. and the process would've taken as quick as you left your vita lying around.

leaving around a device that can make purchases, without password protection. with kids in the house.

it is a movie, and more than a couple of hours has passed since the purchase when you made the call.

seems to me more like a lesson learned the hard way than an awful refund system.


Except that he never downloaded the movie, which they should easily be able to see. If she had ordered a physical copy of the movie by accident, he could return it if he doesn't open it. Why shouldn't he have the same rights as digital? Accidents happen, its ok to give refunds if the purchase wasnt Intentional and the content never viewed.
Northeastmonk
Member
(06-30-2015, 08:10 PM)
Northeastmonk's Avatar
I put a password on my account, which prompts me before I checkout. I do this so I think twice about what I am buying.

One-click buying on Amazon is one thing, but with PSN or even Steam you need some back up because I could go to town.

It is universal, so it works with both my console and my Vita. I just have to enter it before I am done with everything. Then it will transfer funds. I can see why you're upset about this.

They probably just had to checkout.

If a game gets delayed they will give you an option to keep it or it will just cancel. I've had that done on me twice because I didn't check my e-mail. A refund is typically given back in credit too.
Last edited by Northeastmonk; 06-30-2015 at 08:15 PM.
this_multiverse
Junior Member
(06-30-2015, 08:11 PM)
this_multiverse's Avatar
Advanced Warfare and this policy has me never buying a pass again without playing the game first. :l
Lothars
Member
(06-30-2015, 08:11 PM)
Lothars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kinsella

Tried a few weeks ago to cancel ESO and was told that digital pre-orders are non-refundable. So yes, I'm sure about it. It also tells you when you pre-order that it's non--refundable.



You're still wrong. Here's Sony's exact wording:



They're not required by law in the US.

That's totally the opposite of my experience, I got dragon age Inqusition preorder refunded before it was out.

Yes they are not required to but they do it. So I don't know why they didn't for you.
Mononoke
Banned
(06-30-2015, 08:13 PM)

Originally Posted by DoctorWho

These threads pop up weekly at this point.

Sony needs to get the fucking hint.

They gave me the "expected to be declined" bullshit as well but turned around and "graciously" offered me a one time refund but reminded me that this isn't what they usually do.

That is what MS told me after I got a refund for MCC being broken. Almost word for word same dialogue.

Thread Tools