• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

v1lla21

I know Aftershock and Masamune are getting all the love but Marauder goes hard in the paint. My new main most definitely.
Yuuup. That shit is legit. Definitely topped paladin as my favorite car. Safari decal, rhino horns and chicken magnet make this car complete.

I'd say a third to a quarter of my games are like this but I swear there are nights where it's every other match

Yeah same actually. Like sometimes it's fine and then randomly I'll get a day that's just all over the place. Today seems to be one of those days too.

On a plus note, I think I just had a breakthrough with off the wall air dribbling. I've had the air control reasonably well for a while now but the launch had been troubling me for ages. IIRC I took some tips from a video of JHZER's where he said to hit the ball, jump and apply a little boost all at once, and while it works occasionally I've found it a whole load easier to boost and hit the ball then jump shortly after, or sometimes even leave it a while and reposition before jumping since a front flip will catch you up if you fall a bit behind.

Annoyingly I've not managed to carry it into the goal yet though and keep falling a little short having to end it with a ground pinch.

Also cool article on ESPN about Kings of Urban.

ESPN
This is really cool to me. I've been playing RL since it launched and have stuck with it over the course of the past year but I've only started paying attention to the pro scene in the last few months. It turns out the game is actually super fun to watch, especially when the teams are top quality and the commentary is good. RL is very simplistic and sports-like at its core which makes it a great game to spectate.

I hope this game continues to gain steam in the esports world, it absolutely deserves more attention. RL's rise to power has been incredible to watch but I feel they are only beginning to tap into its true potential.

Hey, everyone! Just a heads up for any newer players that we have a PS4 community called RocketGAF.

On your PS4, go to Friends, then to Communities. Search for "rocketgaf". The search function only looks at community titles and the game itself, so a search for NeoGAF won't pull it up. (I created the community before there was a search function, otherwise I would have included it in the title.)

We have about 100 gaffers there now. It's a great way to identify people from here to play with on PS4. It's a private community. So you can submit a request to join and we'll approve you. J. Bravo, V1lla21, and I are moderators there. Just be sure to let us know your NeoGAF username if you're not already in the official "NeoGAF." PS4 community (we use that to help verify gaffers when needed). Or you can let us know your PSN ID here and we'll send you an invite. Thanks and see you there!

Jamie
PSN: Optimus_Prime

Edit: This reminds me. When are we going to do another Gaf tournament? Would be great to have one before the end of summer!

v1lla21

Hey, everyone! Just a heads up for any newer players that we have a PS4 community called RocketGAF.

On your PS4, go to Friends, then to Communities. Search for "rocketgaf". The search function only looks at community titles and the game itself, so a search for NeoGAF won't pull it up. (I created the community before there was a search function, otherwise I would have included it in the title.)

We have about 50 gaffers there now. It's a great way to identify people from here to play with on PS4. It's a private community. So you can submit a request to join and we'll approve you. J. Bravo, V1lla21, and I are moderators there. Just be sure to let us know your NeoGAF username if you're not already in the official "NeoGAF." PS4 community (we use that to help verify gaffers when needed). Or you can let us know your PSN ID here and we'll send you an invite. Thanks and see you there!

Jamie
PSN: Optimus_Prime

Edit: This reminds me. When are we going to do another Gaf tournament? Would be great to have one before the end of summer!
I was gone from the OT for a long time, was there another tourney after the one I did? I can do another but there probably won't be any prizes for winning. It'd be ran much better this time. Lol.

The new update is a battle arena. You heard it here first folks. Get ready to mount some Machine gunz on your favorite whip.

My thoughts and desires for he upcoming crate system.

What I would like. Five items of random quality and rarity with a guaranteed painted item and a chance at something more rare and exclusive to the crate. If they will be drops make cases tradable so people with no interest can still trade them to people for other cosmetic items. Don't have them fall in place of other cosmetic items, instead do away with keys and have a case be a one dollar purchase like in Overwatch. Like Smite show how much the pot is growing in game and let us know our money is going towards growing the e-sports scene.

What I don't want: TF2 or CSGO system of one item per case, 2.50 a key and abysmal drop rates for anything worth it. It's not the system that makes Valve implementation bad it's how expensive and unfair it is. Overwatch did it much better.

Wouldn't it make sense for this update to be the volleyball mode? It's already been shown to be in development on Reddit right? It would be perfect for the summer. I kinda hope they went whole hog and added a water surface and boats if it does turn out to be that.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Wouldn't it make sense for this update to be the volleyball mode? It's already been shown to be in development on Reddit right? It would be perfect for the summer. I kinda hope they went whole hog and added a water surface and boats if it does turn out to be that.

It needs to be at the beach with waves crashing against the side of the arena.

hollomat

Banned
For some reason I could never get into this when I owned it on PS4. Just got it on PC through last weeks humble bundle though and I've been having a blast. Definitely need to get better, but it's a great feeling when your team wins because of a goal you made.

We have about 50 gaffers there now. It's a great way to identify people from here to play with on PS4. It's a private community. So you can submit a request to join and we'll approve you. J. Bravo, V1lla21, and I are moderators there. Just be sure to let us know your NeoGAF username if you're not already in the official "NeoGAF." PS4 community (we use that to help verify gaffers when needed). Or you can let us know your PSN ID here and we'll send you an invite. Thanks and see you there!

There is also a Steam group.

Finally leveled up my Certified Plunger to a Certified Veteran Guardian Plunger.

How long until I can auction it off to a bunch of YouTube channel 13-year-olds for $10,000?

Finally leveled up my Certified Plunger to a Certified Veteran Guardian Plunger.

How long until I can auction it off to a bunch of YouTube channel 13-year-olds for $10,000?

I hope trading is part of the next big update they are showing within a few weeks. My pink lowrider rims better get me something good.

TheKeyPit

Banned
How do you deal with situations where you are sitting in the goal and your random teammate goes for the ball, you expect him to hit it, but he misses, leaving you exposed to a shot by the oponnent which you can't clear anymore?
I probably should assume that they always miss...

+ You get "What a save!" as a comment from them, lol. Idiots.

Hasney

How do you deal with situations where you are sitting in the goal and your random teammate goes for the ball, you expect him to hit it, but he misses, leaving you exposed to a shot by the oponnent which you can't clear anymore?

Don't assume they'll miss to rush the ball because that could also leave you open. Just be in a position to try and clear up after them.

You spam Nice Shot at them next time they miss a shot a on goal. In all seriousness I have had matches where my team mate is whiffing every hit on the ball and if you make one mistake they rage and start spinning on the spot in front of goal telling you to forfeit.

The most annoying thing I find at the moment is players who don't trust you when you are on the ball and just ball chase constantly. You end up hitting each other all the time or make a great pass in to the centre only to find that the guy was sat right on your tail when you made the pass so is in no position to go for the ball.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Don't assume they'll miss to rush the ball because that could also leave you open. Just be in a position to try and clear up after them.

That's the right word. Can't do more than that.

-----

You spam Nice Shot at them next time they miss a shot a on goal. In all seriousness I have had matches where my team mate is whiffing every hit on the ball and if you make one mistake they rage and start spinning on the spot in front of goal telling you to forfeit.

The most annoying thing I find at the moment is players who don't trust you when you are on the ball and just ball chase constantly. You end up hitting each other all the time or make a great pass in to the centre only to find that the guy was sat right on your tail when you made the pass so is in no position to go for the ball.

All these problems wouldn't exist if all players could rely on each other in a match, but get in a match where someone misses the ball more than once, I lose trust in that player. I know the next time he wants to hit that ball he's going to miss.
That's the problem playing with randoms and why I just can't get out of fucking Challenger 2 in Ranked Solo Standard.

VLiberty

Can we also rant about people that play wonderfully against you but barely touch the ball if they're paired with you the match after?

Played for the first time in a month last night.

Can confirm this, Mimics (the ones that drop back on defense with you already there, who wont leave when you dont but will if you do), Snorlaxes (pull in front of you tending goal but just...sit there...), hitters who always go for the ball even if it'll push back towards our side of the field, and wanna-be Kronovis that pass to themselves endlessly and only take the most defendable of shots leading to fastbreak city are all still a thing.

I was gone from the OT for a long time, was there another tourney after the one I did? I can do another but there probably won't be any prizes for winning. It'd be ran much better this time. Lol.
Would love to have another tournament. I might be able to help if we can run it within the next month.

What do people want to play? Doubles or 3s?

v1lla21

I hope trading is part of the next big update they are showing within a few weeks. My pink lowrider rims better get me something good.
Pink lowrider rims? I need those.
Would love to have another tournament. I might be able to help if we can run it within the next month.

I think we should do 3s as the last one was doubles. Next month should be fine.

TheKeyPit

Banned

Poor Xbox players will be left out :(

--------

Edit:

Please tell me that I should finally stop trying to play Ranked Solo Standard. I'll never move out of Challenger 2.

Zemm

I played this game at launch and thought I was decent, but then stopped playing for some reason. Tried it again today and I am absolute dog shit at it.

A visual representation...

giphy.gif

dsk1210

I played this game at launch and thought I was decent, but then stopped playing for some reason. Tried it again today and I am absolute dog shit at it.

A visual representation...

giphy.gif

It can work the other way as well. Sometimes a break from the game has you charged and refreshed with new ideas.

Pedersen

Somebody playing on Steam now? Nobody on my list is on and in dire need of somebody to play with after a hard day of painting. Kicking down a few beers and listening to kick ass music! Add SlakaPong plz

v1lla21

Somebody playing on Steam now? Nobody on my list is on and in dire need of somebody to play with after a hard day of painting. Kicking down a few beers and listening to kick ass music! Add SlakaPong plz
Damn dude I always thought you were a random dude I added while playing lol.

Pedersen

I guess I should be more active here in terms of the amount I play, but that's the way she goes! Does this mean you down to party up?:O

TheKeyPit

Banned
Why can't every match with randoms be like the last one? Everyone knows what to do and rotates pretty good. That was fun!

Edit: Wow. Division 5 in Challenger 2 and my Xbox forces an update on me during a Ranked match. I'm not surprised to be back on Div 4 when it finishes.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Bollocks

won against a challenger elite, next game he's on my team, says don't drag me down again or I'll switch sides. score is 1:1, suddenly he snaps and owngoals it, wtf

another game I score the equalizer, next kickoff my teammate doesn't go for the ball, he had to write a chat message instead because he was upset with the other team. goalie goes for the boost, gg thanks for nothing.

also they should display the ranks at the start, this way you know if can rely on your teammates to defend, because sometime I play with similar ranked players and it all works out and the next game I get matched with prospect players and they don't know nothing about rotation or spatial awareness.

Bollocks

ffs challenger 1 again, I don't get it, how my teammates can fluctuate so much.
normally I don't get angry but this,.. I'm about to break something.

^^^^^ It's mind boggling at times. Thankfully, just when things appear bleak you get good mates, play loose, tilt subsides, and all is right with the world again :D

5SWpm93ObZcNG.gif

(yes I'm a sadist who likes to watch goals from other team's POV)

Ace 8095

Is there a group of Steam players on GAF? I've got around 700 games played and am looking for some slightly above scrub tier players to have some fun around 8-10 est.

Bollocks

I don't get it, made it to challenger 2 again, so I drive the ball along on the wall, ready to center, who's chasing me? my 2 teammates. If 1 would chase me but 2, are they blind?

20s to go, my teammate in no position to do anything with the ball, still goes after it so that I miss the easy clear, plays it center instead, open goal, overtime.
same teammate is up on the wall, wants to clear but centers it instead over our goalie, gg.

and with shit like this I lost every game so far since I moved up to challenger 2 again, currently division 1 just waiting to get relegated again in record time.
oh I won the last game 9:0, I don't get this game.

2v2 ranked (solo) is so much better to player than 3v3 solo ranked.

I guess the less people in the game, the less people to fuck up all my plays.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Just had a couple of great matches in Ranked Doubles with a friend and I'm nearly back to Rising Star.

To the posts above:
Ranked 3v3 Solo in Challenger is like a coin toss. You either get teammates that play good and you'd really like to team up with them again or you get those with which you'll never want to play again. How did those even get to Challenger 2?

Just had a couple of great matches in Ranked Doubles with a friend and I'm nearly back to Rising Star.

To the posts above:
Ranked 3v3 Solo in Challenger is like a coin toss. You either get teammates that play good and you'd really like to team up with them again or you get those with which you'll never want to play again. How did those even get to Challenger 2?

I assume there must be an extreme amount of carrying going on. Or Prospect ranks are so crowded a bunch are regularly farted out into challenger before dropping back to prospect again.

Noobcraft

To the posts above:
Hey we should 2v2 ranked again sometime. I keep playing with randoms and they tend to vary widely in skill level lol. I've gone down an entire rank x_x

J. Bravo

i had a p bad start to a game and someone called me the "worst legend ever". i made that my name and didn't lose a single solo 3s match after that and made it to challenger elite div 5 i think.

I don't get it, made it to challenger 2 again, so I drive the ball along on the wall, ready to center, who's chasing me? my 2 teammates. If 1 would chase me but 2, are they blind?

20s to go, my teammate in no position to do anything with the ball, still goes after it so that I miss the easy clear, plays it center instead, open goal, overtime.
same teammate is up on the wall, wants to clear but centers it instead over our goalie, gg.

and with shit like this I lost every game so far since I moved up to challenger 2 again, currently division 1 just waiting to get relegated again in record time.
oh I won the last game 9:0, I don't get this game.

I can only assume some cats got bored chasing laser pointers and have discovered the joys of RL.

Top Bottom