• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

HYDE

Banned
Not a single Metroid game... sad.
Nintendo is not ready for HD or making games that display prowess anymore.

skull kid

suicide-o.gif

I thought it looked great. New mechanics and level types, graphics looked excellent, and the dynamic camera was wonderful and fresh.
sadly I agree, should have seen it coming a mile away given R's strong sales.

One of the most competent studios on the planet, an incredibly talented group that could do any project in the world and they're stuck doing DONKEY KONG?? The people that gave us Metroid Prime, doing a 2d side scroller???

You know they also developed the first one?

Though I am also kinda bummed. Retro are the "graphic gods" of Nintendo and to see something like that...
I mean it will be a great and fun game, but it also looked more like a Wii-Up-Port in the Stream at least.

It'll be a great game, day one, but god DAMN, let this studio do something new. Way too talented to not be able to create their own worlds. Give me a new IP.

Gambit

The game itself looks fantastic and it is a great shame it's tainted by such disappointment. Disappointment I share.

I just hope Retro is now big enough to handle two games. I don't want them ending up as only the DK factory.

Beth Cyra

Here are my opinions

If that retro game that everyone's been talking about is Donkey Kong, I have literally lost all faith in Nintendo, and will have to refrain from punching a whole in the wall.

One of the most competent studios on the planet, an incredibly talented group that could do any project in the world and they're stuck doing DONKEY KONG?? The people that gave us Metroid Prime, doing a 2d side scroller??? Who would be so incompetent to allow that to happen, the Wii U needs a killer game that drives systems, and their best studio gives us Donkey Kong.... I don't believe it, I can't.

I know I can't be alone in hoping that they were doing something else, maybe some science fiction or epic fantasy type game, or even a new Metroid, to get a 2d sidescroller which every Indie developer and their mother are doing now a days is just....... its just

frustrating

Donky Kong can and will push more systems then Metroid has any fucking hope to.

People, especially Metroid and Retro fans need to get over themselves and realize, the thing they keep saying Retro needs to make, a blockbuster that can move platforms IS Donkey Kong and it's exactly what they are making.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
DKCR, one of the best platfomers of all time, gets a HD sequel and people complain because I don't fucking know

myself, I'm damn excited if it's even 80% as good as the first

My heart did sink a little that it wasn't metroid or something new, but their dk game on the wii was awesome, so I can deal with this.

Plus underwater sections and diddy kong's girlfriend remind me of dkc2!

And if its coming out this year then hopefully they work on something very different right after that.

It's so fucking boring

Microsoft has Killer Instinct and Nintendo has Donkey Kong Country, two shitty Rare games that should have stayed dead and buried

DKC: Returns is one of my absolute favorite platformers ever, so I'm psyched.

Sure, I wish they showed their graphical abilities on a different type of game, but, I doubt that's all they're working on. It took them about 1 1/2-2 years to make the original Returns, no way it took them twice as long for this.

Awesome, a followup to one of the best platformers of all time!

I know, how unbelievably horrible!

Seriously though, DKC was one of my most favorite franchises growing up as a kid, and DKCR was like a dream come true. I fully support another DKC title by Retro. It also helps that we get some actually interesting looking enemies (never cared for the Tikis) and the return of Dixie.

I just don't like the DKC franchise. The last game was really well made, but it just wasn't for me. I feel like Retro's talent is being wasted on DKC as well. They're so damn good at creating this giant believable worlds where every corner feels unique, let's have them make a side scroller.

K2DQ0Bm.gif

Yeah I'm sure it'll be a good well made game, just not for me, not what I was hoping for from Retro. Not even expecting a Metroid game, but let them do Star Tropics, or Star Fox, or a new fucking IP.

They should have made it a 3D DK like DK64 or something. 2.5D isn't impressive on a console. Not saying they should never make 2.5D games on consoles but we saw it on Wii and again, it's not going to convince people to buy a Wii U.

scitek

I'll take it. Game'll likely be 1080p60 as opposed to something 3D. It'll be fucking fun, too. This thread's dumb.

The Boat

DKCR is one of the best games ever in my eyes, so I'm happy with this. On the other hand, I wanted something new, so I have mixed feelings.

Futureman

My guess is they have two teams at Retro now. With the groundwork laid down with the first DKCR, this Wii U title was easier to push out and get done. 2014 will be Retro's premiere title.

Not

Banned
I called it. They put it on the F*CKING LANYARD. I didn't want to believe. I didn't want to believe they could spend 3 years on a SEQUEL.

But they could.

Break free, Retro. Nintendo no longer is worth it.

Break free.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People need to realize something:

Look at the sales numbers of the last DKCR game and then look at the sales of the last Metroid game.

THAT'S why Retro was working on DKC.

traveler

Not Wario
Here are my opinions

If that retro game that everyone's been talking about is Donkey Kong, I have literally lost all faith in Nintendo, and will have to refrain from punching a whole in the wall.

One of the most competent studios on the planet, an incredibly talented group that could do any project in the world and they're stuck doing DONKEY KONG?? The people that gave us Metroid Prime, doing a 2d side scroller??? Who would be so incompetent to allow that to happen, the Wii U needs a killer game that drives systems, and their best studio gives us Donkey Kong.... I don't believe it, I can't.

I know I can't be alone in hoping that they were doing something else, maybe some science fiction or epic fantasy type game, or even a new Metroid, to get a 2d sidescroller which every Indie developer and their mother are doing now a days is just....... its just

frustrating

Side scrollers are inherently worse than science fiction and epic fantasy? What? You aren't even comparing equivalent terms- side scroller is a subgenre of platforming, the other two terms just describe setting. They don't say anything of what the game would be and the game is all that matters. Not the setting, not the target age of the ip, not even the ip itself, but the play.

For my money, DKCR was a better title than every single game of the past generation with the exception of the Galaxies, Portal 2, HL2Ep 2 and Dota 2, if that even counts. The sequel will likely be better than any other game present at this E3, unless Mario can live up to his predecessor. This is only a disappointment in the sense that I can only hope that Retro would bring the same level of quality to a new IP as well, but it would be incredibly inaccurate for me to say that I find the game's existence itself a disappointment.

rjc571

Banned
I don't mind getting a sequel to the best 2D platformer of all time, but why does it still look like it could have been done on the Wii?

My guess is they have two teams at Retro now. With the groundwork laid down with the first DKCR, this Wii U title was easier to push out and get done. 2014 will be Retro's premiere title.
Keep believing; it reminds me of the early post-Microsoft Rare days. I don't think anyone thinks DK will be a bad game; it's just that strategically it's baffling. Given the extremely limited third party support, didn't someone at nintendo think, "Hey, you know we may need a 3D adventure game to broaden our library"? I seriously think they are floundering at this point and Wii U's limited library is bound to sink it completely. How are they going to sell systems this fall?

People need to realize something:

Look at the sales numbers of the last DKCR game and then look at the sales of the last Metroid game.

THAT'S why Retro was working on DKC.

We all already know this. But we'll see how it does on a system that has no appeal to the west and continues to put up some of the most horrendous numbers ever seen for a console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom