• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

DTKT

I'm confused.... how are you guys getting dress up or undress Shepard? Did you already get the full game?

During the past few days, Bioware has been running an event where they launched copies of ME3 in space using weather balloons. Lucky individuals were able to secure these copies as they landed. They are now posting tid bits of info on the internet.

i-Lo

During the past few days, Bioware has been running an event where they launched copies of ME3 in space using weather balloons. Lucky individuals were able to secure these copies as they landed. They are now posting tid bits of info on the internet.

I thought they were to remain undisclosed due to NDA?

Well if that's the case, I want to know if I can switch from male to female Shepard even after importing the save files from ME1 and 2?

DTKT

I thought they were to remain undisclosed due to NDA?

Well if that's the case, I want to know if I can switch from male to female Shepard even after importing the save files from ME1 and 2?

The NDA prohibits them from posting heavy spoilers or talk about key characters. Small stuff like dress and the different armor types doesn't seem to matter.

As for changing your gender, I don't think it's possible to change if you import a save.

i-Lo

The NDA prohibits them from posting heavy spoilers or talk about key characters. Small stuff like dress and the different armor types doesn't seem to matter.

As for changing your gender, I don't think it's possible to change if you import a save.

FUUUUU... darn it.

And, thank you.

jgminto

Do we know if we'll be able to customize imported characters faces at all? I really don't want to be stuck with my current one.

I'm confused.... how are you guys getting dress up or undress Shepard? Did you already get the full game?

The clothes people have been finding so far are:

* N7 Dark Leather Jacket/Denim Jeans
* N7 Hoodie (which looks awesome)
* Biker
* Slightly modified formal dress

It's Sears, so I wouldn't expect release date delivery. Maybe if you got the most expensive shipping, it might be possible. But again, Sears.

Dammmn that is fast.

Kyoufu

My thoughts on the demo:

It feels like ME2 never happened (story wise). It feels like this is a continuation of ME1 to ME3, and ME2 was just a bad filler in between, like anime filler episodes. Of course once they inject more ME2 stuff into the game then I'll be reminded of the horror again but the way I see it, they could totally retcon everything in ME2 and get away with it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Srsly though, does the black crush in this game bother anyone else? It's so fucking horrendous.

Coxswain

Yea they had, visible in the squad menu after creation.

Only if you recustomized your Shepard's appearance at the beginning of ME2. None of my imported saves have a face code, whether I look in the squad menu, in character creation at the beginning of the game, or even when I open up the file in a save editor.

If there are any GafBros who are looking for the X360 N7 Edition, it looks like Sears might be able to hook you up:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05841492000P

Is this gonna be one of those truly hard to get Mass Effect CEs?

I pre-ordered at Amazon about a month or so ago just in case...

Srsly though, does the black crush in this game bother anyone else? It's so fucking horrendous.

The 360 tends to be a big offender of this.

Has anyone compared the 360 and PS3 versions?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Only if you recustomized your Shepard's appearance at the beginning of ME2. None of my imported saves have a face code, whether I look in the squad menu, in character creation at the beginning of the game, or even when I open up the file in a save editor.

I didn't re-customize mine and I had face codes each time I imported it.

clockpunk

I do hope GAF might set up some sort of community match making thread - as I cannot wait to play through the full mp version, but my usual two colleagues have decided they are playing exclusively with 2 other friends of theirs. It has caused much animosity already, and I dislike randomers, so... yes, come release day, I hope something might be set up here!

Kyoufu

So uh, how do you lower the cooldown of your biotics? No matter which weapon I use, I have a 21 second cooldown on Charge.

edit: nvm, demo forces you to carry multiple weapons. Got it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So uh, how do you lower the cooldown of your biotics? No matter which weapon I use, I have a 21 second cooldown on Charge.

As far as i know, its the total number of guns you have on your character that affect the cooldowns, not just the one you're currently using.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So despite my whining earlier, I now realise why my ME2 face code creates a completely different looking character in the ME3 demo; the code itself isn't correct, and won't be for any ME1 imported Shepard.

Seems like it's common knowledge, but I didn't know. Any face code appearing from a ME1 imported Shepard's ME2 profile is just one for a preset face, and not at all accurate to where the custom sliders are. Found a website you can use to generate a mostly accurate code, popped it into the ME3 demo, and the face looks much closer to what I originally had.

Still not perfect, but that appears to be a ME3 problem.

Coxswain

I didn't re-customize mine and I had face codes each time I imported it.

It's very strange that you have a face code. When you import a face from ME1 into ME2, it's not recreated in the ME2 editor at all - it directly imports the morph file from ME1, which is basically the raw vertices that make up the shape of your character's face. It's not compatible with the ME2 (and presumably ME3) customization sliders at all.

Have you actually checked to see whether it corresponds to your character's face? Sometimes if you start customizing from scratch, then back out and just take your imported face, then a code will display, but it doesn't correspond to the face that your Shepard actually has - it corresponds to whatever you had the customization settings at before you backed out of the customization screen.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So despite my whining earlier, I now realise why my ME2 face code creates a completely different looking character in the ME3 demo; the code itself isn't correct, and won't be for any ME1 imported Shepard.

Seems like it's common knowledge, but I didn't know. Any face code appearing from a ME1 imported Shepard's ME2 profile is just one for a preset face, and not at all accurate to where the custom sliders are. Found a website you can use to generate a mostly accurate code, popped it into the ME3 demo, and the face looks much closer to what I originally had.

Still not perfect, but that appears to be a ME3 problem.

I imagine it'll be accurate (as it is in ME2 when imported from ME1) when imported via the ME2-ME3 import utility.

It's very strange that you have a face code. When you import a face from ME1 into ME2, it's not recreated in the ME2 editor at all - it directly imports the morph file from ME1, which is basically the raw vertices that make up the shape of your character's face. It's not compatible with the ME2 (and presumably ME3) customization sliders at all.

Have you actually checked to see whether it corresponds to your character's face? Sometimes if you start customizing from scratch, then back out and just take your imported face, then a code will display, but it doesn't correspond to the face that your Shepard actually has - it corresponds to whatever you had the customization settings at before you backed out of the customization screen.

Yes I've checked the code and it corresponds quite accurately to what my imported Shepard looks like if used from scratch apart from hair color. I don't recall if I did any "mid-customization backing out" before picking the imported face (it's been 1.5-2 years) but I suppose that could be the reason I have face codes displaying in my three play-throughs to this day.

Coxswain

We're talking about single-player right?

Unfortunately there's no weapon selection screen in the singleplayer portion of the demo. It's a really poor (SP) demo overall, between the multitude of problems with the intro/tutorial phase, and the majority of classes being useless in the second phase due to excessive cooldowns.

You really need to fire up the multiplayer component if you want to see how the combat is actually going to feel.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
According to this you have to re-create your ME1 imported face regardless in ME3 (if you don't do the trickery described within).

http://fuckyeah-masseffect.tumblr.com/post/18171019818/importing-your-me1-sheps-face-into-me3

This is exactly what I did, and yeah, outside of the data that doesn't convert properly you end up with the most accurate code based import. I really like to see where the dev confirmed imports without a code wont work though. Not surprised, but I hadn't seen anything confirmed, just typical PR dancing around questions.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Lol well yea, interesting. I'm wondering what the context would be for Shep to walk around without a shirt on with Ash o__O

Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it looks like the photos are just from the demo cutscenes with the alternate costumes edited in-place of the regular outfit.

Top Bottom