• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus PC performance thread

teokrazia

This seems to be dependent on the benchmarking setup and as such is likely caused by 970 running out of VRAM. GameGPU doesn't show any issues with 970 when compared to 1060 for example: http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-test-gpu-cpu

Perhaps they have Image Streaming maxed.
It's a pretty demanding setting, memory side.

Before dinner I've VPNned and tried briefly the game.
With everything maxed minus that, 1080p and 100 FoV, I had 70 FPS of average.

GTX 970, of course.

dr_rus

Uh, on launch I get a message at the bottom saying "Message type not defined", and then when I go to the main menu there's nothing there except for the background and music... same issue on 'Safe Mode' launch too. I can't screenshot because the steam overlay doesn't work either. It worked the first time I opened the game but as soon as I changed the resolution my entire computer restarted, and now this is happening.

1080ti, latest drivers
i7 4790k
32gb ram

Verify integrity and try giving the settings folder (%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\MachineGames) full access rights for everyone.

Gitaroo

We have no idea what the fp16 perf gain is

If I understand the google translated article correctly, Vega gpu is always fp16, performance is up to 56% of polaris gpu at the same level.

Holy shit at the monstrous difference between 970 and a 1060 on that benchmark. Almost 50% more power in the 1060

Like someone mention, may be a vram limit of 970

I thought the One X didn't support the double packed fp16 that full Vega did?

It does not, and ps4 pro does, thats why it will be intetesting to see the difference

Ps4 pro couch 4k* HDR or PC gsync >60fps 1440p!?

Life is hard.

Ps4 pro is also 1440p, and I bet it is not running in ultra pc setting like doom. And is hdr even confirmed for consoles at all?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey people is the game 21:9?
I am getting one or those screens again.
3440x1440 i think.

Will a GTX1060 6gb be enough to run this game max on that resolution?

Thanks!!

dogen

If I understand the google translated article correctly, Vega gpu is always fp16, performance is up to 56% of polaris gpu at the same level.

"The AMD flagship is a maximum of 56 percent faster than the older Polaris graphics card, which is exactly the distance that the graphics cards average on other games in 2.560 × 1,440."

The performance difference is the same as normal.

"The AMD flagship is a maximum of 56 percent faster than the older Polaris graphics card, which is exactly the distance that the graphics cards average on other games in 2.560 × 1,440."

The performance difference is the same as normal.

yeah i have no idea what hes on about. to even think fp16 would give a net performance gain of 56% is rather insane

dmr87

Uh, on launch I get a message at the bottom saying "Message type not defined", and then when I go to the main menu there's nothing there except for the background and music... same issue on 'Safe Mode' launch too. I can't screenshot because the steam overlay doesn't work either. It worked the first time I opened the game but as soon as I changed the resolution my entire computer restarted, and now this is happening

Got the same thing. BSOD on first startup when I tried to change resolution, and now the menu is gone.

Also on Nvidia, and Gsync.

lmimmfn

Shit port, keeps rebooting my stable for 6 months PC. Now it doesnt even get passed the brightness menu.

Uninstalled it, lesson learned on preordering, get it 2-3 months later at half price for something that works

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So caught between playing this or Destiny 2 this weekend. May just flip a coin. Damn if the game doesn't look great.

Going with Destiny 2, I've been really enjoying it. I can't wait to play Wolfenstein but it's SP at the end of the day, it can wait. I want to gear my D2 character before the raid hits next week.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Think a gtx 670 and i5 could run this fine like it did with the new order?

With medium settings at 1080P with low shadows should be fine ?

SRTtoZ

Going with Destiny 2, I've been really enjoying it. I can't wait to play Wolfenstein but it's SP at the end of the day, it can wait. I want to gear my D2 character before the raid hits next week.

Same. Ill be all over this once the first sale hits. Hopefully it runs as good as DOOM on my 1070.

Ruff

Anyone know the console command to disable Head bobbing. One from the last game doesn't seem to work and it's especially obnoxious in this one.

Soren01

Uh, on launch I get a message at the bottom saying "Message type not defined", and then when I go to the main menu there's nothing there except for the background and music... same issue on 'Safe Mode' launch too. I can't screenshot because the steam overlay doesn't work either. It worked the first time I opened the game but as soon as I changed the resolution my entire computer restarted, and now this is happening.

1080ti, latest drivers
i7 4790k
32gb ram
You can fix the missing menu by deleting your config file in C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Saved Games/Machine Games and then disabling steam cloud sync. You'll have to redo your options afterward.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/612880/discussions/0/1479856439028243888/

dr_rus

PC gaming wiki says there's no frame rate cao, can anyone here confirm if it's possible to play at 120/144 for?

Sure:

newcolossus_x64vk_201thjxq.jpg

It's an advanced version of Doom's Tech 6 which doesn't have a cap at all it seems (Doom is capped at 200 fps).

i7-4770
GTX 1080ti
1440p G-Sync

This thing screams. Don't think I've gotten less than 120 with settings maxed. Still fun, though I've only played for about 30 minutes. It's a winner.

prophecy0

i7-4770
GTX 1080ti
1440p G-Sync

This thing screams. Don't think I've gotten less than 120 with settings maxed. Still fun, though I've only played for about 30 minutes. It's a winner.

Perfect. I have a 4790k, 1080ti, and a 1440p monitor. I just bought a Destiny II, as well as a Nintendo Switch + Mario Odyssey but I think Wolfenstein will occupy my weekend.

I'm getting this error whenever I'm trying to start the game. I've verified the game files. Installing the latest DirectX seems kind of stupid as I'm running the fall creators update of Win 10. Shouldn't I have the latest DirecX already?

idCommonLocal::Init() time 80: 1.275s
NetGetVersionChecksum - checksum : 2554728929
DownloadPlatformTitleStorage: Loaded
WARNING: No address, error: 126
? @ 0x2259c40d( ) + bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )
? @ 0xfffffffe( ) + bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )
? @ 0xd41ef1e0( ) + bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )
? @ 0x26edc6f0( ) + bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )
? @ 0x26edc6f0( ) + bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )
? @ 0x00000000( ) + bytes () : ** UNKNOWN **( ** FUNC_PARAM_ERROR ** )
FATAL ERROR: Failed to create XAudio2 engine. Try installing the latest DirectX.

EDIT: I downloaded and installed this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109 and now it's working. Apparently it's a fairly common issue when running on a DirectX higher than 9.

EDIT2: And I got a BSOD when I returned to the game -_-

dmr87

You can fix the missing menu by deleting your config file in C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Saved Games/Machine Games and then disabling steam cloud sync. You'll have to redo your options afterward.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/612880/discussions/0/1479856439028243888/

After BSODing and getting the missing menu I reinstalled the game, did the above and below.

388.00 Nvidia drivers, GTX 1080 Ti.

I skipped 1 and 2.

1. Download the latest driver fix: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4575
2. Set your scaling in the display settings (right click on desktop>display settings) to %100.
3. Launch the game and lower the setting to low. DO NOT TOUCH RESOLUTION.
4. Restart game.
5. Set your desired resolution.
6. Restart game.
7. Set graphics to desired settings.
8. You should be good to go.

Thanks Karl_Dilkington47 over at ResetEra.

Performance is really nice, Vulkan screaming.

Vash63

Well, changes the rendering approach from forward+ to deferred =) On practice and in this game the difference is quite minimal.

I'd expect some difference in anti-aliasing at the very least. Forward rendering usually has far superior AA.

scoobs

i7-4770
GTX 1080ti
1440p G-Sync

This is my PC! Glad to hear the game runs well, and even more glad to hear its not capped at 60fps like the last game was. If I can finish up South Park I'll jump in to some Wolfenstein soon it sounds like

Zurick

Banned
Is this not actually Play Anywhere? I bought it on Xbox after hearing it was play anywhere but it does not appear to be.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is this not actually Play Anywhere? I bought it on Xbox after hearing it was play anywhere but it does not appear to be.

There is no WinStore version. The Microsoft Store does sell the PC CE, though, which may be where the misunderstanding came from.

Md Ray

Wolfenstein II The New Colossus GTX 970 OC | 1080p Mein Leben! Settings | FRAME-RATE TEST

GTX 970 averaging around 70-80fps at 1080p, Mein Leben settings.

970 can't hold 60fps at 1080p going by the benchmark on computerbase.de. Its really time to retire this old cow & volta need to hurry out. Huge performance gain for RPM, xbox one x vs ps4pro support will be very interestjng. 56% perform for fp16 vega card compare to something at the same power level on polaris architecture if I understand the google translation correctly.

Holy shit at the monstrous difference between 970 and a 1060 on that benchmark. Almost 50% more power in the 1060

Maxwell going the kepler route. /j

GTX 970 can run this game perfectly fine at over 60fps even at 1440p with adaptive res in play, and using settings equivalent to consoles (which I'm assuming is around High preset more or less).

When OC'd, it can be on par GTX 1060. Just need to knock down VRAM-heavy settings, like textures, a notch or two down from max quality.

xVodevil

Wolfenstein II The New Colossus GTX 970 OC | 1080p Mein Leben! Settings | FRAME-RATE TEST

GTX 970 can run this game perfectly fine at over 60fps even at 1440p with adaptive res in play, and using settings equivalent to consoles (which I'm assuming is around High preset more or less).

When OC'd, it can be on par GTX 1060. Just need to knock down VRAM-heavy settings, like textures, a notch or two down from max quality.

Sounds good enough!

The /j meant joke

Vash63

Wow, the game runs like a dream. Had some issues getting 1440p / 144Hz as it kept trying to default me to 60Hz but once I got that fixed it's been absolutely perfect. I don't think it's dropped under 100FPS the first 90 minutes or so on my 1080.

prophecy0

Wow, the game runs like a dream. Had some issues getting 1440p / 144Hz as it kept trying to default me to 60Hz but once I got that fixed it's been absolutely perfect. I don't think it's dropped under 100FPS the first 90 minutes or so on my 1080.

How did you get the game to go above 60Hz? I can't seem to figure it out.

This game is a hot mess for Nvidia users. I can’t change my resolution to 4K without the game hard rebooting my stable PC. Even if you get it working lots of users on the steam forums are reporting major instability issues as well. I’m refunding my Steam purchase and buying it on PS4 Pro. Really sad to do so but I’m not waiting on this shit. This game is one of three that I’ve been most excited for this year.

I’ll rebuy it on the PC when it’s the GOTY edition sometime in the future.

Vash63

This game is a hot mess for Nvidia users. I can’t change my resolution to 4K without the game hard rebooting my stable PC. Even if you get it working lots of users on the steam forums are reporting major instability issues as well. I’m refunding my Steam purchase and buying it on PS4 Pro. Really sad to do so but I’m not waiting on this shit. This game is one of three that I’ve been most excited for this year.

I’ll rebuy it on the PC when it’s the GOTY edition sometime in the future.

That's a known issue, Nvidia put out a hotfix driver already. No need to refund it for an issue that was fixed prior to launch:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4575

I had that problem on Win10 / GTX 1080.

Top Bottom