• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

FINALLY!

Its about time we finally got a crusader of our own in the media.

We all need to rally behind this guy and give him all our support.

Nikodemos

I must say I am a bit impressed.
Some of them were really cheap. Powermonger CD edition was $1.5, IIRC, on account of being an extremely old game.
Obviously, PC gamers had to be okay with used games disappearing while console gamers are not okay with it.
I wasn't okay with it when it first started (I think HL2 was one of the most prominent first games to feature online DRM, then came a lot of others, like Medieval II, Bioshock, etc.) and I'm still not okay with it. I haven't bought a single title directly off Steam. My entire Steam library is composed of games I bought during sales on other sites, and I liked/wanted them strongly enough that I put up with Valve's parasitic client. It was Steam's increasing ubiquity which sank GMG's initially-implemented buyback scheme, and for that I despise them. The appearance of GOG, DotEmu, Gamersgate and other "you buy it, it's yours" providers, along with generally low game prices and aggressively-costed sales (even for DRM-ed games like the ones on Gamefly) are pretty much the only thing which kept me into gaming.
Conversely, console gamers are okay with paying $60 a year for online gameplay, while PC gamers were not okay with it.
I definitely wouldn't pay money for online. Heck, I'm not paying right now.

Iacobellis

Just Nintendo and Sony getting the positive response, just how I like it.

I'm glad people are finally realizing how greedy Microsoft is.

bunbun777

Whoa gotta admit this surprised me a little. Nice to see though. Hopefully MS admits failure and goes back to their "gaming for gamers, made by gamers" pitch and stops trying to hose everyone.

Just Nintendo and Sony getting the positive response, just how I like it.

Yessir, none of these other console manufacuters are greedy. No sir. WiiU didn't come out as dated hardware with a premium price point. PS3 didn't launch at $599. That shit didn't happen. It's all about the consumers!

RobbieH

Yeah, this story isn't going away. BBC, CNN, Forbes, NBC, Time and The Wall Street Journal have all reported on it:

A few things to note:

• VG247 have been denied E3 interviews.
  • TechnoBuffalo confirmed in their article that they've been also been denied interviews, as have some of their colleagues.
  • The list of confirmed outlets denied interviews is Giant Bomb, GI.biz, MCV, Tapezilla, VG247 and TechnoBuffalo. "Scheduling conflict", indeed.
  • While the Forbes pieces are from contributors, they're currently the most read articles on the entire site.

Edit: The story is currently on the front page of BBC, CNN, Forbes, NBC, Time and The Wall Street Journal.

Haunted

Chris Plante you say? Good man, will make sure to read his next couple articles as well.

edit: my god, that list!

/single tear

Nikodemos

Today's Microsoft is what you end up with if you mix a generally middling intelligence level with adult-onset ADHD plus a bunch of MBAs obtained at 'parrot farms' where a bevy of numpties repeat the same tired old bs at each other, and put this milkshake of ineptitude at the helm.
The entire thing smells of desperation, that is, it has a whiff like sweaty taint, with the musky undertones of those stale two last droplets that invariably end up in your briefs.

Yessir, none of these other console manufacuters are greedy. No sir. WiiU didn't come out as dated hardware with a premium price point. PS3 didn't launch at $599. That shit didn't happen. It's all about the consumers!

Well to be fair 599 was the definition of not being greedy. They lost over 200 dollars on every system. That was more arrogance than greed.

BLXHe4l.jpg

Amazing.

Vyrance

Glad to see so many publications calling out Microsoft for these draconian policies. This could be the worst E3 ever, especially if Sony follows on some of those policies :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Glad to see so many publications calling out Microsoft for these draconian policies. This could be the worst E3 ever, especially if Sony follows on some of those policies :(

Indeed. This will be one long weekend. Praying for some concrete leaks.

The funny thing is this will probably be the best games E3 in years, but the cloud hanging over the industry at the moment is so dark

Haunted

God, just re-reading their clarifications makes me so angry. Thinking about not even watching the MS conference at this point. I honestly don't even want to engage with these fuckers right now.

The funny thing is this will probably be the best games E3 in years, but the cloud hanging over the industry at the moment is so dark
Let's not forget that this is (for now) just one company doing this. At the moment, there are still viable alternatives and MS can still fall flat on their face. When Sony follows suit, that's when you can start crying that the sky is falling.

Iacobellis

Indeed. This will be one long weekend. Praying for some concrete leaks.

Your fucking avatar! HAHAHA!

No, but in all serious, I might just blackout starting tonight until Tuesday morning. I want E3 to be surprise after surprise for me.

PBY

Banned
Today's Microsoft is what you end up with if you mix a generally middling intelligence level with adult-onset ADHD plus a bunch of MBAs obtained at 'parrot farms' where a bevy of numpties repeat the same tired old bs at each other, and put this milkshake of ineptitude at the helm.
The entire thing smells of desperation, that is, it has a whiff like sweaty taint, with the musky undertones of those stale two last droplets that invariably end up in your briefs.
Wow this is so off base. Have you ever worked in a corporate setting? Have you been to business school?

Well to be fair 599 was the definition of not being greedy. They lost over 200 dollars on every system. That was more arrogance than greed.

True. The greed wasn't the price. The greed, if you will, was the attempt to use the platform as a Trojan Horse vehicle for Blu-Ray to secure a cash cow for a decade. The price was a necessary extension of that overzealous vision, which was a function of Sony being too greedy in general. They lost a lot of market share and mindshare because of that, not to mention Blu-Ray didn't really become the next DVD, as digital became a thing.

That's Mindshare that Microsoft and Nintendo seem desperate to hand right back to Sony, however. lol

Mesoian

Haha. No. Wow.

Bedlam

A few things to note:

• TechnoBuffalo confirmed in their article that they've been also been denied interviews, as have some of their colleagues.
  • The list of confirmed outlets denied interviews is Giant Bomb, GI.biz, MCV, Tapezilla, VG247 and TechnoBuffalo. "Scheduling conflict", indeed.

Lots of scheduling conflicts there apparently. I will just assume they forgot Ballmer's numerous appointments at the hairdresser. That must be it!

God, just re-reading their clarifications makes me so angry. Thinking about not even watching the MS conference at this point. I honestly don't even want to engage with these fuckers right now.

Let's not forget that this is (for now) just one company doing this. At the moment, there are still viable alternatives and MS can still fall flat on their face. When Sony follows suit, that's when you can start crying that the sky is falling.
Oh wow. I'd have never purchase Xbox one either way (most of the games aren't to my taste), but I never expected such resentment towards Microsoft for this.

I know there are lots of angry pieces, posts etc. around the web, but has an 'official' boycott movement been started? By 'official', I mean something like Operation Rainfall to get some games out on Wii. Do it, someone! Make it big. Make YOUR voice be heard.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
lol... lots of scheduling conflicts there. I will just assume they forgot Ballmer's numerous appointments at the hairdresser.

No, they were beta testing new Scheduler for new MS Office and it went on killing spree

Mesoian

Oh wow. I'd have never purchase Xbox one either way (most of the games aren't to my taste), but I never expected such resentment towards Microsoft for this.

I know there are lots of angry pieces, posts etc. around the web, but has an 'official' boycott movement been started? By 'official', I mean something like Operation Rainfall to get some games out on Wii. Do it, someone! Make it big. Make YOUR voice be heard.

I don't think we really need an official boycott as the stuff they've brought to the table thus far is 100% unappetizing. They've shown us that the console is a heavily restricted secondary roku box. Maybe the story will change after monday, but why would anyone who likes video games buy into what Microsoft has shown thus far?

If the Xbone doesn't set the world on fire in the best way possible on Monday, I can't see Don Mattrick having a job on Tuesday.

ERC198X

Banned
Just checked Google News; this has now hit The Wall Street Journal.

Sophisticated Gamer (commenter) wrote:

"Sigh….people just don’t like change – i get it. But this time next year all the pre-release whining will be long forgotten and the Xbox-One will be a mainstay in the majority of living rooms across the world. Why? Simple – let us not forget that above all Microsoft makes the most cutting edge gaming hardware (uh, wii-u anyone? lol) and once people experience the jaw-dropping graphics and audio fidelity on games that are ONLY available on Xbox (Halo, Forza, Fantasia, Madden and COD) everything else from the competitors will feel like Sega Genesis quality. Also, the TV integration is a killer. Every household watches TV and being able to control my set with vocal commands or high fidelity motion gesture controls is something straight out of Minority Report. Welcome to the future. Get on or get off."

LMAO

Delusional

Nibiru

Banned
This viewpoint would have to be consistent with Polygon to undo all the Microsoft and DRM spinning they have done.

King_Moc

Banned
Lots of scheduling conflicts there apparently. I will just assume they forgot Ballmer's numerous appointments at the hairdresser. That must be it!

MS doesn't care about the enthusiast press anymore. We're clearly not their market anymore.

8byte

Banned
Yeah, this story isn't going away. BBC, CNN, Forbes, NBC, Time and The Wall Street Journal have all reported on it:

A few things to note:

• While the Forbes pieces are from contributors, they're currently the most read articles on the entire site.

Very interesting that IGN and the ZD media outlets are pretty much staying out of these, and playing "nice" with Publishers. Also very unsettling.

Nikodemos

Have you been to business school?
[Groucho Marx]
Nope. Got a proper education instead.
[/Groucho Marx]

If the Xbone doesn't set the world on fire in the best way possible on Monday, I can't see Don Mattrick having a job on Tuesday.
But don't Xbox exclusives eventually get released on PC as well? Were there any that stayed only on the Xbox? People could just wait until those 'exclusives' end up on the PC, where they will very likely be heavily discounted as a result of some sale or other.

neither

Very interesting that IGN and the ZD media outlets are pretty much staying out of these, and playing "nice" with Publishers. Also very unsettling.
I was just about to post this.
IGN showing their true colors.
First they didn't cover the DRM thing, and now they're probably not going to cover this news as well.
Hmmmm.

Mesoian

But don't Xbox exclusives eventually get released on PC as well? Were there any that stayed only on the Xbox? People could just wait until those 'exclusives' end up on the PC, where they will very likely be heavily discounted as a result of some sale or other.

Some, but not all. Regardless, it's up to the xbox arm of microsoft to make people want to buy those games as quickly as possible for as much as possible, and they are failing in doing so. Sure they can try to recoop costs on the eventual PC rerelease of most of their first person outings, but in order for XBOX and the Microsoft games division to grow, Xbox needs to stay a leader in the games market.

So good job making everyone hate it 6 months before it's released Mattrick. It's not often that you can finger point at a CEO and say "most of this is your fault"...but this time, most of this is his fault. No PR manager in the world could have softened the blow of this news after he opened his fat mouth after the first presser.

BigDug13

Do you know how much those high def players were? I paid nearly $1000 for an HD-DVD player (stupid me!)

$500-600 for an "infinitely-upgradable-through-firmware" blu-ray player which was rated the best blu-ray player on the market around the same time as that $1000 HD-DVD player was on the market was killer!

Unfortunately at $500-600, it wasn't aimed at gamers, it was aimed at entertainment enthusiasts who wanted the best video/audio quality in their movies.

Hmm, a system aimed at entertainment enthusiasts instead of gamers. How did that work out?

But don't Xbox exclusives eventually get released on PC as well?

No, most have not.

Do you know how much those high def players were? I paid nearly $1000 for an HD-DVD player (stupid me!)

$500-600 for an "infinitely-upgradable-through-firmware" blu-ray player which was rated the best blu-ray player on the market around the same time as that $1000 HD-DVD player was on the market was killer!

Unfortunately at $500-600, it wasn't aimed at gamers, it was aimed at entertainment enthusiasts who wanted the best video/audio quality in their movies.

Hmm, a system aimed at entertainment enthusiasts instead of gamers. How did that work out?

you'll get no argument from me. that's really my point. they, in their greed tried to step on and over gamers in an attempt to take what they perceived to be the bigger prize. They could have just released a good gaming platform and a follow-up to the PS2 and continued to enjoy market dominance. But they wanted everything, so they lost a lot.

Nikodemos

So good job making everyone hate it 6 months before it's released Mattrick. It's not often that you can finger point at a CEO and say "most of this is your fault"...but this time, most of this is his fault.
Xbone's current direction seems to have been decided at a level higher than Mattrick's. He tends to come across as MS's version of Reggie Fils-Aime in this latest series of bungles. Some people suspect many strategy-related decisions were taken by Ballmer.

Top Bottom