• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Beerman462
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:05 AM)
Beerman462's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

Why would sony first party games have cross play?

They wouldn't, because they don't exist on other platforms. That was kind of the point. Is this an attempted gotcha that ignores the rest of the post Ninja?
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(10-13-2017, 05:09 AM)
Ninja Scooter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beerman462

They wouldn't, because they don't exist on other platforms. Is this an attempted gotcha that ignores the rest of the post Ninja?

Not really, just a nitpick. I mostly agree with your post. If they don't want to give up a perceived "advantage", get why Sony is doing it, but I think they are being overly cautious. I don't think opening up the ability to have cross play will have the detrimental effect on their business they might think it would. Outside of how it's being used in minecraft, it seems like it would be something that most players wouldn't even take note of. I would bet a lot of people who played Rocket League on PS4, for example, had no idea they were playing with PC players.

At the same time, this is what makes it hard to explain to your average user why they should care about this issue, and really put Sony's feet to the fire over it.
CAR105 3
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:21 AM)
CAR105 3's Avatar
I can understand why Sony doesn't allow cross play, however they should be honest about it and have an official stance about this matter.

No matter who the market leader is, anti-consumer descicions should always be revoked by consumers. Some one on the thread mentioned that gaming didn't need cross platform because it has survived without it, that's a wrong thought to possess because every industry innovates in order to attract more potential customers because an industry that does not innovate stagnates and shrinks. And gaming has innovated a lot in the past, and every time it innovates it grows as an industry. Ex(3D graphics, in-built DVD players, HD, online gaming, integration of services such as Netflix, etc.)


IMO crossplay is a pro consumer choice because it would benefit game communities because they would be bigger, they would have a far longer lifespan and by implementing cross platform play developers and console manufacturers would be forced to refine and update cross platform systems.
LuvOfThaGame
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:24 AM)
LuvOfThaGame's Avatar

Originally Posted by Toki767

End of the day, people vote with their wallet. It doesn't really matter what people on a message board type. It's how people choose to spend their money that sends a message to companies.



I don't disagree. I don't think they can really come up with any reason at all that would satisfy most people.

So what's the point of having any discussions on a forum? Close shop. Let's all go home.
Beerman462
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:28 AM)
Beerman462's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

Not really, just a nitpick. I mostly agree with your post. If they don't want to give up a perceived "advantage", get why Sony is doing it, but I think they are being overly cautious. I don't think opening up the ability to have cross play will have the detrimental effect on their business they might think it would. Outside of how it's being used in minecraft, it seems like it would be something that most players wouldn't even take note of. I would bet a lot of people who played Rocket League on PS4, for example, had no idea they were playing with PC players.

At the same time, this is what makes it hard to explain to your average user why they should care about this issue, and really put Sony's feet to the fire over it.

The Minecraft thing is dumb, but it's an MS game and Sony allowed it, because ...Minecraft. It's mutually beneficial. I mean if Sony put first party games on PC I would probably get a PS+ account with no complaints.

I don't think people outside of the game industry and places like GAF are concerned with this, but it's an easy PR win for Sony, not that they need it, but this is about letting developers and publishers do what they want.
Solid Shammy
Banned
(10-13-2017, 05:30 AM)
Who the hell would defend Sony in this situation? It boggles the mind. I can't see a downside to Sony allowing crossplay, I really don't understand their perspective at all. I feel it has to happen at some point in the future, even Nintendo's being more forward thinking in this department. Not a good look.
Toki767
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:31 AM)
Toki767's Avatar

Originally Posted by LuvOfThaGame

So what's the point of having any discussions on a forum? Close shop. Let's all go home.

We've had multiple topics on this issue for the entire year. It's always the same thing.

What ever happened to that petition or campaign that someone was trying to organize? Did it just fizzle out and die?

That was basically the most I saw someone trying to do something about it that wasn't just attacking others who don't go along with the echo chamber.
Todesritter74
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:37 AM)
Todesritter74's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bsigg12

He was asked a question, he answered. I don't see the issue.

"I've already covered that with my previous statements but what I really want to talk about is all the great things we are doing for our XBox players. With the Xbox One X, they will be able to...."

Journalist posed a question that has been asked a lot and Phil talked about Sony instead of his own brand. Sure he wins the "look at mean old Sony" battle, but the focus is back on someone else's business/product when you can be talking positively about your own business decisions and the new products you have coming out.
ArtHands
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:39 AM)

Originally Posted by tsundoku

perfect first post

Thats desperation to pretend that the post isnít a lie.
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(10-13-2017, 05:45 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar
Sony isn't going to change their mind Phil, no matter how much you want them to. And not enough people on Sony's system actually care about cross platform play for that to change.

Interviewers should stop asking phil as if he is going to say anything differently on that front to begin with
LuvOfThaGame
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:46 AM)
LuvOfThaGame's Avatar

Originally Posted by Toki767

We've had multiple topics on this issue for the entire year. It's always the same thing.

What ever happened to that petition or campaign that someone was trying to organize? Did it just fizzle out and die?

That was basically the most I saw someone trying to do something about it that wasn't just attacking others who don't go along with the echo chamber.

It's true that without the help of media coverage that it will continue to be ignored. GAF has shown in the past that with enough discussion and backlash, a flicker can turn into an inferno. I believe this is an issue that needs flaming. Developers want it. A majority of gamers want it. Why not show overwhelming support? This really benefits everyone in the online multiplayer community.
diablogod
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:53 AM)
diablogod's Avatar
I obviously want cross-play. I also remember a few situations last gen when Microsoft was in the lead where they wouldn't hear about cross play. If I were in charge at Sony, I'd throw up a middle finger to.
Cerium
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:56 AM)
Cerium's Avatar

Originally Posted by Toki767

We've had multiple topics on this issue for the entire year. It's always the same thing.

What ever happened to that petition or campaign that someone was trying to organize? Did it just fizzle out and die?

That was basically the most I saw someone trying to do something about it that wasn't just attacking others who don't go along with the echo chamber.

Certain members accused the OP, without any basis at all, of being a Microsoft fanboy out to damage Sony's reputation. It became a console war shitshow.
jayu26
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:08 AM)
jayu26's Avatar

Originally Posted by CAR105 3

I can understand why Sony doesn't allow cross play, however they should be honest about it and have an official stance about this matter.

Strictly speaking from their business perspective, no Sony shouldn't. This is lose lose situation for them. If they come out and say why they don't want to do it now, they take the PR hit now and in future if they then want to do it for whatever reason. Their stance should be to ignore it and if asked questions in interviews just say "we are looking into it", and for the love of god keep Jim Ryan away from it all (or at least train him or something).

Whatever stink there is now, it will be much worse if they make an official statement.

nbraun80
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:10 AM)
nbraun80's Avatar
Alot of these drive-by posts in here are quite unsettling. I don't have a horse in a platform race, I just play games I like on whatever system they come out on, so it really baffles me to see people standing behind a corporation like this. So maybe you don't like Phil and maybe you think he's just trying to improve xbox's position and isn't actually being pro-consumer and maybe you could be right, but as of now what he's pushing for is pro-consumer and can benefit everyone. If somehow next gen xbox is the market leader and he changes his tune he should be called out on it and roasted as well.

And who even knows if cross-play became more prevalent, some indie games may be bigger hits on switch+xbox than on PlayStation and they could also benefit from quicker queue times and longer game life. And even when they're player base is bigger it's always a benefit in competitive multiplayer games to have more players to better match up skill levels and thus more equally competitive games. Also, the I got a PS4 so I don't have to play with xbox players is kind of laughable. This is because I'm pretty sure the 'xbox squeakers' that you hated on 360, are probably ones like my little brother who moved to where the timed-exclusive COD DLC went, ie PS4, because they weren't really brand loyal just game loyal.

In the end, maybe you truly don't want any of the benefits of cross-play, for whatever reason, but I don't see why you'd want to shut down a conversation about something that will benefit many gamers and help evolve a pretty archaic concept in today's connected world. Again, it's one thing to see why Sony may not want to, it's a whole other thing to have a corporation's back, and sadly there's a lot of the latter in here.
LuvOfThaGame
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:11 AM)
LuvOfThaGame's Avatar

Originally Posted by jayu26

Strictly speaking from their business perspective, no Sony shouldn't. This is lose lose situation for them. If they come out and say why they don't want to do it now, they take the PR hit now and in future if they then want to do it for whatever reason. Their stance should be to ignore it and if asked questions in interviews just say "we are looking into it", and for the love of god keep Jim Ryan away from it all (or at least train him or something).

Whatever stink there is now, it will be much worse if they make an official statement.

Wait...what? That quote. At this point, Sonys' loss is your gain. You guys do understand that, right?
SlimySnake
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:12 AM)
SlimySnake's Avatar
lol this guy is so dishonest i am surprised gaffers keep falling for his shtick. if he was in the lead, he wouldnt allow it either. This is literally his only hope to keep more x1 owners from jumping ship. half of them have already ditched him. lets not forget Sony allowed cross platform play last gen with Portal and a couple other games on PC.

MS made half a billion from XBL for nearly a decade before Sony got wise and started their own scam. Now Sony is making a billion a year from subs because people who want to play with their friends HAVE to buy that $60 a year service. it's a scam, sure. but it's a scam Phill ran last gen, the gen before last gen, and exploited to hell and back by forcing CoD players into the ecosystem by timed DLC exclusives. Back then he didnt offer free games every month either.

And dont give me the shit about him not being incharge back then. he was one of the top guys there and never spoke out about stuff like this. i dont trust this guy at all.

the bottom line is that this is how you sell consoles in 2017. you need exclusives sure. but everything is around online gaming and if you tell consumers they can stick with their x1 and play with your friends on PS4 they ARE SIMPLY NOT GOING TO BUY A PS4. i dont usually care about business decisions but this is literally the most basic business decision of it all. Whats next? People want sony to release Horizon on the Switch?

All this bitching and moaning i see whenever Phill opens his mouth about this issue just screams like he is riling up his base like Trump does. he knows what hes asking for is ridiculous but he also knows his base will eat it up, the media will talk about evil Sony, and gaf will fall for it because they just want pro consumer moves from this evil complacent Sony corporation that boldly decided to allow used games, allow offline gaming, built a powerful, cheaper and games focused console just this gen. Not to mention the fact that they have released exclusive after exclusive and funded numerous Japanese games to fruition unlike some other guy i know who cancelled more games than he has released so far this gen.

But sure, Sony is evil because they want to sell consoles. What a terrible anti-consumer company!
jayu26
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:15 AM)
jayu26's Avatar

Originally Posted by LuvOfThaGame

Wait...what? That quote. At this point, Sonys' loss is your gain. You guys do understand that, right?

Did you miss opening part of that post?

Strictly speaking from [Sony's] business perspective...

This is what their strategy should be on this issue. If you want my personal perspective then I have always been okay with grilling Sony on this issue. Go through my post history.
Cerium
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:17 AM)
Cerium's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlimySnake

Whats next? People want sony to release Horizon on the Switch?

Originally Posted by SlimySnake

whenever Phill opens his mouth about this issue just screams like he is riling up his base like Trump does.

Is this real life?
LuvOfThaGame
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:18 AM)
LuvOfThaGame's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlimySnake

lol this guy is so dishonest i am surprised gaffers keep falling for his shtick. if he was in the lead, he wouldnt allow it either. This is literally his only hope to keep more x1 owners from jumping ship. half of them have already ditched him. lets not forget Sony allowed cross platform play last gen with Portal and a couple other games on PC.

MS made half a billion from XBL for nearly a decade before Sony got wise and started their own scam. Now Sony is making a billion a year from subs because people who want to play with their friends HAVE to buy that $60 a year service. it's a scam, sure. but it's a scam Phill ran last gen, the gen before last gen, and exploited to hell and back by forcing CoD players into the ecosystem by timed DLC exclusives. Back then he didnt offer free games every month either.

And dont give me the shit about him not being incharge back then. he was one of the top guys there and never spoke out about stuff like this. i dont trust this guy at all.

the bottom line is that this is how you sell consoles in 2017. you need exclusives sure. but everything is around online gaming and if you tell consumers they can stick with their x1 and play with your friends on PS4 they ARE SIMPLY NOT GOING TO BUY A PS4. i dont usually care about business decisions but this is literally the most basic business decision of it all. Whats next? People want sony to release Horizon on the Switch?

All this bitching and moaning i see whenever Phill opens his mouth about this issue just screams like he is riling up his base like Trump does. he knows what hes asking for is ridiculous but he also knows his base will eat it up, the media will talk about evil Sony, and gaf will fall for it because they just want pro consumer moves from this evil complacent Sony corporation that boldly decided to allow used games, allow offline gaming, built a powerful, cheaper and games focused console just this gen. Not to mention the fact that they have released exclusive after exclusive and funded numerous Japanese games to fruition unlike some other guy i know who cancelled more games than he has released so far this gen.

But sure, Sony is evil because they want to sell consoles. What a terrible anti-consumer company!

I've been this guy. Don't be like this guy. Sony will sell consoles on their exclusive 1st party efforts. They are in no danger of anything besides being known as anti-consumer. Is that what you want?
bitbydeath
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:19 AM)
bitbydeath's Avatar

Originally Posted by LuvOfThaGame

Wait...what? That quote. At this point, Sonys' loss is your gain. You guys do understand that, right?

Hey, donít lump us all in together like that, you can own your own losses.
LuvOfThaGame
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:21 AM)
LuvOfThaGame's Avatar

Originally Posted by jayu26

Did you miss opening part of that post?



This is what their strategy should be on this issue. If you want my personal perspective then I have always been okay with grilling Sony on this issue. Go through my post history.

'From a business perspective'? Nah, I got the message. Fuck their business perspective. I'm a consumer, not a share holder. You?
LuvOfThaGame
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:23 AM)
LuvOfThaGame's Avatar

Originally Posted by bitbydeath

Hey, donít lump us all in together like that, you can own your own losses.

Lol. "I'm a loser, baby. So why don't you hate me." ;)
statham
Banned
(10-13-2017, 06:23 AM)
statham's Avatar
Peeps know MS position, why interviewers keep asking him instead of Sony Execs, is kinda weird. they are the hold up, not MS. But he gave a answer, interviewers grow some balls and ask Sony some hard questions.
jayu26
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:24 AM)
jayu26's Avatar

Originally Posted by LuvOfThaGame

'From a business perspective'? Nah, I got the message. Fuck their business perspective. I'm a consumer, not a share holder. You?

Read my post. You will have your answer.
Dark Cloud
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Solid Shammy

Who the hell would defend Sony in this situation? It boggles the mind. I can't see a downside to Sony allowing crossplay, I really don't understand their perspective at all. I feel it has to happen at some point in the future, even Nintendo's being more forward thinking in this department. Not a good look.

I think you know who is defending Sony. There's a certain group that always defends Sony.
ResoRai
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:26 AM)
ResoRai's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlimySnake

lol this guy is so dishonest i am surprised gaffers keep falling for his shtick. if he was in the lead, he wouldnt allow it either. This is literally his only hope to keep more x1 owners from jumping ship. half of them have already ditched him. lets not forget Sony allowed cross platform play last gen with Portal and a couple other games on PC.

MS made half a billion from XBL for nearly a decade before Sony got wise and started their own scam. Now Sony is making a billion a year from subs because people who want to play with their friends HAVE to buy that $60 a year service. it's a scam, sure. but it's a scam Phill ran last gen, the gen before last gen, and exploited to hell and back by forcing CoD players into the ecosystem by timed DLC exclusives. Back then he didnt offer free games every month either.

And dont give me the shit about him not being incharge back then. he was one of the top guys there and never spoke out about stuff like this. i dont trust this guy at all.

the bottom line is that this is how you sell consoles in 2017. you need exclusives sure. but everything is around online gaming and if you tell consumers they can stick with their x1 and play with your friends on PS4 they ARE SIMPLY NOT GOING TO BUY A PS4. i dont usually care about business decisions but this is literally the most basic business decision of it all. Whats next? People want sony to release Horizon on the Switch?

All this bitching and moaning i see whenever Phill opens his mouth about this issue just screams like he is riling up his base like Trump does. he knows what hes asking for is ridiculous but he also knows his base will eat it up, the media will talk about evil Sony, and gaf will fall for it because they just want pro consumer moves from this evil complacent Sony corporation that boldly decided to allow used games, allow offline gaming, built a powerful, cheaper and games focused console just this gen. Not to mention the fact that they have released exclusive after exclusive and funded numerous Japanese games to fruition unlike some other guy i know who cancelled more games than he has released so far this gen.

But sure, Sony is evil because they want to sell consoles. What a terrible anti-consumer company!

Lol Jesus. Some of you act like people are criticizing your mothers.

Why can't you guys just support pro consumer moves like normal People?
captainraincoat
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:30 AM)
captainraincoat's Avatar

Originally Posted by diablogod

I obviously want cross-play. I also remember a few situations last gen when Microsoft was in the lead where they wouldn't hear about cross play. If I were in charge at Sony, I'd throw up a middle finger to.

On the flip side

Sony's network was full of holes and got shut down so that they could put some band aids on it....unfortunately it's still shit as they can't implement simple feature like a name change....have a refund function or have a party chat that does not publicly expose your ip address ...I think the issue is more that Sony's online infrastructure is not up to scratch to manage it....and that's before we get into the atrocious download speeds and anti consumer support functions
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(10-13-2017, 06:33 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar

Originally Posted by captainraincoat

On the flip side

Sony's network was full of holes and got shut down so that they could put some band aids on it....unfortunately it's still shit as they can't implement simple feature like a name change....have a refund function or have a party chat that does not publicly expose your ip address ...I think the issue is more that Sony's online infrastructure is not up to scratch to manage it....and that's before we get into the atrocious download speeds and anti consumer support functions

I mean, that's all true, PSN is inferior to XBL.

But that doesn't change the truth of the current reality, that Sony have no reason to change their business model.

Because as much of a vocal minority wants this feature, a vast majority of their own userbase doesn't care about it and are not even aware of any talk about such a thing being possible, to the point where Sony doesn't even have to consider it outside of radio silence.
statham
Banned
(10-13-2017, 06:36 AM)
statham's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlimySnake

lol this guy is so dishonest i am surprised gaffers keep falling for his shtick. if he was in the lead, he wouldnt allow it either. This is literally his only hope to keep more x1 owners from jumping ship. half of them have already ditched him. lets not forget Sony allowed cross platform play last gen with Portal and a couple other games on PC.

MS made half a billion from XBL for nearly a decade before Sony got wise and started their own scam. Now Sony is making a billion a year from subs because people who want to play with their friends HAVE to buy that $60 a year service. it's a scam, sure. but it's a scam Phill ran last gen, the gen before last gen, and exploited to hell and back by forcing CoD players into the ecosystem by timed DLC exclusives. Back then he didnt offer free games every month either.

And dont give me the shit about him not being incharge back then. he was one of the top guys there and never spoke out about stuff like this. i dont trust this guy at all.

the bottom line is that this is how you sell consoles in 2017. you need exclusives sure. but everything is around online gaming and if you tell consumers they can stick with their x1 and play with your friends on PS4 they ARE SIMPLY NOT GOING TO BUY A PS4. i dont usually care about business decisions but this is literally the most basic business decision of it all. Whats next? People want sony to release Horizon on the Switch?

All this bitching and moaning i see whenever Phill opens his mouth about this issue just screams like he is riling up his base like Trump does. he knows what hes asking for is ridiculous but he also knows his base will eat it up, the media will talk about evil Sony, and gaf will fall for it because they just want pro consumer moves from this evil complacent Sony corporation that boldly decided to allow used games, allow offline gaming, built a powerful, cheaper and games focused console just this gen. Not to mention the fact that they have released exclusive after exclusive and funded numerous Japanese games to fruition unlike some other guy i know who cancelled more games than he has released so far this gen.

But sure, Sony is evil because they want to sell consoles. What a terrible anti-consumer company!

MS got major heat for this last gen, many, many threads, Now Sony is getting the heat, nothing wrong with that. rest of your post is roofles material.
UKUMI0
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:37 AM)
UKUMI0's Avatar
I honestly don't get why people keep defending Sony because of "business" reasons. As a consumer, we should only care about what makes our experience the best and I think that having cross-play fits into making my experience better.
captainraincoat
Member
(10-13-2017, 06:40 AM)
captainraincoat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inuhanyou

I mean, that's all true, PSN is inferior to XBL.

But that doesn't change the truth of the current reality, that Sony have no reason to change their business model.

Because as much of a vocal minority wants this feature, a vast majority of their own userbase doesn't care about it and are not even aware of any talk about such a thing being possible, to the point where Sony doesn't even have to consider it outside of radio silence.

I could pretty much go through my psn friends list and I would say pretty much all of them would love to have a cross platform user base to play with in mp games......Need to take your console company hats off for a minute and think about the actual game.
Inuhanyou
Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
(10-13-2017, 06:42 AM)
Inuhanyou's Avatar

Originally Posted by UKUMI0

I honestly don't get why people keep defending Sony because of "business" reasons. As a consumer, we should only care about what makes our experience the best and I think that having cross-play fits into making my experience better.

For certain people, its easy to play fanboy, or be neutral(like me) in the convo, because its not like DRM where its a super extreme anti consumer move that affects everything and how we play games on a fundamental level.

Its a feature consoles dont really ever have and have not traditionally been known for, so its easy to be apathetic and complacent about its existence, even if keeping the status quo is to some degree anticonsumer. A lot of those people don't really understand the consumerist perspective of doing this thing that has never been attempted up until now or why it even matters for them generally speaking.

And until you force that into every single one of them, there will never be enough of a sentiment to force Sony into a position where they need to support it to help their own business motive.

In some manner its like paying to play online. Its obviously anticonsumer and PC users never have had to do such a thing, but console users are used to that because MS set the precedent, and so don't really see an overt issue to the point where they would cause MS or Sony or Nintendo to reconsider their positions.
ModBot
Not a mod, just a bot.
(10-13-2017, 06:43 AM)
ModBot's Avatar
While I'm sure we are all Very Concerned™ about the media continuing to report on crossplay and deeply disturbed by the possibility that people might perceive Sony as "the bad guy" in this scenario, we will be locking this embarrassing thread now.

Thread Tools