• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Principate
Saint Titanfall
(10-11-2017, 03:46 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Arms has probably sold more in Japan than marvel has worldwide

Now this is harsh, though I'm not convinced of MvC:I sales to say that it's almost definitely false.
Orgen
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:47 PM)
Orgen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chris1964

You didn't want to believe it but this quarter just began for 3DS and PS4.

It'll have legs and will crawl to 100.000 LTD... believe!!!! I don't think so hahaha
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(10-11-2017, 03:47 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laplasakos

I don't agree that a successful system in Japan is only when it sells 20m.

Also what i said about western/asia expand is relevant with the domestic sales, considering that they seem more than fine with these PS4 software/hardware sales. Otherwise we would have seen more multiplatform announcements. Of course i could be wrong, so let's wait and see.

That's what all the generation leaders with substantial software sales have done minimum for the past few generations.
Fisico
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:48 PM)
Fisico's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fiendcode

Massive drops for CS3 and FEW.

Well I guess you could say that, but at the same time these are pretty normal drop considering the games, in fact Cold Steel 3 has almost exactly the same drop %wise than the two previous entries in the subseries.

From there I don't think it will be too hard to guess what Cold Steel 3 LTD will end up around, seeing how CS1 and CS2 sales fared after release (MC CY numbers) they sold around ~70% of their LTD number FW.

That would give around ~125k for CS3, let's say 15k for digital (and that's being generous), and maybe a few extra k if there are late adopters or something (once again that's being generous) and it won't be able to crack 150k.

That's down from 220k for previous entries, with a split 125k/95k in favour of PSVita.

From there we can then deduce that somehow >70k didn't show up for CS3, there could be multiple reasons but the most obvious should be in term of importance (2&3 order is debatable though)
1) No portable entry (after a decade of being on PSP/PSV)
2) Some users just didn't upgrade from PS3 to PS4 nor owned a PSV
3) Franchise fatigue

I think It's fair to assume that almost every 95k PS3 buyers of CS2 showed up for CS3 minus a few thousands, so basically from the >70k lost the vast majority came from PSV buyers, so anywhere between half and two thirds of that audience just ... didn't show up.

And before someone just try to spin this into some kind of post of "doom & gloom" about Falcom, it's not.
They should be fine with these numbers but from an anlytical point of view there is no way to spin their platform strategy for this release into a success in term of sales, it's not a failure either, but it's an entry that will have a 30-35% drop from its previous entries, nothing more nothing less.
And no I didn't mean that they should have made a Switch SKU either.
Lizardus
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:52 PM)
Lizardus's Avatar
Hey KT, give Musou a rest for a while.
silpheed-mcd
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:52 PM)

Originally Posted by BrokenJohnCena

..............



:p
Minsc
(10-11-2017, 03:52 PM)
Minsc's Avatar

Originally Posted by boiled goose

It's not ingenious. It's just business. 3DS is profitable and they can't make enlightened switches. Might as well sell some 3ds games and hardware.

The last batch of 3ds games have been remakes or updates. Nothing with long development cycled and high costs.

Would metroid and Pokemon be more exciting on Switch? Sure, but also more expensive and Switch is already sold out.

Gotta spread it out.

I don't know. If they can release games that look as bad as the Secret of Mana remake on the PS4, surely they can release similarly bad looking games on the Switch? And I don't think 3DS games simply running at higher resolution would look as bad as Secret of Mana does on the PS4 actually.

Then again I'm not sure what the odds of Mario x Rabbids outselling the Mario 3DS title this week are, so maybe it's not the platform at all, and just the game that is the reason for the 25k sales?
Laplasakos
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:55 PM)
Laplasakos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Principate

That's what all the generation leaders with substantial software sales have done minimum for the past few generations.

So if a home console sells 15m (previously you made it seem like 5m is not a big gap) it would not be successful?

I think this is a weird statement considering that unless it's a portable, you can't expect 20m sales from today's market. The generation leaders you talk about got released in a ''different'' market, so i don't think simply comparisons are valid.
Refreshment.01
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:56 PM)
Refreshment.01's Avatar

Originally Posted by James Scott

I wonder how much of an impact the lack of 3DS BC on switch has had on 3DS software. I imagine Nintendo and others likely expected more from their titles.

Maybe late transitions made more sense when the new systems still played the old games.

Probably not much.

We are talking about a 99 price (game included) entry into 3DS ecosystem. You are interested in a 3DS game you just buy the system.

Switch vs 3DS are two system that offer clearly different expereiences beyond visual differences.

Originally Posted by KiNolin

I love how everyone kept saying how ingenious it was to put these games on 3DS' "giant userbase (right)" instead of the Switch.
Saw this one coming a mile away, seems like Metroid isn't setting the charts on fire either (globally).

This is the part you back up the claims with actual data. How many system performed better in Japan entering their 6 year?

Originally Posted by James Scott

I donít think many were calling for Nintendo to cancel 3DS software outright, but I donít see a simultaneous release being too much to ask for.
Samus Returns wouldíve probably done super well on a slower release month on Switch.
They even did it with FEW on New 3DS

Is it worth it to take interest and sales out of a 3DS version?

There was a precedent of a Warrior Spin off going from home console to 3DS with Hyrule warriors. What this means is that developers already had the engine working for an easy 3DS version.

Does Mercury Steam could have their Samus Return's engine running on Switch by september 15? Do they have the resources to do that at that stage in time?

With that said there's nothing preventing an improves Samus Returns version hitting the Switch eventually. So it can have it's time to shine on the Switch with a bigger user base and without impacting 3DS sales.
test_account
XP-39C≤
(10-11-2017, 03:56 PM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

We had that ad for mario 3 in the uk

Makes sense. The guy talking sound american, and the commercial is original american (SMB3 commercial only), so i was wondering =)
Neoxon
Junior Member
(10-11-2017, 03:57 PM)
Neoxon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lizardus

Hey KT, give Musou a rest for a while.

To be fair, FE Warriors has been requested for quite a while.
silpheed-mcd
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:59 PM)
10./10. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 <SPT> (Konami) {2017.09.14} (•7.600) - 6.266 / 97.712 (-39%)


Not bad, good legs.
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(10-11-2017, 04:00 PM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar
yeesh this week
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(10-11-2017, 04:01 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laplasakos

So if a home console sells 15m (previously you made it seem like 5m is not a big gap) it would not be successful?

I think this is a weird statement considering that unless it's a portable, you can't expect 20m sales from today's market. The generation leaders you talk about got released in a ''different'' market, so i don't think all comparisons are valid.

As far as home consoles in Japan currently do sure it'd be considered a success ifthe Software sales back it up. In terms of the current and historical performance of the region I'd say it did alright. The wii ended up around that number it didn't drastically shift or change the market like the higher selling handhelds at the time is. You can't just the the domestics overall growth or health based on such performers is my point you have to look more towards the consoles that sell in the higher regions to make larger impact.
Laplasakos
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:01 PM)
Laplasakos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oregano

I don't think anyone implied that.

Did you see the quoted message i was responding to?

Originally Posted by NintendosBooger

Alongside PS4 lol

That's like saying 3DS "alongside" Vita. By the end of next year, this thing's a wrap.

Fiendcode
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:01 PM)
Fiendcode's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laplasakos

5-10m is a pretty huge gap.

With japanese companies looking to expand their sales in Asia and west where the Playstation brand is stronger i doubt we will see any big changes.

Despite growth in region, Asia is still a drop in the bucket compared to Japan for consoles. And in the west Switch is selling incredibly well, and notably Japanese 3rd party games on it seem to be outperforming PS4 (Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris).

Sonyís weakness in Japan could definitely be an issue for them in the future versus a Japan dominating, globally successful Switch.
frankie_baby
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Principate

Now this is harsh, though I'm not convinced of MvC:I sales to say that it's almost definitely false.

I'd bet my underpants on it though its unlikely we'll get enough numbers to prove
Quadrangulum
Banned
(10-11-2017, 04:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Laplasakos

Did you see the quoted message i was responding to?

Yes. It doesn't imply that. Everything you're saying can be true. At the same time, there will probably be a 10-15 million gap between PS4 and Switch when all is said and done.
Skittzo0413
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:03 PM)
Skittzo0413's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laplasakos

Did you see the quoted message i was responding to?

All I read from that is that the Switch will be the biggest platform in Japan by the end of next year... not that the PS4 will be dead...

Nobody has tried to claim that the PS4 will be dead.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(10-11-2017, 04:04 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fiendcode

Despite growth in region, Asia is still a drop in the bucket compared to Japan for consoles. And in the west Switch is selling incredibly well, and notably Japanese 3rd party games on it seem to be outperforming PS4 (Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris).

Sonyís weakness in Japan could definitely be an issue for them in the future versus a Japan dominating, globally successful Switch.

Nah this is an practically impossible scenario in terms of ever being a real problem for Sony. All you have to do is look at the Vita's support relative to the 3DS for the reality of the situation to hit.
Fiendcode
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:05 PM)
Fiendcode's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lizardus

Hey KT, give Musou a rest for a while.

Nope, here have 3 more next month!
L~A
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:05 PM)
L~A's Avatar

11./11. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (•6.980) - 6.196 / 604.865 (-19%)

Finally, 600k on Switch alone. With Wii U, we're probably at 750k right now. Looks like 1 million could happen this year, for Switch + Wii U + digital, after all.
Champion of the Wild
Junior Member
(10-11-2017, 04:05 PM)
Champion of the Wild's Avatar

Originally Posted by Principate

BOTW is a OoT tier Zelda game in terms of relative domestic and and worldwide popularity. Very few could have predicted it actually being so nut it's impact is unquestionable at this point/

Lol thats true ,although Twilight Princess sold much more than Ocarina lf Time but never reached 1 million in Japan
Lizardus
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:06 PM)
Lizardus's Avatar
Only 2% drop for XV2 Switch. Why so low? Supply = Demand?

Originally Posted by Fiendcode

Nope, here have 3 more next month!

Still reeling from that announcement, three on the same fucking day.
James Scott
Banned
(10-11-2017, 04:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Refreshment.01

Is it worth it to take interest and sales out of a 3DS version?

There was a precedent of a Warrior Spin off going from home console to 3DS with Hyrule warriors. What this means is that developers already had the engine working for an easy 3DS version.

Does Mercury Steam could have their Samus Return's engine running on Switch by september 15? Do they have the resources to do that at that stage in time?

With that said there's nothing preventing an improves Samus Returns version hitting the Switch eventually. So it can have it's time to shine on the Switch with a bigger user base and without impacting 3DS sales.

With samus Returns specifically, Mercury Steam had made a similar game with an HD port in mind with MoF. Nintendo had paid for timed exclusivity keeping the port from coming sooner.
Even if it didnít look like a high end Switch game, at 1080p 60fps i think people wouldíve been happy
Fiendcode
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:07 PM)
Fiendcode's Avatar

Originally Posted by Principate

Nah this is an practically impossible scenario in terms of ever being a real problem for Sony. All you have to do is look at the Vita's support relative to the 3DS for the reality of the situation to hit.

3DS destrpyed Vita in terms of 3rd party support?
Laplasakos
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:10 PM)
Laplasakos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fiendcode

Despite growth in region, Asia is still a drop in the bucket compared to Japan for consoles. And in the west Switch is selling incredibly well, and notably Japanese 3rd party games on it seem to be outperforming PS4 (Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris).

Sonyís weakness in Japan could definitely be an issue for them in the future versus a Japan dominating, globally successful Switch.

Do you have any data for Asia? I don't (except the big growth with each year) so i am legit curious if it's really a drop in the bucket as you say.

Originally Posted by Skittzo0413

All I read from that is that the Switch will be the biggest platform in Japan by the end of next year... not that the PS4 will be dead...

Nobody has tried to claim that the PS4 will be dead.

He said regarding PS4 that ''that thing is a wrap next year''. In what state do you he is implying it except from dead/finished?
Oregano
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:10 PM)
Oregano's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laplasakos

Did you see the quoted message i was responding to?

I think the point was that PS4 and Switch are in no way comparable. It won't be Switch alongside PS4.

Not that the PS4 was going to die or anything.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(10-11-2017, 04:10 PM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fiendcode

3DS destrpyed Vita in terms of 3rd party support?

In terms of profile of the releases yes in terms of actual raw number of release nope. They're far more comparable than their install base numbers would lead you to be believe. This is inspite of 3DS having comparable software ratio to the Vita at multiples times higher hardware.
JonnyDBrit
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:11 PM)
JonnyDBrit's Avatar
Switch sales continuing to be bottlenecked by the supply. Geez, every time there's a major release now it just provides false hope for the sales actually holding up. At least the software is showing its legs.

Also, congrats to BOTW Switch for crossing the 600k mark.
Wamb0wneD
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:13 PM)
Wamb0wneD's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyDBrit

Switch sales continuing to be bottlenecked by the supply. Geez, every time there's a major release now it just provides false hope for the sales actually holding up. At least the software is showing its legs.

Also, congrats to BOTW Switch for crossing the 600k mark.

I mean holding back stock for a release like Odyssey makes sense no?
test_account
XP-39C≤
(10-11-2017, 04:14 PM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laplasakos

He said regarding PS4 that ''that thing is a wrap next year''. In what state do you he is implying it except from dead/finished?

He probably mean in regards to who will sell the most hardware. The initial quote was just if Japan will be "Switch land". Both PS4 and Switch will continue to be relevant in Japan this generation.
Mory Dunz
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:15 PM)
Mory Dunz's Avatar
Didn't YSO predict ~50k for M&L FW and 25k for the second week lol?

unless I'm misremembering
Gotdatmoney
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Lizardus

Only 2% drop for XV2 Switch. Why so low? Supply = Demand?

I dunno. Someone told me the game disappeared from the charts and was an underperformer 🤔
L~A
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:18 PM)
L~A's Avatar
Current DBX2 sales are due to the next shipments from the past couple of weeks + interest in current anime series.

18./17. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5) {2017.08.10} (•4.800) - 4.126 / 176.959 (-19%)

Looks like it's still selling steadily. Should be at +250k by the end of the year.
OfficerRaichu15
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:20 PM)
OfficerRaichu15's Avatar
Whatís LTD for Xenoversr 2 PS4?
JonnyDBrit
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:20 PM)
JonnyDBrit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wamb0wneD

I mean holding back stock for a release like Odyssey makes sense no?

Oh aye - I was suspicious of such being the tactic all the way back when ARMS' release was imminent. It's just slightly sad because it also caps the console's chances of catching up to the 3DS - which would just be astounding to see - before week 36 on kinda spoils any hope there.
Salvadora
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:21 PM)
Salvadora's Avatar
Will we ever find out Zelda Wii U sales from Nintendo?

I thought I saw here that they are done listing Wii U games in financial reports.
DeuceGamer
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:21 PM)
DeuceGamer's Avatar
What a poor week overall.

Switch had its lowest week in a couple months if Iím remembering correctly. Guess they are trying to save up some stock for Mario Odyssey.

Metroid drop saddens me. I know itís not a particularly popular series in Japan but releasing it on 3DS only was a mistake. I get that they wanted to support the 3DS until the Switch is ready to carry them but, I canít imagine an Switch port would have cost a lot of resources and I think the overall sales would have been much better. I may be wrong but I do believe there is enough of an audience for 2D Metroid to continue investing in the series. Just hope Nintendo views it that way.

Hope Fire Emblem Warriors does better in the West. I wonder if franchise fatigue is an issue. There have been quite a few Fire Emblem games released recently. Hopefully we will see sales pick up with DLC announcements.

FIFA Switch seems to have a decent hold, especially in comparison with everything else which is down this week.
lherre
Accurate
(10-11-2017, 04:23 PM)
lherre's Avatar

Originally Posted by BrokenJohnCena


..............

A bit tiring to see the same image every MC thread several times...

A slow week indeed and big drops for a lot of games.

I see that now Disgaea 5 and Puyo Tetris are "notably japanese 3rd party games" , the japanese market is ruined then :P
Laplasakos
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:23 PM)
Laplasakos's Avatar

Originally Posted by test_account

He probably mean in regards to who will sell the most hardware. The initial quote was just if Japan will be "Switch land". Both PS4 and Switch will continue to be relevant in Japan this generation.

Actually your post is similar to the one he quoted and said that about PS4 (so he didn't agree with that at all).

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=251663381
silpheed-mcd
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:24 PM)

Originally Posted by OfficerRaichu15

Whatís LTD for Xenoversr 2 PS4?

Famitsu:

135.286 (11.217 digital)
Wamb0wneD
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:25 PM)
Wamb0wneD's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyDBrit

Oh aye - I was suspicious of such being the tactic all the way back when ARMS' release was imminent. It's just slightly sad because it also caps the console's chances of catching up to the 3DS - which would just be astounding to see - before week 36 on kinda spoils any hope there.

I think it's the wise thing to do while you can't produce enough consoles on a regular basis though. As soon they can meet demand it's not going to be an issue and then maybe 3DS numbers follow.
L~A
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:26 PM)
L~A's Avatar

Originally Posted by Salvadora

Will we ever find out Zelda Wii U sales from Nintendo?

I thought I saw here that they are done listing Wii U games in financial reports.

Unless it sells 1 million units worldwide this Fiscal Year, I doubt we'll ever get sales data for it. Maybe in the presentation to investors, but I doubt it.
OfficerRaichu15
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:26 PM)
OfficerRaichu15's Avatar

Originally Posted by silpheed-mcd

Famitsu:

135.286 (11.217 digital)

Wonder how it did on the eshop.
Not bad hmm?
Showing legs and has holidays?
BrokenJohnCena
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:27 PM)
BrokenJohnCena's Avatar

Originally Posted by lherre

A bit tiring to see the same image every MC thread several times...

A slow week indeed and big drops for a lot of games.

I see that now Disgaea 5 and Puyo Tetris are "notably japanese games" :P

why?That one is awesome
Refreshment.01
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:29 PM)
Refreshment.01's Avatar

Originally Posted by James Scott

With samus Returns specifically, Mercury Steam had made a similar game with an HD port in mind with MoF. Nintendo had paid for timed exclusivity keeping the port from coming sooner.
Even if it didnít look like a high end Switch game, at 1080p 60fps i think people wouldíve been happy

Then this further increases the chances you' ll get Samus Return on Switch eventually while 3DS sales are not affected. And higher chances that the version gets further improvements beyond res and frame rate since a good bulk of the work, according to what you said here, has been done.

It's encouraging to see a publisher doing the right calls regarding ports and versions of it's software instead of Capconing/Namcoing releases.
Toni
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:30 PM)
Toni's Avatar
Nintendo had a good run.
whyreggielie
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:30 PM)
whyreggielie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wamb0wneD

I mean holding back stock for a release like Odyssey makes sense no?

It's obvious Nintendo is holding back a little to prepare for Odyssey, this is a common trend with the Switch and happened with Splatoon 2 as well. But it's not to create artificial demand like some would think, its simply to have as successful a launch as they can with each huge title and be able to shift units to the proper regions for the after launch weeks.
AdventureRacing
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:30 PM)
Slow week all around. Switch SW sales help up pretty well considering how much the Hw dropped this week. At the moment it feels like te calm before the storm, waiting for Mario which will hopefully be the start of big numbers for the switch for the rest of the year.

Thread Tools