• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Majora
(10-12-2017, 12:12 PM)

Originally Posted by GTR R35_Supra RZ

He enjoyed it alot but wait for a...doesn't make sense. You wait for a..when the game's garbage.

No, you don't buy a game when it's garbage. You might wait for a sale if a game is enjoyable but inessential, or a flawed gem.
texhnolyze
(10-12-2017, 12:13 PM)
Sounds like a low 80s to me. Still an improvement from the first game though.

Originally Posted by Majora

No, you don't buy a game when it's garbage. You might wait for a sale if a game is enjoyable but inessential, or a flawed gem.

You know that in NeoGAF there's only 2 kinds of games: masterpiece or garbage.
mindsale
Awesome. I hope I enjoy this more than the limited time I spent with the first. Looks like I will.
supervillain

Exactly.
I'm gonna watch Karak's review now, that's all i need.
GTR R35_Supra RZ

Yea mos def i was in the rush..meant if the game is decently solid.
jmaine_ph
Oh this is a Bethesda game so little to no early copies went out right?
xrnzaaas
(10-12-2017, 12:15 PM)
I will pick this up for half price around Xmas.
sphinx
the piano man
(10-12-2017, 12:15 PM)

Originally Posted by GTR R35_Supra RZ

He enjoyed it alot but wait for a...doesn't make sense. You wait for a..when the game's garbage.

yeah I am normally not into getting defensive in review threads for games I anticipate but

"I enjoyed a load of things but wait for a sale" doesn't make much sense to me either

I personally wait for a sale when I've got nothing to play and I am just looking for a $19.99 game to tide me over til I want something else.

he could have said so too, nothing wrong with not loving the game, something like "This game is a merely ok with fun stuff here and there, so wait for a sale"

oh well
Kenzodielocke
(10-12-2017, 12:18 PM)

Originally Posted by jmaine_ph

Oh this is a Bethesda game so little to no early copies went out right?

It's more of a case of copies going out too late. I think it was 2 days ago or so.
dinoroar
(10-12-2017, 12:19 PM)
Man, what is with that weird run?!
Shadowhaxor
(10-12-2017, 12:20 PM)

Originally Posted by DKHF

I'm out of the loop on this game but why is there a review embargo if Bethesda doesn't send review copies anymore? Did their policy change? Or is this the embargo for when they won't take down reviews from people who got the game early through unofficial means?

Bethesda doesn't understand their own policy. Despite them saying they weren't giving out review copies, they sent quite a few out to several outlets - no clue how they picked them as it's all over the board. Then you got those who got copies to stream.
jmaine_ph
(10-12-2017, 12:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Kenzodielocke

It's more of a case of copies going out too late. I think it was 2 days ago or so.

Right.
Ctlead
(10-12-2017, 12:22 PM)
Pretty good. As long as it's an improvement from the first, I'm happy.
SomedayTheFire
Better than the first is what I wanted to hear. Couldn't stand the first.
100%TrophyMaster
Good scores so far--can't wait to dig into this tomorrow!! Loved the first game
Soul of the Beast
Banned
(10-12-2017, 12:23 PM)
The GamesRadar review seems very spot on.
NippleViking
(10-12-2017, 12:24 PM)
Bit OT, but it's nice seeing these [Reviews in Progress] and admissions that they haven't yet completed it.
ChaosSmurf
Us too etc. Score tomorrow. General consensus is a big ol' thumbs up.
MHWilliams

Originally Posted by oti

Feeling the pressure to finsih a game to make the embargo doesn't sound enjoyable at all. Has it harmed your enjoyment of video games at all?

It's honestly hard to tell. I feel like the end of Evil Within 2 is within reach, but I've had situations where I've had to marathon games like Grand Theft Auto V in like five days, which I don't recommend.

I do get a different experience out of games I don't play for review, as being able to play at a leisurely pace means more putzing around and just trying to break things. I briefly played Stardew Valley for Switch recently and I didn't play that anywhere near what I would call efficiently. (I know what efficient is because I've played it on PC.) It was... relaxing.

I probably could've powered through EW2 in time for embargo, but other writing, sleep, and personal time meant I felt it was probably just better to give it another day.
Fancy Clown
Even if itís ďonlyĒ just as good as the firs itíll still be one of the best games of the gen for me. So to hear from most folks that itís better...this pleases me greatly.
derFeef
lil' bit tasty

Originally Posted by Soul of the Beast

The GamesRadar review seems very spot on.

How so?
sphinx
the piano man
sitting already at 76 metacritic, with 5 reviews

oh come on you 8.5 and 9 reviewers, bring this up :/

EDIT: Woah what happened, they took all reviews down expect Eurogamer's, weird

EDIT: it's all over the place, MC is taking reviews in and out, better wait
Last edited by sphinx; 10-12-2017 at 12:27 PM.
ChazGW7
(10-12-2017, 12:25 PM)

Originally Posted by sphinx

wow that's overly optimistic.

I see it in the 70~75 MC range

Yeah im a believer, but doesn't look like it will be happening. Hopefully it stays in the 80's region though.
Chris1
Wait, Bethesda lifted the review embargo and actually sent copies out?
Htown
STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why are you putting out reviews for a single player game before you're even finished playing it? What kind of nonsense is this?

We're not talking about some multiplayer-focused title where you have to see how things work with actual people on the servers. Just wait until you're done. You absolutely HAVE to have the review out at the first possible moment, even if it's incomplete?
Duchess O'Death
Wait for sale it is then! Well, not for sale but I'm waiting to finish Shadow of War and then Assassin's Creed and then Mario Odyssey & L.A. Noire and then Wolfenstein 2 & The Evil Within 2.
Renekton
Wow the ending is actually satisfying, this is a big change.
Soul of the Beast
Banned

Originally Posted by derFeef

How so?

Because I agreed with everything he said in the review.

Especially when he mentions how the visuals in general is a step back compare to the first game, upgraded engine but downgraded art direction and atmosphere.
MrS
(10-12-2017, 12:26 PM)
Year of dreams

Can't wait to jump in tomorrow
Skulldead
Finish the first one twice, I've like a lot of survival element but really didn't like the linear design (the mansion level was my biggest letdown moment ever, i would have take 15 chapter village size map). This game seem to correct that aspect for me. Can't wait for tomorow.
derFeef
lil' bit tasty

Because I agreed with everything he said in the review?

Ah, you should have made it clear that you also played/reviewed it, sorry :)
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(10-12-2017, 12:27 PM)

Originally Posted by sphinx

sitting already at 76 metacritic, with 5 reviews

oh come on you 8.5 and 9 reviewers, bring this up :/

EDIT: Woah what happened, they took all reviews down expect Eurogamer's, weird

It'll 100% change since most big review sites either don't have their review up yet or they're in progress, so I wouldn't worry too much.

(anyways, 76 is better than the original game)
Kenzodielocke
(10-12-2017, 12:28 PM)
Anyhow. Dusk is probably the best to answer this. Mikami usually takes 3-4 years for a game, TEW came out 3 years ago and he didn't direct this one. So, do we expect a game, soonish?
papercan55
(10-12-2017, 12:28 PM)

Because I agreed with everything he said in the review.

Especially when he mentions how the visuals in general is a step back compare to the first game, upgraded engine but downgraded art direction and atmosphere.

can you please give us a quick review yourself? what mode did you complete the game on?
I did notice you said things were missing from the game yesterday which are actually in the game so maybe you played on a certain mode and those options are removed?
Cyberpunk7
(10-12-2017, 12:29 PM)
I predict 85 at best
texhnolyze

Anyhow. Dusk is probably the best to answer this. Mikami usually takes 3-4 years for a game, TEW came out 3 years ago and he didn't direct this one. So, do we expect a game, soonish?

This is not directed by Shinji Mikami? Yet this is actually better than the first game? How?
Soul of the Beast
Banned

Originally Posted by papercan55

can you please give us a quick review yourself

lol how about no?
Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(10-12-2017, 12:30 PM)

They have been expanding the team and of note a year ago they had a big hire spree for recent game school graduates in Japan to be hired by next April. What I think they're trying to do is become a 'Platinum Games', of sorts, but not quite there yet. Work on multiple titles, including The Evil Within as a franchise. To note while Mikami did not direct this, he did work on it. And he has expressed he made the studio not for him to just direct stuff, to give young talent in Japan a chance.
Duchess O'Death
(10-12-2017, 12:31 PM)

Originally Posted by texhnolyze

This is not directed by Shinji Mikami? Yet this is actually better than the first game? How?

When the student becomes the teacher ha?
derFeef
lil' bit tasty

lol how about NO?

So you have not actually played it? This is not about bashing you or something, just looking for opinions from GAFers (who I usually trust more).
xviper
reviews for this genre are meaningless in this generation, Evil within 1 got 75MC and it's one of the best games of the generation for me

i expect Evil within 2 to score 78-82MC
KORNdoggy

Originally Posted by texhnolyze

because shinji mikami isn't all that?
CaVaYeRo
Ours:

https://www.gamereactor.es/analisis/...Evil+Within+2/

7/10
Our guy didnít enjoy Castellanos, story, or generic stuff that much.He enjoyed pacing, balance and some classic mechanics.
J_ToSaveTheDay
(10-12-2017, 12:33 PM)
Based on these reviews, with ACG's carrying the most weight from what I've read and watched so far, I'm in when it goes on sale for 39.99 on PS4 at Best Buy. GCU it down a bit further. That's my sweet spot.

Bethesda games seem to hit that pricepoint within a month of releasing nowadays. I'm kind of anticipating this being an early November pickup for me.
black070
(10-12-2017, 12:35 PM)
Solid reviews so far, I wish I had the time to justify picking this up day one - I adored the first.
Shadowhaxor
(10-12-2017, 12:35 PM)

Originally Posted by J_ToSaveTheDay

Based on these reviews, with ACG's carrying the most weight from what I've read and watched so far, I'm in when it goes on sale for 39.99 on PS4 at Best Buy. GCU it down a bit further. That's my sweet spot.

Bethesda games seem to hit that pricepoint within a month of releasing nowadays. I'm kind of anticipating this being an early November pickup for me.

And why is ACG's carrying the most weight? Not knocking you, just curious.
Scrawnton
(10-12-2017, 12:36 PM)
Got the game locked and loaded on Steam. Can't wait!
Renekton

Originally Posted by J_ToSaveTheDay

ACG's given reason is kinda headscratcher though, basically the combat is not survival horror enough and bosses being killable by your arsenal is an immersion-breaker.
Shredderi
Nice, getting some good reviews. Can't wait to play!
Gurish
(10-12-2017, 12:39 PM)
79 MC.

Expected a little higher than that :/