• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

statham
be hot
be naughty
be Xbox
(10-12-2017, 02:18 PM)
he made a dumb move. He made Gears of freakin War, most of his fans are still on Xbox, makes it PC/PS4 exclusive.
KonradLaw

Originally Posted by stan423321

That was not the point, I believe. Action multiplayer games are subject to the law of playerbase gravity. You go big or you get sucked in.

There's a lot of shooters that manage to get smallish, but very stable userbase, with 500-2000 peaks, which isn't huge, but not have problems with finding players online.
Soul of the Beast

Originally Posted by Brannon

Deep down, people didn't want to pay money for a game that was advertised and designed as a F2P game first. Yeah they made changes, but the stigma is already there.

That's not the main reason, the game just doesn't look attractive. It's not all that fun either.

Originally Posted by statham

he made a dumb move. He made Gears of freakin War, most of his fans are still on Xbox, makes it PC/PS4 exclusive.

lol bring it to Xbox, it won't make a difference.
Betty
The vision that was Planted in my brain
Does not still remain

Originally Posted by jsnepo

The private server of Metal Gear Online for PS2 has more people playing.

It's s great game.
SG-17
Is CliffyB's career as dead as this game now?
killroy87
Thats crazy. There are 400 people playing fucking Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 right now.

I feel bad for the devs, especially since the game is actually quite good. I hope they bounce back from this
Marcel

Originally Posted by CHC

I do find it legitimately sad - making any game takes work and from what I understand there wasn't much egregiously wrong with the game itself, more its context.

The problem with LawBreakers is it's made for a buying audience that does not exist in any important capacity that would make it a success. The switch to retail from F2P was a huge mistake.
Living the Dream
(10-12-2017, 02:19 PM)
I wonder if Macklemore is one of those 10
Thunder_God_Bane
(10-12-2017, 02:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Marcel

PUBG killed it. The Destiny 2 PC release will provide the burial.

Haha damn right about that.

I've been holding out for Destiny 2 on PC.

Got Shadow of War tho amazing game!

Then lastly Mario Odyessy thats all 3 games for me this fall.
strafer

Originally Posted by SG-17

Is CliffyB's career as dead as this game now?

Doubt it, he surely has his Gears of War money to save him, I think.
Oachkatzlschwoaf

Originally Posted by Lucifon

Internet threads and articles like this.

But seriously that is a major factor - so much discussion over number fears that people don't buy it and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. But it had a number of marketing, art style and promotional issues that resulted in this. It's a damn fun game too. I hope it goes F2P and finds success, it deserves it for how fun it is.

Thatís only a very minor part of the story. Take Project Cars 2 for example. Sold about as much (80k) and is about as old, and yet there are 100 times more people playing it.
Lawbreakers doesnít need more sales. It needed to keep the buyers playing and failed. How good can a game be if after a month 99.9% abandoned it? No one can tell me that the game is great when those are the numbers.
-MD-

Originally Posted by Nick_C

Butchered how?

They added health regen, they slowed most of the characters down, they took a fast/mobile flanker character and put overly long cooldowns on his abilities in an attempt to slow him down only to give him a raw damage boost to make up for it, they stripped all the fun out of it. In their attempt to rebalance they made one of the easiest characters to play the most powerful so now said character is dominating matches.

The game was already struggling badly prior to 1.4 but that patch really turned a lot of the active players off.
statham
be hot
be naughty
be Xbox

Originally Posted by Soul of the Beast

That's not the main reason, the game just doesn't look attractive. It's not all that fun either.

lol bring it to Xbox, it won't make a difference.

not now, its dead.
AudioEppa
(10-12-2017, 02:21 PM)
I really liked the game months ago from the beta, But I didnít purchase it because I had a feeling about low activity being a problem so early in itís life. Right now Iím waiting for it to become f2p. I hope they donít do a free weekend on PS4 hoping that will maybe save it.
Nero18
Cant help but wonder what the financial situation is over there. Wouldn't be surprised if they got picked up by some chinese company that would fund the transition to f2p and have it maybe slowly picking up steam. Feel bad for the people working on it, they didn't deserve this.
C.Mongler

Originally Posted by Blam

What happened? What was so bad about this game that everyone avoided it like the plague? Is it the price point? Was it the game?

For me, I just didn't see anything notable about the game. I also kind of forgot it even came out until the "LOOK HOW FEW PLAYERS THERE ARE" threads started popping up; there wasn't a ton of fan-fare. It looked like another multiplayer shooter in an extremely saturated market. I had Overwatch, PUBG, Titanfall 2, CS:GO, and even things like TF2 or UT2017 Alpha on deck if I really wanted to play something like that. Did Lawbreakers have it's own quirks and play-styles that made it unique? Sure, probably, but I wasn't going to spend $60 ($50? Can't remember the launch MSRP) to find out. I think the days of full-priced multiplayer-focused shooters are kind of over. If your game clearly doesn't have the hype of an Overwatch or PUBG at launch and you're charging a huge barrier to entry, you probably need to rethink the business model TBH, because games like this can't be successful if they don't have players. Even if it's objectively the best game ever fucking made at its core, if there's no hype and no one is playing it, it practically doesn't matter.
Last edited by C.Mongler; 10-12-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Biscotti

Originally Posted by EhoaVash

sucks. I kinda liked the beta on ps4, it was more easier to play than overwatch imo, but game had some problems.

also the character models were pretty ugly =/

If he thinks Overwatch was the anime of hero shooters than Lawbreakers was the tumblr of hero shooters.
PaulloDEC
(10-12-2017, 02:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Paz

The way people fetishize the failure of this game weirds me out.

Seriously, people seem to delight in bringing up the constantly dwindling playerbase, but it just bums me out. The game looked solid, nothing I've seen suggests to me that it deserved to burn out like this.
brokenbeans
Big Swaggin'
I feel bad for the team but not Cliffy.
PeterGAF

Originally Posted by HamsterExAstris

It was MP-only.

This is either a joke or youíre very out of touch
Gamezone
Should have added bots. Unreal Tournament is still very enjoyable in offline mode to this very date. So is in fact Evolve.
noomi
(10-12-2017, 02:23 PM)
That's really unfortunate. I played the game for quite a bit during release but then Destiny 2 happened.

I was hoping to return to the game at some point, but now... who will I play with?
Mendrox
(10-12-2017, 02:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Audioboxer

Bloody hell, 10 people? How is that even possible?

The king of Euro-Jank, ELEX, will probably sell better than this.

Of course Elex will sell better. It's made by the people that made Gothic.

I have seen more marketing for Elex than Lawbreakers.
Marcel

Originally Posted by noomi

I was hoping to return to the game at some point, but now... who will I play with?

Boss Key employees apparently.
Tareskog

Originally Posted by Biscotti

The game has loot boxes.

Aha!

I stand corrected then.
JonStark
I remember when CliffyB was touring studios and companies like he was Elvis reborn.
Sayad
(10-12-2017, 02:25 PM)

Originally Posted by EhoaVash

sucks. I kinda liked the beta on ps4, it was more easier to play than overwatch imo, but game had some problems.

also the character models were pretty ugly =/

> None of that anime fan type vibe bullshit
Vuci
(10-12-2017, 02:26 PM)
I wish I had more time to play it.. now I feel bad. It deserves better.
pretty done

Originally Posted by Gamezone

Should have added bots. Unreal Tournament is still very enjoyable in offline mode to this very date. So is in fact Evolve.

Yea bots would have saved Lawbreakers.
Crankshaft
Hopefully they are in the planning stages to turn this game into f2p in 2018. Loot boxes to the rescue!
Cerbero
No one really cared
Gamezone

Originally Posted by pretty done

Yea bots would have saved Lawbreakers.

No, but the game would still be playable for those who purchased it.
Gator86

Originally Posted by PaulloDEC

Seriously, people seem to delight in bringing up the constantly dwindling playerbase, but it just bums me out. The game looked solid, nothing I've seen suggests to me that it deserved to burn out like this.

Regardless of your stance on the game, it's still an incredibly interesting situation given Cliffy's industry experience and the state of the market for lower-tier titles. It's not just people pointing and laughing, even though there's lots of that. We get these threads for the same reason we get an update every time 10 people buy copies of PUBG.
Nick_C
(10-12-2017, 02:27 PM)

Originally Posted by -MD-

They added health regen, they slowed most of the characters down, they took a fast/mobile flanker character and put overly long cooldowns on his abilities in an attempt to slow him down only to give him a raw damage boost to make up for it, they stripped all the fun out of it. In their attempt to rebalance they made one of the easiest characters to play the most powerful so now said character is dominating matches.

The game was already struggling badly prior to 1.4 but that patch really turned a lot of the active players off.

Yeesh, and the numbers back that up.
Slate Soda
(10-12-2017, 02:27 PM)

Originally Posted by PaulloDEC

People really, really hate CliffyB
JDB
(10-12-2017, 02:28 PM)
Arena shooters in 2017 👀
Vipu
It wasnt that good game tbh.
If it was free I guess it could have some players but not anything else.
Music was good, thats it.
strafer
Am I missing something, why are people suddenly hating on Cliffyb? I thought people loved him.
Markoman
(10-12-2017, 02:29 PM)
A meetup of all ww Lawbreakers players and all Japanese Xbox owners would totally fit into my appartment. Maybe I should consider this.
Greedings
(10-12-2017, 02:29 PM)

Originally Posted by PeterGAF

This is either a joke or youíre very out of touch

It's GAF, everyone is out of touch.
TVexperto
(10-12-2017, 02:30 PM)
cliffyb is a great visionaire, people are just afraid to admit it and have no idea what they are talking about. lawbreakers is a fantastic game that was marketed wrong.
-MD-
(10-12-2017, 02:31 PM)

Originally Posted by TVexperto

lawbreakers is a fantastic game that was marketed wrong.

Well, it was a fantastic game. Not so much now.

But yeah most of the folks that say it was "nothing special" or "mediocre" either haven't played it or played the beta for 20 minutes.
Ryo Hazuki
(10-12-2017, 02:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Living the Dream

I wonder if Macklemore is one of those 10

lol
RooMHM
(10-12-2017, 02:32 PM)
Looked too fast for the majority of today's players.
Phoenix RISING

Originally Posted by JDB

Arena shooters in 2017 👀

Quake Champions is doing fine.
shimon

Originally Posted by Markoman

A meetup of all ww Lawbreakers players and all Japanese Xbox owners would totally fit into my appartment. Maybe I should consider this.

LMAO
stan423321

Originally Posted by -MD-

Huh. Did they really think it would make people turned off by initial marketing somehow turn back? That sounds terrible, social-wise...
Audioboxer
(10-12-2017, 02:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Mendrox

Of course Elex will sell better. It's made by the people that made Gothic.

I have seen more marketing for Elex than Lawbreakers.

I know, and I'm happy, as I'm a big PB fan.

At this point, I think everything has sold better more Lawbreakers. Even some of those Digital Homicide games probably did better :/
dmr87
(10-12-2017, 02:34 PM)
F2P will give it a small temp boost and then itís over.
-MD-
(10-12-2017, 02:34 PM)

Originally Posted by stan423321

Huh. Did they really think it would make people turned off by initial marketing somehow turn back? That sounds terrible, social-wise...

Ya'll remember that lame "#SkilledAF" thing? Well the patch that slowed the game way down ended with them signing off saying "Players of all skill levels are welcome!"

Cracked me up.