• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Biscotti
Junior Member
(10-12-2017, 02:36 PM)
Biscotti's Avatar

Originally Posted by TVexperto

cliffyb is a great visionaire, people are just afraid to admit it and have no idea what they are talking about. lawbreakers is a fantastic game that was marketed wrong.

He made a game in a market that was oversaturated. Lawbreakers anti gravity mechanic wasn't strong enough to carry it. He went up against Overwatch, Paladins and Quake Champions.

Edit: The game modes aren't the best.
Last edited by Biscotti; 10-12-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Budi
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:36 PM)
Budi's Avatar

Originally Posted by HariKari

What does it do better than other games on the market? From the chance I got to play it, the answer was basically nothing. The zero G thing is a neat gimmick but that can't carry a game.

I haven't played Titanfall, but I especially love the mobility, speed and aerial combat dances in Lawbreakers. Titanfall could offer something similar.

Originally Posted by Soul of the Beast

The character and style just look ugly to me, I find the game as unattractive as a middle aged man with 80s hair style.



Just looking at the game make me feel....ugh.

Oh the shaming of men with long hair spreads from OT to here now! Disgraceful.

Edit: Others mentioned this already, but 1.4 seemed to really disappoint some of the fans.
Last edited by Budi; 10-12-2017 at 02:42 PM.
blakep267
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:36 PM)
blakep267's Avatar

Originally Posted by statham

he made a dumb move. He made Gears of freakin War, most of his fans are still on Xbox, makes it PC/PS4 exclusive.

That's 1 thing I always wondered. No doubting the userbase is bigger for the PS4, but the Xbox base is the "shooter" box and there were no other games really releasing in the summer. It would've made sense for me to target the smaller but more barren and shooter friendly fan base and honestly skip the PC all together and just do console only
gogosox82
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:37 PM)
gogosox82's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blam



What happened? What was so bad about this game that everyone avoided it like the plague? Is it the price point? Was it the game?

I don't see how this game tanked so hard in a week where nothing big was releasing.

PUBG is dominating everything right now. It has nothing to do with the game as I think the game is good but its just that everyone is playing PUBG if your playing a shooter on pc right now. I think their numbers on console are much better though.
JDB
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:38 PM)
JDB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Phoenix RISING

Quake Champions is doing fine.



:thinking:

Originally Posted by gogosox82

PUBG is dominating everything right now. It has nothing to do with the game as I think the game is good but its just that everyone is playing PUBG if your playing a shooter on pc right now. I think their numbers on console are much better though.

Last I saw the PS4 numbers were only slightly higher at launch. Can't imagine those numbers held up much better than PC's.
texhnolyze
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:39 PM)
texhnolyze's Avatar
The game should've been F2P from the start.

When you ask for $30 for a MP shooters while there are Overwatch and PUBG out there, you're asking for your own demise. See how Paladins coexist with Overwatch and Fortnite with PUBG. A gimmick like the gravity stuff wouldn't single-handedly bring your game to success.
stan423321
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:39 PM)
stan423321's Avatar

Originally Posted by KonradLaw

There's a lot of shooters that manage to get smallish, but very stable userbase, with 500-2000 peaks, which isn't huge, but not have problems with finding players online.

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Quake Champions has been relatively stable lately: http://steamcharts.com/app/611500#3m

Mind it goes up and down with updates, but I like it as an example of a modest yet consistent player base on Steam.

Alright, glad to see it's not as terrible as I expected. That said, are all Quake Champions players visible on Steam?

Originally Posted by -MD-

Ya'll remember that lame "#SkilledAF" thing? Well the patch that slowed the game way down ended with them signing off saying "Players of all skill levels are welcome!"

Cracked me up.

Well that wasn't a particularly great marketing angle in the first place, but yeah, reversing at that point was clearly a bad idea.
RooMHM
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:39 PM)
RooMHM's Avatar

Originally Posted by TVexperto

cliffyb is a great visionaire, people are just afraid to admit it and have no idea what they are talking about. lawbreakers is a fantastic game that was marketed wrong.

Worst marketer of all time. And generally someone very very proud of himszlf andmostly irritating for his dudebro attitude.
Kayant
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:40 PM)
Kayant's Avatar
Rip when I had fun while it lasted and will continue to do so once in a while if I find games.

Originally Posted by Blam



What happened? What was so bad about this game that everyone avoided it like the plague? Is it the price point? Was it the game?

I don't see how this game tanked so hard in a week where nothing big was releasing.

Of all the factors that contributed to the game's failure the game's "quality" isn't one to a large degree.

Originally Posted by Phoenix RISING

Quake Champions is doing fine.

Relative to LB yh in the grand scheme of things especially for given the IP not so much but we shall see how far it goes once it's f2p.

Originally Posted by Budi

I haven't played Titanfall, but I especially love the mobility, speed and aerial combat dances in Lawbreakers. Titanfall could offer something similar.

Yep I have played TF and it's quite then in terms of overall movement for me but the big factor I don't like it is the Time to kill is too "COD" like.
Gai Murakumo
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:40 PM)
Gai Murakumo's Avatar
Fell faster than Battleborn.
sense
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:43 PM)
sense's Avatar

Originally Posted by statham

he made a dumb move. He made Gears of freakin War, most of his fans are still on Xbox, makes it PC/PS4 exclusive.

Yea I am sure it would have made a huge difference if he launched on Xbox first......
Brerlappin
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:43 PM)
Brerlappin's Avatar
I wonder how that dude who got a Lawbreakers tattoo feels right about now
Vipu
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:44 PM)
Vipu's Avatar

Originally Posted by JDB



:thinking:


Last I saw the PS4 numbers were only slightly higher at launch. Can't imagine those numbers held up much better than PC's.

That doesnt count people who use Bethesda launcher, most people use that so they dont have to pay to play.
Cmagus
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:44 PM)
Cmagus's Avatar
I love the game personally, I think its a lot of fun and one of my favoritr shooters in awhile but it's slowly dying on PC. I really liked the changes in the last patch but most didn't and unfortunately many who have stuck with the game bailed and were pretty upset about the changes.
Biscotti
Junior Member
(10-12-2017, 02:44 PM)
Biscotti's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brerlappin

I wonder how that dude who got a Lawbreakers tattoo feels right about now

I'm sure it was a heart breaker.
MaxiLive
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:44 PM)
MaxiLive's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brerlappin

I wonder how that dude who got a Lawbreakers tattoo feels right about now


*cries internally*
JaggedSac
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:45 PM)
JaggedSac's Avatar
Woof
CommandThrower
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:45 PM)
CommandThrower's Avatar
LawBreakers' performance is personally my saddest and depressing gaming event of the year.

I've played this game since the Closed Alpha, and watched it grow over time and make great strides to its gameplay, and it just...died. I don't regret buying the limited edition from LRG, but I am saddened by the reception that LawBreakers has received.


It seems the only, and I mean THE ONLY way for other arena shooters to be able to coexist with Overwatch is for them to be free to play, and that makes me sad.
CGwizz
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:45 PM)
CGwizz's Avatar
Cliff B a visionary ? Lmao

Not even free to play saves this billion dolar franchise AKA the dark souls of online shooters.

Dont think this studio will survive, i hope the people who work there will get jobs fast , dont feel sorry for cliff, dude acted like a massive douchebag at the gaming conferences etc
Foxy the Fox
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:47 PM)
Foxy the Fox's Avatar
Zero Gravity
Zero Players
JDB
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:47 PM)
JDB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vipu

That doesnt count people who use Bethesda launcher, most people use that so they dont have to pay to play.

It's pay to play on Steam only?
Duxxy3
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:48 PM)
Duxxy3's Avatar
Feel bad for Cliffy and the team. The game just feels so unneeded. PUBG is the new hotness. Overwatch has a huge community. CSGO has a huge community. Even the F2P shooter market is fairly well flooded.

People will make room for the next COD and the next Dice game, but that's about it. Strangely enough, a single player first person shooter would have done FAR better than Lawbreakers has. Of course what I'd really love to see is Cliffy and Bosskey work on a new Gears title (I know, shocker there).
CrashPrime
(10-12-2017, 02:49 PM)
CrashPrime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brerlappin

I wonder how that dude who got a Lawbreakers tattoo feels right about now

"Dude, huge mistake".
Exile20
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:50 PM)
Exile20's Avatar
Wasn't Drawn to Death a failure also?
Ryo Hazuki
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:50 PM)
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar

Originally Posted by -MD-

Ya'll remember that lame "#SkilledAF" thing? Well the patch that slowed the game way down ended with them signing off saying "Players of all skill levels are welcome!"

Cracked me up.

Yeah, they used "AF" so much in the marketing that it became their slogan. If you even looked at Cliffy B's Twitter during the past year he used the term "AF" so much. It really came across as "how do you do, fellow kids?".

Here's some examples:

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=af%2...ypd&lang=en-gb

GearFourth
Banned
(10-12-2017, 02:51 PM)
How is it doing on PS4 anyone here owns it there?
Rickenslacker
nothing's easy
nothing's too hard
(10-12-2017, 02:51 PM)
Rickenslacker's Avatar

Originally Posted by JDB

It's pay to play on Steam only?

During the Early Access period, yes.
darkwing
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:51 PM)
darkwing's Avatar
probably more servers than players
kurahador
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:51 PM)
kurahador's Avatar
This game got Battleborn-ed.
Seth Enosh
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Duxxy3

Feel bad for Cliffy and the team. The game just feels so unneeded. PUBG is the new hotness. Overwatch has a huge community. CSGO has a huge community. Even the F2P shooter market is fairly well flooded.

People will make room for the next COD and the next Dice game, but that's about it. Strangely enough, a single player first person shooter would have done FAR better than Lawbreakers has. Of course what I'd really love to see is Cliffy and Bosskey work on a new Gears title (I know, shocker there).

Single player would also have helped with the ďpopulation is low so not sure if I should buy itĒ line of thinking.

I havenít played since destiny came out. What I played of it was cool and after a few hours I got good at the game and got some nice placements on the scoreboard, but Iíve just been too busy with destiny since then... The changes in the most recent patch donít sound great either.
grandwizard
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:52 PM)
grandwizard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vipu

That doesnt count people who use Bethesda launcher, most people use that so they dont have to pay to play.

C'mon son.

You know those Steam numbers are terrible too for game with the Quake brand and the same price point as LB. The idea that there is a ton of people using the Bethesda client of all things being used a shield for the low player counts is obvious and doesn't help at all.

Not to mention the fact that people look at Steam numbers when considering buying, and don't give a shit about some dozens of people that have the Bethesda version. The visible low numbers will just kill new player investment and lead to less and less players over time like it did for LB.

Sadly these kinds of fast paced skill-intensive shooters just do not have a market anymore. Lawbreakers was a really solid game with some great ideas, launched at a fair price point, and still died quick. The last patch that killed off what little remnant there was of a community was another bad move.
Currygan
at last, for christ's sake
(10-12-2017, 02:53 PM)
Currygan's Avatar
Holy hell
RTCW 2001 has 1k players still
3rdamention
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:53 PM)
3rdamention's Avatar
That doesn't exactly look like a Billion Dollar Franchise to me.
EL CUCO
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:53 PM)
EL CUCO's Avatar
Feel bad for the team. They do a great job but recently made a few changes to the health system and movement in hopes of bringing in new players and as a result kinda pushed away some of the hardcores that were enjoying it how it was.

Curious to know how Quake is doing.
Bollocks
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:55 PM)
Bollocks's Avatar
Lawbreakers vs Battleborn, who would win?
Kaako
Felium Defensor
(10-12-2017, 02:55 PM)
Kaako's Avatar
The rate that this game was dropped like a hot potato by everyone is pretty insane.
Marcel
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:55 PM)
Marcel's Avatar

Originally Posted by 3rdamention

That doesn't exactly look like a Billion Dollar Franchise to me.

$0 franchise on the free sample cart now
Biscotti
Junior Member
(10-12-2017, 02:55 PM)
Biscotti's Avatar

Originally Posted by CGwizz

Cliff B a visionary ? Lmao

Not even free to play saves this billion dolar franchise AKA the dark souls of online shooters.

Dont think this studio will survive, i hope the people who work there will get jobs fast , dont feel sorry for cliff, dude acted like a massive douchebag at the gaming conferences etc

Once upon Cliffy said on twitter " Porches are for people too poor to afford a Lamborghini" I wonder if Lambos have water resistant seats.
GodofWine
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:55 PM)
GodofWine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Exile20

Wasn't Drawn to Death a failure also?

Yes, how is that relevant here?? (just asking, not 'challenging' you, hard to not sound like an ass when typing that question :) )
Oachkatzlschwoaf
Junior Member
(10-12-2017, 02:57 PM)
Oachkatzlschwoaf's Avatar

Originally Posted by EL CUCO

Feel bad for the team. They do a great job but recently made a few changes to the health system and movement in hopes of bringing in new players and as a result kinda pushed away some of the hardcores that were enjoying it how it was.

Curious to know how Quake is doing.

Some? That is quite an understatement.
There are only 10 left out of ~80.000 owners.
Budi
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:57 PM)
Budi's Avatar

Originally Posted by CommandThrower

LawBreakers' performance is personally my saddest and depressing gaming event of the year.

I've played this game since the Closed Alpha, and watched it grow over time and make great strides to its gameplay, and it just...died. I don't regret buying the limited edition from LRG, but I am saddened by the reception that LawBreakers has received.


It seems the only, and I mean THE ONLY way for other arena shooters to be able to coexist with Overwatch is for them to be free to play, and that makes me sad.

I shared my similar thoughts in the OT, with added bonus of the malice from people not into the game.

Originally Posted by strafer

Am I missing something, why are people suddenly hating on Cliffyb? I thought people loved him.

He called some Gaffers cunts 3 years ago when there were discussion about crunch in the industry and he shared his thoughts to a Naughty Dog developer sleeping at her desk when preparing for E3. You can guess that it wasn't taken well in here.

And 10 years ago he called PC gamers tech-savy enough to know how to torrent. I think he was right at the time, but that doesn't seem to be accurate anymore when PC gamers seemingly even can't understand how to use Steam.

Originally Posted by Oachkatzlschwoaf

Some? That is quite an understatement.
There are only 10 left out of ~80.000 owners.

The concurrent player peak was around 200 at best before the patch.
Last edited by Budi; 10-12-2017 at 02:59 PM.
-MD-
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:58 PM)
-MD-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki

Yeah, they used "AF" so much in the marketing that it became their slogan. If you even looked at Cliffy B's Twitter during the past year he used the term "AF" so much. It really came across as "how do you do, fellow kids?".

Here's some examples:

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=af%2...ypd&lang=en-gb
]

Yikes, and he's 42 years old. Never in my life have I used "AF" in a sentence, it's so painfully corny.
Oachkatzlschwoaf
Junior Member
(10-12-2017, 02:59 PM)
Oachkatzlschwoaf's Avatar

Originally Posted by -MD-

Yikes, and he's 42 years old. Never in my life have I used "AF" in a sentence, it's so painfully corny.

hella painful
Exile20
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:59 PM)
Exile20's Avatar

Originally Posted by GodofWine

Yes, how is that relevant here?? (just asking, not 'challenging' you, hard to not sound like an ass when typing that question :) )

These gritty style deathmatch games. The artstyle was a huge turn off to me along with the tone.

Everything doesn't have to be cartoony like OW.
Crazy Diamond
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:59 PM)
Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Originally Posted by HamsterExAstris

It was MP-only.

More people are calling you out than there are playing Lawbreakers.
EL CUCO
Member
(10-12-2017, 02:59 PM)
EL CUCO's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oachkatzlschwoaf

Some? That is quite an understatement.
There are only 10 left out of ~80.000 owners.

They were hanging around 100 or so before the recent changes.
Adam_802
Junior Member
(10-12-2017, 03:00 PM)
poor Cliffy, shoulda stuck with Epic or Gears
abacab driver
Member
(10-12-2017, 03:00 PM)
abacab driver's Avatar

Originally Posted by cLOUDo

it's probably the QA team

Dammit I didn't want to laugh but you did it.
amdb00mer
Member
(10-12-2017, 03:00 PM)
amdb00mer's Avatar
Ouch! I would like to know the PS4 userbase count. I never have trouble finding a match there.
Marcel
Member
(10-12-2017, 03:00 PM)
Marcel's Avatar

Originally Posted by -MD-

Yikes, and he's 42 years old. Never in my life have I used "AF" in a sentence, it's so painfully corny.

CliffyB is like the textbook version of an old man trying too hard to be cool

Thread Tools