• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Sarcasm
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:18 AM)
Sarcasm's Avatar
Now I am stuck playing warframe on steam, but nothing is running (no processes).

NVM found it in details!
VariantX
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Abilidebob

Why do devs almost always overestimate their servers ability to handle that much traffic?

They didn't. They got a fuck ton of extra servers for this update which is why there are 90+ instances of cetus when normally there would be 20ish at max
CertifiedFP
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:23 AM)
CertifiedFP's Avatar

Originally Posted by Abilidebob

Why do devs almost always overestimate their servers ability to handle that much traffic?

They're not. It's a matter of the fact that no non-Cost Prohibitive infrastructure exists to handle the kind of traffic and data going to and from a fixed amount of servers in fixed locations.

Funding development of assloads of new content and buying up more server infrastructure that will be redundant 95% of the time to not ever have issues are mutually exclusive uses of budget. Content doesn't generate itself - But hordes of players descending on one game at once will solve itself.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(10-13-2017, 02:26 AM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by CertifiedFP

They're not. It's a matter of the fact that no non-Cost Prohibitive infrastructure exists to handle the kind of traffic and data going to and from a fixed amount of servers in fixed locations.

Always expected a rocky launch for something this ambitious for DE, but am curious about your post.

Is there not a decent way with a cloud based back-end architecture to dynamically scale out instances as needed? With minimums and maximums defined, or on some kind of metered usage for a time?
arimanius
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:33 AM)
arimanius's Avatar
This looks awesome. I remember being blown away when they first showed it off. Just started playing this so I can't wait for this to get to PS4 and be high enough to go there.
spad3
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:34 AM)
spad3's Avatar
This will definitely get me back into Warframe.
Niceguydan8
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:35 AM)
Niceguydan8's Avatar
Outside of some network issues, I'm having a good time with it! I love being able to just walk around and explore the area.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(10-13-2017, 02:37 AM)
Neuromancer's Avatar
How do I delete a character and start over? I haven't played this game in years and I forgot literally everything about how to play. I need tutorials again. Ps4
CertifiedFP
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:38 AM)
CertifiedFP's Avatar

Originally Posted by NullPointer

Always expected a rocky launch for something this ambitious for DE, but am curious about your post.

Is there not a decent way with a cloud based back-end architecture to dynamically scale out instances as needed? With minimums and maximums defined, or on some kind of metered usage for a time?

Well... "Yes", but No. Pretty much every game I've played that's used Cloud servers - Be it Azure, Amazon Web Services, or whatever IBM's service is called has had some serious issues with Ping, Tick-Rate, and other network performance issues I don't know the name of. Pretty much every Cloud Server provider is optimized for things like webhosting and distributed code-compiling - And being used for Games is some distant 9th-place hacky usage of them with none of the architecture tuned for how any online game works.

It's for the better for the studio running an MMO to have in-house control of all their servers designed and set up exactly for the needs of the game they'll be hosting rather than relying on Cloud services, as proven with PUBG and Battlefield 1 (Operations Mode)'s netcode issues with AWS and Azure this past year. Cloud Servers, for a game like this, really should only be used as Emergency Backups for if the main servers are not available.

EDIT:

AWS is actually "ok" for games, but it's not quite there yet from my experience with games that use their servers, but I'm certain Amazon will take their game-hosting performance more and more seriously as their own big titles start rolling out. But until then, I wouldn't call it the most optimal.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(10-13-2017, 02:42 AM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

How do I delete a character and start over? I haven't played this game in years and I forgot literally everything about how to play. I need tutorials again. Ps4

That concept doesnt really apply in Warframe. You have an account and it just continues to grow as you play.

Its kindof akin to resetting your entire PSN account for a new game.

I think you can run the starter quest though, if you havent already.

EDIT: And we PS4 players need to wait a little longer for this update to drop for us.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(10-13-2017, 02:43 AM)
Haly's Avatar
You can access tutorials through the Codex, on the left hand side of the front part of your ship, or through the main menu brought up by Esc.
Naite
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:52 AM)
Naite's Avatar
Be wary of using sonicor or anything other weapon that rag dolls enemies far into the distance. I used obex's slide attack to kick an enemy 400 meters away, but the current objective was to kill all enemies in the area. You can't leave the area without forfeiting the objective and he wasnt visible at that distance so I had to wait for him to walk closer.
Hazardous Metal
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:55 AM)
Hazardous Metal's Avatar
Could anyone tell me which graphical setting I need to turn off to stop the disgusting blur that happens when moving? I've turned of motion blur, blur reflections, basically anything that I thought might cause blur and it's still happening.
Aesthet1c
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:56 AM)
Aesthet1c's Avatar
I only have a handful of hours in Warframe, I think I've only cleared like 2 planets. Am I going to be able to do this new content or is this more endgame stuff?
Laiza
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:56 AM)
Laiza's Avatar
The max-level bounties are HARD.

Fair warning - they'll ask you to do things like escort a bot through 500+ meters of terrain while constantly getting bombarded by enemy reinforcements and running into the enemy that happens to be in the path of the drone. It's crazy. I've tried multiple times to complete the highest-level bounty and failed every single one. I'm beginning to think I'm going to actually need a party for these, or else bring only my best gear and hope I can kill everything faster than they can spawn in.
Sarcasm
Member
(10-13-2017, 02:56 AM)
Sarcasm's Avatar
AS someone who has 10 hours in the game from like a year+ ago...

Its really shitty to get back into as:

1) Information conveyed in game is not done in a good way

2) I don't know what I am doing. I don't even remember how to change gear

3) Do they calculate FOV differently? If not 78 sucks. It feels like I am kissing my characters butt. Makes me sick like sitting way to close to a TV

IS there some kind of guide? Or can somebody help me sometime later when I get back from work?
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(10-13-2017, 02:56 AM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hazardous Metal

Could anyone tell me which graphical setting I need to turn off to stop the disgusting blur that happens when moving? I've turned of motion blur, blur reflections, basically anything that I thought might cause blur and it's still happening.

Maybe Depth of Field?
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(10-13-2017, 02:59 AM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aesthet1c

I only have a handful of hours in Warframe, I think I've only cleared like 2 planets. Am I going to be able to do this new content or is this more endgame stuff?

It's on Cetus, Earth so I'm pretty sure you can access it immediately.

For those of you who need a refresher:
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(10-13-2017, 03:07 AM)
Neuromancer's Avatar

Originally Posted by NullPointer

That concept doesnt really apply in Warframe. You have an account and it just continues to grow as you play.

Its kindof akin to resetting your entire PSN account for a new game.

I think you can run the starter quest though, if you havent already.

EDIT: And we PS4 players need to wait a little longer for this update to drop for us.

Interesting. Ok thanks
VariantX
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:08 AM)
If you have a twitch account, be sure to link it to your warframe account and you can get a free syandana (flowey cape cosmetic thing).
Thorjak
Junior Member
(10-13-2017, 03:12 AM)
I have been interested in this game for a while and the new update seems like a good time to start. But if i don't plan to spend any money on this, will i still enjoy it or will it be way to grindy?
texhnolyze
Banned
(10-13-2017, 03:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Zafir

It's through the client itself, not through steam. Launch it and it'll download.

Ah, I see. Thanks, updating..
GrimDarkDarrel
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:16 AM)
GrimDarkDarrel's Avatar
Dipped my toe in briefly and will return later.

Got some questions, if anyone is game to answer them.

1. I hacked an Eidolon Lure and it turned out to be the only way to kill the little robot guys that go invincible after you shoot them. The lure was then glowing and couldn't absorb any more of them. What do I do with the lure once it is powered up?

2. I understand you need to be in your operator form to hurt an Eidolon? What's the shortest path to unlocking that?

3. (An answer) For anyone wondering why you can't swap into your Archwing, your clan needs to research that. Not sure how long that takes, but people were asking about this constantly in clan chat.

4. Anyone know how long you have to be watching a twitch stream to get all the bonuses? I've had one open for a few hours now, not sure when I should close it. I keep it minimized because I don't want any spoilers, which is a dumb system for sure but making the most of it.
Askherserenity
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:17 AM)
Askherserenity's Avatar
I remember playing Warframe on the PS4 when it first released on there but I don't remember anything at all and I started over on PC.

Does anyone have a good starter video guide? There's a lot going on in the game...

And do a lot of people play using a controller or is KB+M heavily favored?
Glitchesarecool
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:37 AM)
Glitchesarecool's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrimDarkDarrel

2. I understand you need to be in your operator form to hurt an Eidolon? What's the shortest path to unlocking that?

Play the starchart and complete the requirements for Junctions. The regular progression through nodes will take you through the two big cinematic quests, The Second Dream and The War Within. Beating TWW clears you for your hunt.

Originally Posted by Askherserenity

And do a lot of people play using a controller or is KB+M heavily favored?

I'd say most PC people will play on KBM, but steam overlay support is great for using controller.
Aesthet1c
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:42 AM)
Aesthet1c's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

It's on Cetus, Earth so I'm pretty sure you can access it immediately.

For those of you who need a refresher:

Excellent! Thanks!
Indrid Cold
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:51 AM)
Looking forward to this coming to consoles. Hope the frame rate won't be as bad as new earth. Still bs I can't move my account to pc.
Niceguydan8
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:55 AM)
Niceguydan8's Avatar

Originally Posted by Indrid Cold

Looking forward to this coming to consoles. Hope the frame rate won't be as bad as new earth. Still bs I can't move my account to pc.

You can thank your console manufacturers for not being able to move it :)

Also, the creative director mentioned there was a lot of optimization work put into this update, not just for the new content either.
GrimDarkDarrel
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:58 AM)
GrimDarkDarrel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Glitchesarecool

Play the starchart and complete the requirements for Junctions. The regular progression through nodes will take you through the two big cinematic quests, The Second Dream and The War Within. Beating TWW clears you for your hunt.

I've done The War Within already but the icon to switch isn't showing up in plains.

Originally Posted by Glitchesarecool

I'd say most PC people will play on KBM, but steam overlay support is great for using controller.

You weren't responding to me here, but just wanted to add that I play with gamepad on PC and the gamepad support is not very good at all. Sensitivity and mapping defaults on a 360 controller were wacky, UI constantly shows KB controls and some parts aren't usable at all without a mouse. I really hope they polish that at some point.
Naite
Member
(10-13-2017, 03:59 AM)
Naite's Avatar
Probably obvious but you can't rerun bounties to try and get other rewards.

Also fuck those 5k credit rewards in the bounties.
TharpDaddy
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:03 AM)
TharpDaddy's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrimDarkDarrel


You weren't responding to me here, but just wanted to add that I play with gamepad on PC and the gamepad support is not very good at all. Sensitivity and mapping defaults on a 360 controller were wacky, UI constantly shows KB controls and some parts aren't usable at all without a mouse. I really hope they polish that at some point.

So it's unintuitive, but you have to launch Warframe through Steam Big Picture with a controller to get the proper controls and controller prompts.
Dolobill
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:07 AM)
Dolobill's Avatar
So I guess this is a good time to start playing Warframe?
GrimDarkDarrel
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:15 AM)
GrimDarkDarrel's Avatar

Originally Posted by TharpDaddy

So it's unintuitive, but you have to launch Warframe through Steam Big Picture with a controller to get the proper controls and controller prompts.

That's pretty weird. I had no idea. I use the standalone client though, is there a way to trigger the big picture effect without steam?
Coriolanus
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:20 AM)
Coriolanus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dolobill

So I guess this is a good time to start playing Warframe?

the last two years have constantly been a good time to start playing Warframe.

Is also the best game to play for 10-30h, quit, then come back a year later and see the absolute gobs of progress that have been made in the thing, since, yknow, FREE.
Glitchesarecool
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:24 AM)
Glitchesarecool's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrimDarkDarrel

I've done The War Within already but the icon to switch isn't showing up in plains.

So it looks like when they refunded all the focus, they also reset all the schools to being "locked." Run back to unlock some and you should have access again.
Niceguydan8
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:26 AM)
Niceguydan8's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dolobill

So I guess this is a good time to start playing Warframe?

It has been a great time to start for a while, but this update is particularly cool. So yeah, give it a shot!
Naite
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:35 AM)
Naite's Avatar
Encountered the same bug twice in a row in the 2nd or 3rd bounty. After a sabotage where I have to defend a point, then kill all the enemies, I dont get a new objective and nothing else happens. I tried going back to cetus but that just reset my progress where I encountered the same problem halfway into my 2nd run.
TharpDaddy
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:43 AM)
TharpDaddy's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrimDarkDarrel

That's pretty weird. I had no idea. I use the standalone client though, is there a way to trigger the big picture effect without steam?

Sorry i'm not sure. There might not be, something about Steam Big Picture is what puts it into console/controller mode.
Uthred
Member
(10-13-2017, 04:45 AM)
Uthred's Avatar
New area looks very nice, though I feel its wasted by just dumping you there with no explanation. Bounties seem like an interesting system but considering how long they take they should have better low level rewards, a meaningless handful of credits doesnt cut it. Not as buggy as expected, but still buggy enough to be annoying. Looking forward to trying it out properly tomorrow. It doesnt feel mind blowingly different from whats come before, but at the same time it does feel new, which is something.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(10-13-2017, 04:48 AM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by CertifiedFP

Well... "Yes", but No. (...)

Thanks for the detailed response.

Hopefully that changes.

Originally Posted by Dolobill

So I guess this is a good time to start playing Warframe?

The game has been in a great state for a long time now - enough that DE has managed to add a lot of polish and optimizations across the board while also adding new systems to help new players as well as to keep long time players engaged. They juggle a fuckton of plates.

Just don't be surprised by a few bumps in the road with the Plains. Its so much new stuff that there's bound to be some patches and updates. Luckily, console users tend to benefit most by have a staggered release where a lot of that patching, feedback and further patching from the PC playerbase gets all bundled up by the time it drops.
Glitchesarecool
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:11 AM)
Glitchesarecool's Avatar
Patch inbound for a bunch of bugs. It's currently 11pm their local time, I wonder if they're just going to spend the night cleaning things up.
Orochinagis
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:13 AM)
Orochinagis's Avatar
Looks like the surviving the night achievement is glitchy,the hunt was pretty good to chill , drink coffe and watch some streams for once
Spirit of Jazz
Banned
(10-13-2017, 05:13 AM)
Spirit of Jazz's Avatar
I'm a little dissapointed with the plains. I assumed that they'd be big multiplayer spaces as opposed to being limited to 4 players.
Naite
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:18 AM)
Naite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Glitchesarecool

Patch inbound for a bunch of bugs. It's currently 11pm their local time, I wonder if they're just going to spend the night cleaning things up.


Increased accuracy and damage of the Grineer Dropship turrets in the Plains.

I hope that is actually backwards because I take enough damage from random shit on higher level bounties as it is and it takes nearly a full Opticor mag for me to shoot down any of those flying ships.
Ronin Ray
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:18 AM)
Ronin Ray's Avatar

Originally Posted by Niceguydan8

Steve addressed that today while he was on Periscope. He said the reason that it's not possible had to do with the contracts with console manufacturers.

It sucks so much
ZugZug123
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:32 AM)
ZugZug123's Avatar
Escorting the little drone is a pain solo ^^' I can heal it as Trinity but even then, I can't kill things fast enough by myself.
ph1l0z0ph3r
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:37 AM)
ph1l0z0ph3r's Avatar
So how do you unlock the archwing in plains?
Strangelove77
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:38 AM)
Strangelove77's Avatar
Can someone explain how maxing out weapons work? I heard someone say that you should always be leveling up your gear...but why? What does it do?
I'm just not a fan of removing the gear I like for something I don't.

Also, if I'm always supposed to be leveling stuff, is it ok to buy/create another gun of the same type and get rid of the old maxed out one? Or do I have to keep it?
I just got a new heat sword but I already had a maxed out version and weapon slots don't come cheap.
Naite
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:46 AM)
Naite's Avatar
These common rewards for the bounties..... Got 2 cyan stars for completing the new level 40-60 one.

Maybe I'll just stick for sorties and my growing mass of ayatan statues for the time being.
Arrrammis
Member
(10-13-2017, 05:46 AM)
Arrrammis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Strangelove77

Can someone explain how maxing out weapons work? I heard someone say that you should always be leveling up your gear...but why? What does it do?
I'm just not a fan of removing the gear I like for something I don't.

Also, if I'm always supposed to be leveling stuff, is it ok to buy/create another gun of the same type and get rid of the old maxed out one? Or do I have to keep it?
I just got a new heat sword but I already had a maxed out version and weapon slots don't come cheap.

You level up your mastery (basically your account level) by using lots of different weapons. Leveling up the same weapon again won't give you any more mastery, so you'll have to use lots of different weapons as you play, but you can still keep a few of your favorite weapons around.

Thread Tools