• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire for PC is the ultimate shabby console port

I'd rather it have a few graphical hitches (yet still look better than the console), than have a horrible UI/menus, broken mouse control, forced mouse accel, forced vsync, etc. like Skyrim. Oh and it's stable, not running on the crashbryo engine.

Anyone aware of Rockstars "colourful" history on the PC will not be surprised in the least bit that LA Noire is a crappy five minute port job. I used to be a huge Rockstar fanboy but thankfully Rockstar cured me of that affliction with the abomination that was GTA 4 on the PC.

Now these days when I hear that Rockstar are being gracious enough to bring any product to the PC I think "why do they even bother ?". The only time I will ever consider purchasing any of Rockstars products is if they start releasing the PC version at the same time as the console version and that they actually put a bit of effort into the PC version. Since neither of those things are ever likely to happen I will carry on ignoring Rockstars poor quality goods and spend my money elsewhere.

Angry Fork

It was expected after seeing the max requirements being something like 8gb ram rofl.

Also I would gather LA Noire port was sloppy because the development for consoles in general was sloppy. It's probably just a quick cash in. I don't know why they won't do the same for RDR though. I'm assuming they don't have the man power I guess and the usual port team is doing something else?

hlhbk

mjemirzian said:
I'd rather it have a few graphical hitches (yet still look better than the console), than have a horrible UI/menus, broken mouse control, forced mouse accel, forced vsync, etc. like Skyrim. Oh and it's stable, not running on the crashbryo engine.

LOL! WOW! You actually just wrote that????? I have had 0 issues with any of the items you listed above. Outside of the first ride into town Skyrim has been nothing but a pleasure to play. LA Noire is STABLE? Now that is some funny shit!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mjemirzian said:

The UI/menus are a subjective issue, but I think they are fine. Either way, you'll have plenty of mods to change them in shor time.

The mouse control, forced mouse acceleration and v-sync can be easily changed in the ini files. Obviously, it would be better if players didn't have to wade through ini files to change shit, but at least the option is there.

Ogs said:
It doesnt ?

Unless your using an ATI card

GTX 480, 6gb of ram and an i7 quad core 2.8ghz, L.A. Noire doesn't run well. The Steam version requires you to run the Steam.exe in admin to simply launch the bloody game. Otherwise Windows 7 UAC apparently causes the launcher to stall and die. Fantastic testing they did there.

I would be able to handle L.A. Noire's 30fps cap *if* it was at least consistent but it's not. I've been afraid to run FRAPS to see just how inconsistent and low the framerate actually goes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well, at least PC gamers should know they're not missing much considering the game is a total disappointment. IMO, of course.

DangerStepp said:
This isn't good news; I was half looking forward to playing it. :(

Maybe some mods will clean this up? Maybe get that rad GTA IV graphics mod on there? :p
Unfortunately I don't think anybody feels *that* attached to LA Noire, but I'm sure there will be some mods eventually.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
chubigans said:
Well, at least PC gamers should know they're not missing much considering the game is a total disappointment. IMO, of course.

yeah..worst game I have played this year .honestly.(at least Fear 3 ended fast)

hlhbk

Totobeni said:
yeah..worst game I have played this year .honestly.(at least Fear 3 ended fast)

I couldn't disagree more. LA Noire was a great game especially for those who love a cinematic experience with a great story.

There is a crack floating around that claims the bad performance is due to the game's (not-so-)clever protection:

Seriously Rockstar Games, why use a protection that ends up punishing people that actually buy your games? Team Bundi did an excellent piece work on this game, and yet you made the game suffer with the protection added to it. Some people that bought the game, can't even run the game because of this clever protection. Protections like this one can get too clever, that it is the reason for lower framerates, and in the end make the game almost unplayable for others

So, same situation as with The Witcher II, I guess.. but I doubt Rockstar is going to remove the DRM like CDPR did...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hlhbk said:
I couldn't disagree more. LA Noire was a great game especially for those who love a cinematic experience with a great story.
so it's a great game for those who like watching movies? how does it play?

amdnv

hlhbk said:
LA Noire was a great game especially for those who love a cinematic experience with a great story.
I've got better advice for those who love the two things you mentioned: watch LA Confidential, Chinatown and Double Indemnity, and don't waste your time with the silly cases in LA Noire.

styl3s

amdnv said:
I've got better advice for those who love the two things you mentioned: watch LA Confidential, Chinatown and Double Indemnity, and don't waste your time with the silly cases in LA Noire.
I loved all 3.

Don't waste your time with this guy, if you want to have a fun time play the game, who cares if its locked at 30fps stop bitching and just have fun.

And i thought console gamers were a whiny ass bunch but it turns out the so called "master race" is far worse.

FLEABttn said:
It got a pretty significant performance patch post launch. It's smooth as butter now.
It's still runs like garbage on my ati card, so there's that.

details:
Microstuttering when driving. This is a common problem. The common solution is to fuck around with all kinds of launch commands or having it launch in a window instead of full screen. Of course, nothing works ideally because it's a POS port.

x3sphere

King_Moc said:
GTA IV ran like crap too. There's no excuse for this, considering how long the ports have taken them and the gap in power between PC and consoles. Do they do these internally or outsource?

GTA IV was a different beast. A lot more going on, and it ran fine if you stayed conservative with the settings. Most of the it runs like shit claims came from people that upped the draw distance beyond their hardware capabilities. Rockstar even said at the time of release that the higher settings were designed for future hardware.

FLEABttn

Banned
Mudkips said:
Halo:CE are far worse offenders.

Nope. Those problems were GeForce FX cards running the game with DX9 shaders. DX9 ATI hardware was running Halo:CE just fine. Ask anyone who had a 9700pro.

Digishine

Banned
x3sphere said:
GTA IV was a different beast. A lot more going on, and it ran fine if you stayed conservative with the settings. Most of the it runs like shit claims came from people that upped the draw distance beyond their hardware capabilities. Rockstar even said at the time of release that the higher settings were designed for future hardware.

Kong Fisso said:
I'll punch anyone defending the GTA IV pc port right in the mouth.

Well u got some work here.

watership

What isn't a bad PC port these days? Almost every major release there is a performance problems or obviously console centric design decisions.

(._.)

Banned
watership said:
What isn't a bad PC port these days? Almost every major release there is a performance problems or obviously console centric design decisions.
That is true for a decent amount of games but hardly applies to almost all of them. On top of that much is forgiven if the game does more right than wrong. LA Noire apparently is horrible on PC and is a completely useless port of a game.

After seeing the PS3 version all I wanted was some good anti-aliasing. It doesn't look like they can even get that right. I still want the game though but will definitely wait until it hits the bargain bin.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hlhbk said:

The Story was pure and utter garbage,the flashbacks and people motives are all over the place, many parts are hilariously funny like the betrayal other make absolutely no sense,the Cole story is one of the worse in video game, the way Cole and Jack Kelso story line clash is really weak you can read shit on fanfiction.com better than this crap, the characters are not flashed out like Cole himself and the whore or Cole's wife,Also that ending..that fucking ending.

McNamara was writing for headless monkeys apparently ( that or for zombies), because in the cases when evidence or clues point their fingers to a suspect then he is not the criminal, very poor writing from McNamara here, hell some of the suspects even ran away in the streets from the cops, put himself and other people in danger,or trying to burn their crap, or even admitting they did it during the integrations,when in the end they are not the real criminal/killer.

As for the "cinematic experience" part..McNamara use actors and it has "face acting" maybe but it's really not cinematic at all,the presentation is years away from from being anything close cinematic,the integrations parts are pathetic as Oblivion conversations, it's one camera on that face the other on the other face,this is some George Lucas shit right here, even that abomination called Heavy Rain is more cinematic than LA Noire and has actually cinematography,real camera work and shit, McNamara game have nothing at all.

Also the gameplay is the worst thing in this thing called a "game" the shooting/gun play is poor,driving is bad, the control is even worst even the heavily scripted almost on rail chase sequences are completely awful, the street crimes are repetitive as fuck too, and why the most soulless dull city in the history of open world games is even here is beyond me.

hlhbk

x3sphere said:

What is your excuse for it running like shit now? Also to the guy that said Halo CE was a terrible port you are crazy. It was by far the best version of Halo CE available until the anniversary edition came out.

Totobeni said:
The Story was pure and utter garbage,the flashbacks and people motives are all over the place, many parts are hilariously funny like the betrayal other make absolutely no sense,the Cole story is one of the worse in video game, the way Cole and Jack Kelso story line clash is really weak you can read shit on fanfiction.com better than this crap, the characters are not flashed out like Cole himself and the whore or Cole's wife,Also that ending..that fucking ending.

McNamara was writing for headless monkeys apparently ( that or for zombies), because in the cases when evidence or clues point their fingers to a suspect then he is not the criminal, very poor writing from McNamara here, hell some of the suspects even ran away in the streets from the cops, put himself and other people in danger,or trying to burn their crap, or even admitting they did it during the integrations,when in the end they are not the real criminal/killer.

As for the "cinematic experience" part..McNamara use actors and it has "face acting" maybe but it's really not cinematic at all,the presentation is years away from from being anything close cinematic,the integrations parts are pathetic as Oblivion conversations, it's one camera on that face the other on the other face,this is some George Lucas shit right here, even that abomination called Heavy Rain is more cinematic than LA Noire and has actually cinematography,real camera work and shit, McNamara game have nothing at all.

Also the gameplay is the worst thing in this thing called a "game" the shooting/gun play is poor,driving is bad, the control is even worst even the heavily scripted almost on rail chase sequences are completely awful, the street crimes are repetitive as fuck too, and why the most soulless dull city in the history of open world games is even here is beyond me.

This and thank you.

The worst, most overhyped stupid bull shit gameplay ever was the so-called "evidence finding" portion of the game. WHich basically had you walking around clicking X on anything that you could click X on and then seeing if stupid Cole Phelps thought it was a clue or not. It was really disappointing and made to seem like you were doing real detective work, when you weren't. I remember when I first picked up the matchbook and was like, "Oh, the Medusa Lounge, interesting, this will lead me somewhere!" and then every other mission in the game has random matchbooks laying around, and it's the old, "You're stretching here Cole..." like, for no reason.

They tried to make the fact finding seem organic, and it wasn't, it was contrived and stupid. The gameplay was also horrible and the interrogations just didn't work. I was appalled when I read articles weeks later about how some school was going to use the game to help kids with Aspbergers and Autism recognize facial patterns and conversational issues, because the game was just so basically flawed in that respect, but every reviewer and media member just, for whatever reason, decided to pretend like it was functional. And it wasn't. I feel bad for how confused those kids must have been to have teachers telling them to learn the facial patterns and figure out reactions, only to be painfully frustrated in that the game was inconsistent shit.

Mr_Zombie

zerokoolpsx said:
And it was handled by Ubisoft for that port. =/
Ugh, why do people keep repeating it?

Ubisoft only distributed the game in North America and Europe, RE4, DMC3 and Omnimusha 3 ports were all made by SourceNext - a Japanese PC software company that was also responsible for many PC ports of Capcom games (beforementioned RE4, DMC3, O3 but also Dino Crisis 2, Breath of Fire IV, rereleases of RE2 and RE3 etc).

hlhbk said:
LOL! WOW! You actually just wrote that????? I have had 0 issues with any of the items you listed above. Outside of the first ride into town Skyrim has been nothing but a pleasure to play. LA Noire is STABLE? Now that is some funny shit!
Gamebryo is one of the most legendarily crashy, laggy, buggy, unstable, and fragile third party engines in the history of video games, especially when Bethesda gets their hands on it. LA Noire on the other hand might have slowdown here and there (more related to the DRM it's been saddled with), but comparing it to Gamebryo is ridiculous.

hlhbk

mjemirzian said:
Gamebryo is one of the most legendarily crashy, laggy, buggy, unstable, and fragile third party engines in the history of video games, especially when Bethesda gets their hands on it. LA Noire on the other hand might have slowdown here and there (more related to the DRM it's been saddled with), but comparing it to Gamebryo is ridiculous.

Your right Gamebyro actually runs on my PC! Rediculous!

FGMPR

Banned

I don't think their is anything inherently unstable with Gamebryo itself. After all, its been used for games like (according to wiki) Civilization, Pirates, Defense Grid, Bully, Rift, Divinity 2, Epic Mickey and Catherine. Looking at that list, the diversity of those games and stability of most of them suggest the engine itself is quite impressive.

It seems to me to be more to do with Bethesda stretching its capabilities to almost breaking point.

Carcetti

I've been running Skyrim on 3 year old pc for about 60 hours with a great frame on high details, with one (1) crash to desktop. But keep reaching like Rockstar paid you to defend L.A. Noire.

Wow, another Bethesda nutcase that's so extremely deluded that they can't see Bethesda's legendary reputation for unstable, buggy, crashy Gamebryo engine games (even when ported to console). Topped off with a "you're a paid shill" accusation. Cute.

Gaogaogao

Wow, another Bethesda nutcase that's so extremely deluded that they can't see Bethesda's legendary reputation for unstable, buggy, crashy Gamebryo engine games (even when ported to console). Topped off with a "you're a paid shill" accusation. Cute.

that explains why pretty much everyone is playing it and enjoying it no matter what pc they have.

I seriously hope rockstar gets their shit together for max payne 3

Karak

Shit. The main choice screen is 99% black with just 1 streelight showing. I can hear it when I try to make choices in the options...but the damn game has issues. Anyone else have this?

This and thank you.

The worst, most overhyped stupid bull shit gameplay ever was the so-called "evidence finding" portion of the game. WHich basically had you walking around clicking X on anything that you could click X on and then seeing if stupid Cole Phelps thought it was a clue or not. It was really disappointing and made to seem like you were doing real detective work, when you weren't. I remember when I first picked up the matchbook and was like, "Oh, the Medusa Lounge, interesting, this will lead me somewhere!" and then every other mission in the game has random matchbooks laying around, and it's the old, "You're stretching here Cole..." like, for no reason.

They tried to make the fact finding seem organic, and it wasn't, it was contrived and stupid. The gameplay was also horrible and the interrogations just didn't work. I was appalled when I read articles weeks later about how some school was going to use the game to help kids with Aspbergers and Autism recognize facial patterns and conversational issues, because the game was just so basically flawed in that respect, but every reviewer and media member just, for whatever reason, decided to pretend like it was functional. And it wasn't. I feel bad for how confused those kids must have been to have teachers telling them to learn the facial patterns and figure out reactions, only to be painfully frustrated in that the game was inconsistent shit.

talk about hyperbole. you're just doing exactly what you accuse others of doing. the gameplay is fine. The port, however, is not.
Im actually playing it in black and white cause it reduces so much of the shimmering and aliasing. i have everthing at the highest possible setting. it actually looks pretty decent in B&W.

Cartman86

Banned
Sounds like the kind of game that was made specifically for a set hardware and will never be able to ported well in the future. Always pisses me off when I hear about people not future proofing shit. Record voice over in shitty compressed audio? Are you stupid?

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21041862/LANoire fix.7z

A mod that removes 30 fps cap and the black bars. I don't have the game, just spreading the word. Anyone try it out yet? I thought the face tech meant it was impossible to increase fps?

Not working for me, but then it seems to be made for the Steam release.

Has anyone been able to find a way around Fraps not working (although it seems to work for many)? My admittedly ancient and anemic system (2500k @ 4.7, 2x6950 @ 900/1350, 8gigs ram) appears to be having trouble keeping up with the game, but I can't be certain since it may be that I'm just used to games running at 60fps.

Performance aside, the facial animations are blowing me away (GiantBomb's QL had me worried that I might find them jarring/unsettling when slapped into a low polygon world).

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
It's all come down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ , mateys. Console games are where most of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ come from, and that's where the game industry focus their product. Releasing games on "console family" (XBOX 360, PS3, etc) already give huge profit with lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ . Porting and selling to PC are merely a "test case" to find out whether more profit can be made, and the cheapest way to do it is by making a shabby port then see whether the markets can be fooled.

The technology are available for high-quality port, but that's not the point. Older PC games released before 2005 might have "antique" animation and textures or graphic, but many have great gameplay and story, and proportionally utilized any available technology back then.

Top Bottom