• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 40th day was alright.

I never played any of these games but I remember hearing the first game was pretty bad, the second game was pretty alright, and third was bad? I don't know. I wouldn't mind more co-op focused franchises coming back but I never played those games. Also I hope Dead Space 4 wouldn't be co-op focused.

I would like them to put Blood on the Sand on Xbone BC

Compared to the first, it wasn't that great. It tried to add meaningless things to what once was a very focused game about two guys with tons of weapons and indepth weapon customization options. It also felt like a game where the developers were forced to make a sequel. I have to say though that I only played those games co-op so as single player games they may very well be mediocre but co-op? they were fantastic. Especially the first one.

Dany

Banned
They prerecord these Yakuza videos right? They don't do them week in/out. I wonder how long ago they've had these done

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The comparison of the translations between Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 is incredible considering how much text those games both have. I mean, to be fair I've only seen the P5 QL and maybe another two hours of footage elsewhere (and the translation didn't seem egregiously bad outside of interrogation lady, just...fine) but the Yakuza 0 translation is amazing

Hindl

The comparison of the translations between Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 is incredible considering how much text those games both have. I mean, to be fair I've only seen the P5 QL and maybe another two hours of footage elsewhere (and the translation didn't seem egregiously bad outside of interrogation lady, just...fine) but the Yakuza 0 translation is amazing

Well I dunno, the rough localization in P5 seems mostly confined to the adults (especially Sae), whereas the kids talking to each other are usually pretty good. Yusuke is a little weird but that fits his character somewhat. And the kids talking to each other is most of the game, so it hasn't bothered me much

Mupod

Just got around to watching the Flinthook QL, that game looks a lot better than I thought the first time they showed it on UPF. But more importantly, the fact that Jason didn't like the pixel art monster hunter game is the most shocking revelation of 2017.

Haven't watched the QL but I know what you're talking about. I backed Mercenary Kings on the first day of its kickstarter because I figured there was no way Paul Robertson + Metal Slug could be bad, and when I found out it was actually a Monster Hunter-like I was even more sold. But then I played it and it was pretty meh.

Holy fucking shit, this Cabaret Club minigame. I wanna play this.

It's actually... really good? I spent a lot of time on it and min-maxed all the girls to have 3 maxed stats, which is a LOT of trial and error because they don't actually tell you what each item individually does. I did all that while also making sure they didn't look like clowns. Shit's IMPORTANT.

Well I dunno, the rough localization in P5 seems mostly confined to the adults (especially Sae), whereas the kids talking to each other are usually pretty good. Yusuke is a little weird but that fits his character somewhat. And the kids talking to each other is most of the game, so it hasn't bothered me much

I agree that the P5 localization is not too bothersome but the thing is that it is, at best, good enough to not be noticeable. Meanwhile watching Yakuza 0 there are constantly little bits of flair added to lines that are hilarious and feel like they only work in English. There are little bits of alliteration and English idioms that really make the dialogue feel fun. Stuff like "I'll have them melting like chocolate on a dashboard!" or "What the shit is that? Dude is like a lust machine!" or "You're sappier than a tree!" It's a really impressive localization, especially for a super niche game marketed mostly towards Japanophiles.

Tubobutts

It's actually... really good? I spent a lot of time on it and min-maxed all the girls to have 3 maxed stats, which is a LOT of trial and error because they don't actually tell you what each item individually does. I did all that while also making sure they didn't look like clowns. Shit's IMPORTANT.
I maxed out 3 stats and embraced the looking like clowns.

The Technomancer

I agree that the P5 localization is not too bothersome but the thing is that it is, at best, good enough to not be noticeable. Meanwhile watching Yakuza 0 there are constantly little bits of flair added to lines that are hilarious and feel like they only work in English. There are little bits of alliteration and English idioms that really make the dialogue feel fun. Stuff like "I'll have them melting like chocolate on a dashboard!" or "What the shit is that? Dude is like a lust machine!" or "You're sappier than a tree!" It's a really impressive localization, especially for a super niche game marketed mostly towards Japanophiles.
"High-five, brain" is the one that got me last time, and its not just that the dialogue is quippy or funny its that it does such a great job of establishing all sorts of characterizations

Hindl

Yeah that's true, the localization for Yakuza 0 is great. Just like the sharing thing, I'm going to lay the blame on Atlus JP and give the localization team a pass

Mista Koo

So I'm giving the premium membership a shot for the first time and I have a few questions:

• Is there a good way to browse their premium content? The best thing I found was qlcrew.
  • Are there any curated lists of the good stuff?
  • Does the website's video player not work on mobile?
  • How do I subscribe to the ad free podcast on a phone?
  • Is there anything more to the premium subscription?

Yeah, he finds it shitty. Which is fair enough. No need to crap all over the guy.

I like Alex and he can usually roll with more crass jokes. But sometimes he can be a wet blanket when it comes to choosing fun decisions in games. Can you imagine how different the P4 endurance run would be with Alex on it? He wouldn't let them choose the option to flirt.

Fireblend

Banned
So I'm giving the premium membership a shot for the first time and I have a few questions:

• Is there a good way to browse their premium content? The best thing I found was qlcrew.

You get to complain twice as much about UPF without anyone calling you out on it.

Also the player works fine for me on Android.

What podcast app do you use?

Subbing
https://twitter.com/giantbomb/status/846891882919583745

I am so excited to see the crew's reaction to YAKUZA 0 SPOILER
Tachibana's bat Tattoo

I don't remember exactly when that happens, maybe they'll get there in like 2 or 3 eps, unless they get super sucked into the Cabaret Club.

They should do a live show of just Cabaret grinding, even if it got boring I could just listen to that sweet sweet music

Mr. F

Banned

1) not really, QLcrew is best
2) Check the OP for commonly recommended content
3) The player works for me on mobile, unless it broke in the last couple days. In any case, prepare to be annoyed at the player
4) Podcatcher apps such as Downcast or Overcast have the ability to add podcasts from RSS, which is how I believe you get premium casts (its been a while, someone correct me)
5) You get to complain as a paying customer

Here's a good list of Premium Content from dearly departed Myggen. In particular, I'm a big fan of Drew's North Korea video, Backflips N' Bioforge, and the Phantasmagoria RPCG.

• Is there a good way to browse their premium content?
  • Are there any curated lists of the good stuff? -
  • Does the website's video player not work on mobile? -
  • How do I subscribe to the ad free podcast on a phone? -
  • Is there anything more to the premium subscription? - .

In order :

The best thing I found was qlcrew. - They have an actual tab on their site that's premium only content. QLCrew does a great job with breaking down who's on what shows and all of that, but GB has a way to differentiate on their website.

Not that I've seen, but if you watch the "Best of Giant Bomb" every week (and go back to the early episodes), you can get a good idea of what has "classic" moments"

Couldn't tell ya, sorry.

Couldn't tell ya, sorry. The ads aren't horrible though, even though yes you'd be paying to get rid of them.

Other than specific premium content, if you like GB that much, it does feel good to know you're helping support them. I have every "membership" shirt since they started, and it makes me feel like I'm a fancy club, haha

My Top Ten list of Giant Bomb Premium #Content

1. Fortune Street TNT (this might be available without premium)

2. Metal Gear Scanlon

3. Random PC Game: Phantasmagoria

4. Backflips 'n BioForge

5. Load our Last Souls

6. Mario Party Party

7. Demo Derby

8. Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls

9. Hitman (Specifically the Double Agents one, where Brad and Dan compete)

10. Contradiction

The Technomancer

Hitman content was amazing, so has basically everything East has put out (some people aren't a fan of Blue Bombing, but as someone who's only played Mega Man 2, 3, 4, 9 and 10 its interesting seeing all the other games)

GBW does some Playdates also, but they don't seem to interest me as much. The East ones are fun because they tend to either pick something so fucking weird, like Tender Loving Care, or some game that allows for enough chaos to unleash Vinny on

Kaibutsu

There's a BuzzFeed article about how apparently the new internet hotness is people using the Papa Roach song Last Resort to make fun of stuff and all I can think of is Vinny Carvella singing it. Can someone tell me what it was from? Did he sing it during a beastcast? During a Shenmue endurance run episode? It's driving me nuts...

edit: or was that Dan? Shit, I can't remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom