• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends: Leaked Wii-U Trailer

screenshot2012-04-27aqbupq.png

Looks like they are using the dev controller still, notice the look of the cable. It almost looks like it is an AV cable... They are obviously not streaming video wirelessly yet.

Yeah, like was said by others, there is no way this was made for public consumption ala a commercial.

Michan

It's probably been suggested already, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the content in that trailer is just placeholder. It would explain why the people look like Ubi staff, there are no remote jackets, a capture cable coming from the tablet, and a non-Rayman soundtrack. They're likely going to replace the people with hired models, and Nintendo won't announce the final name of the system or provide them with non-dev devices (see the original Raving Rabbids trailer) until they were completely ready, due to leaks like this.

Oppo

That would be great, Origins was an absolute joy on the Vita. I must say I'm not too excited at the prospect of putting an Ezio figurine on my Vita screen though...

They actually could "fake" the NFC stuff on Vita the same way some have experimented on iPad; you put a custom pattern of capacitive dots on the bottom of the figure, and the screen reads the pattern as a specific grouping of "touches" to ID the toy or whatever. Definitely gimmicky but I can see why the publishers would love it. Sell a plastic figure with NFC/ID characteristics in the Special Edition bundle, allows "unlocking" of special content int he game via the physical object, decreases desirability of used copies etc.

I'm not interested either from a gameplay POV, but I can see how the toy makers salivate at the prospect.

El-Suave

The best part of this trailer is when the person that's stuck with the Wiimote enviously glances over to the girl with the Touchpad. No way kids are going to fight over who gets to use what.

Riposte

For my taste, this looks a lot better than the Flash-style graphics of Rayman Origins. Yet it's the Wii U-exclusive features that has me sold. I'm hoping we see this at launch alongside Killer Freaks from Outer Space and Ghost Recon On-line.

I don't know... looking at the environments, flash-style is what comes to mind. Like stacking a bunch of images on top of each other.

Josh7289

I like object recognition feature. I hope that's a general Wii U thing that could be supported by all games on the system.

Generally I think the idea of using physical objects in video games sounds really fun, especially as we move further into a future where our games are all delivered digitally.

GCX

It's probably been suggested already, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the content in that trailer is just placeholder. It would explain why the people look like Ubi staff, there are no remote jackets, a capture cable coming from the tablet, and a non-Rayman soundtrack. They're likely going to replace the people with hired models, and Nintendo won't announce the final name of the system or provide them with non-dev devices (see the original Raving Rabbids trailer) until they were completely ready, due to leaks like this.
This is most probably the way it is. We also have a gaf "source" saying the controller in the trailer isn't the final one.

The game looks better because they are using a lightning engine for the different enviroments. The artsyle is mostly the same, so i dont know what the fuck are people talking about of it looking worse, IMO it looks better with even more action on the screen.

After having played with my cousins Skylanders, and the NFC thing in Rayman being TOTALLY OPTIONAL, I think it looks really fun, its a great idea and is going to sell like gangbusters.
Im betting is going to sell much better than Origins.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
If making little plastic figurines to suck in kids is what they need to get this game (or series) to get the widespread adoption it deserves, I'm all for it. Origins is fantastic.

vall03

woah! that trailer was awesome! But I will still wait for further announcements this year to see which console I will get first this year, Vita or Wii U. Luckily, Im graduating in a few months and hopefully get a job right away. Getting a Wii U with my first paycheck will be delicious!

beje

Banned
Considering Ubisoft's underwhelming support on Wii compared to that on HD twins, having a bunch of ports from them is kind of a positive sign to start with.

I wouldn't sing victory so soon. It looked like the same with 3DS and they were back in less than a year to licensed crap, horrendous PS2 ports and Imagine shovelware.

SparkTR

I like object recognition feature. I hope that's a general Wii U thing that could be supported by all games on the system.

Generally I think the idea of using physical objects in video games sounds really fun, especially as we move further into a future where our games are all delivered digitally.

It depends on how expensive those items are and what they contain. If it's an exclusive level or character that comes with a $15-$20 toy I'll be pissed. If it's just hyper-ludic stuff like power-ups and whatnot, then it's fine. I hope Nintendo has some restrictions for this, because I have a feeling this NFC thing is going to be Nintendo's ticket to victory this gen.

BurntPork

Banned
Luckily.

No matter how powerful the Wii U is, I doubt one minute of footage from one launch game that's also on PS360 could make us determine whether the Wii U is sub /on par / above current gen power. Yet, GAF's analysts would be all over it, dissecting every aspect and screen, looking for conclusions that can't be drawn.

It's probably for the best that only at E3 when we get to see a whole bunch of Wii U games, we might be able to draw definitive conclusions.

People will make up excuses to prove that it's weaker no matter how good the game looks anyway. No matter what is shown at E3, people will talk about how it doesn't look anywhere near as good as GoW4/Gears 3/Uncharted 3/Halo 4.

I wouldn't sing victory so soon. It looked like the same with 3DS and they're back in less than a year to licensed crap, horrendous PS2 ports and Imagine shovelware.

So standard Ubisoft handheld support? Ubisoft has always focused on console with real effort, not handhelds.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was not expecting a Wii U trailer leak this far before E3. I can't watch it on my phone right now but I'll certainly be checking it out once I'm done with work.

jett

D-Member
Awesome, characters are still 2D, they just changed how they are shaded. Not really interested in the Wii-U gimmicks shown.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
There was nothing in that trailer that I didn't love (game and system wise). Okay, maybe the figures too.

It's another 2D platformer, with maybe shmup parts again I don't know, and I'm quite happy with that. The extras look to be just that, extras. Multiplayer in the first place is a "gimmick", but it's a fun extra one beyond my single player enjoyment and I imagine the rest will be as well.

Looks just like what I wanted, more of what Rayman Origins offered with multiplayer. Yet now it offers me a chance to play with someone who may want to, but doesn't want to do platforming or couldn't keep up in the more difficult areas. I love this not-needed-yet-extra-help style of multiplayer and want more of it ever since Tingle with bombs or collecting star bits in Mario Galaxy.

The time trial and race to the finish incentive challenges seem quite fun as well. That I look forward to playing a lot of.

The "scanning" of things worries me. Oh not in this game of course, that seems fine and rabbid. Nay, my worries is what this means and how it'll just help card games, Pokemon, and Skylanders be even more insidious and infectious to children's minds.

This, I was expecting a port of Rayman 2.

Oh I'm sure we will still get that too. It's a tradition to get a port of Rayman 2 on a new system.

Look at the Rabbid section, it's like a 2D version of the original Rayman 4/Raving Rabbids!

That's one way to bring that back, and as a Wii U-exclusive content at that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
People will make up excuses to prove that it's weaker no matter how good the game looks anyway. No matter what is shown at E3, people will talk about how it doesn't look anywhere near as good as GoW4/Gears 3/Uncharted 3/Halo 4.
This conversation shouldn't even be happening. It's 2012. The XBOX360 was released in 2005. It damn well BETTER be at least moderately more powerful.

I know this is Nintendo we're talking about but anything less would be unreasonable.

Awesome, characters are still 2D, they just changed how they are shaded. Not really interested in the Wii-U gimmicks shown.

Same. I'm excited about the game, just not the WiiU version.

If there is a WiiU game that looks anywhere near GOW4, Gears 3, Uncharted 3, or Halo 4, I think you'll see plenty of people acknowledging that. The problem is all the people who won't acknowledge the opposite.

EYEL1NER

This news is getting me pumped but I much preferred the look of Origins.
I'm really not sure how I feel about the looks of this game yet.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
screenshot2012-04-27aqbupq.png

Looks like they are using the dev controller still, notice the look of the cable. It almost looks like it is an AV cable...

A little bit of not-groundbreaking info

The padlet wire is round, and connected to the dev kits through a round port (i'll stay vague :p). It's not USB or akin to USB (square/horizontal port).

I wouldn't sing victory so soon. It looked like the same with 3DS and they were back in less than a year to licensed crap, horrendous PS2 ports and Imagine shovelware.

Yeah, I'm not getting carried away either, and I don't buy anymore Ubisoft's PR statements, but as I was just pointing out Assassins creed, Ghost recon and Rayman alone seem to be pretty top-tier stuff compared to most of their games on Wii, and this may be hopefully a promisingly new good start for them.

A little bit of not-groundbreaking info

The padlet wire is round, and connected to the dev kits through a round port. It's not USB or akin to USB (square/horizontal port).

I'm assuming the cable is used to stream AV in order to display error codes and provide debug capabilities directly to the pad itself. This won't be needed for retail release so the controller can be wireless.

Top Bottom