• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryoflar3

It's significant in that it's more than we thought it would be, and it will obviously help games, however little that may be. And, no, they gain nothing at all by somehow trying to respond to PS4 using these types of methods. Pretty certain these changes are stuff Microsoft are free to make because they designed well enough, but they aren't things they're doing to try and one up Sony. That would be incredibly dumb and pointless.

Cool, thx for the info.

Krakn3Dfx

Nice, the higher the base line the better.

I wonder if Sony ended up increasing their CPU clock.

They probably wouldn't talk about if they did, they don't really need to at this point, though, although it would be cool if Yosh just tweeted "1.9Ghz" and nothing else. Gaf would go insane.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm curious how early/late these decisions were made. I hope for Microsoft's case that they really went through proper testing after doing speed increase for both the CPU and the GPU.

Taking shots, or just point out that they have increased the clock speed?
The PS4 CPU is at 1.6GHz if i'm not mistaken, so it could be a reference to that. But it could be both though, simply pointing out that there is a CPU increase.

Megasoum

Banned
Not sure how this makes any sense. If they're boosting the specs obviously they're confident it won't blow up in their faces like the 360 did.

Or they were super confident in the original spec's reliability but now, after seeing the PR nightmare and the pre-order numbers they might have decided to take a bit more of a risk (even if it's still within safe margins).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So anybody know bow many cores are reserved for the OS for both systems?

2 cores for each. It sounds like that's final for XBO but the PS4 info is kind of old and last I heard they were trying to get it lower but I don't know if they did or not.

SiRatul

Yeah exactly. I don't see how that's a dig at the competition.

Gamers trying to start stuff (again).

That's how (or rather why).

lbYtS8p.jpg

Elios83

The increase in performance out of this is pretty much irrelevant. Around 10 Gigaflops for a system with a cumulative floating point calculation speed of 1400 Gigaflops.
The upgrade on the GPU was bigger news.
The real news is that they're just going now in production while Sony stated at Gamescom their manufacturing plants were already pumping out PS4s at full speed.
That also explains the lack of a release date, people should be prepared to shortages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom