• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

Is Rone good? Danja Zone is kinda one note, also Lotta Zay and Real got the rest.

Rone is.. technical. He can have incredibly dope lines.. but he honestly sounds like a TV stereotype of a nerd who is destined to get shoved into a locker. He's capable of being that image against his opponent.. but.. I can't help but to think he needs a wmd verse.

That Nuborn vs Lotta Zay is gonna be a classic, both genuinely don't like each other and probably have dirt on each other too, plus they've probably been preping bars for each other since Lotta Zay left Nuborn's squad Innuendo. So if they don't have top notch bars for each other I'll be disappointed.

Esch

Banned
Rone is.. technical. He can have incredibly dope lines.. but he honestly sounds like a TV stereotype of a nerd who is destined to get shoved into a locker. He's capable of being that image against his opponent.. but.. I can't help but to think he needs a wmd verse.
Well danja zone isn't exactly king swag though lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Apparently FeelGood (a KOTD rapper) passed away? Haven't checked out any of his stuff, but RIP.

Is Rone good? Danja Zone is kinda one note, also Lotta Zay and Real got the rest.
Rone is the guy who bodied Charles Hamilton at his own concert. He has a good sense of humour that switches between typical hey I'm white stuff to some more darker stuff at times IMO.

That Nuborn vs Lotta Zay is gonna be a classic, both genuinely don't like each other and probably have dirt on each other too, plus they've probably been preping bars for each other since Lotta Zay left Nuborn's squad Innuendo. So if they don't have top notch bars for each other I'll be disappointed.
They're both super hungry too. I want Nuborn to cut out some of the cheese he puts into his rounds though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cortez vs. Automatic Ray. Tez is hungry. He needs to stop being a diva and battle Ah Di Boom though. How can you be complaining about PGs yet taking these no name battles everywhere else?

Joe Budden talks battling with Drect. Says his favourite battles are Lux/Hollow, Lux/Calicoe, JC/Chilla, Verb/Holla and Surf/Big T and talks how Shady is trying to help battling get over the hump.

Charlie Clips reviews Lux/Hollow. LMAO at the intro.

Head Ice vs. T Rex quiet room battle.

Dunno bros, having trouble imagining this without GET THAT N**** REX
This is actually the perfect venue for this battle. It's going to be epic, because I know Rex especially has been waiting for this chance for years. Can't wait.

Finally. The production on this is fantastic too, thank god it's not like how the last World Domination was. The lights, everything, so damn good.

1st round, Diz had the better bars but slipped pretty bad. Honestly at the start I felt this might have been Diz' best performance ever but it fell apart. Enjoyed Diz' round way more but a slip up is a slip up. Pat Stay got the 2nd, too much fucking swag, jesus christ I haven't seen someone swagged on this hard in a long time. Diz' third fnally had personals that were landing but he fucked up again (and pulled out his phone?). Like the first, I think Diz had the better bars but he didn't want to give that round to himself + Pat gave him the grown man bars at the end.

Still think Pat Stay needs to battle outside of Canada/T.Dot to prove himself. It was better than previous KOTD battles but still too many people letting stumbles slide and cheering for weak bars (or some said before bars from Pat). Also 5 minute rounds need to go away forever. Every time KOTD does it, you get a fuckload of filler and stumbles and NOME3 battles test your patience.

Pretty goddam good fuckin day for me

Got hired by Ipsos Reid, found out one of my favourite comics is coming to Vancouver in March, got an email that one of my old professors wants me be an unofficial research assistant for a seminar that he's going to do and bought my tix to the daylyt vs that scrub on Saturday

We eating

mileS

Pat's the hometown dude so I have to back him, but all bias aside, I agree with everything you said. Diz just can't perform without stumbles. I honestly can't remember a battle where he didn't. This worked a little better back in the early Grindtime days, now a days it stands out too much. I remember after his last KOTD battle, during his interview he spit some of the bars he couldn't get out in time (for whatever reason he blamed it on) and they were out of this world, just fucking sick. It really disappointing he can't just focus enough to spit mostly written's. Or remember them for that reason.

Pat had a couple of good battles overseas, but I think the true test for him would be a battle somewhere in the US. Can't see that happening anytime soon though.

Also, good shit Emp. Sounds like a good day

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty goddam good fuckin day for me

Got hired by Ipsos Reid, found out one of my favourite comics is coming to Vancouver in March, got an email that one of my old professors wants me be an unofficial research assistant for a seminar that he's going to do and bought my tix to the daylyt vs that scrub on Saturday

We eating
Damn, Ipsos Reid? Congrats man!

Pretty bad day for me, got another rejection letter from another university, and the one that was my #1 choice at that :/

Pat's the hometown dude so I have to back him, but all bias aside, I agree with everything you said. Diz just can't perform without stumbles. I honestly can't remember a battle where he didn't. This worked a little better back in the early Grindtime days, now a days it stands out too much. I remember after his last KOTD battle, during his interview he spit some of the bars he couldn't get out in time (for whatever reason he blamed it on) and they were out of this world, just fucking sick. It really disappointing he can't just focus enough to spit mostly written's. Or remember them for that reason.

Pat had a couple of good battles overseas, but I think the true test for him would be a battle somewhere in the US. Can't see that happening anytime soon though.

Also, good shit Emp. Sounds like a good day
Yeah. I think he just needs to dial things back a bit and practice more. Diz is one of the greatest to do it but his legacy is pretty spotty. Vs. Rex and Pat Stay he says he's written more than ever before but it just seems like he's not used to memorizing it all yet.

Really wonder what's stopping Pat from battling on URL if they've wanted him bad for years now and he's one of Smack's favourites. Might be a loyalty thing, might be divas running scared or maybe they had conversations at BO4, but I think he would make the transition really well to even NYC and people will respect him as he pretty much owns mindshare in KOTD. Stay vs. Surf, Verb, Rex or even Chilla have classic potential.

It's not even that I want to see people boo mediocre lines necessarily (hurts footage), it's the pressure that comes with it that is what makes those stages different.

EDIT: Found this from January:
@streetstarnorbe Jan 27
I wanna see @patstay on smack url. Im down to make it happen.... who wanna see this?

Tweet this man.

Esch

Banned
You guys wanna watch pat stay vs diz in plug tonight? that shit is an hour long
jEzBqorIukiur.png

mileS

Doesn't Pat have difficulty traveling to some countries due to having a criminal record? Or is that just Hollohan?

I think that's just Hollohan, but who knows at this point. I'm sure Pat has some shit on his record lol. Anyways, Pat managed to make it to Sweden for a couple of events (Basementality League) So I'm pretty sure he could get to the US if he wanted to. Esp if its KOTD, they seem to be getting better at making sure all the border shit is smooth for people to get over and leave.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You guys wanna watch pat stay vs diz in plug tonight? that shit is an hour long
jEzBqorIukiur.png
I'm down.

You guys should try and join the plug room if you get a chance. If y'all don't know what it is, basically it's a room where you can watch YT videos together because it syncs them. We've done a few now for battling and basically you just get in there and just play battles you think are dope or people haven't seen before.

Plug is literally the only reason I'm into battle rap hard body

If it wasn't for that, my favourite dude would be Henry bowers as he's the only one who made me laugh in the 4 videos I watched in the past 5 years

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Battle Rap Arena debates Lux/Hollow. Interesting point brought up here is that Lux came dressed as Huey Newton, who was a heroin junkie. Damn, the lean stuff was already a super weak angle people warned Lux not to do but this takes even more away from it IMO.

I keep forgetting we moved to a new plug channel. When you get a chance you should throw that in the OP.
Yeah, good point. I'm going to do that now.

Pearlito's Way

Neo Member
Battle Rap Arena debates Lux/Hollow. Interesting point brought up here is that Lux came dressed as Huey Newton, who was a heroin junkie. Damn, the lean stuff was already a super weak angle people warned Lux not to do but this takes even more away from it IMO.

Yeah, good point. I'm going to do that now.

I'm confused, wasn't he murdered? Besides, he wasn't dressed as Huey, he was dressed as a Black Panther. The movement was in the building. At least he did correct himself at the end, but he still had it wrong. He wasn't Huey. That point was weak as hell.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm confused, wasn't he murdered? Besides, he wasn't dressed as Huey, he was dressed as a Black Panther. The movement was in the building. At least he did correct himself at the end, but he still had it wrong. He wasn't Huey. That point was weak as hell.
Lux pretty clearly played the leader role (Huey). That much is not hard to understand, as his supporting Panthers were behind him and below the stage in the audience and he was the one kicking knowledge. It's not a big point against it considering the lean angle was only really good for a few punchlines in the first place, but it contributes.

I remember one time I was on Hollohan's facebook and he had a pic of some girl dressed in aryan nation/nazi clothing. She was fine though not gonna lie.

I am the knamelis. I like the battle raps. I judge them lots, including the stay vs diz one that just happened. I even wore my super tacky knamelis jersey, in case you didn't know my name.

I recently got flown to UK to make fun of eurgh in his face. It was really fun and now me and all the brits are bestest friends. except eurgh - he won't talk to me anymore.

I don't really have much to add, other than that I was extremely happy to see my favorite online community talking about the irl community that I am (grudgingly) most involved in.

I probably have funny stories about some of the battle rappers you like. Feel free to ashk me anything.

<3

Esch

Banned
I am the knamelis. I like the battle raps. I judge them lots, including the stay vs diz one that just happened. I even wore my super tacky knamelis jersey, in case you didn't know my name.

I recently got flown to UK to make fun of eurgh in his face. It was really fun and now me and all the brits are bestest friends. except eurgh - he won't talk to me anymore.

I don't really have much to add, other than that I was extremely happy to see my favorite online community talking about the irl community that I am (grudgingly) most involved in.

I probably have funny stories about some of the battle rappers you like. Feel free to ashk me anything.

<3

Sup brah. Welcome. Any stories would be welcome.

mileS

lol thats awesome! Cool to have you here man. been a fan since the WRC days. Real shit.

So many questions on the inside workings/behind the scenes shit on a lot of these battle events. Was Eurgh like, seriously pissed off with what you said? You would think by now they would be used to shit like that, just laugh it off. From what I've been hearing lately it sounds like hes the type to hold a grudge.

Eurgh was pretty sour. Not like - trying to start a fight sour... but pretty sour.

I approached him after the event just to hash shit out and let him know it was a political reaction to his political move (he said 'KOTD can suck my dick' at the event previous to the one I participated in) and that there was no personal animosity.

His response was "We're not cool bruv".

It was a 2 day event, so by the end of the next day he was less sour - we had some laughs and I stood with him during a few battles. The following day we went to the google offices (if you have a certain amount of youtube subs you can film shit there) and filmed this interview style program that they're going to launch soon - and he didn't ask a SINGLE question about the battle. I assumed he was just going to bury the footage.

I still send him messages all the time. In fact - this morning I got into a bit with him on his FB page (rowan faife) about his attitude. He finally responded with a message - but he is still very brief and not really interested in hearing from/talking about anything with me.

THE MORE interesting story from that trip is -

Mickey worthless punching a coked out Loe Pesci around for being an obnoxious dick in the hotel room that Eurgh had put me and Pesci in. Long story short - Pesci kept whining to Mickey about his pillow/bed that Mickey had used - Mickey said 'okay bud. I'm sorry its over. I said sorry leave me alone'. Pesci kept pushing it. Mickey says

"alright - you've got 2 options. Either get in your bed, or we're having a fight"

He said it all polite and super calm. It was awesome. Pesch kept going. Mickey popped him a couple. I filmed it on my phone. Good times.

mileS

bahahhahaha yea it was hard NOT to hear about that "get in the bed or have a fight" story..so fucking hilarious. They talked about it on the Dirtbag Dan show. It was referenced in quite a few battles already too.

Upload that video please. lol

Thats strange about Eurgh.. like first he says that shit about KOTD, and now he can't take anything said back? you brought it on yourself, you'd be stupid not to expect people to say anything back. In my eyes its all love at the end of the day, just some friendly competition. lol "we're not cool bruv" oooh my.

<3

I also see you in GAF channel for Dota sometimes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh snap. I have a few questions.

1) What are your favourite battles ever?
2) How do you write? Battle rappers seem to dance around this question in interviews but I wonder, does it start with building around personals, pulling together dope lines you think of independently, etc. What do you do?
3) What inspired you to battle rap?
4) Some people say battle rappers passing lots of bars around/writing rounds for others happens a lot but is kept on the low. Any validity to this in your experience? You don't have to put anyone specifically on blast.

Thats strange about Eurgh.. like first he says that shit about KOTD, and now he can't take anything said back? you brought it on yourself, you'd be stupid not to expect people to say anything back. In my eyes its all love at the end of the day, just some friendly competition. lol "we're not cool bruv" oooh my.
Eurgh kind of seems like an asshole, especially after the Daylyt thing.

EDIT: Lux says he's going to bring back the Lionz Den this year, will probably stick to cultivating talent like before and smaller venues. I'm 100% okay with every one of these battles being shot in Blackstar, but really, there's so much of these venues for new talent nowadays, I can't see how a new Lionz Den would be any different.

1) What are your favourite battles ever?

The ones I was there for I have a bias towards. Pat vs Hollohan. Diz performance vs Poorich was surreal. twist vs dumbfounded was legendary.

In terms of on the internets - I loved lux in lux vs calicoe. daylyts recent matrix performance was crazy. Tiger Ty is a god.

2) How do you write? Battle rappers seem to dance around this question in interviews but I wonder, does it start with building around personals, pulling together dope lines you think of independently, etc. What do you do?

I need like - a month. 2-3 weeks of just writing down EVERYTHING i think of. im on the bus and see someone smelly and think of something funny and mean? write it down. At a funeral and think of something mean? write it down. it all goes in a big google doc. I start wittling it down, and putting more 'complete' ideas towards the top. Similar ideas start getting lumped together and they'll eventually turn into themed sections. It usually comes together pretty organically. I definitely DONT write start to finish - its more of a frankenstein of 100's of little ideas that I've had over the month leading up. I'll try to memorize as well as possible so that I'm comfortable if I need to adjust things (flips... or like vs twist where I had a hair segment and he wore a hat),

3) What inspired you to battle rap?

Being at parties and impressing attractive ladies in high school. Got into a 'battle' with a fake ID at 17 years old and made it to the finals... never looked back. It made the black kids like me more.

4) Some people say battle rappers passing lots of bars around/writing rounds for others happens a lot but is kept on the low. Any validity to this in your experience? You don't have to put anyone specifically on blast.

So much. But its not like - here is an entire verse or anything. Both with non-rap friends AND rap friends - i'll often watch my opponents vids and riff on them. they'll make funny observations - the more 'rappy' they are the more developed those ideas usually are. I have some non-battle rap, but still rap friends that are my most valuable assets. But between battlers - all the time - just sharing ideas and riffing on the opponents.

And then - this is especially true when battlers travel and I only experienced it when i went to the UK - but all the battlers chill in the hotel and go over material - and there will always be some ideas and adjustments suggested. I gave lines to everyone that was out in UK - just because we were riffing on shit and I thought of another bar in the same structure and yelled it out, or something wasn't hitting and all 5 traveling battlers would brainstorm with something to replace it with. I had lots of ish from them in my battle vs Mark.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
^ thanks for answering questions dude. Twist/Dumbfoundead is one of my favourite battles ever. And I never would have expected there to be Google Docs anywhere in the writing process lol.

JC vs. Danja Zone. BARS. JC in rare form. Early battle of 2014 contender. I want to edge the 2nd to Danja and 3rd to JC but it's way too close all three rounds.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don Demarco for some reason is 10,000% louder than the rest of the audio in this video. Making it REALLY hard to finish.

Daylyt vs Scheme
wtf did I just watch. Daylyt man... goddamn. Someone needs to gif the end of this battle asap.
Hard time finishing JC vs Danja but not that Scheme battle?!

Anyways, been meaning to make these for a while.

ibz7gQganc7YG6.gif

n7ggjK.gif

bad news

I can't go to the event tonight because of this new job forces me to do my school work tonight

Good news

According to twitter, daylyt can't get over the border, so I won't be missing out the battler who is the only reason I'm going

mileS

Daylyt didn't have many problems getting over the border before this. I know the last time he tried to go overseas to a Don't Flop event recently, he was denied and sent to some crazy london dungeon or something. Maybe that shit went on his record and now he has a even harder time getting over. Anyways that sucks to hear.

It probably doesn't help to have a spawn face tat or constantly wear a hat with a AK-47 on it either. but ya know...

Hard time finishing JC vs Danja but not that Scheme battle?!

lol I didn't enjoy it. it was just a big wtf is this moment. JC vs Danja was hard to finish with headphones because don demarco was way louder than the rest of the audio. Shit killed my ears.

anyways great gifs lol

I mean, the obvious stuff that prevents people from getting over is having Felonies but there's been stories of battlers specifically getting denied because they didn't disclose that it was for "work" (qualified as such because they're getting paid to perform I guess?) and others who've been denied when they acknowledged that they're battlers (though I don't recall the specific reason for denial in that case, so I could be mistaken).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Probably doesn't help that Daylyt didn't get into the UK because he said he was going to see his friend to customs and now he's put it out all over the internet in a blog that he lied to them and went to collect a cheque. Would the border even treat you differently if you said you were going to perform or battle? Or would they send the IRS on your ass later?

Canadian border doesn't fuck around in general. Even when coming back into Canada, we get that "random" check because we're brown lol

I need more battles, the Go-Rilla card can't come soon enough.

mileS

UW is really shitting the bed with the "is it or isn't it" going to come to youtube shit for High Stakes. There's about 3 videos of Hollow vs Lux that are 60k views. Normally those videos would be deleted within hours, its like they don't even care anymore or straight up have no idea. Those are all views that could have gone to their channel... If it ever does finally come out officially, the views are going to be lower at this point.

Top Bottom