• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

ec0ec0

Burn-in most frequently manifests itself as an "image" in the screen, but what it actually is are parts of the screen wearing at a different rate than other parts.

So the black parts that are turned "off", wear slower than the parts that are constantly on. The result would be that the main display area would be "burned in", thus seeing demarcation lines along the status bar.

cool

jrcbandit

It's already in the Developer TOS that you're not allowed hide or recolor the ears.

DJi-cHEUQAAQfJ0.jpg:large

WTF, Apple is usually on point with their UI design. This is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE decision, glad I am back to using Android/Galaxy S8. It takes all of one second to realize that utilizing the full screen looks horrible no matter what app/function you are doing on the iPhone X. Should just be a black bar at top for everything, with of course the notification icons/time going up there when on the home screen and non-video/photo apps. It's incredibly distracting for photos/videos the way it is implemented now, and that one app example of the Beatles name scrolling is hilarious, but by Apple's policies it sounds like what they want App developers to do?????

Fliesen

If that space is only reserved for the status bar what's the problem?
Right, I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario where they decide not to use that space for anything else.

I don't think Apple would want part of the screen to be permanently 'ruined' that way.

If they decided to use these top 'ears' for UI purposes at a later point in time, users who owned an iPhone X from day 1 would have a very distinct line where the screen had previously been used to only show the status bar.

Nafai1123

Banned
that is a pretty drastic change for UIkit. and would look like shit in landscape mode..

and again.. landscape?

I don't see why it would look like shit. It would just look like a black bezel in landscape mode, which thus far most people seem to prefer over allowing UI elements in the notch space.

I don't think Apple would want part of the screen to be permanently 'ruined' that way.

If they decided to use these top 'ears' for UI purposes at a later point in time, users who owned an iPhone X from day 1 would have a very distinct line where the screen had previously been used to only show the status bar.

I just don't see how they're going to use that space more effectively than they already are by having the status bar there. Plus, they could use that space to give ambient status info when the screen is off, which would be useful.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Landscape would just put a bar at the top and that area would be just black. It would be fine.

I don't see why it would look like shit. It would just look like a black bezel in landscape mode, which thus far most people seem to prefer over allowing UI elements in the notch space.

so basically permanently assign that area.

which as was just pointed out above, would permanently kill that area from ever being used for anything else as over a very short time it would have a distinctly different appearance than the main area of the screen.

I mean the phone will be 100% usable. Nothing will be lost. Apple gets their distinct look. The reactions are hilarious, and pretty "par for the course" for an apple keynote.

jrcbandit

Landscape would just put a bar at the top and that area would be just black. It would be fine.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with having only a black bar for photos/videos when in landscape mode. The way it is implemented now is very un-Apple like. Part of the photo/video is cut off which is just insane.

borghe

Exactly. Nothing wrong with having only a black bar for photos/videos when in landscape mode. The way it is implemented now is very un-Apple like. Part of the photo/video is cut off which is just insane.

the video is ONLY cutoff if you crop/zoom the video. in which case the cropping is way more egregious of an act than anything with the notch.

a916

Jobs okay'd a ton of stupid, goofy shit. The idea massive black plastic around the screen is Jobs approved but a small notch at the top is too much is just so silly.

Isn't that more a technology limit? I believe he was a proponent of small screens because he said something about thumb reaching the entire screen.

Anyone else think this is how apple should have used the notch?

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

It should look more like a seemless status bar rather than how they're doing it now.

Yeah I figured that was what they would do... I mean that would be the best thing to do... I believe they are really proud of that cutout though.

i think the screen's taller without even having a notch. I'm not a fan of the screen wrapping around the sides as it'll generate glare.

I actually consider the screen of the S8, while very pretty, to be incredibly detrimental to content consumption.

Biggest gripe about the S8... that gentle curve is a highlight headache.

erawsd

I think its pretty clear they intend it to be a branding/style element, much like the camera hump. They even put a little chrome piece around the hump!

Yeah, which might actually be the worst thing in all of this since since it probably means we're stuck with this horrible design for years to come.

Strakt

I dont mind the notch. I think some apps will do cool shit with it. I also don't watch movies on my phone. It will be fine for watching twitch and youtube I think compared to the s8+

which as was just pointed out above, would permanently kill that area from ever being used for anything else as over a very short time it would have a distinctly different appearance than the main area of the screen.

I mean the phone will be 100% usable. Nothing will be lost. Apple gets their distinct look. The reactions are hilarious, and pretty "par for the course" for an apple keynote.

Yes, permanently assign that area is what the person was suggesting. So if they did that, it would work and you'd have no issues with orientation.

Now if they do have plans to use that area, sure that changes things, but then you get into the same issues of orientation where when you switch to landscape, those notches won't be in the same spot so that could be problematic too depending on how they utilize the space.

The suggestion to dedicate that area to a status bar isn't some weird, unreasonable, or impossible usability issue. It's perfectly a reasonable solution.

Vuze

Yeah, which might actually be the worst thing in all of this since since it probably means we're stuck with this horrible design for years to come.
Godspeed to the Apple engineers. May they be the first to hide all sensors and speaker below the screen without compromise. Jony will certainly ditch the notch for good when they get there.

Klotera

They want this to be an iconic look.

True. They want people using an iPhone X to be seen using an iPhone X. More importantly, the people paying $1000+ want to be seen using an iPhone X.

Plays into the exclusivity. iPhone became so popular, it was no longer a "thing" to be seen with one. They would like it to be that way again.

(I still think using it for anything other than status bar is ugly, though.)

Nafai1123

Banned

Versus using that space for...what exactly? The entire issue is that space is not usable in a meaningful way and causes UI issues that Apple seem to be encouraging. Permanent status bar + ambient mode would be more useful imo.

It's not like hating on screen notches is a new concept. People hate the flat tire on the Moto 360 too. They are always due to hardware limitations and have no meaningful purpose.

borghe

Now if they do have plans to use that area, sure that changes things, but then you get into the same issues of orientation where when you switch to landscape, those notches won't be in the same spot so that could be problematic too depending on how they utilize the space.
but switching between landscape and portrait is something iphone developers have had to take into account forever (and especially more so since the 5)

Red

True. They want people using an iPhone X to be seen using an iPhone X. More importantly, the people paying $1000+ want to be seen using an iPhone X.

Plays into the exclusivity. iPhone became so popular, it was no longer a "thing" to be seen with one. They would like it to be that way again.

(I still think using it for anything other than status bar is ugly, though.)
I think the notch is fine, but I am disappointed they are being restrictive about how developers need to work around it. I'm sure they will relax these requirements in a year or two. I also really dislike their stretched full screen solution for media. But then, stretched media is off-putting any way it's implemented.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the video is ONLY cutoff if you crop/zoom the video. in which case the cropping is way more egregious of an act than anything with the notch.

Neither option is good. Full zoom overlaps the notch, and otherwise has bars on all four sides

A simple option to only zoom up to the notch would be better. Yes it would mean the video is slightly to one side but you're watching the video so wouldn't notice, and it would be the most effective use of space

I think people are fixated on that video. Aside from zoomed video, the ears *are* effectively just status bars - they just happen to have different background colours depending on the app in use

It's already in the Developer TOS that you're not allowed hide or recolor the ears.

DJi-cHEUQAAQfJ0.jpg:large

This is from the Human Interface Guidelines which is just a suggestion, not the App Store rules

Remains to be seen what Apple will do, they probably will end up rejecting apps that black the bar out, but at the moment even Apple ignores the HIG if it suites them

robotrock

Banned

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

It should look more like a seemless status bar rather than how they're doing it now.

Yes and I'm fucking shocked they didn't. So stupid. You've got an OLED screen, apple!

They sorta do it here in the music app at least:
DJkN9YZVwAACmpo.jpg:large

both have a 16:9 screen.

The iPhone X has a taller screen and will have a pillar box when displaying 16:9 content.
It will, however, have a larger picture with smaller black bars (on top and bottom) when displaying 2.35:1 cinematic content

To create the narrative that the iPhone X is in any way shape or form WORSE for content consumption than the iPhone 8 is ridiculous.
It offers exactly the same image size for 16:9 video
and it can display a bigger picture when displaying 'widescreen' content.
giphy.gif
I would be so distracted by the camera/sensor sticking out if I was watching a movie full screen on that phone.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Have an MBP with touchbar, it's fucking useless.

I own one of the older MacBooks (13) and having played around with the newer ones for a bit. the loss of function keys kinda irks me. having one button access to media/brightness keys is something I would miss a lot more than I thought I would. but thats just me I dunno how others feel. I am sure you get used to it....I guess?

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Apple's stubbornness is weird. For years they resisted large-screened phones for no reason other than because Jobs didn't like 'em. Then OLED because Samsung made them. Now this stupid notch because they don't want to look like a Galaxy and the removal of touch id because they don't want to put the sensor on the back like Android.

Apple's stubbornness is weird. For years they resisted large-screened phones for no reason other than because Jobs didn't like 'em. Then OLED because Samsung made them. Now this stupid notch because they don't want to look like a Galaxy and the removal of touch id because they don't want to put the sensor on the back like Android.
Agree with some, but touch sensors on the back are awkward and shitty.

Ashhong

I would be so distracted by the camera/sensor sticking out if I was watching a movie full screen on that phone.

I would be more distracted by the fact that entire pieces of the movie are cut off because you're zoomed in like an animal.

Yes and I'm fucking shocked they didn't. So stupid. You've got an OLED screen, apple!

They sorta do it here in the music app at least:
DJkN9YZVwAACmpo.jpg:large

This looks perfect. Hope more apps do this.

mackattk

Whenever I had a phone with a fingerprint sensor on the back it felt completely natural.. well, other than the samsung where the scanner is at the top next to the camera. I had a ZTE Axon 7 for a bit and sensor was right where my finger would normally rest. With the new trend of minimal bezel phones, having the sensor on the back allows minimal bezel while still being able to have the convenience of being able to use your fingerprint for security.

Klotera

They're awkward and shitty where Samsung put them (my wife just stopped bothering with it on her S8+).

Where LG, Huawei, and Google put them, though, is a very natural spot for your finger when picking up a phone.

I would be more distracted by the fact that entire pieces of the movie are cut off because you're zoomed in like an animal.

This looks perfect. Hope more apps do this.

I think it looks great for Apple Music, but UX problems arise for something as simple as a web browser, zoomed content, etc.

Granted, I do like the notch.

mrkgoo

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the notch.

It's kind of stupid in landscape moves and stuff though, so hopefully there's a good solution for those kinds of use cases. i think 80% of the time, it won't actually matter.

reKon

Banned
Whenever I had a phone with a fingerprint sensor on the back it felt completely natural.. well, other than the samsung where the scanner is at the top next to the camera. I had a ZTE Axon 7 for a bit and sensor was right where my finger would normally rest. With the new trend of minimal bezel phones, having the sensor on the back allows minimal bezel while still being able to have the convenience of being able to use your fingerprint for security.

I don't have an S8 or any phone with a rear fingerprint scanner, but I never understand how people say the middle is the most natural. The way I usually hold the phone one handed (I'm right handed) is pinky around the bottom left corner, ringer on left side, and middle on the left side above that. My thumb stays on the middle right side and my index is naturally rested somewhere a long the top right of the the phone. This is close to where the scanner is on the S8...

It feels ackward for me to squeeze my index finger and line it up in the upper middle of the phone.

I'm doing this on an S7 Edge so I don't know how the taller display of the S8 would make a big difference.

Oxn

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

People call Apple geniuses but they couldnt think of something this simple?

Top Bottom