• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

Zereta

Very fun kill. Sweet Business/Psionic Realm/Rally Barricade may be my new favorite role for the encounter.

Ha that's a lot. I hope they make some changes to the next IB so that people are less frustrated with their rewards.

I didn't think it would be possible for me to get the full set on any character so I didn't devote all packages to the same one. Got the cloak, gloves, and chest for Hunter, boots and helm for Titan, and every weapon except for the auto and scout, 16 total packages (edit: all at 300, and some dupes to infuse stuffs). I was actually fairly happy with the haul and a few of the weapons are honestly pretty great.

It's only the prestige and there is an apparent workaround. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TnNRzvP_BU&feature=youtu.be

The Iron Banner weapons have been awesome. The Sidearm is finally one I like using, the SMG is a killer when you manage the recoil and that Pulse Rifle is the bomb.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does anyone feel like helping out with a Newbie Raid tomorrow at 8pm EST? It's the only chance I'll have to run one this week.

border

At what Power Level should I start completing Exotic Quests on my alts, if I want the exotics to drop at the highest possible PL?

DarkJC

Having got to play around with some of my loot from my first raid, I'm really loving this Sins of the Past rocket launcher I got. Ghost Primus Auto Rifle is damn good too, though Origin Story seems to be better for me when doing Crucible as it seems a bit more accurate, while Ghost Primus shoots alot faster. Really like the Fulminator Warlock robes, though the helmet looks abit funky lol.

Also been wanting to know, is there any good Exotics for Stormcaller or even the Void class in Warlocks? Every armor exotic I've gotten so far has all been for Dawnblade, and I don't like Dawnblade very much >_<

Only Stormcaller one I've gotten so far is a helmet that increases your ability recharge rate on arc ability kills. Seems to reward synergizing with ability cooldown mods to keep the lightning flowing.

All I need for platinum is to level my alts, My titan is light level 74, and my Hunter hasn't even progressed through prologue.

Need to pay someone to level alts.

RPG

Only Stormcaller one I've gotten so far is a helmet that increases your ability recharge rate on arc ability kills. Seems to reward synergizing with ability cooldown mods to keep the lightning flowing.
Crown of Tempests. The void version is Nezarec’s Sin.

I keep both in my inventory and use Hard Light as my energy weapon to help the cool down for whichever build is needed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can help. I know I fucked off last time I signed up but I'm free and at home for the next couple of days.

I'd like to help/jump in. I still haven't completed Calus or the dogs (somehow) portions.
Okay cool, if you two can make it, we should actually be good to go without posting signups.

One spot is left and can be filled by a newbie (level 275+)

8:00PM EST Tomorrow, Wed. 10/18

Zereta

Crown of Tempests. The void version is Nezarec’s Sin.

I keep both in my inventory and use Hard Light as my energy weapon to help the cool down for whichever build is needed.

Nazarec's Sin works across subclasses too though so in PvE, for example, if you're just dumping fools with Void weapons, you're gonna be proc-ing Nazarec's Sin on every subclass.

v1perz53

You know, a lot of people complain about Pulse Grenades being too strong and needing to be nerfed (mostly PvP wise), but I actually think Pulse Grenades are fine. Instead, I really wish that other grenades would be buffed to that level. Any other grenade type (aside from a meticulously placed Void Wall) just seems so weak, and with how long nades take to come off CD I wish they were a bit more impactful. Certainly don't want to go back to the days of 1 shot kill sticky nades, but I think making them less useless (especially in PvP). I usually find using Pulse Nades to be very fun and satisfying, and unless its a 4 striker team I don't usually find myself raging when I get killed by them, I usually could have avoided it with better positioning and awareness. They take 3 ticks to kill, so it isn't like there's no way out of them. But so many other grenades are just garbage, don't feel like they warrant the over 1 minute CD at all. And grenades are really fun to use, as long as they have at least SOME impact...

Trakan

Eh. Doesn't mean much in a vacuum. The games population is still ~2M, which is very healthy.

Game's doing fine.

It also sold less than D1. It's a matter of time. Guns aren't as fun to use, abilities are nerfed across the board.

The hardcore will stay but casuals will continue to leave. COD and BF are coming.

border

Pulse grenades aren't even that bad.....they're just easy kills because people are too stubborn to clear the blast radius. They think a couple ticks won't hurt them, but if they already got shot a couple times then they go down pretty fast.

It also sold less than D1. It's a matter of time. Guns aren't as fun to use, abilities are nerfed across the board.

The hardcore will stay but casuals will continue to leave. COD and BF are coming.

I thought this was only physical sales, which is not surprising. Digital is huge these days.

Trakan

I thought this was only physical sales, which is not surprising. Digital is huge these days.

Right, but that's a big drop that I don't see being made up for by digital. Is digital really THAT much bigger than it was just a couple years ago? I've been buying all digital since before D1 even released.

v1perz53

Bah disappointing week loot wise. Got Orpheus Rig which was nice, but otherwise the 6 305 shotguns seem like kind of a waste (especially with 2 of them being Tractor Cannons hah), and the fact that two of my Warlock at 302's powerful engrams were 299 leaving me with a bunch of slots at 304 were a bit of a disappointment. Time to wait until next tuesday!

Still weird to me that my Warlock, the character I play by far the most, is my lowest power level. Though I guess not that weird since except for the 3-4 Powerful Engrams you get per week, nothing you do in this game after like 295 is a power level upgrade.

Deku Tree

Right, but that's a big drop that I don't see being made up for by digital. Is digital really THAT much bigger than it was just a couple years ago? I've been buying all digital since before D1 even released.

GAF insiders who mods say know what they are talking about in that other thread strongly hinted that for D2 digital sales were bigger than physical.

Pulse grenades aren't even that bad.....they're just easy kills because people are too stubborn to clear the blast radius. They think a couple ticks won't hurt them, but if they already got shot a couple times then they go down pretty fast.

My problem with pulse grenades is largely down to the fact Titans run into an area in control toss down two and suicide. I'd be 100% okay with pulse grenades dissipating when their user died. It's a better alternative to just outright nerfing their damage or duration. They keep most of their effectiveness is PvE this way they get nerfed a bit in PvP.

I somehow ended up in the position where all three of my characters need one exotic each and they are all designed for void. Please Xur do some void theme this week and bring Orpheus Rig, Mask of the Quiet One, and Skull of Dire Ahamkara.

Cronnie

On the topic of player counts, got to keep in mind that a fair few people who would've bought it on a console have decided to wait for the PC version instead. So yeah numbers can also be skewed there.

On the topic of player counts, got to keep in mind that a fair few people who would've bought it on a console have decided to wait for the PC version instead. So yeah numbers can also be skewed there.

Sure. Or the experiment didn't go as expected is the other side. I mean a good deal of the repeat business and bringing people to the universe was from the hardcore who provided word of mouth. Definitely feels light with that now and it doesn't seem the millions of folk they thought they lost and could get to come back actually did. Like, it's extremely odd for me that every YouTuber who used to review all the weapons haven't reviewed many of the ones now.

v1perz53

My problem with pulse grenades is largely down to the fact Titans run into an area in control toss down two and suicide. I'd be 100% okay with pulse grenades dissipating when their user died. It's a better alternative to just outright nerfing their damage or duration. They keep most of their effectiveness is PvE this way they get nerfed a bit in PvP.

I somehow ended up in the position where all three of my characters need one exotic each and they are all designed for void. Please Xur do some void theme this week and bring Orpheus Rig, Mask of the Quiet One, and Skull of Dire Ahamkara.

Eh grenades continuing after death is a bit too integral to how they work now to get rid of. The point of any area grenade is zone control. A pulse grenade only lasts 7 seconds, ticks once a second (on drop and expiration, so 8 total ticks), and takes 3 ticks to kill (so just over 2 seconds since the first tick is technically time=0). If a titan drops 2x pulses on a point, you're just supposed to, well, leave that area for 7-9 seconds. If that pulse grenade prevented you from capturing a point, well, that means it did its job, that is what all area effect grenades should do. And honestly, 7 seconds isn't even enough for the point to fully reset if you had almost captured it.

When I was playing IB with my brother last night and saw a stormcaller or striker on the other team, I would call over party chat whenever I had a feeling a pulse toss was coming, and I was right probably 70% of the time. We spread out a bit as we saw them coming, and got the easy kill as they were animation locked throwing the grenade. That "suicide pulse" strategy is super predictable and easily counterable, which is why I don't have an issue with pulse grenades.

I think if more grenades worked like Pulses do, people would learn how to outplay grenades better. It would also dissuade the stupid "stack 4 people and teamshoot" BS since grenades are the easiest counter to that, but they're currently too weak to do it.

Kyne

Like, it's extremely odd for me that every YouTuber who used to review all the weapons haven't reviewed many of the ones now.

there is some dissonance for sure. Recently all of the usual Destiny streamers have only been playing the game for a couple of hours, and then moving on to other hot games like Fortnight and Warframe to fill the rest of their streams.

Bungie gave us less to grind for this time around, so yeah, it was obvious that people would move on quicker vs. Destiny 1.

on the topic of youtubers reviewing weapons.. what's the point of reviewing a specific handcannon if you know all handcannons suck? Need the sandbox team to put in some changes for weapons asap. If their solution to the problem is nerfing autorifles/Mida then I am super done with this game lol.

edit: talking about grenades disappearing when you die.. did I read somewhere that a hunters throwing knife will do exactly that?

Mindlog

Dawnblade needs a reason to exist. Never see anyone running one in a Prism burn because Void has Blink/Devour and Stormcaller has Arc Souls/PULSE GRENADENUKExtraordianry.

At least buff Solar Grenades and bring back Song of Flame. Does it have Song of Flame? I don't know because no one uses Dawnblade. Fix Dawnblade.

EL CUCO

Sure. Or the experiment didn't go as expected is the other side. I mean a good deal of the repeat business and bringing people to the universe was from the hardcore who provided word of mouth. Definitely feels light with that now and it doesn't seem the millions of folk they thought they lost and could get to come back actually did. Like, it's extremely odd for me that every YouTuber who used to review all the weapons haven't reviewed many of the ones now.
Even some lore guys are throwing in the towel
https://youtu.be/1gH1ew9j8ww

Trakan

Dawnblade needs a reason to exist. Never see anyone running one in a Prism burn because Void has Blink/Devour and Stormcaller has Arc Souls/PULSE GRENADENUKExtraordianry.

At least buff Solar Grenades and bring back Song of Flame. Does it have Song of Flame? I don't know because no one uses Dawnblade. Fix Dawnblade.

They took away everything the class had going for it, not even including self res. No extra grenade, no faster cooldowns, no DOT damage, no boss debuffs, no overshields.

No fun.

KillLaCam

Banned
They took away everything the class had going for it, not even including self res. No extra grenade, no faster cooldowns, no DOT damage, no boss debuffs, no overshields.

No fun.

It used to be my favorite class by far. But they've turned it into the worst class in D2

Shiv47

Re: player counts, my own anecdotal view is that the first week or two of D2, the friends list in D2 (99% of my friends' list is Destiny players anyway) was 9-10 pages long of active players. At this point, it is two pages max, and I'm playing at night, when you'd assume most people are playing. A lot of people have dropped the game, or don't play much any longer. Hell, I barely play it any longer. I'll be curious to see how much it picks up when the expansion drops.

I’ve still got to run a prestige nightfall, but after that I’ll be out until the DLC drops. I may pop in to do some easy weekly stuff to try to get to 305 on all characters, but I’m done with the raid and PVP. Too many other games are on the horizon and the raid kind of sucks this go around IMO.

These videos are extremely depressing but it's hard to disagree with any of it while I could add some rather puzzling design choices regarding Destiny 2 on top of it (no need to rehash any of it as I'm already sick of thinking about it and/or discussing it at this point).

Still, I'm excited for the PC version for the added advantages (mostly visual and performance wise) and the M/KB input option.

Interestingly enough, the first, second, and probably most importantly the first major expansion (likely in the Fall 2018) are shaping up to be much more integral concerning Destiny's future and it's direction more than I could have ever thought considering where they came from with vanilla Destiny and ended up in the AoT update in Year 3. It's like a repeat and that's quite shocking.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
D1 has mediocre reviews but the amount of people playing and game being sustainable throughout the years was something .D2 is like the exact opposite. Reviewed greatly out of the gates but population is going down fast. It isn't steadily going down, it's just straight up dropping like flies. It's all up to Bungie though. Youtubers, streamers, the majority of the people who have stuck with D1 through good and bad have spoken.

Even this servitor is like F this, I'm out of here.

tryrtytryr.gif

Cronnie

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, many are certainly unenthused with the way Destiny 2 has launched.

It was just another factor to consider, not a complete explanation for the relatively poor numbers. Just something I brought up as I personally know four or five people who are definitely still getting D2, they'd just rather get it on the PC as that is their preferred platform.

Man you know the meta for this sorry ass PVP is fucked when people are just running around with sidearms and getting rewarded for it.

I way prefer the sidearm thing to constant potshots from across the map. I like the slow and steady scout rifle mentality, but when that's all there is things get real boring real fast.

Mindlog

bahahahahaha

Got a good laugh at 9:40.
"If Bungie correctly put lore in the game then websites such as these containing the cards shouldn't have to be looked at anymore."
Yeah, that sounds nice.

The same thing applies to inventory management and that's a much more pressing issue to me. Been completely dependent on a second screen third party app for years.

Re: player counts, my own anecdotal view is that the first week or two of D2, the friends list in D2 (99% of my friends' list is Destiny players anyway) was 9-10 pages long of active players. At this point, it is two pages max, and I'm playing at night, when you'd assume most people are playing. A lot of people have dropped the game, or don't play much any longer. Hell, I barely play it any longer. I'll be curious to see how much it picks up when the expansion drops.

I've got nobody now. A few were on Iron Banner at the start of last week, but they disappeared by Thursday or so.

v1perz53

Why not just infuse legendary gear to boost the light level?

Because the exotics from the quest come in at higher than your own light level, so they are some of the easiest ways to get your earliest 305 weapons if you wait until you're around 296-298 with mods. That way, you don't have to wait each week for your powerful engrams to possibly be 305 for kinetic/energy, you can just do the quest for those slots.

I've actually deleted and re-made two of my toons just to re-do the exotic quests for easy 305 scout rifles, hand cannons, sidearms and SMGs. Too bad the one for the Tarantula on Io doesn't really follow this rule, I wouldn't mind a guaranteed 305 Fusion.

At what Power Level should I start completing Exotic Quests on my alts, if I want the exotics to drop at the highest possible PL?

I don't know the exact rules, but at 298 the purples from the quest (MIDA mini, Drang) were 300 (blue mod, so infuse to 305) and the exotics were 305. At 296 my Drang was 300 but my MIDA mini was 299 on the same toon, so I think there's some random element to it.

I way prefer the sidearm thing to constant potshots from across the map. I like the slow and steady scout rifle mentality, but when that's all there is things get real boring real fast.
I’m with you, I think the Last Hope spam is just a symptom of how crummy this meta is right now. This game is in DESPERATE need of a high skill ceiling “shut up” gun. Something that allows you to play aggressively instead of just hanging back and team shooting.

You mean like in D1 with The Wormwood?
Wouldn’t know, I stopped playing a couple of months after TTK released, but you’d think they learn considering it was a problem in the last expansion before the release of this.

Fjordson

How long are raid groups taking these days? Not like uber-elite ones, but just a regular group.

As a longtime MMO raider I really want to give it a shot, but I haven't been able to set aside the time yet.

Man you know the meta for this sorry ass PVP is fucked when people are just running around with sidearms and getting rewarded for it.

Hey man don't knock my side arms. I'm a very aggressive in your face fps player and I've found side arms to be the only weapon in the game that caters towards my play style. This is what happens when you take shot guns away from me.

I'm so irate that I played Iron Banner every night, turned in two or three packages each night, and didn't complete the armor set (and I play Titan only). No helmet or pants. Duplicates of two other pieces, and dupes of most of the weapons.

Top Bottom