• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Info from Game Informer

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Was reading through the new GI magazine and their story on AC Unity and it added some things I didn't know, so I figured a recap thread might be good. Mods, lock if not allowed.

• Been in development since 2010. After Brotherhood a team broke off and started on Unity.
  • Skill leveling is in, and you can choose to drop points in stealth, combat, or navigation. You could potentially make a tank who is awesome at fighting, or a better stealth player.
  • You can now customize your legs, boots, forearms, chest, hood, and mask. And the armor/clothing has attributes like a hood that makes you blend faster in crowds and a belt that allows you to hold more items.
  • Co-op missions can be done solo as well and have multiple difficulties. You can also explore the whole world in co-op
  • They realized that with the multiplayer in the last games they were essentially making two separate games, and they didn't want to do that. They noted that people buy the game for the campaign and the added-on multiplayer wasn't the same experience, so they went back to the drawing board to get co-op in.
  • They are using a similar technique as Watch Dogs for co-op, in your game you are always Arno, and everyone else looks like other brotherhood members, but in their game they are Arno and you look like a brotherhood member (like how you are always Aiden in Watch Dogs).
  • NO MORE AUTO-FAIL MISSIONS! The missions now adapt to what happens when you play and don't follow any script. There will be changes and consequences for how you handle missions, but no longer will you get desynchronized for being spotted.
  • You use the new rapid descend ability from buildings by hitting RT + B. Haystacks still exist, but they found you don't use them near as often now.
  • The interiors really open up the game. You can run into a building to hide from guards, but there may be guards inside too. You can also use interiors for assassinations, hiding in windows, etc.
  • You really notice the new 1:1 scale for buildings, and the amount of buildings on the streets seems higher than any of the other games.
  • Stealth mode softens your footsteps, but you still move rapidly. Great for sneaking up on guards.
  • New cover system makes hiding easier and you can now peek.
  • Guards no longer automatically know where you are at all times once alerted, they will now search your last known location which makes it easier to get away and even flank them.
  • Combat is now harder. You may be able to beat 2-3 guys but 5 is too many. You have to pay attention to what weapons enemies have now. "For the first time, we have boss fights that are about parrying at the right time, making sure you dodge, and not spamming the attack button."
  • The NPC groups now react to each other. Thugs may attack you on sight, but guards/police won't unless provoked. Police may go after thugs, which means you can lure thugs to police and watch the police go after them.
  • They are starting a "new cycle" with the present day stuff. "You are the protagonist ultimately." You will understand in the first 20 minutes of the game where they are going with it. It's "cool" and "very, very surprising."
  • There can be up to 30,000 people in a crowd.

There is a lot of good info in the article, go check it out in the new Game Informer.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Is it just me? but I don't feel slightly hyped for AC games now days. I feel like they just come and go. They really shouldn't do a yearly release of an open world games. Gets boring real soon. This one does look good based on the impression and all the info released so far, but still. I am not feeling it.

Toa TAK

Banned
  • They realized that with the multiplayer in the last games they were essentially making two separate games, and they didn't want to do that. They noted that people buy the game for the campaign and the added-on multiplayer wasn't the same experience, so they went back to the drawing board to get co-op in.
Duh!

The last bit about the "new cycle" for the modern day story is intriguing. More first person like ACIV? Character creator? Very interested.

DNAbro

Is it just me? but I don't feel slightly hyped for AC games now days. I feel like they just come and go. They really shouldn't do a yearly release of an open world games. Gets boring real soon. This one does look good based on the impression and all the info released so far, but still. I am not feeling it.

They haven't stopped selling so expect more until the sales drop. (They won't)

Also 30000 in a crowd? That's crazy and unbelievable.

Amir0x

Banned
NO MORE AUTO-FAIL MISSIONS! The missions now adapt to what happens when you play and don't follow any script. There will be changes and consequences for how you handle missions, but no longer will you get desynchronized for being spotted.

I am going to remain skeptical until I see how this is executed. it SOUNDs good, but in my experience everything in the Assassin's Creed games tend to sound good before you play it and realize all the caveats there are

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The lack of auto-fail missions is what I am looking forward to most, this is the bane of AC games:

'Warning: Decrease distance to target'

'Desynchronised, you allowed your target to escape'

I loved the ships in AC4 but I am glad they are not just running that theme into the ground, I want another big city AC game. There hasn't been one since Brotherhood.

fC3KCTi.gif

Denton

It seems like the seminew director is overhauling the game design a lot and for the better, I hope they actually manage to achieve what they want. The old AC game design was getting boring as hell.

poodpick

Looks like they borrowed a lot from the newer splinter cell games. Could make for some good stealth gameplay this time around

SirNinja

The missions now adapt to what happens when you play and don't follow any script. There will be changes and consequences for how you handle missions, but no longer will you get desynchronized for being spotted.

This has me interested above everything else. Wonder how exactly this will be handled.

Very excited for Unity. (Wish I could be for Rogue - surely there will be a PC version sometime down the road?)

sn00zer

Harder combat?...I might actually be interested in an Assassins Creed game since the first...what...what is this feeling? They are putting stealth in Assassins Creed and you can actually DIE while fighting multiple people?1...oh...oh my

KingJolly

Banned
Rouge might have a better premise, but I am sure Unity will be a far better game to play in the end. This all sounds amazing, lets get this hype train running

Vidpixel

They certainly know how to make this game sound really, really good. Hopefully, the final game can truly deliver on all these concepts, as I'm liking everything I'm hearing about this one so far.

I have very little faith Ubi to pull this off, but if they do this might get me excited for the series again. Also, I'm done with ship battle so I'm glad that's its own thing now.

Neper

Neo Member
So excited for Unity. I didn't even bother with AC IV, and I'm just not interested in Rogue, but ACU really seems to be pushing the franchise a step forward.

Gator86

Was reading through the new GI magazine and their story on AC Unity and it added some things I didn't know, so I figured a recap thread might be good. Mods, lock if not allowed.

• Skill leveling is in, and you can choose to drop points in stealth, combat, or navigation. You could potentially make a tank who is awesome at fighting, or a better stealth player.
  • You can now customize your legs, boots, forearms, chest, hood, and mask. And the armor/clothing has attributes like a hood that makes you blend faster in crowds and a belt that allows you to hold more items.
  • Co-op missions can be done solo as well and have multiple difficulties. You can also explore the whole world in co-op
  • They are using a similar technique as Watch Dogs for co-op, in your game you are always Arno, and everyone else looks like other brotherhood members, but in their game they are Arno and you look like a brotherhood member (like how you are always Aiden in Watch Dogs).
  • NO MORE AUTO-FAIL MISSIONS! The missions now adapt to what happens when you play and don't follow any script. There will be changes and consequences for how you handle missions, but no longer will you get desynchronized for being spotted.
  • You use the new rapid descend ability from buildings by hitting RT + B. Haystacks still exist, but they found you don't use them near as often now.
  • The interiors really open up the game. You can run into a building to hide from guards, but there may be guards inside too. You can also use interiors for assassinations, hiding in windows, etc.
  • You really notice the new 1:1 scale for buildings, and the amount of buildings on the streets seems higher than any of the other games.
  • Stealth mode softens your footsteps, but you still move rapidly. Great for sneaking up on guards.
  • New cover system makes hiding easier and you can now peek.
  • Guards no longer automatically know where you are at all times once alerted, they will now search your last known location which makes it easier to get away and even flank them.
  • Combat is now harder. You may be able to beat 2-3 guys but 5 is too many. You have to pay attention to what weapons enemies have now. "For the first time, we have boss fights that are about parrying at the right time, making sure you dodge, and not spamming the attack button."
  • The NPC groups now react to each other. Thugs may attack you on sight, but guards/police won't unless provoked. Police may go after thugs, which means you can lure thugs to police and watch the police go after them.
  • They are starting a "new cycle" with the present day stuff. "You are the protagonist ultimately." You will understand in the first 20 minutes of the game where they are going with it. It's "cool" and "very, very surprising."
  • There can be up to 30,000 people in a crowd.

There is a lot of good info in the article, go check it out in the new Game Informer.

This makes me hype as fuck when I think about Black Flag with all this stuff. But then I think about the French Revolution and my eyes immediately glaze over from boredom. Hopefully, it turns out good. It seems like they have a real grasp on what needing improving.

sjay1994

Rouge might have a better premise, but I am sure Unity will be a far better game to play in the end.

Rouge has a better premise, but gameplay wise it seems like a minor expansion to black flag. They are adding new stuff to naval, but doesn't seem like anything is being added for on foot stuff.

But unity is the one with the gameplay revamp, so thats the one I am more excited for, even though I love the sailing AC introduced and is easily the best gameplay the series has ever had.

AHA-Lambda

They are starting a "new cycle" with the present day stuff. "You are the protagonist ultimately." You will understand in the first 20 minutes of the game where they are going with it. It's "cool" and "very, very surprising."

Wasn't this already revealed?
the modern day segment is that you are playing an Abstergo Entertainment game?

And no that's not cool, it's dumb as fuck. Just like the idea of you being a game developer in AC4 was. Bloody obvious they have no idea what to do with the modern stuff after AC3 broke it beyond repair.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This makes me hype as fuck when I think about Black Flag with all this stuff. But then I think about the French Revolution and my eyes immediately glaze over from boredom. Hopefully, it turns out good. It seems like they have a real grasp on what needing improving.

Why? That was one of the bloodiest and most eventful periods in history and is filled with memorable historical figures, it is an absolutely perfect setting for an AC game.

Dead

well not really...yet
Full costume customization, stealth mode, no more fail state, thus sounds like the best AC ever. Hype.

Why? That was one of the bloodiest and most eventful periods in history and is filled with memorable historical figures, it is an absolutely perfect setting for an AC game.

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure Ubi will probably make it boring, but the setting is probably the best there is.

Alienous

Keep doing it right, Ubi.

AC: Unity
The Crew
Far Cry 4
Heck, perhaps even AC: Rogue (I'd day one if it was on PC)

This fall I think you're getting all of my money.

sjay1994

Keep doing it right, Ubi.

AC: Unity
The Crew
Far Cry 4
Heck, perhaps even AC: Rogue (I'd day one if it was on PC)

This fall I think you're getting all of my money.

I'm a bit worried I am going to get worn down by the UBISOFT game formula, as I did feel a bit tired after playing watch dogs.

But fuck it Paris and elephants this fall for me.

Markitron

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure Ubi will probably make it boring, but the setting is probably the best there is.

Yea tbh they completely wasted the American Revolution setting, I never really felt a part of those events in the way I assumed I would. The Renaissance setting was used to perfect effect, lets hope it's more like that.

yeah i remember when they were talking up the new improved combat of Assassin's Creed III

lolololol

Combat is easily the weakest part of the AC formula, It's barely changed since AC1 and it was pretty weak in 2007 aswell. Tbh at this point I would be fine if they just stole the Arkham series' combat.

MOG728

This is the first AC that I've been pumped for since ACII. I've played all of them since but it seems like each of them have gotten away from what I loved in ACII. I'm glad this one is focusing on a European urban landscape and not the ship combat or competitive multiplayer.

I liked the ship combat in AC4, but I feel like I spent 70% of the game on the ship and trying to upgrade it rather than being an assassin and traversing exciting locales.

AC3 was just overall disappointing with Connor as a character, and the open landscape of the wilderness just sucked to me.

New Tech
Urban Landscape
Focus on the core Assassin's Creed mechanics
Great time period

4 reasons to be pumped

sjay1994

Huh, OP didn't mention it but it is worth noting that Arno is not an ancestor of Desmond.

I honestly have no idea where the modern day is going any more with these games. AC3 kinda killed it for me, and AC4 made me question WTF is going on anymore.

But I have kinda accepted the fact that I play these games for the stuff going on in the past, but it is bugging me a bit.

Top Bottom