• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Originally Posted by DriftingSpirit

I've never played a Star Ocean game. Where does this one rank in the series?

It's not the best but it sure is hella fun, probably the most fun Star Ocean game for me.
wol93
(10-18-2017, 03:43 PM)

I think it's a bad idea starting with this
Try 1 and 2 instead
squall211
(10-18-2017, 03:44 PM)
Looking forward to it. Despite it's many, MANY flaws, the gameplay is absolutely fantastic.
Dantero
(10-18-2017, 03:44 PM)
If this is playable at 1440p/144fps I might just get this.
Assuming I can convince myself that suffering through Edge Maverick is worth it a second time.
Dragner
(10-18-2017, 03:46 PM)
This game played good but had godawful cast and the dub was one of the worst I remember. Not thrilled of playing this again...
Eylos
Banned
(10-18-2017, 03:46 PM)
Kay, i played only 1 and 2 i think they are great, If I have to choose between 3,4 and 5 which one is better?
Hideki Kamiya
Banned
(10-18-2017, 03:47 PM)
>digital only
fucking dropped
RPGCrazied
(10-18-2017, 03:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Hideki Kamiya

>digital only
fucking dropped

Right? Star Ocean 5 must have really bombed if they can't provide a disc.
-NeoTB1-

Originally Posted by Eylos

Kay, i played only 1 and 2 i think they are great, If I have to choose between 3,4 and 5 which one is better?

In that order. 3 > 4 > 5. But that's just me.
khaaan

Originally Posted by wol93

Try 1 and 2 instead

Aren't they on the more difficult side to come across though? Unless you can read Japanese your options of getting them seem to be limited. I managed to find a copy of First Departure a few years ago but Star Ocean 2 seems to be all over the place in price.
Luminaire
(10-18-2017, 03:49 PM)
Maybe now Iíll finish it.

People complain about Lymle when Faize is the real garbage.
t26
(10-18-2017, 03:49 PM)

Originally Posted by RPGCrazied

No disc no buy. If Namco can give us a .hack disc of its games, no excuse SE can't.

.hack is a collection. LRG would love to work with SE, but SE hasn't show any interest.
wol93
(10-18-2017, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by khaaan

Aren't they on the more difficult side to come across though? Unless you can read Japanese your options of getting them seem to be limited. I managed to find a copy of First Departure a few years ago but Star Ocean 2 seems to be all over the place in price.

Aren't they available on psn store ?
Lime
This is actually the first tri-ace game to hit the PC, right?
Elginer

Originally Posted by Hours Left

In 4kay.

Bravo for this lol
Luminaire
(10-18-2017, 03:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Lime

This is actually the first tri-ace game to hit the PC, right?

Technically FF13-2 and Lightning Returns.
ZoddGutts
(10-18-2017, 03:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Marcel

It ranks poorly, like every game after SO2.

Man I would love a full on remake of SO2, not sure if SE would fund it though. Porting SO4 is cheaper obviously.
blackjon24
(10-18-2017, 03:52 PM)

Heres is the definitive list in order of best to worst in the series

Star ocean 2
Star ocean 3
Star ocean 1
Star ocean last hope
Integrity and faithlessness

On a side note did people really ask for these ports over tri aces much better series Valkyrie profile? really?
khaaan

Aren't they available on psn store ?

Not on NA PSN. Pretty sure they're up on JP, not sure about EU.
Banned
I gave up on SO4 within three hours and SO5 within 10 I think? I guess this series isn't for me. A shame, since that battle system and settings are cool. The battles did get repetitive though.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(10-18-2017, 03:53 PM)
Shameless self-quote:

Originally Posted by JaseC

Star Ocean [Steam Store] page is up.

Lutherian
(10-18-2017, 03:54 PM)

I'd suggest you start with Star Ocean: The Second Story. The PSP version fixes a lots of things, changed the voice actors casting and added tons of voiced dialogues. It did some weird changes too, like removing "Earthquake" magic from the last boss to another one witch is still as deadly as "Earthquake".

Finally, the PSP version doesn't come with the awesome "We form in crystals" theme that runs during the final CG cinematic when the credits roll, and used a very, very bad J-Pop song instead. Bleah !

At least, you can still hear the original music in the Sound test once you complete the game.

For me, SO 2 is the best in the series, way better than 3, 4 and even 1 with the atrocious cave dungeon (do you remember the Moria ruins in Tales of Phantasia ? It's worse).
wol93

Originally Posted by Luminaire

Technically FF13-2 and Lightning Returns.

FF13-2 was a tri ace game? O.o
KainXVIII
SO4 also uses Denuvo (personally don't care, but someone does!)
ffvorax
(10-18-2017, 03:56 PM)
Never again even if free... really can't understand why of this remaster...
Marcel
(10-18-2017, 03:56 PM)

Originally Posted by KainXVIII

SO4 also uses Denuvo (personally don't care, but someone does!)

This game doesn't even need Denuvo. The DRM keeping me from playing SO4 on PC is having played SO4 when it originally released.
DriftingSpirit
(10-18-2017, 03:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Marcel

It ranks poorly, like every game after SO2.

Originally Posted by ULTROS!

It's not the best but it sure is hella fun, probably the most fun Star Ocean game for me.

Try 1 and 2 instead

Originally Posted by blackjon24

Heres is the definitive list in order of best to worst in the series

Star ocean 2
Star ocean 3
Star ocean 1
Star ocean last hope
Integrity and faithlessness

On a side note did people really ask for these ports over tri aces much better series Valkyrie profile? really?

Originally Posted by Lutherian

I'd suggest you start with Star Ocean: The Second Story. The PSP version fixes a lots of things, changed the voice actors casting and added tons of voiced dialogues. It did some weird changes too, like removing "Earthquake" magic from the last boss to another one witch is still as deadly as "Earthquake".

Finally, the PSP version doesn't come with the awesome "We form in crystals" theme that runs during the final CG cinematic when the credits roll, and used a very, very bad J-Pop song instead. Bleah !

At least, you can still hear the original music in the Sound test once you complete the game.

For me, SO 2 is the best in the series, way better than 3, 4 and even 1 with the atrocious cave dungeon (do you remember the Moria ruins in Tales of Phantasia ? It's worse).

Thank you all for your answers!
papersleeves
(10-18-2017, 03:59 PM)
OH YEAH.

It's going to be my 5th playthrough (galaxy, universe, chaos on 360, galaxy on ps3).

It's a shame they are basing this off the PS3 version though. The 360 version was the better one imo (skills balance, items placement, graphics, etc).

The only thing I enjoyed more from the PS3 version was the anime portraits, but then you had the ugly menus so I kept using the original theme anyway.
NinjaCoachZ
(10-18-2017, 04:00 PM)

FF13-2 was a tri ace game? O.o

It wasn't entirely them but they helped work on those games.
InfiniteNine
Rolling Girl
(10-18-2017, 04:00 PM)
Honestly the price is right so I'll grab it. It'll nice actually have bullshot quality on PC.
Tizoc
(10-18-2017, 04:02 PM)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/60...l_HD_Remaster/

Launch discooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Nimmermehr
(10-18-2017, 04:02 PM)
Damn it! I recently bought the original game on eBay for more than that.
Definitely a great price for this game.
Lime
(10-18-2017, 04:03 PM)

Originally Posted by ffvorax

Never again even if free... really can't understand why of this remaster...

tri-ace is out of work is my guess.
sublimit
If I doubt a Kotaku rumor, it's probably true
(10-18-2017, 04:03 PM)
I want to try this but no physical no buy.
InfiniteNine
Rolling Girl
(10-18-2017, 04:05 PM)
I do hope they consider releasing 3 on PC sometime soon since that's my favorite title.
BasilZero
(10-18-2017, 04:06 PM)
I still haven't payed the PS3 ver

Which is now super low priority for me to play in my backlog now lol

I will get the pc ver in the future
Lagamorph
(10-18-2017, 04:07 PM)
I can't see a price on the Steam page or mobile app.

How much is it?
Aeana
(10-18-2017, 04:09 PM)
If you ask people why they think SO4 is bad, they'll usually say something like "the English VA" or "the characters (Lymle)." The International version has Japanese VA, so that should help a fair bit.

The game itself is quite good. Really fun combat, item creation is decent (better than SO3's at least, fight me), and the variety of locations is unparalleled in the series. It's the only Star Ocean game where you actually go planet hopping, which is pretty cool.

Originally Posted by Lagamorph

I can't see a price on the Steam page or mobile app.

How much is it?

Look in the thread title.
NinjaCoachZ
(10-18-2017, 04:11 PM)
Matt Mercer has come a long way since this game.
Lagamorph
(10-18-2017, 04:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Aeana

Meant to end that with "in the EU/UK"
lordmrw
(10-18-2017, 04:14 PM)
For some weird ass reason I still have this on 360 even though i don't own the system anymore. Maybe I'll double dip on the PC version seeing as I never got around to it.
MrChocolate
(10-18-2017, 04:14 PM)

If you ask people why they think SO4 is bad, they'll usually say something like "the English VA" or "the characters (Lymle)." The International version has Japanese VA, so that should help a fair bit.

The game itself is quite good. Really fun combat, item creation is decent (better than SO3's at least, fight me), and the variety of locations is unparalleled in the series. It's the only Star Ocean game where you actually go planet hopping, which is pretty cool.

Truer words have never been spoken.

My only gripe, was that I arrived the final dungeon and the final boss, and I was obliterated so hard... that I realized I was very underleveled, and since you can't go back to grind, I felt it was a huge design flaw.
Stead Fast
Banned
(10-18-2017, 04:15 PM)
I haven't got all that much good to say about SO4 outside of combat and some character and location design, but it's good to see steps are still being taken to bring this out for any fan who enjoyed it. Weirdly it's been an active couple of years for Star Ocean fans, between this & 3s release, as well as 5.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(10-18-2017, 04:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Lagamorph

Meant to end that with "in the EU/UK"

Approximately £15.50/€20, assuming Valve's recommended prices are used.
UpDownLeftRight
Banned
(10-18-2017, 04:22 PM)

I bought 4 and did enjoy the systems but honestly felt the world design was bland and that story was all kinds of bad. Seraphic Gate though, that's where Tri Ace games shine to me. I'd only played 4 and Infinite Undiscovery so I was kinda used to the main story being subpar but the post game a bit better.

SO5 though. I figured you planet hopped in all of them so that was instantly disappointing. But there's like nothing redeemable in that game. It makes SO4 look significantly more appealling in hindsight. I tried it again a few nights ago. I can't force myself past a certain shitty boss fight
Jolkien
(10-18-2017, 04:22 PM)
I'll revisit it (I don't quite get the amount of vitriol this game gets) and it'd be nice if we would get Star Ocean 2 as well like japan. As fas as I'm concerned Star Ocean 5 is the terrible one.
Infernostew
(10-18-2017, 04:24 PM)

It's my least favorite in the series. I expect it to be most people's either least favorite or 2nd least favorite (after 5).
Cell_Biology
(10-18-2017, 04:29 PM)

SO4 isn't as bad as people say it is. But is anyone defending SO5? I was so hyped for it... only to be disappointed.
Ricker
(10-18-2017, 04:33 PM)
Not going to buy it again but I had fun with it,bad voice acting for a few characters aside(they where not all bad)...

20 bucks is a good price also,kay.
Irishonion
(10-18-2017, 04:35 PM)
Want to play again.