• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Fret

iPads are used almost everywhere across a very wide range of businesses and professions as I've experienced. Not sure where you are getting this idea.

I'm thinking more along the lines of actual video editing, photo editing, etc on the device, which it can do, but not well compared to actual desktop programs

It's running a closed ecosystem, has no ports for external monitors or SD card slots, etc, and costs more than a Surface Pro 3, when it has half the ram and is far less powerful

It's running ios9, so its literally just a bigger iPad

Absolutely useless in the professional world

and also the normal world

I think that depends on what part of the professional world you're talking about. Having Excel and Word/Power Point open at the same time is usually good enough for me.

Oxn

So you were just taking a cheap pot shot? Ok.

You tell me, since you are the one convinced that it will be a tool for hipsters. Especially since you saw something on Wacom's site ("It's all there") that apparently answers this question.

I dont even know what your point is.

So tell me, why would any REAL artist choose a Ipad Pro over the Cintiq you showed me?

sarcastor

Please tell me nonetheless, so that I know exactly what you mean.

it runs full windows programs like painter and photoshop.

Wacom is severely overpriced, much like Ipads, but unlike Apple, they have no competitors. Cause they're *that* good.

Guess Who

Banned
Video editing on iPad is waaaay behind desktop machines but photography and music production are very possible in iOS, even moreso with iOS 9. I'm honestly surprised Apple hasn't put out a version of Logic for iOS yet, it'd be a standout app to demonstrate this thing.

webkatt

It uses windows, the last ipad just works, is fast and easier to hold on. Granted I only use it to consume media and is perfect for that.

3.iCloud-it-just-works.png

WillyFive

I'm thinking more along the lines of actual video editing, photo editing, etc on the device, which it can do, but not well compared to actual desktop programs

It's running a closed ecosystem, has no ports for external monitors or SD card slots, etc, and costs more than a Surface Pro 3, when it has half the ram and is far less powerful

That's certainly what Apple is trying to cultivate, at least. The photo and video apps on iOS are rather very well developed and capable; but way below the standards for doing serious editing. That doesn't mean it can't change, though; the iPad has been a huge help with all kinds of production, from working as a teleprompter and even as a mobile control switch.

As for the closed ecosystem, I don't think that will be a big problem. Film cameras by themselves have tons of different formats that the editor needs to juggle to get it all communicating; using iTunes to get stuff out of it is not that big a deterrent, and one doesn't even have to use it since many programs now offer cloud support.

Fret

I think that depends on what part of the professional world you're talking about. Having Excel and Word/Power Point open at the same time is usually good enough for me.

From the promotional images and keynote they seem to be targeting the "artists" and creative types

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
You already linked me to the page. Its all there.

I'm a pro, I need a tablet to draw on that has long battery life and a pressure senstive pen.

Cintiq Companion 2 has 3 hour battery life, loud as fuck when running Photoshop or Zbrush, is expensive, has power supply issues, gets really and its huge.

Being to run photoshop doesn't make you a pro. I actually used sketchbook Pro on a note 10 for while while commuting. I would sketch out my ideas, upload to google drive, finish it up at work.

I'm still waiting for Surface Pro 4, if the Pen is better than the surface pro 3 I'm picking that up instead.

It all depends on what you need it for. I wouldn't run Nuke or Maya on a surface Pro either.

How does multitasking work? Is it similar to tablet mode in windows 10? As in, can I have a drawing app, a browser, and Skype open at the same time on the same screen?

I'd imagine the small RAM is going to kill this thing when it comes to any multitasking.

How does multitasking work? Is it similar to tablet mode in windows 10? As in, can I have a drawing app, a browser, and Skype open at the same time on the same screen?

I'd imagine the small RAM is going to kill this thing when it comes to any multitasking.

I think you can have two apps open side-by-side.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Who's supplying the pen + digitizer? Since it has a battery it's obviously not Wacom. Would be pretty funny if it's N-trig (i.e. Microsoft).

I don't think it's using either since iPad Pro doesn't appear to have a cursor being controlled by the pen like Wacom/N-Trig. I think it's just making a mark wherever it senses the pen is, but it's doesn't have a hovering cursor since iOS doesn't use a cursor.

I wanted to be excited about this because it would spark competition against the Surface Pro series, but seriously, wtf? What's even "pro" about this? It's a bigger version of what we already have with the option of a stylus that seems to be no different or better than the SP3 stylus (And even laggier, if the demo is anything to go off of) and a horribly generic cover/keyboard stand hybrid.

Seriously, as someone who's preordering a 6S the second it's available, what the fuck are you doing Apple?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Your post was condescending—as are most statements about what "real artists" do and use—, and that rustled my jimmies. So I wanted to see if there was any substance to it, or if you just wanted to land a cheap shot. I see that it was the latter.

So tell me, why would any REAL artist choose a Ipad Pro over the Cintiq you showed me?

As already written, just from the things we know, it is lighter, has a longer battery life, has fan-less operation (which is one thing that really sucks on the Cintiq companion), a higher display resolution, and likely a better display in general. And since Adobe has at least been on stage and Apple is running the device with a "professional applications" pitch, it will be interesting to see which applications with which feature sets the device will have, or how well it will work as a companion device to a desktop setup.

You can have two apps side by side or one app taking up a third of the screen. You can also use picture and picture video over all of this.

Here's a decent video of it - http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/12/ios-9-ipad-multitasking-feature/

Your post was condescending—as are most statements about what "real artists" do and use—, and that rustled my jimmies. So I wanted to see if there was any substance to it, or if you just wanted to land a cheap shot. I see that it was the latter.

As already written, just from the things we know, it is lighter, has a longer battery life, has fan-less operation (which is one thing that really sucks on the Cintiq companion), a higher display resolution, and likely a better display in general. And since Adobe has at least been on stage and Apple is running the device with a "professional applications" pitch, it will be interesting to see which applications with which feature sets the device will have, or how well it will work as a companion device to a desktop setup.

Until we know that, say, a full version of Photoshop or other desktop programs I don't see how this can replace the functionality of a cintiq. As you said as it stands it basically is just a companion device.

Fret

I'm not saying this device will be perfect for everyone but I can certainly see it having it's place in both the professional and normal world.

Sure, I'm just comparing its use compared to the many other tablets out there, which are far more powerful and useful for less money

strata8

Wasn't mentioned in the OP, but the iPad Pro weighs 710g for those interested. In comparison iPad Air is 470g and the Surface Pro 3 800g.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

I have a CIntiq 22hd at home. I need a portable digital sketchbook, the Cintiq Companion is not this.

Too bulky, and the battery dies too quickly. The Surface Pro 3 was soooooo close but the n-trig is not for me. If the sp4 specs are good enough I might ignore the pen and pick it up.

Luigiv

Can it play Dark Souls? No? Ok, I'm still getting a Surface Pro 4 next month.

How do you guys think not having a mouse input option will effect the iPad pro

It will probably make using it in "laptop" mode more cumbersome that it should be. It's probably the device's biggest misgiving.

ShowDog

Compared to the SP3 the iPad Pro has a larger and higher resolution screen, it's 25% thinner, and it weighs a bit less. So while it's at least as expensive and obviously not as capable as the x86 tablet that can handle desktop replacement duties, they aren't exactly equal in every other way.

Wish it had it. Having it in laptop mode with the keyboard and a mouse with have been nice. Hell they could have even sold an add on for the mouse if they really wanted to be greedy.

I use a mouse with my SP3 quite often, actually, but often when I don't "need" it. For example, I'm sitting on my couch right now with my SP3 in my lap and I'm using the mouse on the couch surface. Use it a lot lying in bed, too.

Not required but definitely nice to have. Maybe not a requirement given how iOS apps are designed for touch, anyway. Can't imagine using Photoshop, Premiere Pro, etc. without a mouse.

Fret

Isn't the iPad Air 2 already faster than the Surface 3? As for the Pro it's probably a bit early to claim a winner power wise.

Even if the iPad Pro turns out to be twice as fast as the competing tablets out there, its next to useless compared to them. Sure, it will be a good device and "just work", but the industry they're trying to chase I think has better standards than iOS

diaspora

Why in the remotest regions of hell would anyone even desire to use iOS for doing anything other than Tumblr/Facebook/iOS games?

strata8

Isn't the iPad Air 2 already faster than the Surface 3? As for the Pro it's probably a bit early to claim a winner power wise.

Compared to the SP3 the iPad Pro has a larger and higher resolution screen, it's 25% thinner, and it weighs a bit less. So while it's at least as expensive and obviously not as capable as the x86 tablet that can handle desktop replacement duties, they aren't exactly equal in every other way.

Though the Surface Pro 3 is more than a year old by this point and uses a processor from 2 years ago. The real comparison will be the SP4 in 1-2 months.

Why in the remotest regions of hell would anyone even desire to use iOS for doing anything other than Tumblr/Facebook/iOS games?

From what I've read in this thread most people want a simple digital sketchbook without the hassle of desktop stuff (drivers, crashes, etc.) at a cost for all the vast functionality of windows. I don't quite understand it because the loss of functionality (file editing, full desktop apps, etc) is far too great for me considering the surface pro and iPad pro are priced so similarly but that's just my perspective. I guess if you aren't pressed for money and want a nice luxury companion device to do drawings on the go I could understand.

IIRC on iOS9, If you swipe on the keyboard with 2 fingers, the keyboard turns into a trackpad and you can move a cursor around. I think this feature is also available on the iPhones but I might be wrong.

VoxPop

Probably will pick this up with a Keyboard + Pencil. I currently use an Intuos5 at home and a Cintiq at work. Would be great to take this on my trip to Europe/Asia at the end of the year. Would be great to just prop this baby up in the apartments instead of lugging around my MacBook + Intuos. Probably won't be needing to do anything intensive and would love the ability to just draw on the go. Still debating on if the jump to 128GB is necessary. I've never come close to topping the 32GB on my old iPad or the 64GB on my iPhone. I wonder how big the apps will be with the extra screen real estate. Hoping for a quick jailbreak :D

Hatty

Would be an instant buy if it had USB C
Still may do it if I can sell my Air 2 for $450 or so
I will need 128gb version with my 36GB of comics and all

No band 12 on the iPad Pro for some inexplicable reason. So all you T-Moers might want to think before you use this digital ink.

Dead

well not really...yet
Honestly I'll probably buy one.

My Surface Pro 3 is too loud, gets too hot, and is basically unusable unless I'm doing very light work on it or using it for presentations for work and clients. I don't really use much of the real desktop shit on it either.

Will probably trade it in and get a 128GB model w/ Stylus and Keyboard Cover

Top Bottom