• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 8, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Boke1879

Really can't wait for this. The only thing I hate about my new job is that my hours fluctuate. So it's been really hard to watch all my shows live like I used to and I love live tweeting it.

ZeroCDR

Last season had me rolling my eyes several times, apart from the premiere which was excellent.. but then that belonged at the end of season 6.

And then the gore got nerfed wholesale in the 2nd half after people complained about the season opener. When the show had awful writing, it usually had the gore to fall back on. Now, awful writing and maybe a semi-graphic zombie kill here and there. Nothing had any punch to it.. and that hilariously edited shootout at the end of last season with a cg tiger attack that showed absolutely nothing. I felt bad for Greg Nicotero, he's being wasted now.

I’ll check out the first few episodes and see if anything improves, but I’m very close to jumping ship.

LowParry

I’ll check out the first few episodes and see if anything improves, but I’m very close to jumping ship.

I'm kind of that way myself though we're going all out war this time so it may get good. Otherwise, we'll probably see a lot of questionable tactics.

Fat4all

Banned
I dropped off of the show mid way through season 5.

I'm currently marathoning the series on Netflix to try and get myself back up to speed.

I'm on season 3.

Grisby

I forgot about the garbage people lol.
No joke: Fear got REALLY good. Like, better than TWD Season 7 good. (Not like its that hard to do, but still.)
Seriously. I dropped Fear after Season 1, but my dad and brother had been watching and they really enjoyed the latest season. Saying it topped TWD Season 7 by a large margin. I might actually go back and watch it
Huh, I should get back to it myself. Didn't really dislike season 1 but I just couldn't keep up with it at the time.

I think there is a bit of exaggeration and misremembering going on.

I'll be as honest and objective as possible but last season wasn't as bad as some of you are making it sound. It certainly wasn't nearly as good as it could have been so I think that's what is sticking in people's craw. And I agree with that.

I would have given the season a B overall. B- if I want to be harsh. Y'all make it sound like a D. It definitely didn't capitalize on all the things it had but now that we're in the payoff stretch I hope they go ham.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I'll be as honest and objective as possible but last season wasn't as bad as some of you are making it sound. It certainly wasn't nearly as good as it could have been so I think that's what is sticking in people's craw. And I agree with that.

I would have given the season a B overall. B- if I want to be harsh. Y'all make it sound like a D. It definitely didn't capitalize on all the things it had but now that we're in the payoff stretch I hope they go ham.

There's no "misremembering" going on. I thought the season was a massive disappointment as it aired.

There's no "misremembering" going on. I thought the season was a massive disappointment as it aired.

I feel like if you thought it was a massive disappointment then you must have hated most of the show as a whole...aside from some moments per season.

No, Season 7 was a marked decline. Season 6 was the best season of the entire show IMO

I agree that it was a decline and it wasn't THAT good but it also wasn't awful/terrible/show on life support in terms of quality/etc...

It had its moments but was an overall misstep considering all they had to work worth. That's how I'd say it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Also I hope the garbage people are somehow written off the show within the first 10 minutes.
Pretty trash lady leader is a series reg ugh.

It was easily a D. They did not use their time wisely last season.

I'm actually optimistic about this season and I'm not sure why considering how bad season 7 was.
Poor pacing, a cutback on the gore in the second half, actually making Negan less intimidating of a villain, the utter ridiculousness that is Jadis and the garbage people, completely blatant “plot armor” (ie Rick and Michonne pushing through the horde on the highway), that horrible finale, etc, etc

Season 7 was such a mixed bag for me. It started off really well, and gradually just turned into (what I consider) filler. Then it started picking back up again. I understand that they wanted to build this tension, within this world. They wanted us to see how Rick would eventually cave and give the saviors what they wanted. They wanted us to see the different groups some more, and build the story between all of them coming togather. A lot of that stuff was really well done. They let it linger for too long though.

It Definitely was a D.

Damn 8 years of WD, Gotta wonder how much more they can do since the comics are still going.
Anyways, as long as this handsome son of a bitch (and dat beard) is still kicking, I'll still watch.
817c9fe1dc6746360bd41a5635545d2f--tattoo-twd-memes.jpg

Fat4all

Banned
Is there an easy way to watch early episodes of Talking Dead?

When I started marathoning the show, I had the urge to watch a few episodes of TD, but I can't find them anywhere.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like if you thought it was a massive disappointment then you must have hated most of the show as a whole...aside from some moments per season.

Nope. I enjoyed the show a good amount, despite down periods, for five seasons.

I thought season 6 was mediocre, with a number of questionable decisions from the fake deaths to the insulting finale cliffhanger.

But I thought season 7 ended up being worse. The premiere was basically ruined by the previous cliffhanger and it reeked of, "Well, we screwed up. Now we need to kill two people."

After that, the show just went nowhere for so long.

Poor pacing and too many stretches where we don't see important characters. Such as not having Maggie for like three episodes after what happened in the premiere, which is poor dramatic writing, in my opinion.

Along with multiple moments that honestly reached, "So bad, it's funny," levels. Examples: the trash people scenes, the fake Thanksgiving dinner, most of the Tara solo episode and the unquestionably bad CG deer scene. And let's not forget the awful final battle in the finale that was filmed so poorly, there were people who who actually thought for a moment that Rosita shot Tara for some reason.

And I'll be honest, for as much as I understand that someone important needed to die in the premiere, I don't think the TV show was in a place where they could lose two of the most likable characters. I think their deaths deeply impacted the show going forward and their lack of presence hurt it. I cared about Glenn and Abe. If you're going to kill off characters like that, you need to make sure that other characters can pick up the slack and I don't think they managed to do that.

You can seriously watch about 3 episodes last season and you wouldn't miss a beat.

Wonder how much the war will be stretched out this year.

NKnight7

Neo Member
Last season would probably be a D for me too, C- at best. If there's one thing I hope they improve on this season, it's the pacing.

I really don't enjoy anything with the Dumpkins, so I hope they're not going to be a large focus.

Does anyone know what the bonus scene that AMC has been advertising in 7x16 is, and when it happens?

bitbydeath

Has anyone checked if the Netflix version of last season have a lot more swearing included or did that never happen?

Liljagare

Hope it picks up, too much snorefest in the last few seasons.

Fear the walking dead has just gotten better and better as a comparison imho.

barit

Still have to wait till Monday but I´m ready. Let´s bring it on. Hope it gets a little better now. Season 7 (except the first episode ofc) was a letdown. I think the last great season was season 5 for me.

Top Bottom