• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

giga

tti7SdL.png

F6efpdm.gif

Release Date: 9/19/17 (10AM Pacific)

What's new:

- apple
- wikipedia
- macrumors

iPad highlights: https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/how-to/

c2sruuV.png

HYjxhAR.png

U7hLJsN.png

yOJCwSH.png

Tb1IgD8.png

Coming soon:

hBEkYfa.png

Developer highlights: https://developer.apple.com/ios/

hKJQnXI.png

4kocv43.png

Compatibility:

wwo6DyW.png

Got it all installed. Runs sluggish on my 6 plus. I need to do a full reset of it at some point to see if that fixes it. Runs beautifully on my 1st gen iPad Pro. It's a real game changer for that device.

Fliesen

I hope my iPad Air doesnt get too slow on iOS11

bless file browser and proper multitaskning.

your iPad Air (1?) won't do "proper multitasking". It didn't do split screen before and it won't do with iOS 11.

However, something that i really appreciate is the fact that, while previously, doing the 'slide over' thing to get to the watch app to set a sleep timer while watching a youtube video - the video would stop.
Now it's like: Swipe up, Swipe up -> 'control center' -> hold the timer button, set a timer for 15 minutes -> tap the youtube app again.
The video never stops playing.
That's neat.

I used the betas on my iPad Air - it runs ... fine i guess, but it's not incredibly responsive as it once was.
Will do a fresh install for the full release.

CodeNfX

Got it all installed. Runs sluggish on my 6 plus. I need to do a full reset of it at some point to see if that fixes it. Runs beautifully on my 1st gen iPad Pro. It's a real game changer for that device.

Glad to hear it runs great on iPad Pro 1st gen. Can't wait to give it a spin.

Ryu1999

Was it an OTA update? I can't seem to find links to download the ipsw...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Going to update my Air 2 asap, but I'm going to wait a bit on the 6S because of the battery drain and glitches being reported on the GM thread. Might wait for 1.1 if too many people say the same things.

maven

I recently picked up a 10.5 iPad pro. My last iPad was the OG, which has been a paperweight for a while.

Looking forward to playing around with the new features. Should really give the iPad a lift.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Been running the newest on all my devices since last week. Ive been happy with it.

I sat out on all the developer betas this time. Waited for GM.

emag

The GM (and betas) ran unacceptably poorly on my iPad Mini 2. I'd wait for a point release or at least some positive feedback before installing 11 on Air/Mini 2/Mini 3/5s/6/6+/iPod Touch (all 1 GB RAM devices). The new dock on iPad is great, though, and I like that control center is customizable.

Was it an OTA update? I can't seem to find links to download the ipsw...

The public release is today (Tuesday). The gold master was released to beta participants last week.

Fliesen

The GM (and betas) ran unacceptably poorly on my iPad Mini 2. I'd wait for a point release or at least some positive feedback before installing 11 on Air/Mini 2/Mini 3/5s/6/6+ (1 GB RAM devices). The new dock on iPad is great, though, and I like that control center is customizable.

The public release is today (Tuesday). The gold master was released to beta participants last week.

Using the beta on an iPad Air (1), performance is perfectly okay, though the swipe up gesture does experience a bit of lag.
The new and unified 'mission control' like control center is well worth the update though.

TheZink

Going to update my Air 2 asap, but I'm going to wait a bit on the 6S because of the battery drain and glitches being reported on the GM thread. Might wait for 1.1 if too many people say the same things.
I’ve had it on my 6s plus for about a month. It’s been great. The last beta was perfect. No issues at all. On my iPad Air 2 I’ve had more issues than the iPhone.

Mr Swine

Banned
Heard there are a few features missing in the old iPad Pro 12.9" on iOS 11 that are present in the new iPad Pro 12.9"

Is that true?

I assume this is where the planned obsolescence kicks in for the iPad Air 1. Hoping I'll be okay with my iPad Air 2 and its 2gb of RAM.

NekoFever

I've had it on my iPhone 6 since the GM came out and it's been broadly similar to iOS 10, performance-wise. The only niggle I have is that the share sheet takes longer to pop up (3 seconds maybe). But I'm happy with it in general.

Awesome. But too afraid to update. History has made me completely paranoid about big updates. I'll probably have to buy a new one after the update.

yeah never mind. Not downloading any OS update ever again.

nin1000

Banned
I want go get an ipad, but still unsure if i should go ipad (2017) or 9.7 pro model.
Will only use it for university (in economics).
Does anyone have the 2017 and tested IOS11 on it ? Would love to hear some impressions. Since i am unsure if i should drop the +200€ on a pro model.

Updated to the beta on my iPhone 6S that I've had for just under two years and it's running significantly worse. Apps take longer to loads, it occasionally freezes and has even fully crashed a few times. It also refuses to recognise that I'm listening to music or podcasts half of the time, meaning I can't pause from the lock screen or control centre. Really not impressed although appreciate it's still in beta.

Probably going to upgrade soon anyway, but this is starting to force my hand.

Vuze

I want go get an ipad, but still unsure if i should go ipad (2017) or 9.7 pro model.
Will only use it for university (in economics).
Does anyone have the 2017 and tested IOS11 on it ? Would love to hear some impressions. Since i am unsure if i should drop the +200€ on a pro model.
I’ve been on the beta ever since it launched with my 2017 iPad and it’s been fine performance wise, obviously ran into some glitches. I’ll restore it and update to the stable release when the iOS 11 ipsw is available. You should go for a pro if you want it to replace your laptop in Uni. The Pencil is great for taking notes and you get to have that nice Smart Keyboard. If you just want to use it for viewing slides and taking written notes,it’s perfectly fine.

Can’t wait. Mostly excited for watchOS4 that’ll require 11. My 5S will probably be terrible to use with the new bold header design on the small screen but that’ll be somebody else’s problem come Friday anyway 😉

Link

The Autumn Wind
Gonna risk installing this on my 6 later. If it tanks the performance, I'm planning to get the X anyway.

I have 11.0 GM. I have a backup from 10.3.3. How can I do a clean install of new iOS? Do I use factory reset or some other feature? Should I format the phone before or after installing the final build?

I will be updating after work today. Both my iPad Pro and my iPhone 7. Also watch os4.0 is today right? I want those heart rate monitor features.

Fliesen

How's performance for the SE? I'm too paranoid to update at the moment...

Wonder what this will do to my 6s

6S and SE should be perfectly fine. There's even reports in this very thread that the regular iPhone 6 handles iOS 11 fine.
(see WaffleTaco's post)

I will be updating after work today. Both my iPad Pro and my iPhone 7. Also watch os4.0 is today right? I want those heart rate monitor features.
this
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/XglATUV.png[/IMG]
is pretty much the only interesting feature to me :)

Nightfall

I'm using iOS 11 on my 6S since the beta and right now I'm on the GM. And while it has improved since the early betas it's still total crap. Most apps freeze quite frequently (even those which already got an iOS 11 update) and it's just not very stable. Battery life and overall performance is fine though.
Volume controls via headphones randomly stop working, the overlay when changing ringtone volume via volume buttons on the homescreen also randomly disappears and some other annoyances.

Yes I already did a complete clean install with the GM

iOS 10 was way better when it came out.

edit: also removing the 3D touch app switcher is the worst fuckin decision ever. It just makes no sense at all.

DavidDesu

In the other iOS 11 thread I complained about how the slide over feature has been removed and how crap and needless that was. The old slide over functionality would still have worked with the new way of using this dock, as swiping from the right of the screen now does nothing at all.

Also, since they’ve removed the pull down menu from the side app feature I’m struggling to see how I can do a split view with an app from the home screen... seems like the only way you can do that now is if the app is in your dock,so if it’s just a one off thing with an app you don’t always use it’s now a bit of a faff to get to do what you want to do. I don’t know how Apple could have messed up a feature I use so much.

Also, my last complaint for now, I’m finding it incredibly unresponsive when trying to move my apps around when I’m on split view or using an app on top. I put my finger on the little bar at the top of the app and then nothing happens UNTIL I slide my finger somewhere and there’s a delay in that and often it doesn’t work at all. It’s very poor all round really and you’re not quite sure what’s happening.

Dinskugga

your iPad Air (1?) won't do "proper multitasking". It didn't do split screen before and it won't do with iOS 11.

However, something that i really appreciate is the fact that, while previously, doing the 'slide over' thing to get to the watch app to set a sleep timer while watching a youtube video - the video would stop.
Now it's like: Swipe up, Swipe up -> 'control center' -> hold the timer button, set a timer for 15 minutes -> tap the youtube app again.
The video never stops playing.
That's neat.

I used the betas on my iPad Air - it runs ... fine i guess, but it's not incredibly responsive as it once was.
Will do a fresh install for the full release.

Damn. Must have read it wrong. Thought Apple had fixed proper multi for us on Air1. Damn it. Time to upgrade

Fliesen

Damn. Must have read it wrong. Thought Apple had fixed proper multi for us on Air1. Damn it. Time to upgrade

yeah, it's better than before, but sadly not at the level that iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4 and above get. (side-by-side multitasking)

Then again, my girlfriend NEVER uses any of those features on her Mini 4.

I'd just love for the youtube app to use the PiP API. Being able to browse gaf, while having a youtube video running ... a man can dream.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anybody having issues with headphone play buttons not restarting music in any app right after pausing it? It takes at least ten presses to get the music to play again. The first press either does nothing or activates Siri. Very frustrating.

Top Bottom