• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
nice boxart for the switch version :eek:

21728119_1924911894192151_7255702058201615713_n.png

Using the superior boxart too.

If they can put Doom on a Switch cart than there is something super fishy about it taking up 100GB on other platforms.

They literally asked nintendo for Vulkan support on switch and nintendo put it in, heck they probably asked nintendo for the switch to have other certain bits to make their games run easier on the system.
This alongside dropping the texture resolutions is probably more than enough for doom.
I might be completely wrong but ultra high res textures would take up most of that space i would of thought.

Now it's time for ninty fans to experience some of the best godamn shooters this gen, and in the case of doom, some of the best godamn game ost music in recent memory.

Both are and just fucking great. Happy for those who never played these to experience them for the first time.

Both games are huge space wise, better get saving for those high capacity ad cards, 😎

molnizzle

MTC100

Banned
Wow, I didn't expect a Doom port, let alone Wolfenstein 2. Though, I REAAAALLY doubt they'll be able to compress the full game into a cartridge. Doom and Wolfenstein are like 20-50 gigs on the PS4.

They are 80GB on PC. I don't have a clue as of why though. I think they will have to reduce the game drastically or build it from a new, who knows...

I haven't seen anything justifying the 80GB though, this game shouldn't be bigger than 20GB.

Pif

Banned
Also: long ass loadings incoming.

The sheer ammount of compression to put this into a 32GB card is gonna cost us some good loading times.

MTC100

Banned
Also: long ass loadings incoming.

The sheer ammount of compression to put this into a 32GB card is gonna cost us some good loading times.

I don't know how Doom manages to get to insane 80GB on my HDD but I guess most of it is high res uncompressed textures. The Switch will be fine with medium quality ones, it's not like they need to put the ultra high textures on the cart if the system can't handle them anyway.

OmegaDL50

That would be crazy, but I don't think that Bethesda would let them work in something they don't own.

These sorts of business deals exist all the time. Like the one between Capcom and Namco that led to the development of Project X Zone and Street Fighter X Tekken.

Bethesda could have wanted to work on Metroid Prime and in return Nintendo wanted some 3rd party titles in exchange. To have such support unlike any other Western dev in this capacity seems outside the norm.

As a Switch owner I'm all for it though.

They are 80GB on PC. I don't have a clue as of why though. I think they will have to reduce the game drastically or build it from a new, who knows...

I haven't seen anything justifying the 80GB though, this game shouldn't be bigger than 20GB.

It's all the fucking Multiplayer.

I loved DOOM one of the best games ever as far as I'm concerned. Depends on a lot of factors but I dunno if I'll be double dipping, it's great to see it on the system however and that Bethesda are putting their money where there mouth is.

But yeah cannot recommend this high enough, fast, frenetic, gory, brutal, gratifying, amazing gameplay and music all round.

Pif

Banned
I don't know how Doom manages to get to insane 80GB on my HDD but I guess most of it is high res uncompressed textures. The Switch will be fine with medium quality ones, it's not like they need to put the ultra high textures on the cart if the system can't handle them anyway.
Still just at medium texture quality the game could very well be over 40Gb.

I expect a lot of corner cutting, but I'll be damned if I don't buy freaking portable doom.

They literally asked nintendo for Vulkan support on switch and nintendo put it in, heck they probably asked nintendo for the switch to have other certain bits to make their games run easier on the system.
This alongside dropping the texture resolutions is probably more than enough for doom.
I might be completely wrong but ultra high res textures would take up most of that space i would of thought.

Why would Vulcan support reduce the file size? Also them reducing textures isn't going to make 40 GB disappear. A portion of this will definitely have to be downloaded.

Zomba13

This completely shook me. I did not see it coming AT ALL. While I won't be getting them I hope these do well. Obviously they will look worse than the other systems but hey, at least "low" settings for PC can be used for something :D

Plus I doubt looks will matter much when you can play a full, proper, big, fun shooter wherever you go. And I hope these do well so more publishers think about Switch versions of their multiplatform games.

Neiteio

This completely shook me. I did not see it coming AT ALL. While I won't be getting them I hope these do well. Obviously they will look worse than the other systems but hey, at least "low" settings for PC can be used for something :D

Plus I doubt looks will matter much when you can play a full, proper, big, fun shooter wherever you go. And I hope these do well so more publishers think about Switch versions of their multiplatform games.
DOOM is a gorgeous game on my PS4, but the appeal is gameplay first and foremost. I hope they hit 60 fps.

Hey id, if you're reading this:

Put Doom 64 in this somehow. Replace the classic levels with Doom 64 levels, make it a post game unlockable, whatever. Whatever Midway legal issues exist, figure it out.

Why would Vulcan support reduce the file size? Also them reducing textures isn't going to make 40 GB disappear. A portion of this will definitely have to be downloaded.

No idea why it would reduce the file size but i'm guessing that they might have asked nintendo for specific details in the switch hardware to help their games run easier, and given the switch was released after ps4/xbox they might have found a way for them to save a little space.
Also aren't people are blowing the file size out of proportion, i thought it was around 40GB in total on the ps4/xbox, 90gb is the pc size isn't it? and most of that is surely super high res textures.

YES YES YASSSSSSSSS

Holy fuck I wanted Doom on the Switch so badly and people said I was nuts and that it would never happen. So fucking happy!

Astral Dog

No idea why it would reduce the file size but i'm guessing that they might have asked nintendo for specific details in the switch hardware for their games to run, and given the switch was released after ps4/xbox they might have found a way for them to save a little space.
People are blowing the file size out of proportion, i thought it was around 40GB in total on the ps4/xbox, 90gb is the pc size isn't it, and most of that is surely super high res textures.
Its 70 with multi

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I cannot believe this. All that would make it perfect is if it’s a physical release. Is it a physical release? (I’m still sad Sonic Mania doesn’t come on a cart.)

Top Bottom