• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

weird, the trailer says oculus as well, but on the product description only states vive.

I can't say whether it'll natively support the Oculus SDK/API, or be available on the Oculus store, but there's no such thing as only having Vive support for a game that uses SteamVR. The worst that can happen is less than ideal button mapping or offsets for the Touch controllers. I mean, H3VR is the same with only listing support for the Vive, but I know the dev has implemented Touch specific controller models, and adjusted control schemes to better suit the Rift owners.

Others have already brought up Eleven, but there's also Racket Fury which should be hitting tomorrow for a slightly different flavor of ping pong. Obviously haven't played it yet, but it looks to have high production values.

weird, the trailer says oculus as well, but on the product description only states vive.

I can't say whether it'll natively support the Oculus SDK/API, or be available on the Oculus store, but there's no such thing as only having Vive support for a game that uses SteamVR. The worst that can happen is less than ideal button mapping or offsets for the Touch controllers. I mean, H3VR is the same with only listing support for the Vive, but I know the dev has implemented Touch specific controller models, and adjusted control schemes to better suit the Rift owners.

But the only way to actually purchase it is through Steam's DRM storefront, right? There's no way to do it through the Oculus Store?

Zalusithix

But the only way to actually purchase it is through Steam's DRM storefront, right? There's no way to do it through the Oculus Store?

I have no idea whether it'll show up on the Oculus Store. No clue what DRM has to do with anything though. I mean, if you're concerned about DRM on Steam, I'd suggest looking up Oculus' history with DRM...

low-G

person from 2017: motion controllers are the greatest innovation ever
person from 2012: fuck you
person from 2007: no seriously

I for one will say I always thought they'd eventually be awesome. Just... the Wii & PS3's motion controls blew. Barely even senses acceleration, (of course) let alone location.

I thought Wii Sports' (non-Resort) popularity was a crime against humanity... by humanity.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

It may come to Oculus Store after a while. Some games come to a platform before the other.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Looking for some advice as this price seems very attractive.

I currently have PSVR but I am principally a PC gamer with decent i7 6700 Titanxp rig. Does this offer any worthwhile benefits for an upgrade? I am assuming there are way more games and cheaper versions of PSVR games?

Is there any exclusivity between this and Vive for games, i.e. am I going to miss out on much?

Any help appreciated.

This offers more games and often at the cheaper price too. they are rather great contents, cheaper and mostly uncompromised due to room scale, better tracking etc.

Oculus has got exclusive titles on Oculus Store, but its easy for Vive owners to play them with a hack, just not as well due to lack of finger tracking. On the other hand Vive published games are not exclusive.

Basically you are missing nothing.

ElyrionX

So, after one week of ownership, I am a little underwhelmed by Rift. Only two games so far, Robo Recall and The Climb. RR was fun but gets repetitive fast. The Climb I've only just started but feels way too repetitive as well.

And setting the device up the first time wasn't easy. Technical issues aside, I tried setting up the sensors in the experimental room scale setup that I read about here but kept getting errors (too far apart) only to find out later on here that you can just ignore the error and move on in the setup. And I don't have the space to leave my sensors permanently set up and not putting them back exactly where you set them up initally messes up your play area and how the games read your position.

Overall, it's been a very tedious experience. The games are fun but reptitive and the Oculus software is extremely buggy. There are so many small niggling things that bring the whole experience down.

Still got to try a few more games like Super Hot and Lone Echo and Mage's Tale though. We'll see.

So, after one week of ownership, I am a little underwhelmed by Rift. Only two games so far, Robo Recall and The Climb. RR was fun but gets repetitive fast. The Climb I've only just started but feels way too repetitive as well.

And setting the device up the first time wasn't easy. Technical issues aside, I tried setting up the sensors in the experimental room scale setup that I read about here but kept getting errors (too far apart) only to find out later on here that you can just ignore the error and move on in the setup. And I don't have the space to leave my sensors permanently set up and not putting them back exactly where you set them up initally messes up your play area and how the games read your position.

Overall, it's been a very tedious experience. The games are fun but reptitive and the Oculus software is extremely buggy. There are so many small niggling things that bring the whole experience down.

Still got to try a few more games like Super Hot and Lone Echo and Mage's Tale though. We'll see.

From everything ive heard Lone Echo is the showcase for it right now. If youre into space stuff i would recommend Adr1ft as well.

exemp30

I only played the first level of roborecall but I got to admit I felt like a total badass when I had to pull out the shotgun the first time lol, but sadly I just don't have the room right now to have the Oculus setup all the time so I have to pack it away but if all goes well I should be moving to a bigger place soon I can't wait.

The Dude

I dunno, i just sort of never grasp these sort of posts because while I understand everyone is different... How can my experience or others who are really enjoying it he so vastly, and I mean vastly... Different?

Like buggy, I haven't had one single issue... It's the easiest turn on and go process ever.

The idea isn't that there is going to be instantly the type of software normal gaming has at the moment but there is still a shit load to do.

Super hot, Wilson's heart, mages tale, chronos, lone echo, infinite mini golf, sports room, I mean that's not even scraping the surface.. Just I dunno, I'm not being a dick I just don't quite grasp those types of posts where someone sounds absolutely miserable compared to myself and others.

ElyrionX

I dunno, i just sort of never grasp these sort of posts because while I understand everyone is different... How can my experience or others who are really enjoying it he so vastly, and I mean vastly... Different?

Like buggy, I haven't had one single issue... It's the easiest turn on and go process ever.

The idea isn't that there is going to be instantly the type of software normal gaming has at the moment but there is still a shit load to do.

Super hot, Wilson's heart, mages tale, chronos, lone echo, infinite mini golf, sports room, I mean that's not even scraping the surface.. Just I dunno, I'm not being a dick I just don't quite grasp those types of posts where someone sounds absolutely miserable compared to myself and others.

Buggy as in, I launched The Climb for the first time yesterday, game loaded into a black screen. Took me a few minutes to get back into Oculus home screen. Oculus home said I needed to shut down the game from desktop. Headset off, forced shut down The Climb on desktop. Headset on, but Oculus home was laggy and unresponsive. Headset off, shut down Oculus software on desktop and started Oculus home again. Headset on, black screen on headset. Headset off, restarted Oculus home. Headset on, still no image. Headset, restarted PC and the thing started working again.

And then my experience with the two sensor and three sensor setups. Set up two sensors fine. Everything working well. Robo Recall was fine. Few days later, third sensor came in. Added it in and it wouldn't work. Googled it and found out why. Took out third sensor and reverted everything back to two sensor setup on the exact same USB ports as before but the setup screen said one of the two sensors have poor connection quality and would not let me proceed despite it being fine just a few days ago. Had to do some stupid shit like plugging in the third sensor again and unplugging everything to try to get the software to say my two sensor setup is fine again as it was before.

So that's bugginess for you. It reminded me so much of how difficult PC gaming used to be and how much worse this is compared to those days even.

Plus, the whole thing of having to hold two controllers, one in each hand, while trying to put on or take off the headset without being able to see much around you. The headset wire not being long enough. Sweating a ton while playing. Not being able to sit back and relax to play a game.

I mean, these are very small complaints. But they add up. And it's things like these that will prevent VR from going mainstream.

Polybius is a day one for me. Love Minter. I'm chomping at the bit.

I contacted Oculus support and went through a regular ticket. Was pretty painless. Depending on where you bought it there may be better choices...

Well I emailed support and they asked to to unplug and check the cable. When I put pressure on the headset it happens. Unplugged the hdmi and re-plugged and now the thing won't turn on. FML. Asking in email to rma. And i just bought lone echo and the mage's tale! Tempted to buy the new bundle but I'll end up with two after the exchange. How long is the process from door to door?

Buggy as in, I launched The Climb for the first time yesterday, game loaded into a black screen. Took me a few minutes to get back into Oculus home screen. Oculus home said I needed to shut down the game from desktop. Headset off, forced shut down The Climb on desktop. Headset on, but Oculus home was laggy and unresponsive. Headset off, shut down Oculus software on desktop and started Oculus home again. Headset on, black screen on headset. Headset off, restarted Oculus home. Headset on, still no image. Headset, restarted PC and the thing started working again.

And then my experience with the two sensor and three sensor setups. Set up two sensors fine. Everything working well. Robo Recall was fine. Few days later, third sensor came in. Added it in and it wouldn't work. Googled it and found out why. Took out third sensor and reverted everything back to two sensor setup on the exact same USB ports as before but the setup screen said one of the two sensors have poor connection quality and would not let me proceed despite it being fine just a few days ago. Had to do some stupid shit like plugging in the third sensor again and unplugging everything to try to get the software to say my two sensor setup is fine again as it was before.

So that's bugginess for you. It reminded me so much of how difficult PC gaming used to be and how much worse this is compared to those days even.

Plus, the whole thing of having to hold two controllers, one in each hand, while trying to put on or take off the headset without being able to see much around you. The headset wire not being long enough. Sweating a ton while playing. Not being able to sit back and relax to play a game.

I mean, these are very small complaints. But they add up. And it's things like these that will prevent VR from going mainstream.

didnt have any of those experiences with The Climb, or setting up the sensors. Everything just worked for the most part. I did spend time adjusting my sensors to get better tracking, but every set up I had "worked," just some worked better than others.

i can sit back and relax when i play games like kittypocalypse and among other things.

the sweat is a factor...which is why i ordered a VR cover, but I mean...I think that just comes with the territory. headset wire for me is long enough, but there are extension cables for sale.

I haven't dealt with anything buggy in oculus home. Most of the bugginess I have experienced is in Steamvr. With apps not completely closing, or SteamVR crashing, or apps in steam vr crashing.

The Dude

Download chronos. It's why I've raved about it, it puts you in the game yet you can sit back with a controller and play like normal. It's the best of both worlds and a nice break between motion stuff.

Amneisac

So is it my messed-up eyeballs or is aiming two pistols like really hard? I'm good with one hand, but then I'm kind of looking at the other pistol slightly askew and shooting slightly to one side of the target. I have some eye shit going on so I really don't know if it'd because of that or if this is difficult for everyone.

I'm still having fun, but it's not as easy as The Matrix made it look to aim two pistols at once.

Also, Dead and Buried seems pretty cool I don't see it mentioned a lot.

ElyrionX

So is it my messed-up eyeballs or is aiming two pistols like really hard? I'm good with one hand, but then I'm kind of looking at the other pistol slightly askew and shooting slightly to one side of the target. I have some eye shit going on so I really don't know if it'd because of that or if this is difficult for everyone.

I'm still having fun, but it's not as easy as The Matrix made it look to aim two pistols at once.

Lol that's realistic. No one can fire two pistols in real life with any kind of accuracy. It's action movies and videogames bullshit.

Man, Thumper is WAAAAY easier in VR. You can see the obstacles on the track coming up much easier.

Yeah, that's normal. Aiming with two pistols isn't as easy I thought it would be either lol.

And Dead and Buried is fine, but every time I launch it, no one seems to be playing. It's a whole lot of me waiting in the lobby.

Banzai

Finally got everything set up yesterday and damn this is fun. Got Superhot right away and it's amazing.

What I really need now is something really atmospheric, though. Something I can be completely immersed in, with a real story. Suggestions?

(Disclaimer: I'm probably too much of a scaredy-cat for vr horror)

Finally got everything set up yesterday and damn this is fun. Got Superhot right away and it's amazing.

What I really need now is something really atmospheric, though. Something I can be completely immersed in, with a real story. Suggestions?

lone echo.

The Dude

Lone echo and chronos

Zalusithix

Simultaneous firing with two weapons in different directions isn't easy - at least when the targets are moving. With enough time you can get fairly decent with it at close to mid range, but beyond that it's a waste. Generally what you want to do with dual wielding is to not use the guns at the same time. Especially if ammo is a limited resource. Basically you take a proper shot with gun A, while simultaneously rough aiming gun B on another target using peripheral vision. Once you eliminate the target with gun A, switch focus to gun B which should be mostly on target. Now perform the final alignment for a proper shot with gun B while using gun A to acquire rough aim on a new target. Rinse and repeat. By reducing the hand movement needed to switch between targets, you can significantly increase your rate of fire vs using a single gun while reducing fatigue. Of course it doesn't compare with the rate simultaneous firing brings, but you'll be far more accurate with each shot.

StonedRider

I agree, just giving my initial impressions as they come, I would have been quite disappointed had I purchased at launch.

I assumed Elite Dangerous would be my go-to for seated non-touch VR, but I am having serious setup and control issues with my X55, and just the menus and ship operation in general. Since that's not really specifically related to the Oculus exclusively, I left it out in my other post, I'm sure there's some setup/checklist and learning curve I will need to adjust to, to play such a game, without being able to freely look down at my keyboard/HOTAS as I did often before.

I have X55 Rhino and play Elite Dangerous regularly, do you need any help with the setup? You can ask any questions about it in [thread=1157327] Elite OT[/thread]

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Question for VR cockpit sim racers: have you tried locking your view to the horizon to counter motion sickness?

This article strongly recommends it

I should finally have my Rift up and running this evening so have been reading up on motion sickness today, just in case.

Yes, locking to horizon helps a lot especially for racers with lots of bumps/hills. Remember not to push it if you start feeling sick. If you do feel nausea all is not lost as you can get accustomed to it over time. I couldn't make the first turn in assetto corsa the first time I tried. After going little by little each day I was able to overcome it. It took about a week or two before I was able to complete a race. No problems since then with any racers.

Mascot

Yes, locking to horizon helps a lot especially for racers with lots of bumps/hills. Remember not to push it if you start feeling sick. If you do feel nausea all is not lost as you can get accustomed to it over time. I couldn't make the first turn in assetto corsa the first time I tried. After going little by little each day I was able to overcome it. It took about a week or two before I was able to complete a race. No problems since then with any racers.

Great - thanks.

Dave_6

Yep, definitely take it easy and just do a little at a time. First two corners I took in AC with VR made me sick. Didn't try again until the next day but for just a few minutes. Then the next day I was able to do up to an hour total.

Syxx

Neo Member
My Touch controller from the bundle was delayed from Best Buy. I have the headset but the Touch controllers won't come until next Tuesday the earliest. However, my local Best Buy has the standalone Touch controllers. Are they the same? Would I be able to buy the separate ones, and then return the one from the bundle as the one I bought separately once it comes in?

Thanks!

Mascot

Yep, definitely take it easy and just do a little at a time. First two corners I took in AC with VR made me sick. Didn't try again until the next day but for just a few minutes. Then the next day I was able to do up to an hour total.

Man, you must have been wondering what the hell you'd signed up for. That must have been incredibly disappointing until you got over it.

I'm fully expecting to utterly hate the resolution, hate wearing the headset, hate the general faffing about, and hate projectile vomiting every thirty seconds.

Anything else will be a bonus! :p

Dave_6

LOL I went in with expectations of having some issues with it. It was so awesome though that I couldn't wait to try it again regardless. I'm still getting used to the resolution but once I'm in a race I don't think about it. At one point I was considering triple screens but not anymore!

Blam

I wish what the movies did was how it worked but sadly it's really not.

low-G

Well I emailed support and they asked to to unplug and check the cable. When I put pressure on the headset it happens. Unplugged the hdmi and re-plugged and now the thing won't turn on. FML. Asking in email to rma. And i just bought lone echo and the mage's tale! Tempted to buy the new bundle but I'll end up with two after the exchange. How long is the process from door to door?

I believe it was approx 5 business days? I don't remember clearly because I went on vacation, sorry.

Mascot

LOL I went in with expectations of having some issues with it. It was so awesome though that I couldn't wait to try it again regardless. I'm still getting used to the resolution but once I'm in a race I don't think about it. At one point I was considering triple screens but not anymore!

I'm sure I'll end up loving it, but am fully expecting hitches along the way. I'm actually going in with deliberately low expectations as it'd be easy to overhype VR and end up disappointed. Having said that I think proper stereoscopic 3D, binaural audio and the ability to look wherever the hell I want will be enough to keep me happy in cockpit-based sim racing though.

Just wondering about my Buttkicker though - it's driven by a feed from my sub, so if I'm using the Rift headphones...?

low-G

There's a reason literally nobody in real life but trick shooters use pistols akimbo. (And then only on one target at a time)

If you play a shooter with more realistic hit detection like Arizona Sunshine or H3VR, you'll see an approximation of how hard it is in reality.

Oh Jesus stupid iPad interface, sorry for 2 posts close together everyone

I'm sure I'll end up loving it, but am fully expecting hitches along the way. I'm actually going in with deliberately low expectations as it'd be easy to overhype VR and end up disappointed. Having said that I think proper stereoscopic 3D, binaural audio and the ability to look wherever the hell I want will be enough to keep me happy in cockpit-based sim racing though.

I think that is good. I went into Oculus months ago expecting it to not work for me at all. (Predicted glasses wouldn't fit thus couldn't see, tracking to be completely fubar (expected Kinect but worse) and zero immersion (expected it to be as immersive as looking at 3D eye magic)

HyGogg

Banned
Right, I should have mentioned I was gonna get that, sorry. Anything else? What's a good VR RPG?
Definitely backing up Lone Echo. It's the best VR game out right now, and it happens to be an open-world(ish) narrative adventure game.

Also consider: The Mage's Tale. It's first-person dungeon crawler RPG like Legend of Grimrock, but with projectile-based action combat. The story is not great, but the game is very fun.

Obduction is very good. It's an open-world adventure game from the creators of Myst, with some extremely gorgeous environments. Be warned, though, it needs a better video card than most VR games.

Wilson's Heart is also worth considering as one of the better narrative games in VR, but it is horror. It's kinda campy 1950s horror, nothing too nightmare-inducing, and it's mostly an advebut it has some jump scares that will get you.

HyGogg

Banned
I'm sure I'll end up loving it, but am fully expecting hitches along the way. I'm actually going in with deliberately low expectations as it'd be easy to overhype VR and end up disappointed.

The main thing with VR is that it's only as good as what you're playing. If you're playing something really fun and you're totally immersed, you're not going to be thinking about resolution. If you can achieve presence, that all goes away.

We're still on first gen hardware, but I think the software is really entering its third gen now, where devs are really learning how to build on what works about VR and design these super-immersive games that are unique to the medium. Lone Echo is a great example.

But then a lot of people go straight to "rollercoaster" or "racing game" in VR, fuck their tummies up, and then go "VR's not ready yet."

solaaire

Neo Member
The 1.17 game library updates are pretty solid. Being able to launch SteamVR games directly from Oculus Home is a much better user experience.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Just wondering about my Buttkicker though - it's driven by a feed from my sub, so if I'm using the Rift headphones...?

You can mirror your PC audio so that it goes out of both your Rift headphones and another output (Windows default).

https://www.vrheads.com/how-split-audio-between-vr-and-pc-speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom