• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game universe would you like to see more fleshed out?

Back then I would have actually liked to see the rest of the universe of Star Ocean 3, because there were so many locations, races, and other things you never see that is mentioned in the datalog. There was an expansive Federation composed of many planets and species that would have opened up a lot of interesting opportunities. It just sucks that you are stuck in medieval planet #432 and then go back to it. But with recent games, maybe I don't care that much anymore.

tobactrac

Neo Member
I really, really enjoyed Hard Reset for all of its visual scene-setting. Thought that world felt super alive and developed without needing any substantial story beats to explain itself. Would love to see so much more of that world. This is kind of embarrassing, but there was a good month or so where whenever I would be coming down from a high or drunkenness, I'd load it up just to walk around and listen to everything, like I would've done for my city at night when in high school.

Dervius

Furi had a pretty intriguing world and premise. Could be worth fleshing out, but tben again maybe some of the mystery is part of it.

I'm also a huge fan of the Metro universe. It's great in the games and incredible in the 2033 and 2035 books. I'm excited to see hiw it's expanded with Exodus.

danmaku

The Order 1886. The setting is so cool that's basically the only reason why some people keep asking for a sequel. It's such a great concept but the game does nothing with it.

Nightfall

The world post Metal Gear Rising.

I love this game and it was a really fresh and new idea for the franchise, so I'd love to see where it could go.

I'd also be happy with a PS4 remaster

Mephala

Give more Gravity Rush. Idc what it is. I'll take a Sunday comic strip for fuck's sake.

We need more Gravity Rush like Kat needs pretzels.
a05mZ0u.gif

eFKac

Resistance - I want more details on the Pure Chimera, the Chimeran Homeworld, the Cloven, Gray Tech, the other hypothesized alien race. That lore was so much bigger than the few games it got.

If I'd have to pick one, it would definitely be it.

maouvin

Gravity Rush (for every question GR2 answered, two more were born)
Freedom Wars (there's a JP only reference book with lots of lore info, but far from enough and the amazing setting can offer so much more)
The Order 1886 (same feelings as Freedom Wars, except for the ref book part)

Tapejara

Resistance - I want more details on the Pure Chimera, the Chimeran Homeworld, the Cloven, Gray Tech, the other hypothesized alien race. That lore was so much bigger than the few games it got.

This is my choice. I was deep into the series' lore for a while, and there's still so much we don't know. There's few things I want more than to read whatever series bible Insomniac created for Resistance.

The Order 1886. The setting is so cool that's basically the only reason why some people keep asking for a sequel. It's such a great concept but the game does nothing with it.

Yeah, as soon as they introduced (Order 1886 spoilers)
India and the existence of vamipres
I really wanted to know more about what was going on.

SomTervo

The Order 1886 is the easiest answer.

The lore and universe was just getting interesting when the narrative just stops.

It was a great idea for a fantasy universe. Pity it couldn't be realised more.

Soul Sacrifice.

I don't even want another narrative (still not done with Delta's storyline) but simply stories from that world would be great. Especially if in VN form- loved the art style of the game and holy fucking shit, Yasunori Mitsuda's work on the OST is sublime (and I didn't know he composed Chrono Trigger/Cross).

Strings

I absolutely adore the setting of the Summon Night series, and even though there's been close to a dozen games, I still want more!

Umm... I'd love to further explore the Atelier Dusk trilogy world too.

Soul Sacrifice.

Oh yeah, how the fuck did I forget this? Give me more Soul Sacrifice short stories!

SPCTRE

I'm talking spin off games of divergent genre, movies, anime, comics, books, the whole nine. Sort of like how Dragon Age and Mass Effect have a ton of tie in stuff that builds the canon.
Funny you should mention it, reading the thread title my first thought was Mass Effect.

Yes, I want even more, and yes, that is including Andromeda.

poodaddy

The Order. The lore and world building was actually quite interesting, shame that it's probably dead forever now.

I honestly just want some DOTA 2 lore content. I thought that Siltbreaker was going to scratch that itch for me, but it did nothing. Every comic, heroes and items descriptions makes me want to know more about the universe. I'd kill someone for some TF2-like videos that Valve used to make.

After replaying Corruption, I can confirm Retro actually put a shit ton of effort into worldbuilding and environmental storytelling in Prime 3. Even little aspects like how you find the body of a Space Pirate missing its sword on the GFS Valhalla and there's a Federation Marine impaled by that same sword in a corner.

Prime 3 has significant problems, but it made a good effort at expanding the setting. Five new planets, tons of info on the Federation, the Space Pirates, the Chozo, and Phazon, two new alien civilizations, the entire Phazon life cycle... It's a lot. People overlook the interesting parts because the beginning of the game is so generic military sci-fi.

Compare Prime 3 to Other M and it's like day and night in terms of how much effort is put into worldbuilding.

Corruption was great in that regard.

Outside of the Prime series, it's been set entirely on like two planets. For me, "fleshed out" means seeing more planets with their own histories.

I remember reading the manual to Homeworld and being really intrigued by that universe's setup.

As far as sci-fi stories go in video games Homeworld was surprisingly well thought out.

bosseye

Another vote for The Order 1886. It was such a cool world, but given that literally* everyone except for me literally despised it, we'll literally never get a sequel.

LITERALLY

Give more Gravity Rush. Idc what it is. I'll take a Sunday comic strip for fuck's sake.

Please. The second game did such a good job expanding on the world but there are still so many questions. Who is Raven really? Who are the creators and what is the dream? And you know there are more awesome cities out there.

We need more Gravity Rush like Kat needs pretzels.

Look at how incredible this gif is. How could someone not want more?

Please. The second game did such a good job expanding on the world but there are still so many questions. Who is Raven really? Who are the creators and what is the dream? And you know there are more awesome cities out there.

Exactly. The series only has 2 installments and there's so much potential there.

The Mario series, Nintendo has all of these locations and characters, yet they only feel like using the standard Toads, Goomba, Koopa and Bowser in most of their games, even the RPG spin-offs, where you'd expect the most in terms of character and world building, Alpha Dream and Intelligent Systems feel like they should only stick to the basic cast.

Do humans eat Pokémon?

If the anime is any indication... yes?

Toxi

Banned
Corruption was great in that regard.

Outside of the Prime series, it's been set entirely on like two planets. For me, "fleshed out" means seeing more planets with their own histories.
Yeah, it's been literally 2 planets, plus 2 space stations designed to simulate those 2 planets.

The Mario series, Nintendo has all of these locations and characters, yet they only feel like using the standard Toads, Goomba, Koopa and Bowser in most of their games, even the RPG spin-offs, where you'd expect the most in terms of character and world building, Alpha Dream and Intelligent Systems feel like they should only stick to the basic cast.

If the anime is any indication... yes?

Some of the scenes I've seen in the manga were way more "graphic"

gfs_106428_2_5.jpg

Such an intriguing world. Would make for a great movie if done right and there's still a lot to explore with games in that world.

Swiggins

Fallout

I fucking love the Fallout universe, give me more. I don't care where you set it. San Francisco, New Orleans, Denver, Columbus, Don't care. Give. Me. More.

There's so many things you can do with it as well, it's a license to print crazy batshit ideas because half of the Fallout lore is already crazy and batshit.

Wanna make a roving gang of invisible giants with schizophrenia? Boom! Radiation, FEV and Pre-War Tech, you've got it.

Want to put a bunch of zombies in cute 1950's spacesuits and shoot em at the moon? Done!

Wanna have a bunch of oppressive raiders occupying a kitchy Disneyland pastiche? You want it, you got it!

LordKasual

Banned
Final Fantasy XV -- The lore surrounding the Astrals, the Crystal, the old kings and the Starscourge seems too good to have just kind of swept into the last few hours of the game. I also think FFXV handled the whole "realistic but not really" concept pretty well, better than FF8 did at least.

Final Fantasy VII -- The events of FF7 (the original RPG) work best when they're standalone, so I don't really care about anything that happens post-sephiroth and Holy. but I feel like a story that actually focused on the events that took place when a full-bodied Jenova first landed on gaia would be worthy of an entire new game, and since Shinra, SOLDIER, or technology wouldn't have even existed back then, it probably would have resembled a completely different world.

Bloodborne -- As much as I don't believe this game should have a sequel....its lore is just too interesting to pass up a double dip.

Breath of Fire III -- I actually never played Breath of Fire I / II, so I wasn't actually aware that the setting and main antagonist were reoccurring entities. But there's something about the world of this game that's just so casually alluring. The events surrounding the desert of death, Myria's orbital station, and all the dead dragons would be interesting to hear more about.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
VA-11-HALL-A has some interesting culture dynamics that I think would be pretty cool to explore.

Raitaro

A lot of Nintendo universes, mostly (as mentioned by others as well):

- Metroid (what is daily life like outside of space pirates infested planets and space stations?)
- Star Fox (I need a game where I can fly around the Lylat System freely and land on planets to explore them)
- ARMS (why not a beat 'm up mode where I can see the world outside of the arena's?)
- Splatoon (THE new Nintendo IP to deserve a non-shooter spin-off that fleshes out its universe more imo)
- Kid Icarus (THE old Nintendo IP that deserves a full BOTW style open world action-adventure game imo)
- F-Zero (just look at the interesting background cities etc. on the horizon of all those planets!)
- Punchout! (I want to explore Little Mac's city)
- Dr. Mario (in the form of a Theme Hospital style medical sim / JRPG with the familiar puzzle mechanics + viruses thrown in as a combat mechanic or something)

Outside of these I'd always want to see more of the world(s) of:
- NieR
- Dark Souls
- Street Fighter (ideally by returning the favor to Final Fight and doing a beat 'm up style game with SF characters visiting Metro City)
- Genesis era Sonic (I want to freely explore those beautiful ruins and landscapes without seeing humans)
- Castlevania (in the form of an BOTW open world game, especially after the first Lords of Shadows and Mirror of Fate gave me a quite tantalizing taster of a larger Castlevania world)

13ruce

Banned
Splatoon.
Pleaseeeeeeeeeee Nintendo.
More about the human apocalypse.
More about how squids etc evolved and how they think about humans going extinct.
More about the war between octarians and why Octavio and Cuttlefish go from good friends to enemies. And way more.

Btw these are no Splatoon 2 spoilers it's from the first game.

Top Bottom