• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You 10th Anniversary

DNAbro

TWEWY aka It's a Wonderful World released in Japan on July 27th. So why not celebrate all about it?
DFnsBY_XsAAZLAG.jpg:large

ABOUT
One of the most creative and inventive RPGs ever made quite possibly the best DS game.

For the uninitiated the battle system took place on the top and bottom screen of the DS at the same time.

187350-the_world_ends_with_you_stride_cross_battle_system_01.jpg

The top would be controlled by the D-pad and the bottom would be controlled by the touch screen and sometimes the microphone. Both the top and bottom character share a health bar and attack the same enemies. You build a deck of pins that have various different affects and use the touch screen to activate their effects. You level up and evolve your pins as fight battles.

There is also a phone version titled TWEWY -Solo Remix- which condensed everything to one screen rather than two. Your partner character is more or less reduced into a pin to be activated like any other attack.

snk9n-1.jpg

Story

The story stars Neku Sakuraba, resident of Shibuya. He wakes up in the middle of Shibuya crossing with a timer on his hand.
TWEWYTimer_4902.png

latest

He finds himself having to participate in something called Reapers' Game which finds him paired with 3 people, Shiki, Joshua, and Beat across 3 weeks. Failure in beating the timer and meeting the goal for the day means erasure.

Shiki
latest

Joshua

Beat
latest

Reapers are the antagonist of the game who control what the goal and rules are each day. Most of them are just faceless progression walls but the leaders have larger than life personalities and incredibly fun characters.

the-world-ends-with-you-review-reapers.jpg

Music
One of the most iconic parts of the game was it's OST which was mostly comprised of vocal tracks that were a mix of rap, rock, and pop. Composed by Takeharu Ishimoto.

Twister Gang Mix
Three Minutes Clapping
Give me all Your Love
Calling
Owari Hajimari
Satisfy

The mobile version introduced even more music to the game
TATAKAI
Jump Over Yourself
Run Away

Which version should I play if I have never played before?

Pros of DS version
Better and more creative battle system.
Harder.

Pros of mobile version
Better graphics
More music, remixes and longer versions of DS tracks.
Easier
No need to blow into microphone.

Both are good but it will probably be easier to 100% the mobile version. Some pins are very difficult to evolve in the DS version.

TWEWY -Live Remix-
What is this? It's was a social network game developed by GREE and Square Enix and it was pretty bad.
File:Atarashi_Koko2.jpg

Probably better to forget that this exist. Only good thing to come out of it was more music.

March On

Kingdom Hearts Cameo

The last major thing TWEWY were featured in was a cameo appearance in Traverse Town in the Kingdom Hearts game Dream Drop Distance
worldendskh3d.jpg
kh3d_twewy_08_thumb.jpg

Will they make another cameo appearance in 3? Maybe.

SEQUEL???????
Sequel fucking when
DFnsdr4WsAA3XqQ.jpg

After finishing Solo Remix's secret reports, we were teased with the above. Since then we haven't really heard anything about a sequel. So where is it? Probably lost in the hell that Square Enix has created.

Last time it was mentioned was in an interview with Nomura in 2016
Nomura said that when it comes to The World Ends With You, its following is very big overseas. He goes on to state that many people, especially overseas request that a sequel be made. Nomura adds that this is no easy task, but the possibility of a new entry isn’t completely ruled out. He wants to ensure that he will have the staff and team needed to deliver an product equal to the original game.
Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/06/tetsuya-...om-hearts-hd-2-8-iii-more#YmVTl8gieZjqu3Tu.99

Maybe this is the year for something.

So shout out to 10 years of one of my favorite video games of all time.

Skilletor

I'm playing this on my iPad with an apple pencil and it's pretty awesome.

One of the best games ever made. Wish we could get a sequel. :(

MegaMelon

I first stumbled on Neogaf through the countdown thread for the teaser funnily enough. Man that was depressing then the teaser of new 7 days was exciting then nothing and now just sadness.

DFq4OoUXUAAkbES.jpg:large

artwork from SE art director to celebrate 10th anniversary.

And that's all this game is gonna get till the 20th anniversary where we'll get another picture ;_;

Realeza

Banned
Best JRPG ever made. I was waiting until the American anniversary to make a post explaining why it is so fucking amazing.

This game has probably the best difficulty scaling I have ever encountered in a game. You can make it as easy or difficult as you want and you're rewarded for making it harder so it has a purpose.

mrmickfran

Still need to finish this game.

On the 7th day of the 2nd cycle.

Been going on and off since 2014, I don't know why lol

Ashby

Jesus, ten years? Feels like less than half that. Amazing game that I'm glad I had the opportunity to play. Can't believe this never turned into a franchise.

It's great. Shame the sequel seemingly got cancelled.
Didn't like the design of the new girl in the teaser anyways.

Kind of wanted to see a new location for the games. Pretty sure they said it took place in various parts of the world so it would be cool to spice things up

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
In my top 5 of all time. Of all the cool mechanics in play, I loved being able to scale your own level down to increase the drop rate of rare items.

The plot is exhilarating. It's hard for me to say more without gushing with spoilers.

I'd probably prefer they didn't make a sequel. I have 0 faith in SE being able to recapture the magic.

PMS341

Great battle system, style, music, etc. Dialogue was fairly corny at times, but given the territory, that was to be expected. Genuinely a unique experience and one of my favorite games for the DS.

NorthernSpade

Neo Member
TWEWY is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, so much charm and style, and the game's OST is GOAT.

Could never fully master controlling two characters at once though lol.

Loz246789

I will always be confused as to how such a hodge podge of a game works so well mechanically (Seriously, just the dual screen thing would be enough, but there's fashion, pins, food, and not-beyblade to worry about as well. AND it had the then super innovative "level down for goodies" thing going for it). And I will seemingly always be confused as to why Square refuses to make a sequel.

Love TWEWY, one of my all time favourite games, there quite literally isn't much like it. I need a sequel.

VertPin

DFq4OoUXUAAkbES.jpg:large

artwork from SE art director/character designer who worked on the game to celebrate 10th anniversary.

welp I'm just gonna sulk in a corner now, lol.

I remember picking this up on the DS when it first came up because it was in a magazine and looked cool. Little did I know I would play it through six plus times and become my favorite DS game.

I cannot believe this game is now ten years old...I wish we had a sequel.

BTW...the iOS version is fantastic. Do not be worried because it's an iOS game, it translates magically to the device and the updated art/music is awesome.

FanDeNintendo

Neo Member
I had lots of fun playing it in Japanese the first time. Great game and hoping for a sequel, although Nomura is not focused on that right now btw.

Oh yeah, this game takes place in Shibuya, right? I'm moving back to Tokyo later this year so it could be cool to play this while living there. GAF always speak highly of this game but I've yet to play it myself.

I still have a brand new sealed copy of this game in a drawer somewhere. Really enjoyed this game when it was released. Maybe I'll rip open that new copy and play through it again one of these days.

Raven117

TWENTY is one of the best RPGs to come out . . . well, to come out.

It was forward thinking, different, and had an awesome soundtrack.

Steiner

Banned
Is tracking down an old cart the ONLY way to play this? It never showed up on Wii U VC or anywhere else?

Also... Why don't we have DS games available to download digitally to the 3DS since it can play them natively? Is that a dumb question?

Anyway... The only option on Amazon is to buy this thing new for $20. I was rather hoping I could find it cheaper than that. Maybe I'll go see if Gamestop has a used copy for cheaper.

Oreiller

Probably my favourite DS game and one of my favourite JRPG ever.
Hope we'll see a sequel eventually but I doubt it'd be as good as the first one.

jamsy

I really liked this game. Played the DS version for some hours way back when, then got the Remix version on mobile and spent a lot of time with that.

I breezed through the game doing all the hardest challenges or whatever they were, but I couldn't beat the last boss. There was definitely a huge spike in challenge there. I should try and see if I still have that save somewhere...

unbuliebubble

Neo Member
Oh dear lord, already 10 years since the last TWEWY.
Been waiting for a proper sequel ever since, but that's always the story with any Nomura game huh...

Besides the innovative gameplay and cool soundtrack, I truly love the Art-style of this game too, I get obsessed in leveling up the pins just to see the art on each of them.
Sadly though not a lot of cosmetic changes on the characters when using the Fashions.

Top Bottom