• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Gameplay Montage

Guys, I'm having a problem here. If this game existed in a vacuum, I would absolutely say it looked beautiful. But, I seriously can't stop thinking about the Wii U's terrible specs...it's really hampering my enjoyment of this. It's making the graphics look worse.

Mael

Guys, I'm having a problem here. If this game existed in a vacuum, I would absolutely say it looked beautiful. But, I seriously can't stop thinking about the Wii U's terrible specs...it's really hampering my enjoyment of this. It's making the graphics look worse.

So let me get this straight :
Pictures that you would find beautiful look horrible to you because of some numbers on a spreadsheet?

nikatapi

Do you mean it should look better?
I'm not sure i understand your frustration.

Still doesn't look as good as I was expecting from a next gen Pikmin, but I guess I need to be more realistic. It does look nice though.

The person playing needs their fingers broken for getting all those Pikmin killed though. :(

CronoShot

This makes even less sense than it usually would considering we don't even know the Wii U's real specs.

Yeah, I felt the same way about Uncharted 3, I used to think it was gorgeous but knowing that PS3 has a weaker GPU than the Wii U has really made it look horrible by comparison.

MrT-Tar

Graphically, the game is far improved from the E3 build; the lighting especially is fantastic. IMO the water is a little disappointing, but as a whole the game looks absolutely fantastic.

So let me get this straight :
Pictures that you would find beautiful look horrible to you because of some numbers on a spreadsheet?

Yeah, it's distressing. I mean, looking at the video I'm seeing that gorgeous lighting, the fantastic depth of field effects, the beautiful high-res textures...but in my mind all I can see is "1.24 GHz," "low-bandwidth DDR3," etc. I...I just think I could not possibly enjoy playing Pikmin 3 at all.

Jackano

Spring 2013... This sound late march as the very earliest!
This is s**t!

So Nintendo said they need more games in the launch-window, unless with the 3DS, and Pikmin 3, wich should have been a lunch-title, came out 4 to 6 months after?
They will severely learn to not count on thrid party games to sell a hardware...

Play mario Wii-U on the Wii-U. It looks really great. i know the game is not as demanding as let's say CoD BLOPS2, but it DOES run in real 720P, at a solid 60 fps and it's really clean, so there is some noce anti aliassing going on. (not on the world map for some reason though..).

Trine looks absolutely phenomenal.

Pikim3 will look great. But games made from the ground up for Wii-U will look way better even.

However, if you buy a Wii-U for multiplats,.. then maybe that's not your best bet. Devs rarely rewally go the extra mile to build the same game again from the ground up for one system.
And, the xbox720 and ps4 will get much better versions when they come out.

But i have no single doubt that the first party games will look absoletely breathtaking.

mrwilt

Lighting from the fire is impressive. The depth of field looks nice, but I wonder how this would look if they used a tilt-shift effect.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
OH MY GOD STOP ATTACKING THE CRAB

STOP

IT'S KILLING EVERYONE

EDIT: My only major concern with Pikmin 3's graphics is the texture filtering. I hope they're doing something there. ZombiU and Nintendo Land have shitty texture filtering and jesus fuck I do not want another Nintendo generation of textures blurring two feet in front of me. Seriously, 16xAF. 8xAF. Please, Wii U. Please be able to do it.

Though to be fair, that heavy DOF probably hides an absence of AF pretty well.

Roo

Yeah, it's distressing. I mean, looking at the video I'm seeing that gorgeous lighting, the fantastic depth of field effects, the beautiful high-res textures...but in my mind all I can see is "1.24 GHz," "low-bandwidth DDR3," etc. I...I just think I could not possibly enjoy playing Pikmin 3 at all.

lol
Too bad for you then...

Stop playing specs and play games instead :)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The new stuff looks really great. I wish they used that art style from the old promo art instead of the realistic sort of look they try to give the polished items and effects, but I think it looks a bit better than it did at E3 now and don't mind the graphics anymore. Definitely my most anticipated Wii U game now, up there with The Wonderful 101.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bubble trapped pikmin is horrible. Horrible! I felt bad watching them float away like that :(

I hate that crab.

I bet they pop a little distance away, bit like when the flying insects in pikmin 2 grab your pikmin. Too many bubbles for them to be gone forever. I hope...

MrT-Tar

please tell me this is either satire or a gaf in-joke that has gone over my head...

If you're 100% serious, what happens when you play games from previous generations?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

seems you need to be less subtle. not sure why, I chuckled at your first post

RagnarokX

How are you guys not getting that Error Macro is being ironic. He's being really really obvious. They really need to make the irony punctuation mark official.

Alex

It looks nice, the art direction is totally great and overall its improved from e3, but it is still easy to tell it started life as a Wii game. Little too sparse, little too flat, but its still very nice looking so I hardly feel like complaining.

As much as I dont really give a shit about asset quality all that much anymore, I do look forward to them putting out that first full, meaty game that really flexes the system. Sort of the same way I look forward to the dx11 stuff on other platforms, I want to see better art cohesion and new looks from everyone.

Have become overly accoustomed to all the current engines and tricks.

Jackano

Oh, I'm pretty sure they did it again... The Pikmin 1 level "Forest Navel" is here again.
In Pikmin 2, the levels were remakes of 4 out of 5 Pikmin 1 levels (except Forest Navel).
At least it seems we got new levels, and as long as this is only Forest Navel, I will be ok with it. However, recycling areas is pretty cheap.

Alex

I fully intend to let Pikmin get chomped more this time, my ocd in the dungeons in 2 consumed too much time.

klier

Hype hype hype hype hype hype

Day -1

etc. it looks fantastic and I cannot wait for it, it has been more than a decade for me, have never played the games after the GCN era. Apart from Nintendo Land ;)

Mariolee

Looks aren't everything but why does this look like a game cube game?

I know you're being facetious and trolling (if not, then sorry), but for those who still truly believe this, they even give a direct comparison between the Wii version and the Wii U version in the beginning seconds of the video. C'mon guys.

daakusedo

They find a way to make caves harder playing with darkness, the flying monster appearing is already a good example, now if there is something like the waterwraith and you just hear him coming, that's gonna be bad.

i-Lo

This game reminds me of the ad "Dumb ways to die" by Metro transit in victoria australia. It's cute and scary and violent at the same time.

Games looks fantastic imo. The flowers and foliage in particular look almost real. My only complaint is the ground. Give me some viva pinata level ground in here and the graphics would be almost perfect.

LOCK

Looks better than E3 build, and with at least 2 months of development still, maybe more improvements could be made. Unless this is shelved by Nintendo until release.

Top Bottom