• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ok I just did the update via USB stick. I followed Rtings settings to a tee BUT am using normal temperature and normal for "TV brightness" setting. Pretty happy. Warm is just too yellow for me, am I crazy? I chose normal for TV brightness because HDR it's supposed to be on darkest and non HDR it's supposed to be on darkest so I just split the difference as this seems to be the one setting that is not independent of the source / input (correct me if I'm wrong)

really just depends on what you're used to. most pros will tell you that warm is more accurate. but if you use screens daily that skew more towards the cooler color temps you're going to initially think its too yellow.

i actually have mine set to brightest. it really just depends on how much lighting you have in your room. dark feels too dark to me unless you have all the lights off and i don't really like having to always adjust my settings between daytime and nighttime viewing.

Karish

really just depends on what you're used to. most pros will tell you that warm is more accurate. but if you use screens daily that skew more towards the cooler color temps you're going to initially think its too yellow.

i actually have mine set to brightest. it really just depends on how much lighting you have in your room. dark feels too dark to me unless you have all the lights off and i don't really like having to always adjust my settings between daytime and nighttime viewing.

I just put mine to brightest but compensated by turning backlight down to 20. This way when HDR kicks in it will be where it needs to be and the standard stuff looks medium as it should

Stiler

Ok I just did the update via USB stick. I followed Rtings settings to a tee BUT am using normal temperature and normal for "TV brightness" setting. Pretty happy. Warm is just too yellow for me, am I crazy? I chose normal for TV brightness because HDR it's supposed to be on darkest and non HDR it's supposed to be on darkest so I just split the difference as this seems to be the one setting that is not independent of the source / input (correct me if I'm wrong)

As others have said, you're simply used to cool colors (IE Vivid/normal).

Warm is generally the more accurate colors on a tv, it's closer to what the directors and such meant for the colors to look like on the screen.

Give it a couple days and see how you like it, then switch back to normal and compare it

If you still prefer normal after using it on warm for a few days then by all means leave it where you like it, it's your tv after all and you should use it how you enjoy it the best.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
As others have said, you're simply used to cool colors (IE Vivid/normal).

Warm is generally the more accurate colors on a tv, it's closer to what the directors and such meant for the colors to look like on the screen.

Give it a couple days and see how you like it, then switch back to normal and compare it

If you still prefer normal after using it on warm for a few days then by all means leave it where you like it, it's your tv after all and you should use it how you enjoy it the best.

I agree. Warm really is the best. It seems yellowish when going from normal and cool, but once you get used to it you will see how great it is.

As others have said though it's your TV and your viewing.

What upcoming games are people looking forward to playing on there new tv? I'm considering picking up matterfall because of how much I love resogun. I'm interested in seeing what they can do with hdr now that they've had a lot more experience with the PlayStation 4.

Karish

What upcoming games are people looking forward to playing on there new tv? I'm considering picking up matterfall because of how much I love resogun. I'm interested in seeing what they can do with hdr now that they've had a lot more experience with the PlayStation 4.
Great question and I'd also like to know what people have enjoyed in the past (best HDR games I guess)

Great question and I'd also like to know what people have enjoyed in the past (best HDR games I guess)

I havnt had any "new" games to play on my tv yet except for hellblade which looks insane. Horizon is the obvious choice but I had no plans for getting a new tv so I beat the game a few months back. It's still cool to fire up and just explore the world though.

Karish

Never been one to focus on input lag but I think I noticed how much smoother controls felt when playing splatoon 2 last night

I'm so close to just ordering this damn tv, it's on my mind like every day. The ONLY thing stopping me is the fear of ordering the tv and then finding out (hopefully soon??) that Xbox One X has some special preorder bundle or something with a tv...

Hopefully MS reveals this crap this weekend, I don't want to wait any longer if I don't have to!

vg260

I'm so close to just ordering this damn tv, it's on my mind like every day. The ONLY thing stopping me is the fear of ordering the tv and then finding out (hopefully soon??) that Xbox One X has some special preorder bundle or something with a tv...

Hopefully MS reveals this crap this weekend, I don't want to wait any longer if I don't have to!

Same here.

Never been one to focus on input lag but I think I noticed how much smoother controls felt when playing splatoon 2 last night

I started playing through the crash trilogy again after I got this TV and going from 43ms to 14ms feels like a massive difference in a game you have to make precise movements.

RedAssedApe

Banned
anyone experiencing an issue where the tv is cranking sharpness back up even when you have sharpness set to 0?

seems to occur when you go from SDR to HDR. adjusting sharpness again fixes it but its a pain in the ass to have to do it everytime. respect my settings damnit! lol

anyone experiencing an issue where the tv is cranking sharpness back up even when you have sharpness set to 0?

seems to occur when you go from SDR to HDR. adjusting sharpness again fixes it but its a pain in the ass to have to do it everytime. respect my settings damnit! lol

Each Dolby vision, HDR, and SDR mode on the TV has its own settings saved within that input. Hell I think each variant of those modes have there own settings saved when you set it. HDR dark/normal/bright will have there own settings within that one input. Imagine each variant having its own settings.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Each Dolby vision, HDR, and SDR mode on the TV has its own settings saved within that input. Hell I think each variant of those modes have there own settings saved when you set it. HDR dark/normal/bright will have there own settings within that one input. Imagine each variant having its own settings.

i purposely have set sharpness to 0 on all inputs and modes. just to clarify, when i look at the settings sharpness is still set to 0 and is still set to 0 when the tv switches from movie to hdr dark/normal, etc. however, i clearly notice some edge enhancement. if i bump sharpness up to 1 its gone. seems like some kind of bug

I check TCL's site, rtings, and this thread on a daily basis hoping to see when the 65" version will become available. I think it is the tv I'm leaning toward getting unless black friday has something better. I still havent ruled out the 65" hisence hc8, which is only 900 right now and will likely be even cheaper on black Friday.

Ashhong

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but how does the picture and overall quality compare to a plasma?

My 8 year old Panasonic S1 plasma looks like it finally has a dead pixel and I'm a little weary about upgrading. I love the picture of my plasma so much, but am willing to upgrade if necessary. Or wait until OLED, not sure.

nampad

Shame the model isn't available in Europe.

Yes and I don't get it either. TCL is getting a lot of goodwill by the US consumers and the same would be true for Europe. So far, nobody knows the brand here.

Guess they can't produce more of the TVs on short notice. Same must be true for bigger sizes.

They won't and if for some crazy reason they do it won't be cheaper than an xoxox + the cost of this tv.

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but how does the picture and overall quality compare to a plasma?

My 8 year old Panasonic S1 plasma looks like it finally has a dead pixel and I'm a little weary about upgrading. I love the picture of my plasma so much, but am willing to upgrade if necessary. Or wait until OLED, not sure.

I upgraded from my three year old Samsung plasma and am very happy. The corners are not as bright as I would like them to be and the dirty screen effect can be distracting, especially for someone who owned a plasma. The dirty screen effect looks similar to the screen burn in you can get on a plasma tv. My first model was tcl tv had very bad dirty screen effect and I had to get it replaced but the good news is that the second tv is much better. It's still ocassionally noticeable, but it's not the constant distraction that my first tcl tv was.

RedAssedApe

Banned

xbox + sony tv :D

Ashhong

They won't and if for some crazy reason they do it won't be cheaper than an xoxox + the cost of this tv.

I upgraded from my three year old Samsung plasma and am very happy. The corners are not as bright as I would like them to be and the dirty screen effect can be distracting, especially for someone who owned a plasma. The dirty screen effect looks similar to the screen burn in you can get on a plasma tv. My first model was tcl tv had very bad dirty screen effect and I had to get it replaced but the good news is that the second tv is much better. It's still ocassionally noticeable, but it's not the constant distraction that my first tcl tv was.

Does that dirty screen effect go away as you watch or is it always there? Burn in on my plasma always went away after a few minutes. Would you say overall the picture quality and color are on par with the plasma?

Does that dirty screen effect go away as you watch or is it always there? Burn in on my plasma always went away after a few minutes. Would you say overall the picture quality and color are on par with the plasma?

I'm no expert but I believe the effect is caused by variances in the way the tv screen is lit. I would say the picture quality and color are dramatically better. I am very happy with the tv. Keep in mind that the viewing angles suck and the built in speakers are bad. But I sit right in front of my tv and have surround sound so neither one of those things bother me.

Karish

I'm no expert but I believe the effect is caused by variances in the way the tv screen is lit. I would say the picture quality and color are dramatically better. I am very happy with the tv. Keep in mind that the viewing angles suck and the built in speakers are bad. But I sit right in front of my tv and have surround sound so neither one of those things bother me.

I found the "theater" audio setting to be pretty decent.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The likelihood of there being any bundle with this TV is pretty much next to 0.

If there were some bundle it would likely be with a much more expensive TV.

It doesn't make much sense for a $500 console to get a bundle deal with a $600-$650 TV.

muzzymate

From rtings: "Update 08/15/2017: TCL has confirmed to us that the 65" variant of the P607 will not be coming out this year."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607

Bummer, I was waiting for the 65".

Well bummer. I need to replace my 65" TV soon and was waiting on that size of this model. I do have another room that a 55" could go in eventually, so maybe I'll just replace it with this TCL TV and see how long I can go with the smaller size.

Well I'm glad I purchased the 55 then. It's an incredible tv so far considering the price. Shame there is so little HDR content

I wonder if they will stick with the cheaper pricing as they could easily get away with selling this thing for a few hundred dollars more.

Well I'm glad I purchased the 55 then. It's an incredible tv so far considering the price. Shame there is so little HDR content

I wonder if they will stick with the cheaper pricing as they could easily get away with selling this thing for a few hundred dollars more.

I think the this priced so low to get an edge on the competition as they enter a new market. Think of how vizio was a few years back.

vg260

Does anyone know if the p607 (with the better remote and heradset) still has IR support?

I image it has to be using RF for audio, right? But can you still use a universal IR remote?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Some guys at avs reported having the same sharpness bug as me and rtings tweeted back at them confirming they could reproduce it too.

FaintDeftone

So when HDR kicks in, does the TV revert to different settings? I noticed this last night when checking out Resogun in HDR. All of a sudden the jarring backlights kicked in when the game booted. Do I need to tweak the settings separately for HDR as well or is this simply due to HDR needing brighter backlights to display more vibrant colors?

Sorry, I'm new to this whole 4K HDR thing (this is my first 4K set) and I just want to make sure I'm getting the best picture quality I can.

Top Bottom