• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

linko9

Not a fan of all the brightness and bloom or whatnot. Original looks better. But it's good that more people will get to play this game.

Lotto

I hope this game looks better in motion than it does in screens. Windwaker is probably one of my favorite games artistically but their interpretation of it in HD isn't doing much for me at the moment.

Draft

New Zeldas that used the design of old Zeldas were already stale. Now it's old Zeldas using the design of old Zeldas. Nintendo had better be careful. Zelda is going to turn into a niche franchise.

Duffyside

Banned
Screen3-Large.jpg

vs

irbdIzFZIJj6E.jpg

Ding ding ding.

This comparison shows exactly what is wrong here. Nintendo seemed to have forgotten what it was about WW's look that made it so special. It's like they're trying to SQUEEZE all the lively cartoonish bright joy out of this thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yup lol. People keep setting themselves up. This will be full price, just like Ocarina 3D was

You're comparing what is considered a 'masterpiece' to what is considered 'ok' in terms of Zeldas.

Also, making a 64 game look decent is a lot harder than a Gamecube one. People on here make Wind Waker look good for free.

guek

Banned
RE the graphics discussion:

Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Of course many people are going want an upscaled version of the old art style, but just as many would complain if that's all they did.

Maybe nintendo simply didn't do enough with this update, I dunno. With such a divisive art style though in general, they were bound to piss someone off.

bangai-o

Banned
Ding ding ding.

This comparison shows exactly what is wrong here. Nintendo seemed to have forgotten what it was about WW's look that made it so special. It's like they're trying to SQUEEZE all the lively cartoonish bright joy out of this thing.

maybe they remembered all the complaints about the look that made it so special, so they try to find some middle ground.

I'm honestly a little confused.

Is he saying that they're making a wind waker hd and a brand new zelda title for wii u?

so they announced two zelda games?

Looks way worse than the original to me. That is just personal preference though. I can't argue that the original art style is objectively better. I might be able to argue the new one looks like there is something smeared on top of it though.

You know, thinking about it, I'd rather a Twilight Princess remake. With a chapter select.

WW will look great forever, but TP already looks a bit whatever. THAT'S the game that needs a new coat of paint.

Ding ding ding.

To me this shows exactly what is right about the HD update.

Thoughts?

Persona86

Banned
Now I really want to buy a WiiU ASAP because of today's Nintendo Direct, they really delivered. But I think I will wait a few more months until the games actually start coming out.

bug_42

I remember playing the original with the GBA link.

I wonder if they are going to be using the new controller in the same way?

shtkn

i have a strong feeling that this remake (and any future ones) is a trial run to get more ppl at nintendo used to implementing hd graphical effects.

pretty smart move imo.

guek

Banned
What I find most amusing though is that despite some of the complaints, most everyone talking about the visuals will likely end up buying it anyway regardless :3

Persona86

Banned
I don't really care how much better it looks, but I like how "different" it looks, it makes it more worth playing again. If you want it to look exactly like the CG version, then play that. :)

I think it shows that Nintendo is making more of an effort than the typical "HD remakes" we've had in the past. I'm sure they will probably add a few side quests too. :)

Those graphics look awful. Why are they introducing that kind of lighting in a cell shaded game? It completely kills the art style.

^This is the only correct reaction to this thread.

Anyone in this thread who thinks that splattering the same-"next-gen"-blinding bloom and low quality SSAO onto a cell-shaded game will make it an HD-rerelease has just lost their Hardcore Gamer card.

Anyone thinking that the Dolphin screenshots aren't "good" enough for HD might want to remember that Dolphin Edition of Wing Waker has High Resolution Texture Patches for everything from the HUD to the game world.

Duffyside

Banned
To me this shows exactly what is right about the HD update.

Thoughts?

That I can't for the life of me figure you out.

I like the original better because the colors are brighter, more vibrant, and everything stands out. The world seems alive.

Why do you like the new one? Because it's new? Because the colors are more muted, and there's a ton of bloom, and better shadows?

Eusis

If it's not full price it'll be at least $50. At any rate a far from my expected $20 DD, but I forgot this is Nintendo and for better or worse (this on average will probably be for the better) they prefer to go with dedicated retail releases.

Honestly, I think all they REALLY need to do is make that bloom optional. It doesn't look right with the original assets, but I can see the appeal to some, and if you can make it look the way it initially did but in HD I don't see how anyone could have a problem.

I'm honestly a little confused.

Is he saying that they're making a wind waker hd and a brand new zelda title for wii u?

so they announced two zelda games?

yup. wind waker hd and a brand new zelda which they're still in the concept stage of, but they're going to rethink this zelda to try and break from the mold a bit

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's a full remake, why wouldn't it be full price?

I hope it has a wii remote/nunchuk option

The Halo remake wasn't full price, and it even came with the newest multiplayer form of Halo and you could play both the remake and the original game on it.

Why WOULD this be full price?

Woah crazy announcement didn't expect that! And the Wind Waker HD looks... very different from the original if anything this makes me wanna play the GameCube version more.

Also I'm a little confused in the new Zelda was he confirming it to be multiplayer? Or just single player?

FyreWulff

The funny thing is, if they had just re-rendered the GameCube version in 720/1080p, most of the pages would have been "lol I can just do this in Dolphin"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom