• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil in 2012: Wii U "has been on par with what we have with the current generation"

lednerg

I love how we can accurately judge the hardware of a console from the decisions of a single developer on a 1st gen port. That's an entirely intelligent and fair thing for us to be doing.

Also, have we heard about the framerate that Vigil is seeing compared to the PS3/360 version?

daebo

Wow... I know this should in no way change the way I feel or how I think... but fuck, listening to defensive nintendo fans is making me want to not buy the Wii U... not nintendo or their specs...

What is this undying need to be so defensive? How about you just sit back, wait for it to release at the end of the year and serve some crow? wouldn't that be more satisfying than arguing something that is not winnable by either side?

also, if you are wrong come the end of the year, you won't have a years worth of posts for people to post links to show how you were wrong.

Just smile and wait. Honestly, it's just annoying.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I was under the impression he meant like the current PC hardware? Like the new nVidia Kepler cards, no?

Even if WiiU is closer to PS360, it's disingenuous to say it's Wii all over again. For one thing, Wii was not a huge leap in power over it's predecessor like WiiU is over Wii. This is the first time Nintendo franchises will be in HD. Also, there won't be an SD/HD barrier between WiiU and the other consoles. They'll all be HD and the differences WAY less noticeable.

Ah HD...what would you say the ratio of HD to non-HD games are for 360/PS3?

Instro

I agre, you won't really see potential until you go exclusive development. They are just simply porting darksiders 2 to wii u.

To think that wii u is only on par with current gen is riddiculus, unless they are aiming for a $149-199 dollar console.

Well, not to get into the whole power narrative, but exclusives and games designed on "next gen" engines like CryEngine 3 and Frostbite 2 would be the place to look in terms of what is possible with the console. I don't think Darksiders has a whole lot of upward mobility visually, its a game designed for 360/PS3 hardware.

border

The Wii was more powerful than the Xbox and GameCube, but its software rarely hit the high watermarks of Xbox1 games. There isn't a lot on the Wii that rivals Doom 3, Chronicles of Riddick, Ninja Gaiden, or Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

The kind of development culture that surrounds the WiiU will be as important as the hardware inside. Nintendo needs to encourage developers that make games to push limits....they set the bar so low with the Wii that most stuff ended up looking pretty shoddy and last-generation.

This thread is like the Hulk fights Thor over a misunderstanding, two big forces slamming at each other over pretty much nothing, both set in their ways and nobody wants to admit they're in the wrong.

DarkChild

Banned
Or you could maybe read the topic. It's not that hard, I promise.
When you say

No, you trust the opinion of one source over many others because it fits your agenda.

I expect you to post those sources. What we have hear is clear cut quote that says WiiU is on par with current HD consoles. There is no going around that, and your posts about "he say she says" and "Rein basically wanted to say etc" won't help. WiiU can be 30-40% more powerful on performance side, it also may have twice as much ram. But when its all said and done, when you have controller to "feed" too, than it should end up pretty close on big screen.

Instro

The Wii was more powerful than the Xbox and GameCube, but its software rarely hit the high watermarks of Xbox1 games. There isn't a lot on the Wii that rivals Doom 3, Chronicles of Riddick, Ninja Gaiden, or Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

Its rather questionable really, overclocking the same chipset does very little for you visually.

Orayn

This thread is like the Hulk fights Thor over a misunderstanding, two big forces slamming at each other over pretty much nothing, both set in their ways and nobody wants to admit they're in the wrong.

Pretty much. It's Team "WiiU ≈ 360/PS3" versus Team "WiiU ≥ 360/PS3" and we don't have much to go on either way.

Instro

Is it really just Epic, because people in this thread said there were multiple sources contradicting this threads one source.

Of what I can remember, Ubisoft has made some mentions of it being more powerful. A guy from Dice said it was more powerful but not what he wanted out of next gen. There are confirmed developers in the WiiU thread who have said it is more powerful.

Whether or not that contradicts with what is being said in the OP is another matter. I don't know what he means by on par its a rather ambiguous term, apparently many developers consider the ipad on par with current gen hardware as well so I'm not sure how to take that phrase.

Is it really just Epic, because people in this thread said there were multiple sources contradicting this threads one source.

Gearbox claimed Aliens will run at a higher res, but that was a while ago( & doesn't directly contradict the quote, in the same way as Vigils TD quote about "more powerful"), & they have also said

"We imagine that performance specifications are within affordable reach that would provide undeniable performance advantages over competitive platforms. "

It all depends on your definition of "on par".

MYE

It's called a consumer choice. If someone is going to spend $200+ for a 720P console, do they buy the Wii U with 15 titles or a PS360 with hundreds? I don't see Nin getting lucky again with next gen, they had a gimmick that was a fad for a few years, but I'm not sure if a tablet controller is the next big thing. You might see a repeat of the GC next gen.

Fad, gimmick, some nintendoom and gloom to spice things up

You're really delivering on all fronts here

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't get why people are so conflicted. Wii U will be a bit more powerful than 360/PS3, but not up to 720/PS4. That's the indication I've been getting this whole time.

i-Lo

If people want to know what the true potential of WiiU is then they should wait for a game from their first party. They brought out the best in Wii and will do the same again.

In any case, why i everyone judging the present and future quality of the system on launch software and tech demos?

I mean really, considering that tech demos and quick ports to the system look like the best stuff from late-lifecycle PS360 games (like how early PS360 games were to PS2/GC/Xbox), I'm expecting the system to provide awesome experiences later on, considering that the hardware it's packing can produce these results with no big effort.

The "more powerful" comments don't really contradict anything, considering the Wii itself is more powerful than PS2/Xbox. I'm only asking to be pleasantly surprised but there's nothing in Nintendo's recent product development culture that would suggest otherwise. The Wii was a financial success and they got away with supporting it for 5 years. Why the hell would they do things differently? As long as they can put forward new uses and convince people these uses are more interesting than shiny graphics, they have zero reason to chase a better mousetrap.

Anyone expecting anything else are most likely setting themselves up for disappointment.

Pretty much. It's Team "WiiU ≈ 360/PS3" versus Team "WiiU ≥ 360/PS3" and we don't have much to go on either way.

My sources have led me to believe it will only be as powerful as an Amiga 1000. Nintendo is using it as sort of an olive branch to indie devs who like cutesy pixel grafx.

guek

Banned
Can you just post sources without dancing around?

This thread is terrible. *ashamed for coming back in here*

"Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation. It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model. We've always loved Nintendo. Now it's a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/valve-interested-in-wii-u-it-fits-better-into-our-scalability/

-Gabe Newell, Valve

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...l-accept-wii-u

"Regarding Zelda HD, Japanese developers said that it could not be replicated on other machines," Iwata said.

It was made in a relatively short period, so Iwata feels that HD development will not be a problem.

As a middleware provider and as a game developer it sure would be nice if all the different platforms were really similar for us – it would make it easier to work between them with maybe just a few differentiating features we could take advantage of. I'd hate to say that the Wii U is late; in fact, you could almost argue that it's early,

[Nintendo is] aiming for a point beyond the current generation – they're just not leapfrogging it. One can certainly envision a future a couple years down the road where we have some significantly leapfrogged generation and then the Wii U again becomes a system that's not easily portable between the other platforms. But honestly, I think the bigger challenge for us is mobile.

Mike Capps, president, Epic Games
http://www.qj.net/wii-u/news/epic-wii-u-is-either-too-late-or-too-early.html

bonus:
As for the latest round of tech that we do know about, Yerli may not be particularly taken with the PlayStation Vita (Jones is more diplomatic, and says Crytek will work with the machine when the timing is right and the interest from licensees is significant) but he's excited about the Nintedo Wii U.

The specs are very good," Yerli enthuses.

"It's a challenge for designers, but once thought through it can add value, and that's what ultimately important. Our guys in Nottingham they are very happy with their tests on the dev kits and they're excited about it."
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...postcount=7706

RagnarokX

Uh huh...

Right.

You guys will fight about anything won't you?
I just think it's silly to act like it's Wii all over again. It is disappointing if it's not a big leap over PS360, but Wii wasn't even a leap over GCN. This is an actual leap over it's predecessor, which means great things from first party. Plus the lack of the HD/SD barrier means WiiU will still be easy to port to if it doesn't pull off a PS2. We really should wait for E3 to decide.

border

Its rather questionable really, overclocking the same chipset does very little for you visually.

I thought that the Xbox was generally considered inferior to the Wii?

I could take it a step further and say that even though the Wii was more powerful that the GameCube, rarely did Wii titles exceed the graphical high watermarks of GameCube games like Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Starfox Adventures, Rogue Squadron, etc.

The horsepower in the WiiU won't matter if Nintendo creates a software market that does not encourage that horsepower to be used. A slight edge over the PS360 doesn't make a difference if developers are just porting or making casual shovelware.

I think he meant it won´t be 250$. That´s what he hinted at. I am betting 300$ at the least 400$ at the most. It depends how much the controller cost.
No way. Unless Wii U is full next gen upgrade spec wise it won't be anywhere near $400.

An "on par" with PS360 Wii U is going to be $249-299. Bet on it.

lednerg

There's more jumping to conclusions in this thread than a conspiracy theorists convention.

Again, we don't know the framerate of DS2 for Wii U compared to the PS360 versions.

We've known since last year that Vigil wouldn't upgrade the assets of the Wii U version unless it turned out to be massively powerful - which nobody was expecting in the first place. They also said that is mostly due to budget constraints.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Disappointing really, that Nintendo opted for hardware that will already be antiquated by the time the thing comes out. I was hoping the Wii U would just be somewhat underpowered.

This is the new Nintendo and that's why they've been bugging the crap out of me since after the Gamecube. They sell us 5-7 year old technology at a premium price. By limiting power, despite their new gimicks, they are stifling innovation. CPU/GPU power does a lot more than just provide pretty graphics.

That's why tonnes and tonnes of gameplay experiences just aren't possible on Nintendo consoles that are possible on others. No one is even taking advantage of a current mid-range PC _gameplay_ wise because they have to desigh for the lowest spec (PS360). Once that new generation arrives we'll see plenty of gameplay changes and tonnes of variety.

The more tools (read power, CPU/GPU) you give a GOOD game designer, the more they can do with it.

I hope this report is wrong and that the Wii U is at least substantially more powerful than a PS360 even though I know it won't be as powerful as a PS4Xbox3.

We should have had such a greater looking and playing Zelda experience already and that bothers me. Seeing that tech demo, we should be playing that (in cartoony design or realistic design or inbetween, whatever) right now. Instead we get a game possible on 9 year old hardware.

I would adore Nintendo if they just put a bit more power into their new consoles. To imagine what they would do with a properly specced hardware.. DROOOOL.

border

The Epic/Mike Capps quote seems more damning than people here take it to be. He essentially says that it won't be an issue porting between WiiU and other current consoles. Which would confirm that it isn't light years ahead.

JMPerona

What I understand from the video is that the game will look the same in all the consoles. They will take advantage of the Wii U controller but they will not implement the graphics, not because they cant but because they DONT WANT to do that.

I think there is a posibility to improve the graphics if the wanted to do that.

guek

Banned
The Epic/Mike Capps quote seems more damning than people here take it to be. He essentially says that it won't be an issue porting between WiiU and other current consoles. Which would confirm that it isn't light years ahead.

No one thinks Wii U is going to be light years ahead of the current gen. The only people saying that are other people accusing generic nonentities of being delusional.

Mike Capps also has a very ambitious outlook when it comes to PS4/Nextbox. Whether it's well founded or just his way of pushing for more power is really indeterminable, meaning people shouldn't try to read too much into anything he's saying.

The guy has had a huge boner for Wii U lately though. But again, whether that's because it's just another UE3 revenue stream or because he's legitimately impressed is unknowable - so people really shouldn't read into it either way.

Meier

Hmmm... wasn't there buzz about how it was much more powerful than the PS360? So much for that I guess.

I'd say that it doesn't confirm or deny anything really. It just sounds like they're not making an effort to make it better than the others so that it can be released on time in my mind. I'm sure the hardware will be fairly disappointing though.. this is Nintendo in 2012 after all. :(

Celine

This is the new Nintendo...
Yes and no.
Sure they have diverged the previous focus on graphics into other things but how they design a console with a clear budget and trying to profiting from day one is still there from the eighties.

From the SNES onward when nintendo tried to outdo competition on graphical power they always:
1) cutted out on features not considered priority ( SNES slow CPU, N64 lack of CDrom subsystem etc.) to beef up other areas.
2) waited 1/2 years from competition so components performance/cost ratio was naturally better.

Point one is still there, priorities are just different.
Point two is luckily gone, since it was one of the main culprit in Nintendo downfall in marketshare.

Top Bottom