• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen coming to PS4/XB1 (fall 2017)

Dragon's Dogma is one of my favorite games of all time. I've played it all the way through three times, plus a few partial playthroughs.

But I found Bitterblack Isle to be really dull. I couldn't even bother to finish it once. It lacks pretty much everything that made vanilla good.

Anyone else feel this way?
SIKE, you thought

Nope, you're alone in this

Seriously

SIKE, you thought

uJJjA0I.png

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
Woooooooooooo. Day one for a (potential) Scoprio version.

I'm ready to drop another 700 hours on this version like I did on 360. >_>;

klee123

Bitter Black Isle for me was so much more fun than the vanilla game. Maybe it's due to the less open world nature of the dlc, but it added so much more urgency to the battles and coming from say lvl 80-100, the dlc was a massive jump in difficulty which I liked. I always felt that BBI was what the everfall was supposed to be.

In also loved how it was infinitely replayable for loot and the random gear.

No? Only ported to pc and current gen consoles that's it

Dragon's Dogma!
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen!
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for PC!
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for PS4/XB1!
Bonus points: the microtransaction currency system for basic gameplay mechanics

You would think it would be guaranteed a sequel if it's got the kind of legs to keep it rereleasing like this, but maybe they know they'll never be able to top themselves.

mhayes86

It's been five years? My god.

I loved the vanilla game, but never played Dark Arisen. I may consider picking this up.

BigEmil

Dragon's Dogma!
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen!
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for PC!
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for PS4/XB1!
Bonus points: the microtransaction currency system for basic gameplay mechanics

You would think it would be guaranteed a sequel if it's got the kind of legs to keep it rereleasing like this, but maybe they know they'll never be able to top themselves.
Dark Arisen should've just be a DLC/update instead of a re-release, it contains very important changes many people requested plus dlc stuff, still this is a good move to replace the bad original especially while the original sold like shit

A game from last gen remastered to PC/PS4/XB1 is normal for any remastered game they just delayed the console versions a year later that's all it's still one port to three current platforms

Also on PC version atleast they removed the micro-transactions afaik so could be the same for PS4/XB1 too

jengo

I wouldn't be surprised if they still haven't broken even on original development costs. Hence the off-shoots rather than a sequel. The series deserves all the money I can throw at it, but the lack of a defined strategy besides a Japan-focused MMO doesn't give me confidence they feel they made the right choice trying to make this a global tent-pole series.

Dark Arisen should've just be a DLC/update instead of a re-release, it contains very important changes many people requested plus dlc stuff, still this is a good move to replace the bad original especially while the original sold like shit

A game from last gen remastered to PC/PS4/XB1 is normal for any remastered game they just delayed the console versions a year later that's all it's still one port to three current platforms

Also on PC version atleast they removed the micro-transactions afaik so could be the same for PS4/XB1 too

Whoa now. Let's not say things we'll regret.

BigEmil

Dragon's Dogma is one of my favorite games of all time. I've played it all the way through three times, plus a few partial playthroughs.

But I found Bitterblack Isle to be really dull. I couldn't even bother to finish it once. It lacks pretty much everything that made vanilla good.

Anyone else feel this way?
I wouldn't say it lacks everything that makes the game good but yeah I got bored and didn't finish it.

It's all the same dark dreary hallways with combat encounter after combat encounter. It's like
the Everfall
except not as conceptually interesting or grandiose.
I would have said the opposite myself. The Everfall was so simplistic and repetitive it almost felt like it'd been randomly generated, whereas BBI had wonderful design and atmosphere that felt very different from the rest of the game.

That said, I felt the vanilla game was more interesting; BBI was just a very nice change of pace in the latter stages of the game. It's what the Everfall was intended to be I think, BBI was just a realisation of that concept on a much bigger scale.

DMC5 coming through. Poor DD2..

https://i.redd.it/wa1fmzlkbozy.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
It hurts.
[quote="Psychoward, post: 238109508"]I wouldn't say it lacks everything that makes the game good but yeah I got bored and didn't finish it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, "everything" was an exaggeration, but the heart of what made DD special to me was the vibrant sense of adventure and the storybook world full of odd, interesting characters with their own stories and hardships. The combat is super fun and satisfying, but there are a lot of games with good combat.

[quote="endlessflood, post: 238116666"]I would have said the opposite myself. The Everfall was so simplistic and repetitive it almost felt like it'd been randomly generated, whereas BBI had wonderful design and atmosphere that felt very different from the rest of the game. [/QUOTE]
When I say "conceptually interesting", I'm talking about [spoiler]eternal vortex tunneling through worlds marked by fragmented chambers beyond time which the Arisen must navigate and master in order to ascend to godhood.[/spoiler] "Spooky ghost castle" just doesn't have the same draw to it.

When I say "conceptually interesting", I'm talking about
eternal vortex tunneling through worlds marked by fragmented chambers beyond time which the Arisen must navigate and master in order to ascend to godhood.
"Spooky ghost castle" just doesn't have the same draw to it.
I thought the whole Dark Arisen concept was a good one that introduced an interesting new wrinkle to the entire underlying mythos of the game. But I guess the "big hole in the ground" was good too :p

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Best WRPG is back, time to sit down Witcher 3.

I thought the whole Dark Arisen concept was a good one that introduced an interesting new wrinkle to the entire underlying mythos of the game. But I guess the "big hole in the ground" was good too :p
Fair enough :p

What class should i play this time? did the archer/ranger on my xbox.

Assassin is the best, but kind of similar to Ranger. Warrior is completely different, and the Arc of X skills are magnificent.

What class should i play this time? did the archer/ranger on my xbox.
If you don't try a Sorcerer in DD at some point then I reckon you're doing yourself a disservice. Everyone should get a chance to experience High Comestion, High Maelstrom, and Grand Bolide, just for the theatre :)

Svejk

(non-mmo) sequel when?
I mean, since they're FINALLY re-releasing this game, it can only mean that the sequel will be announced this year. Itsuno said it himself...
Sorry, DMC fans, but let us get a second DD first before you get your 5th DMC. It's only fair. Go play Bayonetta to hold you off till then.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Bitterblack Isle wasn't perfect, but it was definitely better than the main game. Perhaps because it did away with the main game's weakness - i.e. a sterile open-world adventure with poor world-building and dull characters - in favor of what arguably sets it apart from its contemporaries: an exciting battle-system with difficult encounters. Heck, even the story bits are better for being peppered throughout the dungeon with narrated journal entries that slowly reveal what BBI is about.

Dark Arisen essentially turned a mediocre open-world RPG into a great dungeon crawler. BBI's only real fault is that it could use more level variety, both in layout and themes. Also, Death can suck it.

To me, an ideal DD2 would expand on the BBI concept, with multiplayer co-op to boot, more balanced classes and stat distribution between classes, and less spell-charging time for mage-type characters. Or, if they have the budget, time and talent for it, try going open-world again, sure, but don't screw it up this time.

Auctopus

A friend of mine told me the game is more enjoyable/challenging if you only take one pawn with you? Would anyone agree with that?

A friend of mine told me the game is more enjoyable/challenging if you only take one pawn with you? Would anyone agree with that?
More challenging? Sure. More enjoyable? Depends on what you find enjoyable.

I'd say if you're looking for more challenge and not having a full party you might as well go all the way, get the Autonomy augment and take no pawns at all.

The original wasn't bad, far from it nor did it sell like shit. It may have underperformed but it wasn't a bomb

I bought DD on ps3 and didn't beat it.
I bought Dark Arisen on 360 and didn't beat it.

....... Temptation to purchase the game again and not beat it is rising!

And so, a new generation of idiots who don't set their Inclinations and Skills properly begins... The Cycle must continue.

Made in Japan, but it's not turn based JRPG. Are we really separating the genres by where they are made? Is W3 a PRPG?

Half the appeal is the unique cultural intricacies of Poland expressed in The Witcher, so yes, why not.

Top Bottom