• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

KKRT00

I might give it another go, I stopped playing ages ago. I'm wondering if the death penalty is still active? Once you got past level 80 dying once would cost you so much time it was disheartening to continue, especially with all the lag issues.

They decreased exp penalty by 5% i think and You will be able now level to 100 on docks, because they changed EXP Formula.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
They decreased exp penalty by 5% i think and You will be able now level to 100 on docks, because they changed EXP Formula.

Doing more Docks isn't an incentive to start playing again. Have they not finished the last act yet? I remember them saying it would be a few months away when I stopped playing which was ages ago.

Doing more Docks isn't an incentive to start playing again. Have they not finished the last act yet? I remember them saying it would be a few months away when I stopped playing which was ages ago.

They finished Act 3, if that's what you mean. It completes the main story arc of PoE and will leave the game open to future acts/expansions.

KKRT00

Doing maps is risky, so You have a choice - safe docks or risky maps.
I personally think that penalty is quite low for death in Softcore.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Doing maps is risky, so You have a choice - safe docks or risky maps.
I personally think that penalty is quite low for death in Softcore.

I don't think there should be a penalty at all in softcore, hardcore is there for people who want a challenge.

Perkel

Banned
I don't think there should be a penalty at all in softcore, hardcore is there for people who want a challenge.

Imo they should put in place monster respawn when character dies instead of losing exp.
That way there won't be death scumming at all.

Naturally if you will die boss health will reset and any open portal will close.

Something like Dark Souls.

JWong

Banned

The last act is act 9. =P

KKRT00

Imo they should put in place monster respawn when character dies instead of losing exp.
That way there won't be death scumming at all.

Naturally if you will die boss health will reset and any open portal will close.

Something like Dark Souls.

But in Dark Souls, You lose Your exp gain in that run :)

----
Btw nice Perker got demoted to junior and JWong got banned. Nice weekend xD

Haunted

OP made me do a double take. Well done!

Not Final, she's dead center

csR4r82.jpg
Path of Exile's skill tree is a thing of beauty.

syko de4d

i try to theorycraft my first char for 1.0.
Questions about Melee Splash:

-If i have Power Charge on Crit Gem does i have better chances to trigger it with melee splash and multiple enemies?
-The same with Life/Mana gain on hit effect?
-Do you think it will be the same for the Trigger Melee on Hit gem too?

I ask because i think Multistrike can only trigger on hit effects with the initial hit and maybe it´s the same for Melee Splash.

Perkel

Banned

-If i have Power Charge on Crit Gem does i have better chances to trigger it with melee splash and multiple enemies?

I ask because i think Multistrike can only trigger on hit effects with the initial hit and maybe it´s the same for Melee Splash.

I believe it works as 1 attack. I have multistrike + double strike + endurance charge on stun and it if i crit all 6 attacks from double strike crit if not no strike will crit alone.

Malee splash should work the same as Cleave and Double and dual strike. They are counted as 1 attack for defining crit or not or any other % based status.

BTW i reaaaaalllyyy love my character now. Currently on Cruel Act2. I will share more info when i will reach higher def. Currently after my main weapon upgrade i am plowing through monsters faster than i was doing normal.

Best upgrade for my role-playing build was to add what i wrote about multistrike+double strike+endurance charge on enemy stun.

It reaaaaaly works well even when i am surrounded and i don't really have good armor and es. If i will get surrounded i just switch on arctic shield, cast frost nova with fear support and roll with ultra fast double strike coupled with few leach items and nodes.

I don't know how it will be viable on merciless.

Raxious

Seeing as I'll be playing this game again when it releases next week, should I just install the client now or wait till it's on Steam?

KKRT00

- I'm pretty sure crits are calculated per attack, not per npc.
- Life on hit works on melee splash like on cleave, so per every npc hit
- dunno

---
Seeing as I'll be playing this game again when it releases next week, should I just install the client now or wait till it's on Steam?

Install it now, there wont be difference between launcher version and steam version. If you install it now, You will have to download just patch at Wednesday.

syko de4d

- I'm pretty sure crits are calculated per attack, not per npc.
- Life on hit works on melee splash like on cleave, so per every npc hit
- dunno

mhh i want to build a super fast 1hand attacker with frenzy and Avatar of Fire, who creates all charges super fast with trigger and power charge on crit gems and cast a extremly high fire/burn damage discharge. Will be interesting to see how fast he can actually build up all the charges, how often will endurance cry trigger? How much power charges will i get? :D

edit: and it would be funny if i get power charges with sth like "Cast on melee hit trigger gem + Power charge on crit + ice spear" xD

Gothos

If you don't care about Steam you can install it right away but if you wanna use Steam for PoE thatn wait for Wednesday - it has it's own client that is not compatibile with PoE client from their site.

KKRT00

mhh i want to build a super fast 1hand attacker with frenzy and Avatar of Fire, who creates all charges super fast with trigger and power charge on crit gems and cast a extremly high fire/burn damage discharge. Will be interesting to see how fast he can actually build up all the charges, how often will endurance cry trigger? How much power charges will i get? :D

edit: and it would be funny if i get power charges with sth like "Cast on melee hit trigger gem + Power charge on crit + ice spear" xD

I'm not sure, but that should work. Yeah, trigger gems are bonkers, i cant wait to test them out. They solve so many build problems in this game :) and make game faster.

---
If you don't care about Steam you can install it right away but if you wanna use Steam for PoE thatn wait for Wednesday - it has it's own client that is not compatibile with PoE client from their site.

Are You sure about that? I mean incompatibility of clients?

Perkel

Banned
I'm not sure, but that should work. Yeah, trigger gems are bonkers, i cant wait to test them out. They solve so many build problems in this game :) and make game faster.

---

Are You sure about that? I mean incompatibility of clients?

Steam version will have achievements and usual Steam stuff. I don't see how it can be standard client.

Steam version will have achievements and usual Steam stuff. I don't see how it can be standard client.

Not saying you are wrong about the client, as there are a lot of F2P titles that use a steam specific client for launching, but there are no achievements, at least not at launch.
If you think otherwise, just check the steam store page. They always list the client features.

syko de4d

You need to download a new client via steam
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1oior0/question_how_will_steam_installation_go/ccsh1dt

All GGPK files will have a slightly different layout.

This is because it's generated by the patcher based on what you need to download. Someone who went from version A to B to C will have a different layout then someone who went from version A to C directly.

The steam version has a layout that is designed to minimize the amount of patching required when going through steam (with it's diffing algorithms in mind).

So yes, unfortunately while they contain the same files, they are in a different order with different holes between them.

Here how merging between Steam and PoE account will work

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile..._how_will_the_account_merging_be_with/ccsfhp3
Here is how it actually works.

When using steam, you don't need additional log in information. The login and password boxes are not there on the steam version of the client and you are logged in automatically with your steam credentials.

The first time you log in with steam, you will be presented with two options.

- Type in a new Path of Exile account name to use with your steam account
- Link an existing Path of Exile account to your steam account.

If you pick the second option, you will need to supply your username and password, then you will be sent a confirmation email. You need to click the link in that email, and then then your old Path of Exile account and your Steam account will be merged.

From that point on, you don't have to supply login details any more. Just run the game with steam and it will log you in automatically.

Your old login details will still work with the non-steam client.

And there should be steam cards and stuff

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/541951

We're expecting to have Steam Trading Cards available.

Perkel

Banned

woohoo i don't need to retype my password and check email every time i login. It was annoying as fuck.

Yeah. Emailed GGG about the Steam region lock and got a reply. Basically they got nothing.

Glad I didnt fork any more support for the OB.

I want to make a CTF troll build that uses arctic breath with faster casting, GMP, slower projectiles, and increased duration. Then spam the shit out of the entire map for Chill effects.

Can You paste response? They dont know why its locked or what?

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Support. I'm afraid we are unable to give out any further information regarding Steam at this time. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you. If there's anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to let me know.

It's not fair when even Russia was briefly locked they quickly fixed that according to what I read.

Perkel

Banned
So, GAF, what's the verdict, now that we're 2 days away?

Verdict ? What Verdict ? You mean how we see game ?

I will only say it is better than Diablo2 and any other hack and slash game i have ever played.
Mechanics, progression system, skill&support system and what is most important loot is The best thing about it and those thing are most important parts about Diablo like game.

Simply D3 like it should have been from start. Direct evolution instead of shitty revolution like we had to deal with with not Blizzard North creation.

Also it is play-tested more than any other game before official release (i can only think of DOTA2 long beta) and game is constantly balanced and what is more important upgraded. From mechanic changing uniques to completely new skills.

Skill themselves provide vast array of game changing mechanics and combos. Coupled with passive skill tree it gives you simply the best most varied build system ever. From combos like Frezny + Flicker Strike, to Multishot+doublestrike+endurance on stun. You can make Frost nova that has Fear support ability or blinds target. With every new skill raw skill combinations meaning counting all skill combinations rise in BILIONS. From that billion i am sure that at least 15-30 combinations will be valid for gameplay.

I can't wait to see how game will upgrade over next year considering they upped their team to 30 people (from 15 year ago).

KKRT00

Verdict ? What Verdict ? You mean how we see game ?

He probably meant for GAF guild name

---
It's not fair when even Russia was briefly locked they quickly fixed that according to what I read.

Maybe they unlock it soon. You should send PM to any GGG dev via forum, not write to support :) I think its more an issue with Steam than GGG wanting to block people. Just play on normal client for a now, i'm definitely going for both clients, Steam for easier GAF group management and steam cards and normal client just in case Steam client is not polished enough.

Perkel

Banned
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1osqyx/new_players_from_steam/ccvh5at

Bad news for russia people that steam version is locked but the good news, they plan to give russia own servers and localisation.

This seems to me like Steam has some issues with Russia. It is not the first time something like this happened.

Or they will introduce different prices to different regions. 20$ for russian gamer is much more than for US or EU player considering wages there.

Well at least people there can use normal client.

I really hope that doesn't happen for us. I'm very happy to play on Singapore. I don't want them to implement IP lock then license the game to a local operator because they're all bad.

Perkel

Banned
I really hope that doesn't happen for us. I'm very happy to play on Singapore. I don't want them to implement IP lock then license the game to a local operator because they're all bad.

I think they just want to get Russian servers + they want to do something with pricing for market that doesn't have a lot of cash to spend per person.

Something like this already worked in Eastern Europe and i have no doubt work already in Russia.

I mean for example i bought The Witcher 2 for PC from retail for like 32$ new on day of premiere where in US was sold for 59$.

I don't think they will introduce iplock for their client. IP lock will be probably only for Steam version where their native client to keep US players from getting russia prices will work without IP lock

KKRT00

It will be new Russian gateway, but they can still be able to play with everyone in the world, its not Blizzard.

And there is always normal client, they wont ditch it, just because they are on Steam now.

The only reason Russia get their own gateways is because its enormous F2P market.

Top Bottom