• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Soulsborne games have over 130+ bosses. Best and Worst of them all?

silva1991

Micolash is a terrible boss, required almost zero skill and mindless chases. So boring.

It wasn't mindless. He takes particular paths pretty much every time unless he glitches out out or something.

That being said, I do think he was supposed to be the Old Monk of this game, but they scrapped it in the end for some reason.

Van Bur3n

Anyone else think Halflight from the Ringed City could make for a contender for the worst boss? I actually like the concept in that it is a PVP boss, but with the covenant for it not working properly the game couldn't find a player for me to fight so I ended up having to fight just normal Halflight who is perhaps the most pathetic NPC boss. Not to mention From nerfed the boss so you don't feel like much of a boss.

The amount of fuck up From had done with the boss, I probably consider it one of the worst. Such a good concept from Demon's Souls ruined.

Whales

Banned
right now my fave is probably Gael, but it does change every week
other honorable mentions:

Soul of Cinder
Midir
Micolash ( yeah, i actually like the setting for this dude. Fun fight)
Ludwig
Orphan of Kos

and countless more

worst one: royal rat authority garbage

runner up: bed of chaos

Probably Ludwig as the best, but maybe Lawrence, not entirely sure but they're both unbelievably good.

As for worst, well, Deacons of the Deep is well on top there, I don't know how they even thought that was anything akin to a boss. Top tier shit. Also Butthole face giant in DS2 was a load of crap, but at least he had the excuse of being the first boss.

The rat thing in DS2 (not RRA) was pretty much the same as Deacons of the Deep but worse

I_D

The Gaping Maw Dragon has one of the best designs I've ever seen in any video game. The fight itself is pretty decent, but the look of the enemy is top-notch.

gaping_dragonuhu33.png

I'll go with everybody else and say the Bed of Chaos is one of the worst. At least it's a super easy fight, so the torture doesn't last too long.

Best: Kalameet, from Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss. Genuinely a fair but very difficult fight, and it never felt cheap for a minute. I also love that you can cheat and get the giant to hobble the poor fella if you can't beat him in his full strength mode.

I was always under the impression this was the normal was to go about things, and being able to take him down yourself was for specific builds? Like, certain builds could NEVER be able to do that. Agreed though, Kalameet was one of my absolute favorites.

Best: Ludwig: The design, the music, the cutscene to and the second stage? I was screaming in my seat it was all so amazing. Also very difficult, but I only played it on NG+, (stupid move), so I can't give a fair assessment on that.
Soul of Cinder for the same reasons OP said.
Artorias because why wouldn't fighting Guts be amazing?
Lady Maria is also a personal favorite of mine for essentially feeling like a DMC boss.

Worst: Smelter Demon: Maybe it was the patch version I played but his hit boxes were garbage and he was just genuinely un fun to fight. Humanoid boss fight number umpteenth, this time with irritating fire AOE damage.
Micholash the chase fight, enough said there.
Bed of Chaos for obvious reasons again.

I don't even count the Ancient Dragon just because it felt like a bad extra boss fight for maxed out characters.

Some many bosses I am leaving out on both sides though. And I've never even touched Demon's Souls.

I have a hard time picking the best boss in the series. But the worst is an easy choice for me:

Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin (DS2). Between the boring mindless attacks and the horrible animation, the fight seemed more like FromSoft got 60% through designing a boss fight and just said "eh, that's fine. Ship it."

As a very close runner up:

The Gank Squad (DS2). It's literally just 3 normal NPCs. That's it. You could aggro shopkeepers and get the same experience.

Wagram

Best:

Fume Knight
Gwyn Lord of Cinder
Lorian and Lothric
Slave Knight Gael
Ludwig
Laurence
Ornstein and Smough
Mirror Knight
Maneater
Pontiff Sulyvahn
Soul of Cinder
Kalameet
Sinh
Sir Alonne
Sister Friede
Champion Gundyr

Worst:

The Witch of Hemick
Spear of the Church
Afflicted Graverobber, Ancient Soldier Varg & Cerah the Old Explorer
Living Failures
Celestial Emissary
Bed of Chaos

Just to name a few. The series is really good with bosses.

Nothing compares with Ludwig for me. The fight so cleverly subverts Bloodborne's "more monstrous second phase" trope by making Ludwig more lucid and human as he nears death.

He goes from a slobbering, thrashing beast to an heartfelt imitation of his former self. A once-proud knight whose sanity returned to him in the heat of battle, one of the most thematically brilliant moments in the series. Plus, best music ever that actually flows with the stages of the battle.

tumblr_o1ky5shbh61qdva9fo3_500.gif

Worst is Bed, at least most of the other crappy bosses are optional.

When I think about bosses that I like, I tend to think about unique fights or designs I particularly like. Difficulty is not usually something I care about, maybe because I've played through all these game so many times whatever initial frustrations I have with a boss is dulled.

I like "gimmick" bosses like Micolash, Gwyndolin and Wolnir. I like bosses that have methodical patterns and strategies like "dodge this attack, wait for the second hit, then can attack" kind of patterns - like Watchdog and Ludwig.

I don't really care for humanoid 'duel' type fights, I really do like big and weird monsters. I can totally understand why people like Maria, Sir Alonne etc - but they don't do it for me.
Dragon bosses: They all look cool but the ones that you spend most of your time chasing them done - Midir, Sinh, I just find tedious in how time consuming they are. Sinh has great music though.

laxu

Anyone else think Halflight from the Ringed City could make for a contender for the worst boss? I actually like the concept in that it is a PVP boss, but with the covenant for it not working properly the game couldn't find a player for me to fight so I ended up having to fight just normal Halflight who is perhaps the most pathetic NPC boss. Not to mention From nerfed the boss so you don't feel like much of a boss.

I don't think it's that bad. I think you will have a reasonably difficult time with him if you are not a dex character. That said, I would have preferred something more intimidating like summoning Havel. I mean
getting him as a random summon in Archdragon Peak is a bad situation when you are almost thru the already perilous route to the bonfire.

I'm currently playing DS2 and DS1's Bed of Chaos aside, DS2 is chock full of poorly done bosses. So many of them fall into the "big guy with weapon" class to the point that most of them can be defeated by just circling to the right side and giving a hit every once in a while. They really went for quantity over quality here yet there are still some great ones like Pursuer who keeps popping up.

The absolute best bosses are found in Bloodborne. Disgusting, intimidating, intense and tough thanks to the faster speed of the game. Hard to pick a single best one as there are so many along the way. Father Gascoine is the first great boss, Shadows of Yharnam are sweet, all the DLC bosses are great apart from Living Failures. Even the awful chalice dungeons have some really cool bosses.

Wagram

The amount of fuck up From had done with the boss, I probably consider it one of the worst. Such a good concept from Demon's Souls ruined.

Absolutely. The boss is terrible.

Linkark07

Banned
Best Bosses:

Slave Knight Gael. At first I hated him with a passion, but after a while, he started to grow with me. Dude is hard and relentless, but with patience it is possible to defeat him fair and square. Music is also superb.

Runner Up: Champion Gundyr. Dude was another monster too. Can't forget when he grabs you and then kicks you. But it feels so great fighting him.

Worst Bosses:

Bed of Chaos: everyone else has posted already why this is one of the worst bosses ever.

Runner Up: Capra Demon. Boring fight. Cheap tactics.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Best: Flamelurker - The first time I felt like i was going toe to toe with an enemy in the franchise, it really stuck with me. Such an awesome feeling when you take him down just using your weapon and dodging. It was a fight that taught me that cowering behind your shield isn't going to get you very far and some times you've gotta get gutsy.

Worst: Pinwheel - while I get that the point of the boss was that "getting to it" was the real challenge it was still such a non fight. If anyone died to this it was probably because they were being overly cautious and eventually he basically tanks the frame rate

Lynx_7

It's really hard to settle for one, honestly. Soulsborne has a lot of really solid fights so none sticks out in my mind as being particularly better than the others. I'll just divide them by games:

Demon's Souls: Old King Allant, by a considerable margin. Maiden Astraea for "narrative fight".
Dark Souls: Artorias and Kalameet. Manus and O/S are strong contenders too.
Bloodborne: This one is the hardest for me to choose. Gherman, Gascoigne, Ebrietas, Shadows of Yharnan... Too many good ones. Haven't played the DLC yet.
Dark Souls 3: Nameless King, Lothric and Lorian, Soul of Cinder. Closely following them is Champion Gundyr. This one is also really tough for me. DS 3 and BB compete for the throne of best bosses imo.

Haven't played DS 2 yet.
Worst boss fights are easily the Lechmonger thing from Demon's Souls and the Celestial Emissary. One is just not fun to fight and the other is just a very uninspired fight.

selo

Best: Toss up between Ornstein & Smough and Artorias. Both great fights!

Worst: Bed of chaos is the easy answer, but overall, pretty much most bosses in DS2 are underwhelming/uninspired.

Not having ever touched Bloodborne...

Best (not ranked in any particular order):

1. Ornstein and Smough
2. Manus
3. Fume Knight
4. Champion Gundyr
5. Slave Knight Gael

Worst:

1. Bed of Chaos (definitely the worst boss in the series. What a disaster.)
2. Ancient Dragon (incredibly dull patterns + absurd health + awkward hitboxes)
3. Champion's Gravetender and Gravetender Greatwolf (maybe premature, but I don't think the wolf's dash attack works in a game like this)
4. Covetous Demon (a boss?)
5. Prowling Magus and Congregation

KingBroly

Banned
At least Bed of Chaos had checkpoints.

The Bed of Chaos has checkpoints because it's so bad. The developers knew it sucked. It gives no satisfaction other than the relief of never having to deal with its' bullshit again, or for a very long time if you like doing Replays.

AJ_Wings

I have a hard time picking the best boss in the series. But the worst is an easy choice for me:

Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin (DS2). Between the boring mindless attacks and the horrible animation, the fight seemed more like FromSoft got 60% through designing a boss fight and just said "eh, that's fine. Ship it."

As a very close runner up:

The Gank Squad (DS2). It's literally just 3 normal NPCs. That's it. You could aggro shopkeepers and get the same experience.

Oh thanks! I just remembered the Gank Squad assholes. They & Capra Demon take the cake for worst bosses in the series.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Best: Nameless King from Dark Souls 3. It's a tense fight, but totally fair. It combines both a huge enemy (first form) and a humanoid-sized enemy with regular-ass attacks (second form), so you get the best of both worlds.

Worst: Darklurker. He's the reason I stopped playing Dark Soul 2. There was absolutely no way I could beat him with my melee character. Once he splits in two, it's over for me. I just can't focus on one copy, because the other nukes me to death. What a turd of a boss.

Best: Lady Maria

Unph! Dat moveset!

Worst: literally no clue how people could say this isn't the worst fight in soulsborne
Bed of Chaos.

NB. Its not a bad fight at all, but I'm always confused why people say O&S is a great fight.
I hate the way they clip through each other all the fucking time, really ruins the fight for me.

Best : Ludwig

Best Runner Ups: Soul of Cinder, Gael, Midir, Gerhman, Kos, Lothric Twins

Worst : Bed of Chaos.

Worst Runner Ups: Most of the bosses in Demon's Souls.

NEO0MJ

Worst: Darklurker. He's the reason I stopped playing Dark Soul 2. There was absolutely no way I could beat him with my melee character. Once he splits in two, it's over for me. I just can't focus on one copy, because the other nukes me to death. What a turd of a boss.

Really? I actually think it's one of the strongest fights in the series. Being able to track the two of them feels difficult but it's more than possible to beat.
I think this was the only main fight in the series where you couldn't summon help?

Steel

Banned
Worst has to be bed of chaos or ancient dragon. I hate bullshit gimmick bosses so goddamn much.

Best? Well, I had the most fun fighting Artorias. Great moveset and a tense fight. Ghermain and Gael came close to the same feels.

Hardest without being a gimmick boss, though, goes to Ludwig hands down. Loved the fight but it definitely wore me down.

the music + first phase mechanic + 2nd phase moveset = gasm.

abyss-watchers-be8d0.gif

Definitely a fun fight. If they buffed him a bit they'd be up there with my other favs.

linko9

I really liked Gascoigne as the first boss in BB. Good level of challenge, makes you learn some of the important mechanics, and sets the note really well for the game.

Surprised to see so many people saying Bed of Chaos. It wasn't really memorable for me, which is neither good nor bad. It was a gimmick fight, but there are a number of those, and this one was pretty easy.

Worst: Sunken King DLC Bosses

Gank Squad = Trash

Squalid Queen = Trash, unlimited summons of another boss, literally summons right after you kill it again and again

Donos

Manus is really underrated. Puts a lot of pressure on you with little breathing room between attacks. Loved fighting him. Artorias is also good but easy compared to manus.

NEO0MJ

Hardest without being a gimmick boss, though, goes to Ludwig hands down. Loved the fight but it definitely wore me down.

Ludwig is like the only boss in the series with a harder first phase due to how damaging it is in comparison to his second form. Doesn't help that I faced him immediately after finishing NG with a character that had thinly spread stats and low health. The jump attack was instakill for me.

Manus is really underrated. Puts a lot of pressure on you with little breathing room between attacks. Loved fighting him. Artorias is also good but easy compared to manus.

Artorias had a lot of hype going for him even before the DLC was announced and was very cool looking with a great theme.
Plus Manus could be cheesed a bit using the pendant.

pa22word

Definitely a fun fight. If they buffed him a bit they'd be up there with my other favs.

I can confidently say that about all of souls 3's bosses, but yeah that boss is the worst about it. You can kick his ass in like a minute without much problem due to how crappy his health bar is. Hell, I remember a video of someone glitching the dark Knight into the fight and the mother fucker actually kicked the bosses ass. I remember reading somewhere all the ds3 bosses got nerfed before release because from was upset over people's reaction to Gascoigne kicking the shit out of people who weren't playing bloodborne correctly until he forced them to. It really hurts the game because there's a lot of fights in ds3 that are very well designed that just don't have enough of a health bar and/or do enough damage to make them interesting. Hell wolnir second phase where he starts spawning enemies in and shit most people have never even seen before because he dies so fast that he can't even unfold properly as a boss.

Lothric Bros in particular would be a top 5 series fights if it didn't take 3 mins to kill them.

Ludwig is like the only boss in the series with a harder first phase due to how damaging it is in comparison to his second form..

I actually thought the Fume Knight was overall harder to fight in his first phase than his second. He hits way harder in his second phase, but (at least with my greatsword build) it's way harder to avoid taking hits in the first phase, to the point where wearing Velstadt's helmet makes the fight easier by starting you off in the "harder" second part..

Sayad

Since a lot are doing top five, this making picking the best easier:

In no order, top 5:

- Old King
- Kalameet
- Ludwig
- Artorias
- Lady Maria

That's 4 to 1 for DLC bosses. :D

Worst five:

- Bed of Chaos
- Ancient Dragon
- Rat Authority
- Chalice dungeon Darkbeast Paarl(This and RA aren't made)
- Most of the "here's a group of random normal enemies, lets call this encounter a boss fight" which those games does a lot.

Best: Fume Knight - Dark Souls II
20%20-%20Fume%20Knight.jpg

Hands down the best fight in the series. Never raged at this boss because there's nothing to rage about. His fierce attack pattern has enough telegraphs that any hit you take will almost certainly be your own fault. Couple that with a cool design and lore, and you have the best boss in the series.

Worst: Lud and Zallen - Dark Souls II
9I1ZfsL.jpg

You know Aava, that hard-but-awesome boss guarding the way to Alsanna? Well, here's two of them whose attack patterns clearly aren't adjusted to make the boss fair, and you also have to make your way through the single worst area in the entire series. Have fun with that!

laxu

Abyss Watchers are fun but they just need more poise so they can't be stunlocked with any fast weapon. First time playing I tried the fight many times wielding something heavier and slower and got my ass handed to me until I swapped to a Dark Sword (pre-nerf).

Best is either Soul of Cinder or Knight Artorias. - I wanna give a special shoutout to my guy Slave Knight Gael too.

Worst is either Darkeater Midir from Ringed City or Gank Squad... I mean seriously...

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The Bed of Chaos has checkpoints because it's so bad. The developers knew it sucked. It gives no satisfaction other than the relief of never having to deal with its' bullshit again, or for a very long time if you like doing Replays.

Oh, I don't disagree at all, it's a godawful boss. But the checkpoints allow you to complete it pretty quickly and with a reasonable chance of not dying. With Ancient Dragon, meanwhile, screw up once, get unlucky ... have fun redoing the whole damned fight.

Only played DS3 and BB to completion so far so I'll only comment on those

Best: Ludwig the Accursed/Holy Blade.

Worst: Ancient Wyvern because it isn't really a boss you fight. If we aren't counting that, maybe Wolnir.

Aim_Ed

Am I the only one surprised that there's 130+ bosses?

I've beaten all of them but I would've guessed less than half of that.

NEO0MJ

I actually thought the Fume Knight was overall harder to fight in his first phase than his second. He hits way harder in his second phase, but (at least with my greatsword build) it's way harder to avoid taking hits in the first phase, to the point where wearing Velstadt's helmet makes the fight easier by starting you off in the "harder" second part..

Oh yeah, I remember a lot of people saying the same about his first form as well. Something that probably adds to the dificulty with these bosses is how much of a gear switch they are. Usually most bosses if they have a second phase add attacks and become more aggressive but here it's like they tagged out for a completely different boss so it might throw your rhythm off.

Worst is either Darkeater Midir from Ringed City or Gank Squad... I mean seriously...

I'll give the Gank Squad that they at last have a pretty cool arena (which feels wasted on them) and a great theme (also wasted on them)

Neptonic

I haven't finished DS1 and haven't personally played any other souls game yet but DS2 has Skeleton Lords and that's a dope ass name

I beat Capra Demon on my first try, and liked the "fuck you" boss arena, so he's probably my favorite. The fight against that Golom with BLACK IRON TARKUS is dope too.

Mxrz

I still think Demon's Souls did it best.

The Old Monk - At the time, unheard of. Unexpected. Best of all, it was very likely you would be summoned before you made it to the boss gate yourself. One of my best gaming moments.

Maiden Astraea - Subverting the concept of a boss fight once again. Boring if you aren't paying attention to the lore, but pretty special if you are. You, the player, are once again the boss. This coming at the end of 5-3, which was usually one of - if not the - last boss before the end segment and the final choice made it all the better.

False King - Really more a part of 1-4. Climbing the tower. All the enemies. Dragons. Ostrava. The long elevator. Then the boss murdering and/or level draining you, and getting to do it all over again. Always been convinced this segment is where I "got gud" by repetition. Which made later Souls Games so much easier.

The worst would probably be one of the easy, forgettable bosses. All the games had a couple.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Best: Ludwig from Bloodborne. It's effectively two excellent boss fights put into one, both very challenging but in very different ways. It also brings in a lot of lore from a significant character in the series. It's the brilliance of the Artorias boss fight but refined even further.

Runner ups are Lady Maria from Bloodborne, Artorias from DS1, Soul of Cinder and the Nameless King from DS3.

Worst: Royal Rat Authority from DS2. This probably wasn't so bad if you had lots of poise or something, but to some builds it was just not fun at all. Here, let's have a bunch of small adds stunlock the shit out of you while this huge ass boss finishes you off. Fun!

Runner up is the Bed of Chaos.

Is it bad that I don't remember the DS2 gank squad at all even though I finished the game? Where was this? Was it in the DLC?

Top Bottom