• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing it through the Duty Finder, so I assume it's synched. I don't know if I'm going to get to do it tonight or not. I've been waiting 45 minutes for it to form a party.

Edit: Dammit. Finally got a full group of people and someone withdrew at the last minute. Now It's starting all over again.

If someone withdraws it doesn't restart from the beginning. It will keep the group it found and search for one person to fill.

Which means when someone doesn't confirm you will usually get another pop within the minute.

Luigi87

Did Garuda (Extreme) for the first time tonight.
... These mechanics are getting more complicated by the fight, and as a healer, I had the easier job x_x

Edit: Oh, unlocked Coil as well. Didn't expect that, lol

I don't know how to do that. I have never made a group in Party Finder.

Open Party Finder in the Party menu to get this window:

pjXi7lH.png

Click Recruit Members at the bottom to get this window:

2MTJkGv.png

Then just edit as you need. The Objective drop-down will let you specify what you're doing.

Did Garuda (Extreme) for the first time tonight.
... These mechanics are getting more complicated by the fight, and as a healer, I had the easier job x_x

Edit: Oh, unlocked Coil as well. Didn't expect that, lol

lol, just wait until you get to the Heavensward trials. They make Titan EX (by far the hardest ARR primal) feel like Cape Westwind in comparison.

How do you make it unsycned?

Check the "undersized party" option in the duty finder settings.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
lol, just wait until you get to the Heavensward trials. They make Titan EX (by far the hardest ARR primal) feel like Cape Westwind in comparison.

Check the "undersized party" option in the duty finder settings.
This. One thing to remember if you never used PF - like the name suggest, it's just a tool for finding the party. To access the duty/trial/raid, you still have to use the Duty/Raid finder.

It's a shame they kept the assassin bit in the HS main intro, I've just done all that bit and it would have been proper HOLY SHIT.

Some of the way it was handled was abit comic book villainy but it was cool.

Does this uldah stuff get wrapped up in HS?

What the hell alphinauds voice actor has changed haha

It's a shame they kept the assassin bit in the HS main intro, I've just done all that bit and it would have been proper HOLY SHIT.

Yes.
In a very underwhelming manner.

Caj814

Keep playing. You'll get resolutions to most of the problems presented in that finale.

Yes.
In a very underwhelming manner.

Indeed

Man I hope they let us buy the Zurvan bird in tuesday's patch. I don't wanna go into that salt mine anymore. =(

It would at least be tolerable if his music was awesome like Seph's and Sophia's, but everything about the fight is so damn boring and grating.

Caj814

I'm waiting until 4.0 to (hopefully) low man farm the rest of the birds. I have yet to get clears due to so many pugs falling apart before a single kill.

IvorB

For what it's worth, there's room to "simplify" gear in the sense of being less vague about stats. It's a lot easier to know how much secondaries matter when you actually have an idea of what they represent in real increases and not "neat, I now have 46 SSPD and before had 0."

...because, yeah, I'm not entirely sure what room they have to simplify things, especially if they're removing Accuracy.

Eh. There's a lot of people asking about how to stat their relics or have no real concept of BiS or stats in general so it's not terribly surprising. The discrepancy that exists between players, without any gear differences, is certainly a thing; the amount of people who think they're doing everything "perfect" since there's no real feedback system is definitely a thing they've been wanting to target. Whether or not it gets people to actively care is another thing, however.

It's hard to see raising the floor as anything but a good thing for most people, really. Until actual information hits, it's also hard to see it as a case of the skill ceiling come crashing down. There's a chance they take it too far but for most part, it's probably for the best to shrink the gap in the playerbase rather than making it wider.

Well if they are talking about introducing more transparency to things like spell speed and crit that would be great and should have been done a long time ago. Even then, the suffocating lack of actual choices makes it moot. But it's a bit worrying that simplification is their top priority for gear in this game considering how many other things are wrong with it.

Gear right now is kind of the worst of both worlds--things like skill speed and spell speed thresholds aren't actually spelled out anywhere, Parry is a straight up garbage stat, Accuracy is a secret number that has to be uncovered every raid tier and has basically doomed healers to melding a ton given they no longer get accuracy on gear, secondary stat inflation is becoming a thing, etc etc etc.

Like with skill streamlining, a lot is going to depend on how dumb they think we are, essentially. You can kind of trace a solid line through the expansion of them trying to find a level the player base is comfortable with (A3S stress because of DPS and mechanics got us Thordan EX or 'DPS Doesn't Matter Just Do The Mechanics Already', people loved it which got us Midas' relatively lenient DPS checks but heavy mechanics checks, it bombed out (in part because Thordan let you die a million times and clear, Midas did not), which gave us Creator's relatively lenient all the things, which was a huge success, which probably gave us Zurvan.) Ideally all the streamlining and changing they're doing will let them actually focus in on turning the SB content cycle into escalating difficulty that the player base will feel engaged/challenged by, as opposed to what happened in HW.

I'd love to see them get more creative with gear, but all of Heavensward has basically been a lesson to the dev team to keep it simple, and if dumbing down the gear side of things ultimately lets them focus on delivering satisfying content it's probably worth it. The options we have now aren't really options anyway. If you don't raid you have one gearset. If you do raid, your job probably has a pretty concrete BiS you're aiming for and most of your gear-up path to BiS is just going to be meeting acc caps.

Gear is really bad in this game. And addressing the main issues I have with it (lack of choice and customisation) would increase the complexity which is opposite of what they said they want to do. So not much hope from me on this. Because I really don't think a gear system could be even more dumbed down that this so I'm amazed that's what they are focusing on.

Arkeband

Banned
Even with the inception of jump potions, they need to do something about 2.1-2.55.

• Put an aetheryte in Vesper Bay, or at least construct one after the 2.0 storyline. This is one of the biggest complaints people have. The game knows it sucks so much that they eventually picked up and moved right next to an aetheryte.
  • Remove padding quests, e.g. if there are 12 quests, MSQ 200-212, and 204-208 have no exposition, cut them out and link 203 to 209.
This would dramatically ease the daunting 100+ quest gauntlet that they put people through at 50.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Even with the inception of jump potions, they need to do something about 2.1-2.55.

• Put an aetheryte in Vesper Bay, or at least construct one after the 2.0 storyline. This is one of the biggest complaints people have. The game knows it sucks so much that they eventually picked up and moved right next to an aetheryte.

• Abso-fucking-loutely. No Aetheryte in the place that you spend a large portion of the ARR story was a monumentally stupid decision.

Also, I don't care if it doesn't make sense lore-wise, put a fucking aetheryte somewhere in the Hinterlands that isn't Idyllshire. Trying to get anywhere in the Hinterlands while doing the HW story is a pain in the ass because you have to teleport to Idyllshire, which always loads slow as hell due to the fact that it's always super populated, then go aaaaall the way out one of the two exits, then finally be on your way to wherever you're going.

dramatis

Monks used (??) to use Fracture.
Monks previously used Fracture.
Previously, monks used Fracture.
Monks used Fracture previously.

I'm just kidding... :p

2.4 is REALLY good so far. I've been having a blast this week compared to 2.1 through 2.3. Hahaha. I'll post more but I kinda want to collect my thoughts on 2.x in general after finishing through 2.55. There's A LOT to like about FFXIV, but I also think that it's very transparent where they had to cut corners and pad content.
The patches for 3.0 got cut even more. FF15 got our sub money to fund all of its unnecessary transmedia nonsense

and a car, I guess

Yeah, I'm up to the Hinterlands for Anima now, and it would be super nice to have some way to get there quickly that's not fucking Idyllshire.

Yeah, I'm up to the Hinterlands for Anima now, and it would be super nice to have some way to get there quickly that's not fucking Idyllshire.

Teleport to Anyx in forelands, exit the tower structure and take a hard right. It's a little bit of distance, but at times it's better than waiting a full minute for the game to load me into Illdyshire.

Arkeband

Banned
Stormblood's story will be fine as long as they commit to whoever will be the Big Bad. Because, and I'm being very vague here because I know we have newbies in attendance, it definitely went back and forth, especially after the 3.0 story concluded. Nidhogg really did feel like
an afterthought and never even achieved 'menace' status because we killed him halfway through 3.0 and then killed him again halfway between 3.0 and 3.5. He's like the Kael'thas of FFXIV, we're more concerned with his stupid eyeballs than the hate-consumed immortal being they belong to.

I mean, in one cutscene he showed up to
menace Ishgard, attacked a dragon so viciously that it sprayed blood all over our beautiful mural of reconciliation, and then not only did the dragon survive one scene later, but Nidhogg just leaves.
Why?! WHY?!

Heartfyre

Stormblood's story will be fine as long as they commit to whoever will be the Big Bad. Because, and I'm being very vague here because I know we have newbies in attendance, it definitely went back and forth, especially after the 3.0 story concluded. Nidhogg really did feel like
an afterthought and never even achieved 'menace' status because we killed him halfway through 3.0 and then killed him again halfway between 3.0 and 3.5. He's like the Kael'thas of FFXIV, we're more concerned with his stupid eyeballs than the hate-consumed immortal being they belong to.

menace Ishgard, attacked a dragon so viciously that it sprayed blood all over our beautiful mural of reconciliation, and then not only did the dragon survive one scene later, but Nidhogg just leaves.
Why?! WHY?!

Not happening. We already have one Big Bad in Ala Mhigo, most definitely another out in Doma/Othard, and maybe even another in Kugane. There are so many vying parties in FFXIV that there's always the risk that not all of them will get the space they need.

And despite the points you make, the final battle in 3.3 is still the third-best dramatically-compelling event in the whole game (hopefully fourth-best after next week's cliffhanger). The big cutscene and the Final trial capped off the events of Heavensward in masterful fashion, I thought. It felt important and conclusive. At the time, at least.

Moaradin

Unfortunately for me, Verizon Fios fixed whatever bottleneck I used to have, so now I'm probably going to end up having one again. Blizzard games are nearly unplayable with dropping packets every 5-10 seconds.

I noticed this as well. This game was nearly unplayable during peak times with Verizon. Lasted a good year or so. Had to use programs like WTFast or Battle Ping to get it where I needed it for raids. I haven't had to use them for a little while now, ever since Verizon turned into Frontier.

Really hope this server change doesn't bring things back to the old days.

Why?! WHY?!

Yup. I agree with everything here. I was also baffled at that scene
in which Nidhogg attacks the other dragon. Not only did the attack barely made sense, but Nidhogg didn't even kill the other dragon. In the scene after, she's just recovering from minor injuries almost like nothing had happened. Like, what was the fucking point to that scene?

As much as Heavensard's story was more interesting and focused than 2.0's, it was still all over the place and poorly told. Stormblood needs to fix that shit.

Not happening. We already have one Big Bad in Ala Mhigo, most definitely another out in Doma/Othard, and maybe even another in Kugane. There are so many vying parties in FFXIV that there's always the risk that not all of them will get the space they need.

And despite the points you make, the final battle in 3.3 is still the third-best dramatically-compelling event in the whole game (hopefully fourth-best after next week's cliffhanger). The big cutscene and the Final trial capped off the events of Heavensward in masterful fashion, I thought. It felt important and conclusive. At the time, at least.

The issue is not that there are multiple parties, it's how the story deals with them. The story's presentation is at fault here, not its content. Take Heavensward. Everything seemed to be fine up until
the conclusion to 3.0's story, when the game wouldn't commit to Nidhogg's death. This was HW's first mistake. Then the story introduces the Warriors of Darkness, which are a great idea, but instead of sticking with that story until its conclusion, it leaves it halfway through to go back to Nidhogg, and then after it goes back to the Warriors.
This just makes for bad pacing and hampers the enjoyment of the story.

The game needs to stop juggling multiple stories at the same time. Tell one, then move to another. Note that the story can introduce antagonists and hint at stories-to-come early on; that's fine. But it shouldn't make those stories progress enough that the player invests himself in them only to abruptly pause them for months.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

• Remove padding quests, e.g. if there are 12 quests, MSQ 200-212, and 204-208 have no exposition, cut them out and link 203 to 209.
This would dramatically ease the daunting 100+ quest gauntlet that they put people through at 50.

About Vesper Bay, the easiest way to get there was to TP to Limsa, then TP to the arcanist guild, run to the ship ride NPC to purchase a boat ride to Vesper Bay. But yeah, there needed to be a Crystal there. It's not like the game is limited to having only 1 crystal per zone, as multiple zones have 2.

IvorB

Why?! WHY?!

This is my issue with the story at the moment and why I have zoned out a bit in later HW patches. It has no teeth. Stuff happens and then is almost immediately walked back. People would probably take villains more seriously if they showed up and killed a
few scions and they stayed dead
. In a post Game of Thrones world we want to see consequences that stick.

Why?! WHY?!

They explained in that scene that it was
intimidation of dragonkind on Nidhogg's part. It was meant to send a message, sort of like cutting off a finger

They explained in that scene that it was
intimidation of dragonkind on Nidhogg's part. It was meant to send a message, sort of like cutting off a finger

This would have made sense if
Nidhogg had actually killed the other dragon and had stopped the peace treaty from being signed. Neither happened. So that scene was pointless.

Also, the scene alluded to a sense of uneasiness amongst the population about signing the treaty. This would have been fine if the game had built a story around that. But it didn't. The game never followed up on that.

This would have made sense if
Nidhogg had actually killed the other dragon and had stopped the peace treaty from being signed. Neither happened. So that scene was pointless.

He did stop the peace treaty from being signed, as well as harden the heart of Ishgardians against the dragons. It was only after Nidhogg's spirit was finally slain that the peace accord was able to go through.

Silav101

Regardless of all the spoilers above, I still feel the best musical piece in the game is in
Final Steps of Faith - Nidhoggstinien phase.
In general, the build-up, climax, and denouement of that fight, through the story and cutscenes, elevates it above all the rest.

Why that particular bit of music is NOT on an Orchestrion roll makes me seethe with discontent.

I suppose others would say Answers is superior, but having only started playing in Heavensward, I have no emotional bond with the whole Bahamut storyline.

It also doesn't help that I just prefer Dragonsong to Answers, on a purely musical enjoyment basis.

EDIT:

Speaking of music, the latest music album is up for pre-order - covers music from patch 3.2 -> 3.5. I can only hope it has the piece of music I mentioned above.

EU: here
NA: here

JFC, SquEnix, 20 euros for delivering a goddamn blu-ray. I don't need or want DHL 3-day delivery argh~

PRE-ORDERED AS FAST AS A LALA PLAYING DEAD.

ebil

Regardless of all the spoilers above, I still feel the best musical piece in the game is in
In general, the build-up, climax, and denouement of that fight, through the story and cutscenes, elevates it above all the rest.

Why that particular bit of music is NOT on an Orchestrion roll makes me seethe with discontent.

I suppose others would say Answers is superior, but having only started playing in Heavensward, I have no emotional bond with the whole Bahamut storyline.

It also doesn't help that I just prefer Dragonsong to Answers, on a purely musical enjoyment basis.

EDIT:

Speaking of music, the latest music album is up for pre-order - covers music from patch 3.2 -> 3.5. I can only hope it has the piece of music I mentioned above.

JFC, SquEnix, 20 euros for delivering a goddamn blu-ray. I don't need or want DHL 3-day delivery argh~

I'm with you, Final Steps part 2 is an amazing piece. The way it syncs with the boss' moves in EX is incredible (you'll know if you've ever healed or tanked it and are sensitive to rhythm I guess) and makes this fight one of my favorites to actually play through.

Cmagus

EDIT:

Welcome to the SE store, hands down one of the crappiest and poorest customer service store around. In Canada its $34 for shipping and when I bought the last one it took over a month to come. I hope it goes up on iTunes like the last few I'll just buy it there.

Silav101

Yall are crazy, phase 3 music is the best

Well, all the phases have amazing music, to be fair. I like how each phase's music has a thematic alignment to it:

Phase 1:
Dragonsong, since you are fighting Nidhogg, and Dragonsong is Hydaleyn questioning why we are even fighting, in the first place
Phase 2:
GOAT version of Heavensward, the part of the song where the soldiers and floortanks are singing their view of the Dragonsong War
Phase 3:
Revenge of the Horde, which is the part of the Heavensward leitmotif where the dragons are singing about how they're gonna kick your goddamn ass and Akh Morn all you sons-of-lalafells

Squishy3

Yup. I agree with everything here. I was also baffled at that scene
in which Nidhogg attacks the other dragon. Not only did the attack barely made sense, but Nidhogg didn't even kill the other dragon. In the scene after, she's just recovering from minor injuries almost like nothing had happened. Like, what was the fucking point to that scene?

As much as Heavensard's story was more interesting and focused than 2.0's, it was still all over the place and poorly told. Stormblood needs to fix that shit.

The issue is not that there are multiple parties, it's how the story deals with them. The story's presentation is at fault here, not its content. Take Heavensward. Everything seemed to be fine up until
the conclusion to 3.0's story, when the game wouldn't commit to Nidhogg's death. This was HW's first mistake. Then the story introduces the Warriors of Darkness, which are a great idea, but instead of sticking with that story until its conclusion, it leaves it halfway through to go back to Nidhogg, and then after it goes back to the Warriors.
This just makes for bad pacing and hampers the enjoyment of the story.

The game needs to stop juggling multiple stories at the same time. Tell one, then move to another. Note that the story can introduce antagonists and hint at stories-to-come early on; that's fine. But it shouldn't make those stories progress enough that the player invests himself in them only to abruptly pause them for months.
Re: End of Heavensward:

3.0 spoilers:
Anyone who did the Dragoon job quest could've told you that Estinien was going to get possessed by Nidhogg... because it happened in the level 50 job quest with just the one eye and with a heavy focus on him in Heavensward the writing was on the wall. :p So when it was revealed Nidhogg never even had any of his eyes and was using Hraesvelgr's... well. The setup was in the game, you just didn't see it if you weren't a Draggon.

Monks previously used Fracture.
Previously, monks used Fracture.
Monks used Fracture previously.

The patches for 3.0 got cut even more. FF15 got our sub money to fund all of its unnecessary transmedia nonsense

and a car, I guess
The only one I could even remotely say that's true for is 3.1 since it doesn't even have a dungeon with it and an EX primal.... 5 months after the expansion came out. (And old Diadem HAHA)

Outside of the amount of instanced content, the patches are about the same size in regards to MSQ length, they just removed the endless filler quests from the MSQ (they weren't present in the HW MSQ either and were instead relegated to moogle sidequests. If HW questing was like ARR questing you would've been doing moogle sidequests as part of the MSQ for 3 levels)

dabig2

All this spoiler talk and I'm still trying to finish up ARR main quest lol.

Just did the Cape Westwind trial in that storyline. I was all psyched up because this is the first 8 man party for me and I'm finally using my WAR outside of solo content...and then the fight lasted literally less than 30 seconds. Damn.

Re: End of Heavensward:

3.0 spoilers:
Anyone who did the Dragoon job quest could've told you that Estinien was going to get possessed by Nidhogg... because it happened in the level 50 job quest with just the one eye and with a heavy focus on him in Heavensward the writing was on the wall. :p So when it was revealed Nidhogg never even had any of his eyes and was using Hraesvelgr's... well. The setup was in the game, you just didn't see it if you weren't a Draggon.

yeah, that's another issue. Some of Heavensward's story setup was optional. I saw it, as I'm a Dragoon, but most didn't.

I'm going to do the Monk storyline before Stormblood comes out, lol, in case they pull that shit again.

rubius01

Or you could just go to amazon.co.jp

Redx508

Just did the Cape Westwind trial in that storyline. I was all psyched up because this is the first 8 man party for me and I'm finally using my WAR outside of solo content...and then the fight lasted literally less than 30 seconds. Damn.

lol

Edzi

That trial made me laugh so goddamn hard when I did it last week.

I'm with you, Final Steps part 2 is an amazing piece. The way it syncs with the boss' moves in EX is incredible (you'll know if you've ever healed or tanked it and are sensitive to rhythm I guess) and makes this fight one of my favorites to actually play through.

You mean like how the music
syncs up with the Akh Morns? I always liked how they timed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom