• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with Incredible Texture Work. - Post Images!

ymmv

Banned
Skyrim has some pretty great textures. Especially with mods.

I actually think the original textures are better because they don't suffer from oversharpening. I don't understand why gamers want extreme sharpness and detail whereas movie fans who want the best visual fidelity turn the sharpness level on their tv's as low as possible.

It doesn't make a game look more realistic, on the contrary. This is just as bad as those old Unreal games where every surface was made of plastic, extreme bloom, piss filters, etc.

Can someone post a pic of Master Chief holding the plasma pistol in Halo:CE? His gloves look AMAZING, especially when charging the pp.

Wonko_C

I actually think the original textures are better because they don't suffer from oversharpening. I don't understand why gamers want extreme sharpness and detail whereas movie fans who want the best visual fidelity turn the sharpness level on their tv's as low as possible.

It doesn't make a game look more realistic, on the contrary. This is just as bad as those old Unreal games where every surface was made of plastic, extreme bloom, piss filters, etc.

movie fans like myopia? That's why I don't like going to the cinema and prefer watching on my home so I don't have to deal with the vaseline-smeared big screens (I never understood why they have to be so blurry). My nearsightedness is enough as it is.

Quantic Dream does a good job with this, since visuals are their top priority.

Beyond (Insane Bullshots):
20429beyond_screen_13zrymm.jpg

20426beyond_screen_10iny1w.jpg

20427beyond_screen_117plfj.jpg

Character stills:

Beyond (Ingame, all direct feed except the first one):
vlcsnap-2013-01-18-20gaum3.png

110ufl.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-08-23-21liudm.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-18-20b3uxi.png

Lime

Vampire: Bloodlines had some nice stand-out textures in the form of paintings for its time:

vampire2011-02-1220-56lu9z.png

normal_7064q0urf.jpg

Although that isn't that remarkable, seeing how it's simply a normal map.

EGM1966

movie fans like myopia? That's why I don't like going to the cinema and prefer watching on my home so I don't have to deal with the vaseline-smeared big screens (I never understood why they have to be so blurry). My nearsightedness is enough as it is.

Where on Earth do you go to the cinema? A properly projected and focused 35mm print shouldn't look like that.

On topic a bit more LittleBigPlanet textures were great.

engineer-final02.jpg

This is still my all time favorite texture. This was back when games had horribly textured models. I think this was a quake 3 character that BoBo made.

The Witcher 2: The Thread

Those Halo shots in the OP actually show a pretty low resolution texture that sits under a heavily tiled bump map that's being used as a sort of "detail map" like the ones you'd see in an early 2000s PC game.

Not that it's a bad idea or anything, just a common use of a common technique.

shhhhhhhh

First thing I thought too

Vamphuntr

Resident Evil Revelations (character models):

997778_20110815_screen001.jpg

997778_20110815_screen003.jpg

997778_20110608_screen002.jpg

997778_20110608_screen003.jpg

The most impressive part is these models are the models used in-game. Handheld texture bliss.

EDIT: Here are some screens with environments (these are slightly above native rez):
game_cha4_img_l1.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D384

2652e5e9a6dc691f66d5da30c385776b.jpg%3Fv%3D216000

onthestairs.jpg

880876f5e5f44d59fa568983d67a785d.jpg

13.jpg

They don't look like that at all in the game :S

Models in the games are actually much simpler with less details. In Jill's case you can actually see the not so smooth geometry on her back if you look closely during gameplay.

Even then it seems they are pretty taxing for the hardware as characters' face don't move when they talk during gameplay. Guns' textures are also hideous too.

Pretty sure that's Deus Ex Human Revolution.

edit : Sarif Industries on the machine.. yeah. DX:HR

Ah thanks. I actually have Deus Ex Human Revolution on Steam, but its been sitting in my game backlog for a while now. I really need to get around to playing this one.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The game looks far better in screenshots than it does in motion for some reason.

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2010/06/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Screenshot-04.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://lazytechguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Screenshot-14.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

People have been murdered for posting shots with half of the jpg compression found in those screenshots in the official PC screenshot thread.

Bombadil

Banned
People have been murdered for posting shots with half of the jpg compression found in those screenshots in the official PC screenshot thread.

Unfortunately, I don't have my STEAM account on this computer. Otherwise I would have loaded up the game and posted some cool screens.

But my point about the game's visuals stands. It looks really great in screens, but even maxed out, the game looks shitty in motion. The sky is extremely low res. The variety within each district/city is lacking.

JordanN

Banned
They don't look like that at all in the game :S

Models in the games are actually much simpler with less details. In Jill's case you can actually see the not so smooth geometry on her back if you look closely during gameplay.

Even then it seems they are pretty taxing for the hardware as characters' face don't move when they talk during gameplay. Guns' textures are also hideous too.

Talking is taxing? I always assumed it was either a budgetary or just being lazy, action.

Bear

The Metroid Prime series has some great texture work.

I'm not sure about the Gamecube games, but I remember Retro saying that the textures in Corruption were all individually crafted for their environments. The game had a really wide variety of textures without much repetition, and I think it gave it a really organic look.

It's definitely one of the best looking Wii games. Obviously it doesn't pack nearly as much detail as games now, but I'm excited to see what they have in store for the Wii U.

I'm surprised Dennis hasn't posted Arma2wall.png yet.

arma22009-06-2318-47-rprw4.jpg

SPLOOOGE

I must play this on my new super rig I will be building.

It reminds me of STALKER pre-release screenshots I would see in like, PC Gamer or something.
I remember they said we would need to upgrade our video card to properly see the paint peel. lol

Resident Evil Revelations (character models):

997778_20110815_screen001.jpg

997778_20110815_screen003.jpg

997778_20110608_screen002.jpg

997778_20110608_screen003.jpg

The most impressive part is these models are the models used in-game. Handheld texture bliss.

EDIT: Here are some screens with environments (these are slightly above native rez):
game_cha4_img_l1.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D384

2652e5e9a6dc691f66d5da30c385776b.jpg%3Fv%3D216000

onthestairs.jpg

880876f5e5f44d59fa568983d67a785d.jpg

13.jpg

If the rumors are true about revelations coming to hd consoles they better still look this good if not better.

Top Bottom