• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, when do you expect PS5 and the Xbox One successor tba? And what specs?

rokkerkory

Best h/w for $500 here on out. Current systems become the base h/w @$250

pro will be $250 in 2019 or early 2020.
X will be $250 in 2020 but likely 2021.

shpankey

not an idiot
I would like to see a PS5 release in the autumn of 2020 followed by an Xbox 2 release the following year. I'm guessing one or both will be between $400 and $500.

This idea failed HARD in the past, but what does everyone think about the idea of "versions" of the same platform? Like a combined platform from Sony/Msft/Nintendo that hardware manufacturers could pay royalties to them to produce (ala: 3DO w/ Goldstar, Panasonic, etc) and royalties split between the 3 for software/hardware both. This wouldn't keep those three from making a version themselves and we could sort of customize our systems in a way, not only with choice of manufacturer, but colors, styling, etc. It would of course come with a standard that spec'd the CPU, GPU and RAM, but most everything else could be changed. Since you would of course have this baseline for game makers to program to, but just a few options manufacturers could add/change:

Casing styles, sizes, colors with different ventilation systems. I would like to buy one that would mount into a 19" rack myself.

Built into their TV's or Receiver's if they would like (like the Roku) would be an option for some.

HDR10/Dolby Vision, 10bit/12bit color options

Large HDD's or even SSD drives or SSD/HDD combos (think Apple fusion drives)

Dolby Atmos/DTS:X support

USB 3.1 Gen 2 / Thunderbolt 3 ports or equivalent for external drives/accessories.

Different styled controllers (but adhering to a minimum button standard in a fixed position, A, B, X, Y, RB, etc)

Future upgrade port? Not sure about this one tbh.

One positive would be no more hardware fanboy wars. :p But I have a feeling this idea would be appalling to most gamers now.

Iced Arcade

The pro and one x were mid gen consoles so a few years easily.

These companies make more money from software than hardware so as long as titles are selling well on these consoles they along with publishers will want to extend the larger user base as long as possible.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder how good next gen games could look on Pro/X if the next gen are zencpu, 12tflop gpu, 24gb ram.

Lets say uncharted:drake in space is launching in 2020 could sony just make it 1080p/30fps on the pro and 4k @ 60fps on the PS5?

And the same for MS?

AmyS

Sony PS5 - Fall 2020 - $399

7nm
Zen 2 CPU (8 cores, 16 threads) 2.8 to 3.1 GHz
Navi GPU w/ forward looking features, 12-14 TF
32 GB RAM (HBM2 or GDDR6) - 800 ~ 900 GB/s bandwidth
2 TB mass storage, something fast.

Microsoft Xbox / Project Gemini - Fall 2021

$499 and $399 SKUs with the difference being HDD / SSD capacity

7nm+
Zen 3 CPU (8 cores, 16 threads) 3.2 to 3.5 GHz
Navi / Next Gen GPU - 18-22 TF
32 GB HBM3 - 1.2 TB/s bandwidth

Mid-gen refreshes won't happen until 2024 ~ 2025 when a 5nm GAFFET w/ EUV process might be ready and feasible for console chips.

After that (2027 - 2030) unless there is some break-through in materials to replace silicon, streaming / games as a service / cloud, etc might be the only option.

Boss Man

Hopefully no time soon. Current gen was a disappointment graphically until the mid-gen refresh and is still a disappointment content wise. Let’s get some good games first. Exlcuding Nintendo of course, on both accounts...they don’t really count.

AmyS

Hopefully no time soon. Current gen was a disappointment graphically until the mid-gen refresh and is still a disappointment content wise. Let’s get some good games first. Exlcuding Nintendo of course, on both accounts...they don’t really count.

Well, 2020, 2021 isn't exactly 'soon'.

Paulxo87

Not sure why a lot of people expect the next xbox to come out a year after the ps5 in 2021? Do not expect MS to let Sony get a year head start this cycle. Both consoles will release in the Fall of 2020

shpankey

not an idiot
Not sure why a lot of people expect the next xbox to come out a year after the ps5 in 2021? Do not expect MS to let Sony get a year head start this cycle. Both consoles will release in the Fall of 2020
Coming out a year later has many advantages long term, if done right. They will as they will want (and need) a clear hardware advantage. This and they've said they plan to be the most powerful going forward (don't have the quote handy) therefore my 2021 stands.

Paulxo87

Coming out a year later has many advantages long term, if done right. They will as they will want (and need) a clear hardware advantage. This and they've said they plan to be the most powerful going forward (don't have the quote handy) therefore my 2021 stands.

Nothing has ever worked out for them and will continue not to work out in their favor lol. They can still make it the more powerful console and release head to head against Sony in the fall of 2020. Probably their best bet

svbarnard

Banned
I really truly am hoping that nextgen graphics are going to completely blow me away! Thats why I get so excited thinking about it.

7nm

7nm+

Mid-gen refreshes won't happen until 2024 ~ 2025 when a 5nm GAFFET w/ EUV process might be ready and feasible for console chips.

After that (2027 - 2030) unless there is some break-through in materials to replace silicon, streaming / games as a service / cloud, etc might be the only option.

Even if it’s a few years out, quite over reaching on those specs i think. 18-22 TF in a $500 console in like 3 Years. Nah man.

truth411

7nm

7nm+

If you want decent 4k gaming and next gen VR Sony should aim for a $499 price point. My Guess
PS5: holiday 2020/2021 in order to have:
Zen3/7nm+ (EUV) Cpu/GPU
8 cores 16 threads
GPU 18-20Tflops (1200-1400Mhz)
384 bit bus
12 2GB chips GDDR6 @16000mhz + 1 2GB chip DDR4/5 for apps.
26GB total ram
768GB Bandwidth.

Totally doable @ $499, a $399 console in 2020 would be too crippled for next gen 4k gaming. $399 2005 Xbox 360 = $499 in 2020.

Peterc

People still think about next gen like it was in the past. But like MS said before it is a thing in the past. It's way to expensive to create a next gen in the following years. I expect rather a console like it works with ipad. Maybe it will called ps5 but it will probably play ps4 games in high res. By some time ps4 will dissappear and ps5 pro will be introduced.

Malcolm9

2020 for both companies.

I can't see either company giving the other one a years head start, that would just be daft.

I'm hoping Sony have learnt lessons from MS in regards to BC, as I think it would be ridiculous to not be able to play PS4 games on the PS5.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
2020 for both companies.

I can't see either company giving the other one a years head start, that would just be daft.

I'm hoping Sony have learnt lessons from MS in regards to BC, as I think it would be ridiculous to not be able to play PS4 games on the PS5.

“No one wants to play their old games”.

I have a hard time guessing when the next machines will be out. The Pro and the One X did cost them money to produce, and they need the product to be out some years to get covered the bills from them I guess.

Also, wouldn’t people be sad about upgrading their 499 console a few years from now?

Malcolm9

“No one wants to play their old games”.

I have a hard time guessing when the next machines will be out. The Pro and the One X did cost them money to produce, and they need the product to be out some years to get covered the bills from them I guess.

Also, wouldn’t people be sad about upgrading their 499 console a few years from now?

It's more a case of keeping people in their ecosystem going forward, especially with the rise of digital sales.

JaxBriggs

People still think about next gen like it was in the past. But like MS said before it is a thing in the past.

MS has made a few claims over the last few years that haven't eventuated. I wouldn't put the "generations are over" comment down as gospel just yet.

Sosokrates

One thing Im sure about is Microsoft putting the emphasis on gaming and power for the X1 successor.
What will be interesting is to see what sony and MS do with X1/PS4/PRO/1X?

I remember last gen there was speculation of xbox 360 mini/dongle, where it would compete with apple tv/Amazon fire tv etc

That didnt happen, I wonder if it will happen with base x1 and ps4 ? A discless ps4/x1 mini in a apple tv form factor would be pretty sweet.

People still think about next gen like it was in the past. But like MS said before it is a thing in the past. It's way to expensive to create a next gen in the following years. I expect rather a console like it works with ipad. Maybe it will called ps5 but it will probably play ps4 games in high res. By some time ps4 will dissappear and ps5 pro will be introduced.

Agreed. And I think the same goes for Nintendo. Ofc we'll see new, more powerful hardware, but as you said, it'll feature a shared software eco system. It really benefits everybody, especially software developers, who will enjoy an ever growing installed hardware base instead of restarting from zero every 5 years.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Agreed. And I think the same goes for Nintendo. Ofc we'll see new, more powerful hardware, but as you said, it'll feature a shared software eco system. It really benefits everybody, especially software developers, who will enjoy an ever growing installed hardware base instead of restarting from zero every 5 years.

Not restarting from zero doesn't mean it's not a real gen change. a 12 TF console with 12 GBs of RAM means it's totally next gen. 100%!

Caio

PS5 and Next XBox will come out at the same time, Nov 2020. GPU around 14-16 TF, 24-32GB total system ram. Can't say more than this :D and can't wait !

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If they are to continue the old model, of just making things more powerful in a linear way, then likely it's gonna take a little longer.

The upgrade in specs has to be very big, enough to make a worthy impact on ordinary people.

Woodchipper

Part of me thinks there's not going to be a PS5/New Xbox. What's keeping them from a simple optional hardware upgrade every 3 years, while retaining the libraries that already exist?
Terrible idea if you think about it, because it would hold back devs from making the most out of new games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Generations may be over for them, and whoever thinks that following Apple means making Apple like profits automagically, but what you are describing is simple BC.

I guess nextgen will be defined by 'brute force' rather than graphical features. Larger resolution support, better assets here and there, etc. Like the difference between the Pro and the One X but smaller.

Sosokrates

Yes, i prefer this, graphics are at a point where im more then happy with them.I do hope they take the IOS model and phase out the base PS4 and XBOX one.
It might not be a huge visual leap, but it may mean people can have there 60fps console dreams on PS5 and nextbox.

The only logical answer is “ when both Microsoft or Sony will have some new tech to push “

PS4 and Xbox One was released due to ps3 and Xbox360 inability to push games at 1080p (standard tv resolution for the majority of gamers ww )

Pspro and X1X due to inability of predecessors to render games at 4K resolution

Next gen will be decided by either a true VR generation or 8K display or similar new tech.

A simply “more powerful version of actual console “ are not enough as main reason to jump to another gen

8 core / 16 thread Zen+ CPU architecture, 3.6+ GHz - Navi GPU architecture ~18 TFLops - 32 GB HBM2 w/ 1 TB/sec bandwidth.
7nm FinFET APU -
UHD Blu-ray / 2TB HDD.
New type of controller interface (i.e. not a completely conventional DualShock 5).

~10X more powerful than OG PS4 and 3X more powerful than Scorpio.

PSVR2 within a year of PS5 launch.

Microsoft - similar/better specs in 2020-2021.

That would be amazing.

My only addendum is an optional more premium console with a 4-6TB SSHD for us Digital only folks.

And the PSVR2 absolutely needs to have 4k resolution for each eye.

Caio

I was wondering something :""Navi 10 Estimated Specifications Navi will be arriving in a single- and dual-GPU card with Navi 10 and Navi 10 x2, with the dual-GPU variant set to be an absolute monster. GPU: 7nm Navi 10 (128 NCUs) Performance: 50TFLOPs+ half precision, 30TFLOPs single precision GPU clock speeds: Unknown RAM: 16-128GB of "Nexgen Memory" PCIe: PCIe 4.0 x16 host connection TDP: 150-300W Release: 2019+""

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55875/amd-launch-monster-navi-10-2019-next-gen-ram/index.html

Maybe PS5 and Next XBox might use a custom Navi 10 ?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
https://wccftech.com/amd-new-major-gpu-architecture-to-succeed-gcn-by-2020-2021/

Say this new GPU macro architecture comes out on time in 2020 would the nextgen consoles have it if they also came out in 2020? I hope so cause I wanna see a big leap in graphics in the 9th generation of video games.

Imagine if Doom had the graphics the Doom commercial had

Wait what? That is a live action trailer. GPU's wont be that good in 2020. Unless you mean purley the monster models, then yeah, I expect PS5/XBO 2 to look about as good if not better (or at least more consistent" than that.

Allandor

I really don't know.
This mid-gen makes it really hard.
Well PS4-Pro can be improved via more memory and bandwidth, but than we are where the xbox one x is right now.
It was already hard to see a generational jump in image-quality with last gen to current gen (like we saw in the previous gen).
These mid-gen refreshes make that even harder.

If there is coming something new, I would say the current midgen get's the new base-console while the new gen get's the new "pro". Also we shouldn't forget, power is not everything. A new concept could make the next move. I don't think it will be VR because VR is not attractive to the mass. Maybe they try to copy the switch e.g. via Streaming or something like that.
I really don't know how they want to come up with a generational jump in power without getting the price way beyond $/€500.
As it seems, the next processes won't make it much cheaper to produce something. The other problem are the HDDs, they are just not fast enough. And SSDs are way to expensive if you don't want to pay $/€1000 for a new console.

Zannegan

Total wild guessing time? Great, I love this game.

2020 seems right for both PS and XBox--3 full years feels like enough time for Scorpio to spread its... erm... claws--though I could see the PS5 releasing in the first half of the year a la the Switch while the Xbox 4(K) lands just in time for the holiday rush. I can also imagine Sony allowing MS to have a slight power advantage this time around given the strength of their sales/brand position coming out of this gen; that is, unless Scorpio just really kills the sales gap over the next 3 years, in which case they'll do whatever it takes to achieve at least nominal parity. I don't dare guess at GPU teraflops, RAM counts, or anything else concrete, but I expect a comfortable upgrade from the current gen, though not a generational leap over the mid-gen refreshes (except in CPU power). The boost should be enough that 4K gaming is considered the new minimum acceptable resolution, and console warriors in both camps will scoff when exclusives' dynamic resolutions slip too often into 1440p.

I see both consoles having VR/AR options available within the first year. Whether or not this will inform their controller designs is largely down to how integrated VR is into their ecosystems. If I had to guess, I'd say Sony is more likely to go VR-capable with their base controllers, if only because PSVR is a significant part of their current ecosystem. (NOTE: Picture a standard PS4 gamepad that splits down the middle and has optional hand grips a la the VIVE 2.0 controllers, rather than Move Wands as the new standard controller). I don't think VR will achieve the mass-appeal by then that would force both console makers to build their consoles around those kinds of experiences, but there is clearly a profitable niche to be carved out there, so why not at least prepare for it?

One thing I hope to see become standard on both Xbox and PS controllers next gen is grip paddle buttons--if I never have to press another face button during an FPS again it will be too soon. Personally, I'd also like to see the right stick swapped for a high-precision touchpad a la the Steam controller, but I suspect that this would be too radical a departure for many gamers. HD rumble will probably also become standard because it's a nice little upgrade that will be readily available and not very expensive to implement.

All in all, I imagine two familiar consoles with obvious upgrades that focus more on refinement of current tech than innovation (which is in no way a slight against them) launching Spring and Holiday 2020. That said, I am always, always wrong when it comes to predictions, so no doubt Microsoft will drop consoles altogether in favor of an always-online Hololens 2.0 with legacy ports for the original XBox "bear" controller, while Sony launches a $2,000 console the size of a microwave that has wired dual-mice as its main controllers.

All I can say is that it's starting to get too expensive to have the latest and greatest hardware. Especially with hardware revisions seemingly happening much more rapidly.

Like with phones, I would be willing to pay a monthly fee to upgrade each time there is a new system like AT&T Next. I feel like Microsoft would be the most willing to create such a program. I would be all in for that.

svbarnard

Banned
Lol it seems everyone ignored my question. AMD has a new GPU macro-architecture coming out in 2020, do you think Microsoft or Sony would try to include it in there next gen consoles, I think they need it to be able to give nextgen the oomph it needs to display nextgen graphics.

GermanZepp

Lol it seems everyone ignored my question. AMD has a new GPU macro-architecture coming out in 2020, do you think Microsoft or Sony would try to include it in there next gen consoles, I think they need it to be able to give nextgen the oomph it needs to display nextgen graphics.
No dude. Forget it. Too expensive.

Leonidas

PS5 2019:
9-10 Tflops
AMD mobile 8 thread CPU 2 GHz
PS4, Pro compatibility

Xbox Next 2020:
11-12 Tflops
Intel mobile 8 thread CPU 2.5 GHz
Xbox, 360, One, X compatibility

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
So say AMD GPUs come out in 2020 with this "new" macro-architecture and the new Microsoft or Sony nextgen consoles come out in 2020 why wouldn't they also have the same updated "new" macro-architecture? Considering that the nextgen consoles come out with mid range GPUs, not high end of course.

Shin

Banned
PS5, end 2020 since everything lines up.
I'm hoping for 14TF, but we'll probably get 8TF or some shit because Sony is cheap like that and people will love it.

Top Bottom