• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

LuuKyK

Can you link to this? I'd *love* to read/hear it XD

I think its archived at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix facebook page, check there.

Basically when the guy from The Sun said where he was from she said "Oh my god, did the sun ever even come to Stuttgart before?" And when he said no, she replied with "Oh great, virgins!" lol

Also when asked if she cared about what other players thinks about her wildcards, she said that their opinions doesnt change the way she plays and that she has no intention of being friendly with anyone because thats not part of her job. lol

d+pad

I think its archived at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix facebook page, check there.

Thank you! I found it and watched it. She was less bitchy than I was expecting. LOL!

Anyway, I like her responses to the questions about the French Open. Sounds like she'll def. play qualifying if that's what is offered to her. If so, hopefully she can get into the main draw and do some damage + earn some valuable ranking points.

Hard to believe we've got Sharapova back and that Kvitova and Azarenka will be back in the next weeks and months, too. It's like a breath of fresh air to me, what with Serena out and with Kerber and Pliskova (in a way) currently struggling to live up to their potential...

Peru

I'm not a Bouchard fan, but she's right. Sharapova should never have been allowed near the sport again.

The CAS court definitively established that the intake of a recently banned substance was not intentional. The court, which has the final say, says she's not a cheat. She was punished for negligence.

You and Bouchard are free to think she's rotten scum, but not really free to claim she did something the court has had a final say in and says she's not. In fact the various criticisms from other WTA players have held little weight as they've been intermingled with 'she isn't a nice person anyway' and 'I never liked her' -- personal judgements of character, not relevant in a discussion about rules and punishment.

Ricker

I love the Arena in Stuggart and its always full unlike other tournaments,like in Istanbul currently when theres about 15 people in the stands lol...

Another good match between Sharapova and Makarova right now.

LuuKyK

I love the Arena in Stuggart and its always full unlike other tournaments,like in Istanbul currently when theres about 15 people in the stands lol...

Another good match between Sharapova and Makarova right now.

Very good match indeed. Maria played really well. She faces the young qualifier Kontaveit in the QFs now. She beat Muguruza last round so she should be dangerous.

I don't have a problem with Sharapova playing again. The banned substance was in normal use for a long time before then just appears on the list. If she took some well known steroid that was banned which has clear performance enhancements then sure.

d+pad

Wow, I'm kind of shocked Sharapova beat Makarova today O_O

I mean, I know Makarova is lower in the rankings that Vinci, but Makarova just beat Aggie (easily) and is both a good server and hitter, so I thought Sharapova might meet her match here.

Well, on to Kontaveit, I guess? I know nothing about her other than she's young and blond and upset Muguruza at this tournament.

I honestly don't know what to think about the match, or the match up. It's going to be the third day of play in a row for Sharapova. That may not be good for her. And Kontaveit doesn't really have a history with Sharapova, which may be good for Kontaveit. Plus, Kontaveit is young, meaning she's likely not overly impressed with an older player like Sharapova (even if that player has accomplished a lot).

I'm expecting another tussle no matter what!

sam777

Bouchard should just concentrate on her own Tennis. Playing like shit and talking as if she is world number 1 or something.

Bouchard should just concentrate on her own Tennis. Playing like shit and talking as if she is world number 1 or something.

Given her current trajectory, she'll be the one begging for a wildcard into tournaments within a couple of months. Perhaps thats why she's trying to disparage Maria a bit more, since Sharapova will be her main competition to getting wild cards.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I kind of want Sharapova to win the French lol

Also Bouchard needs to work on her game or soon she's gonna be the one having to play into tournaments. :p

Kerber just lost her opening match in Stuttgart. Really opens up the draw for Sharapova to go ahead and win this thing.

Also, Serena has regained her #1 ranking. Good job rest of the WTA field.

d+pad

Kerber just lost her opening match in Stuttgart. Really opens up the draw for Sharapova to go ahead and win this thing.

Also, Serena has regained her #1 ranking. Good job rest of the WTA field.

God, Kerber has really stunk up the court this year. What the hell is wrong with her? :(

As much as I'd love to see Sharapova win this tourney, I just can't imagine it's going to happen.

Granted, next up is Kontaveit, and should she get by her, Mladenovic, so who knows?

You know what would be great, actually? A Sharapova-Pliskova final XD

sam777

Should I put 10000000000000 Euros on Sharapova winning the French.????

Put your entire savings on it and when you win I would like 20% for the reccommendation.
This way we shall both get easy money. I will pm you my bank details closer to the time, thanks.

d+pad

Sharapova won again today. She has not dropped a set in her first 3 matches.

Next match (semis!) should be interesting, as it'll be against Mladenovic, who doesn't seem to be the biggest Sharapova fan based on the comments she made after Sharapova's doping ban was announced.

LuuKyK

Maria flopped hard in that last game to get broken. WTF was that point at the net. lmao

Should have won this match in two actually. Still she came back strong and with more match practice she will get even better I think. FO will be interesting even if she has to play qualies.

Ricker

Looks like its going to go to the wire...Siegemund brings her A game to her home country but fails in the final,Kerber beat her last year...

Wow,gutsy call right there,penalty point to Siegemund and she is broken... 5 5 now.

She did it,great match for Siegemund.

d+pad

So happy for both Nadal and Siegemund.

Siegemund has a weird game, but she's so enthusiastic that it's hard not to root for her.

Of course, I also like Mladenovic (great all-court game) and Thiem, so both finals were treats for me.

As for Sharapova, I think it's awesome she got as far as she did in Stuttgart. I expected her to lose in the first or second round, so to make it to the semis--and have a good shot at winning that semi--is pretty great, IMO.

Sure, Maria should've won that second set, but Mladenovic fought hard to grab it from her, which can't be discounted. Also, I always had a feeling Sharapova's lack of matchplay would hurt her in some way in this tournament, and that's just what happened at the end of the second and third sets of this semi.

I'm betting she won't be making some of those mistakes by the time the French and Wimbledon roll around :)

d+pad

year of the Bencic postponed to 2018 :(

What happened? Is she out the rest of the year with an injury or something? Or did she just lose again?

Regardless, I hope she can live up to her potential at some point. I'm still not at all a fan of her Kerber-like serve, but the rest of her game is great, IMO.

What happened? Is she out the rest of the year with an injury or something? Or did she just lose again?

Regardless, I hope she can live up to her potential at some point. I'm still not at all a fan of her Kerber-like serve, but the rest of her game is great, IMO.

wrist surgery, out for months.

little Cici Bellis upset Timea Bacsinszky on clay today. Thats surprising since clay is Timea's best surface. Is Timea injured like the rest of the Swiss women are?

oti

Banned
happiness guru? like the one in Silicon Valley?

Don't know the show but after his motivational problems Djokovic paid a happiness Guru to travel with him a while ago. Boris Becker told Djokovic he should either fire the Guru or him. He fired Becker.

Ricker

I hope Genie and Sharapova win their first round match in Madrid because they would meet in the second round haha...should be fun. ;)

d+pad

Let's be real, genie will get clobbered in the first round. I haven't even looked at who her opponent is

Cornet. Cornet vs. Sharapova also could be interesting, as Cornet's been kind of bitchy about Sharapova's return, too.

Hell, it'd be interesting even if that weren't the case, though, as Cornet *can* be both a good player and a dramatic one. In regards to the latter, I love how she's always falling over after she misses a serve or whining/complaining about something XD

Anyway, Sharapova would have to win her first round, too, for that to happen, and that's not a given. Lucic has played some good ball this year. Regardless, it's sure to be a slugfest!

d+pad

Well, Sharapova survived a tussle with Lucic, so Genie's going to get her wish!

Should be an entertaining match no matter what XD

Top Bottom