• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii mini console redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxn

This is what I want from a Wii Mini

Matte finish
About 2/3 of its size, possibly fanless
Rounded edges
Even though I want GC support I understand that wont happen
Colors in White or limited edition Gold Zelda.
$100 or less, must come with a real game (DKCR)

Do atleast 4out of 6 of those and itll be bought

ATF487

The Wee Wii.

<100 bucks and a game would be cool. Makes me wanna fire up my PS2 slim actually, can't believe how small that thing is

this came out in october 1997:

320px-SNES-Model-2-Set.jpg

so its not too crazy that they redesign a dead system.

I wonder if the Wii mini will top out at composite to save costs too?

Mlatador

Banned
What's this crazy talk about it having to be less than 100 bucks?

99 or just 100 would be pretty good. If they can manage to make the fan quieter, that alone would be awesome.

Or that.

And it comes with DKCR, that will be soo sweet.

Or like i said, Gold Zelda edition with Zelda SS

Yup, I would buy either one of those.

I hope Nintendo of America realizes that people like to buy special edition consoles in different colors. And when someone already owns a Wii, the interest in buying another one goes up when it comes in a nifty color, obviously. But it's not so obvious to NOA, apparently (re: 3DS XL colors)

Broad sweeping statement with no backing facts or evidence... you sir could be President of these United States.

I likes to keep it breezy.

Seriously though, all the "Wii is dead" comments - the console still has generous sales in the NA month to month. The console still has years of good sales ahead of it. Not to mention that they have yet to transition it for the lower cost markets.

?
IMO the Wii is the least dated looking system of its gen
They really nailed it in the design department and overall presentation of the brand.
Wii U is a bit of a step downfrom this actually
Well the Wii remote design made the ones from the other consoles look far behind, it was brilliant.

The console looks OK, if Nintendo had made Black the official coler with that blue led always on (or as an option) then it definitly smokes the other two easily.

Gilby

I think Nintendo has a really good opportunity to make a digital-only machine. If they removed the disc drive from a wiiU or a wii it woud be tiny. All they'd need to do is make sure there's enough memory/expandable memory and fix their online purchases so that they're tied to accounts. But it's Nintendo, so they won't do it because that would be too convenient.

What is Nintendo's history with lower cost markets?

Increasingly positive in China, specifically with their iQue line which has yet to have a Wii iteration.

Wii has already launched in other key markets such as Brazil, and Korea. A lower priced sku will kill there. Not sure about Africa.

All of this is even forgetting the NA markets, which is still selling Wiis at a reduced, but steady clip. Legacy sales like this can account for 25 percent of total marketshare, so this "kill the Wii" talk is stupid. None of the three console manufacturers will be burying their consoles when their successors arrive. That's way too much money lost.

edit: the original XBOX was an exception, because the console was hemorrhaging money.

Sean

Banned
?
IMO the Wii is the least dated looking system of its gen

nintendo_wii.jpg

They really nailed it in the design department and overall presentation of the brand.
Wii U is a bit of a step downfrom this actually

I used to think it looked very sexy but the design is just really dated now imo.

The buttons, front flap, and disc slot stick out a lot (especially when there's no light on like in this shot).

MisterHero

I really hope Nintendo supports it by re-printing their library at minimal prices.

The PSone/PS2slim was really made by the Greatest Hits selection.

Izick

I don't know, I mean I want to go through the Wii's library someday, but I'd rather just buy a Wii U sometime down the road.

Mlatador

Banned
If they can make it fanless, that would be very awesome. Everything fanless is awesome. On the other hand, I don't know how feasible it is to make the Wii fanless.

suaveric

I just find the timing of this odd. Why would they bring this out December 7th? By that time I'd guess a lot of Christmas shopping is done already. Why not release this in September or October? Or run out all the remaining Wii stock this holiday and release the mini in January?

I don't know if this makes the rumor more or less likely, but Nintendo seems to have stealth-released a new $89 Wii package into Wal-Mart for Black Friday. It looks like just the bare console, no pack-ins, and white this time. I saw a ton of them when I went yesterday, so it seems odd Nintendo would ship out a ton of this new barebones pack instead of trying to clear the channels for a mini in 2 weeks.

Confession: I got one. Wanted one this whole gen but couldn't really justify it. If this turns out to be real I'll just return it.

It was kinda rushed, but thanks :)

Too colorless for Ficher Price :p

The only thing with the mockup I see is that it looks like it's flip top opening (especially with the placement of the eject button) but obviously still has the slot loader.

Personally, I'd prefer a flip top myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom