• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any idea how this game performs on a 4870x2. Fucking card was top of the line when d3 was revealed. :(

Been wanting a damn beta key just so i can play this and get some performance feedback. Blizzard hates its most loyal minions.

Not quite the same but my 4890 runs it at 50-60fps with vsync off at 1680x1050 maxed except for medium shadows. Micro stuttering bullshit notwithstanding. 3ghz Core 2 Duo, my whole rig's about three or four years old now.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I have a 4870x2, and it runs locked at 60 fps vsync with all high settings and AA at 1920x1200 in singleplayer. In massive battles on coop with 4 dudes, there is some stutter and framerate drop, but not terrible. Without V sync, you get crazy amounts of microstutter.

Good news.

NZNova

You can switch to "advanced" mode and put them on your hotbar. They're actively trying to discourage "skill swapping" based on encounters.

Really? Thanks for the tip. Why are they trying to discourage it? It is kinda handy to switch to the frost beam to snare and then the arcane orb to blast...

Calidor

it would be really cool if they added a "switch" in the skills bar so you can save up to 4 different builds (ofc with a 5 min cooldown or so)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Really? Thanks for the tip. Why are they trying to discourage it? It is kinda handy to switch to the frost beam to snare and then the arcane orb to blast...

Uh, because letting people use whatever they want whenever they want essentially removes any element of choice or strategy and makes the game balance a total mess and all characters then become a homogeneous glob?

NZNova

Uh, because letting people use whatever they want whenever they want essentially removes any element of choice or strategy and makes the game balance a total mess and all characters then become a homogeneous glob?

But I can already click skills, click arcane orb, and change it to the frost beam whenever I want it seems. Would letting me do that through the action bar without having to go into the skills menu make such a big diff to game balance?

(this is the first Diablo game I've got into, really, so if I'm treading on some holy ground or something, sorry, it just seems like a clunky way of doing it).

Valnen

But I can already click skills, click arcane orb, and change it to the frost beam whenever I want it seems. Would letting me do that through the action bar without having to go into the skills menu make such a big diff to game balance?

(this is the first Diablo game I've got into, really, so if I'm treading on some holy ground or something, sorry, it just seems like a clunky way of doing it).

You can do it whenever you want, but they want you to stick with a build. This is why they reward you at end game for doing so. They want different people's characters to feel different from each other.

ZealousD

Actually yes! Having to go through the skills menu is an additional roadblock that is put in place to help ensure that players are not swapping builds on the fly. Also keep in mind that the cooldown on skills when you swap them increases in later difficulties.

Swapping skills should be about experimentation, not about trying to optimize your loadout for every single fight.

Lace

Now that this beta has been out for a while I was wondering what GAF's thoughts were on buying it? Is it something better played with friends?
*I've never played Diablo but I know from watching multiple game videos the concept.

RDreamer

I swear Blizzard's deflated almost all the hype I had for this game, since I keep checking my account day in and day out to see if I'm invited to the beta yet, and nothing... I feel like the beta's old news by now, and I still haven't got a chance to play it. I want to see how it plays on my computers, dammit.

Valnen

Now that this beta has been out for a while I was wondering what GAF's thoughts were on buying it? Is it something better played with friends?
*I've never played Diablo but I know from watching multiple game videos the concept.

Diablo is one of the few games that can be enjoyed alone OR with friends IMO. This is made even further the truth by the fact that they made loot drop for each person individually.

ZealousD

Playing either in single player or multi player is fun. Single player is best for the story and the exploration, multiplayer is more fun for the gameplay and the character building.

Tried multiplayer for a bit, fun stuff.

Did Diablo 2 have individual loot drops after monster kills, as opposed to one pile of stuff everyone can take from? I understand that it prevents griefing and players grabbing everything for themselves, but it kinda makes me feel as if I'm in a bunch of parallel games as opposed to a shared world.

IceMarker

No. I think this is a change for the better.

Agreed, I hate(d) doing CS runs in Hell with 8 people only for someone with a loot scanner, etc. to get all the exceptional uniques/rares within milliseconds.

--

Also, even though I have played Diablo, and Diablo II for years, I have never ever played LoD. Ever. Only classic/vanilla, It's part of the reason I'm getting the Collectors Edition though, for the expansion on the Soulstone USB, so it's like I'm getting two games in one. I did the same thing with the Starcraft II Collectors Edition, never played Brood War, only Starcraft vanilla, got it with the Jim Raynor USB.

Tried multiplayer for a bit, fun stuff.

Did Diablo 2 have individual loot drops after monster kills, as opposed to one pile of stuff everyone can take from? I understand that it prevents griefing and players grabbing everything for themselves, but it kinda makes me feel as if I'm in a bunch of parallel games as opposed to a shared world.

I always enjoyed the chaotic feeling of loot in Diablo. In WoW, it pisses me off to no end when people need on loot they don't need mostly because of the focused nature of the loot systems in that game, but in Diablo, I'm OK with fastest fingers.

Valnen

Agreed, I hate(d) doing CS runs in Hell with 8 people only for someone with a loot scanner, etc. to get all the exceptional uniques/rares within milliseconds.

--

Also, even though I have played Diablo, and Diablo II for years, I have never ever played LoD. Ever. Only classic/vanilla, It's part of the reason I'm getting the Collectors Edition though, for the expansion on the Soulstone USB, so it's like I'm getting two games in one. I did the same thing with the Starcraft II Collectors Edition, never played Brood War, only Starcraft vanilla, got it with the Jim Raynor USB.

Eh, I thought Act 4 was better than Act 5 personally, but it's worth playing through at least once. The music near the end of Act 5 is particularly good.

KorrZ

Finally got to try the beta out today and I'm in love. That 2.5 hours just absolutely flew by, and now the wait begins again :(. I played a wizard which I'm planning to main, and it took me awhile to realize that your weapon dps and attack speed factors into your spells. I literally had no idea, I was using no weapon for half the demo cause all I used was magic and I didn't think a grey sword I never actually swung would help out.

maharg

idspispopd
Eh, I thought Act 4 was better than Act 5 personally, but it's worth playing through at least once. The music near the end of Act 5 is particularly good.

Act 4 is kind of ridiculously short and has a difficulty curve almost as bad as the pre-Durial section of Act 2. Honestly, I think Act 5 is better than the rest of the game put together. Just has a much bigger scope to it.

ElyrionX

I always enjoyed the chaotic feeling of loot in Diablo. In WoW, it pisses me off to no end when people need on loot they don't need mostly because of the focused nature of the loot systems in that game, but in Diablo, I'm OK with fastest fingers.

You mean fastest internet connection or fastest hacking program?

ZealousD

I played a wizard which I'm planning to main, and it took me awhile to realize that your weapon dps and attack speed factors into your spells. I literally had no idea, I was using no weapon for half the demo cause all I used was magic and I didn't think a grey sword I never actually swung would help out.

Yeah I'm glad they've done that. Having your weapon actually factor into spell DPS aside from stats fixes so many problems with game balance and itemization for the spellcasting classes. I don't understand why so many games stick to what's such a clearly flawed design by having spell damage entirely determined by static numbers and stats.

99%

Yeah I'm glad they've done that. Having your weapon actually factor into spell DPS aside from stats fixes so many problems with game balance and itemization for the spellcasting classes. I don't understand why so many games stick to what's such a clearly flawed design by having spell damage entirely determined by static numbers and stats.

Yeah, without this spellcasters would be nice till you reach the end of the game and then be totally outclassed by melee classes that get mad weapons.

One thing I a worried about in D3 is that the WD pets health doesn't seem to scale with new items, only their DPS. On Inferno this will be an issue since their life will be static and they won't last against level 65 mobs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm donwloading D2 as we speak, don't want to play Beta no more but want to freshen up before May 15th :)
I really want to do this myself but fuck it. I'll just wait...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finally got to try the beta out today and I'm in love. That 2.5 hours just absolutely flew by, and now the wait begins again :(. I played a wizard which I'm planning to main, and it took me awhile to realize that your weapon dps and attack speed factors into your spells. I literally had no idea, I was using no weapon for half the demo cause all I used was magic and I didn't think a grey sword I never actually swung would help out.

Yeah, It's a little weird. It's equally weird for a Monk, because you can carry around a staff and an axe that you'll never actually use for any attack, but it boosts your weapon dps.

99%

What harm can it do...

I wish I had LOD too, never played that. And no point in buying it now as I will get it with the CE.

ZealousD

I think those are the unique sets.

No, I think the tiers essentially encompass all the "normal" loot. All of the tier 2 stuff is easily obtainable in the beta, for instance. I would expect that some peices of equipment will use the same models, but I don't think it'll be all that difficult to get these armor sets.

kirblar

No, I think the tiers essentially encompass all the "normal" loot. All of the tier 2 stuff is easily obtainable in the beta, for instance. I would expect that some peices of equipment will use the same models, but I don't think it'll be all that difficult to get these armor sets.
Correct, since there aren't armor classes anymore, it's just showing how the different "default armors" look, depending on which class you are.

lordy88

I saw the video with the 16 tier armors for each character; are those tiers including rares/uniques/sets? I hope not.

I believe it is scaling to general base item rank. Remember in Diablo 2 where you're character would looks different wearing plate mail as opposed to quilted armor? There were armor tiers in Diablo 1 as well, which is why every warrior looked the same in hell because they wore plate mail or full plate mail, etc.

Tiers work like that, not attached to the specific unique/rare/magical property of the armor, but the base armor itself.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

99%

Has anyone here in Beta tried out this mod that make D3 "darker"? Im wondering how safe it is. I'm not even sure I'd like to make it darker at this point. So used to the painting like graphics.

http://darkd3.com/

Avellon

Aren't there armor dye's this time around to help make yourself look unique?

Yep, there are many different dye colors and you can dye each individual piece of armor I believe. There's also an "invisible dye" that makes what ever armor piece you put it on not show on your character graphically. Useful for people who dont like the helmeted look, etc.

Filth

i know this is going to sound crazy ive owned diablo 2 for years and never beat it. if any1 is interested im looking to start from scratch. im downloading the client now

Individual as opposed to public loot seems to remove a social aspect from the gameplay.

People cannot warn you about something interesting that dropped that you might want, you cannot see what others pick up, there's no relation of trust (that can be abused) between players that do dungeons together. Loot is arguably one of the most important parts of the game, so why make this a purely individual thing? If there's no public loot, and less haggling or bartering (due to AH), how can a player's play style reveal their personality? The risk is that multiplayer just becomes very non-interactive, a bunch of solo games superimposed on each other.

kirblar

Individual as opposed to public loot seems to remove a social aspect from the gameplay.

People cannot warn you about something interesting that dropped that you might want, you cannot see what others pick up, there's no relation of trust (that can be abused) between players that do dungeons together. Loot is arguably one of the most important parts of the game, so why make this a purely individual thing? If there's no public loot, and less haggling or bartering (due to AH), how can a player's play style reveal their personality? The risk is that multiplayer just becomes very non-interactive, a bunch of solo games superimposed on each other.
You've outlined exactly why they've removed it- to encourage multiplayer with people you do not know/trust. D3 is just not set up like WoW to enable social networking very well (through the Guild system.)

Many more negatives than positives. You can still drop items on the ground, and you can link items in chat to show them off to other people for haggling/trading/whatever. I understand the argument, and it would be sort of neat if there was a toggle, which could evoke some emergent gameplay, but it's a change for the better - there's no getting around that.

ShaneB

You've outlined exactly why they've removed it- to encourage multiplayer with people you do not know/trust. D3 is just not set up like WoW to enable social networking very well (through the Guild system.)

My thoughts as well. I'll have no problems playing with randoms knowing the loot I see is exactly that, loot just for me.

Thrakier

Has anyone here in Beta tried out this mod that make D3 "darker"? Im wondering how safe it is. I'm not even sure I'd like to make it darker at this point. So used to the painting like graphics.

Oh my god, that looks so much better it's not even funny. And it really shows off what is wrong with the current artstyle. :( I really do hope this mod is compatible with the final and you can play online with it (cheating and so...)... :/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Uh... this looks absolutely terrible. Why would someone even download this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom