• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the "Destiny 2 looks like DLC" crowd. Why?

deadlast

Lost in the shuffle, I'm now realizing that since we no longer have to go to orbit, they serve even less of a purpose. I'd love to get a mission or mode like they did for halo reach space battles. That was awesome.

Remember in D1 when you got in that ship. All the excitement of space battles and flying when away as you discovered "Orbit" is just a loading screen/menu.

I'm just surprised at how similar the gameplay mechanics look. I thought they'd have all new types of manueverability, maybe even wall mounting, new animations...there's just so much they could have done in 3 years. Popular game franchises usually have pretty drastic changes between games at the beginning, but Bungie is content to keep a lot of stuff the same. Which is okay, but slightly underwhelming, especially since I consider Destiny a 7.5/10 game, but also a game with unlimited potential.

I think a lot of us hoped Bungie would reach for the sky, maybe a little naive on our part. I'm still hopeful that they learned from a lot of issues with the first game.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm just surprised at how similar the gameplay mechanics look. I thought they'd have all new types of manueverability, maybe even wall mounting, new animations...there's just so much they could have done in 3 years. Popular game franchises usually have pretty drastic changes between games at the beginning, but Bungie is content to keep a lot of stuff the same. Which is okay, but slightly underwhelming, especially since I consider Destiny a 7.5/10 game, but also a game with unlimited potential.

I think a lot of us hoped Bungie would reach for the sky, maybe a little naive on our part. I'm still hopeful that they learned from a lot of issues with the first game.

Please for the love of god NO!

Ganhyun

The game came out in 2014. Is anyone complaining about the MM in Titanfall 1?

Most Titanfall players are playing and quite happy with Titanfall 2.

Destiny is still played by a core group and is an active game.

Glad to know you will willingly give up time for no reason and not care.

Haha, personal preference I guess. I love insane amounts of manueverability in games like Titanfall 2, Halo 5, Crysis, even COD: AW. I thought Destiny would at least do something like increase slide length or heavily alter their double jump mechanics. Maybe there's some we havent seen?

Wamb0wneD

I would agree but Destiny keeps trying to be one.

Lockouts? Check.
Raids? Check.
Endgame where new activities open up? Check.
Separate pvp mode? Check.
Dungeons? Check.
Hard modes of dungeons? Check.
Play areas where you can run into others? Check.

Levelling system? Check.

Endgame levelling system through gear levels? Check.

For all this "destiny isnt an mmo", Bungie sure keeps trying to make it one.

It's only not an MMO when it fits in the narrative. Duh.

Krayz

For me I always thought Destiny would go the Expansion route. Build upon what was already laid out, like an MMO. Especially when they said it's on a 10 year plan.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
HALO 2 looked like HALO. I really expected more here. Sure they added some stuff and fancied up the skins, but if you look at it, it is pretty much HALO. I expected a lot more from HALO 2, like exploding unicorns and a completely redone game and not the continuation of a very popular game.

What in the heck?

Halo 2 added an insane amount of new things and if we're just looking at the core of the game, 2 was completely different than 1, 3 or Reach. Bungie always brought something new with each game. You couldn't look at a screenshot from 3 and confuse it with Reach or 1 and confuse it with 2. Destiny 1 and 2 look identical.

For me I always thought Destiny would go the Expansion route. Build upon what was already laid out, like an MMO. Especially when they said it's on a 10 year plan.

Sure, except nothing I had carries over. (Which I'm actually in support of as the Meta was stale and becomes only more unmanageable as you continue to add things without rotating others out.) The point however is that it's an expansion that costs $60 and isn't connected to the previous content... So... Not an expansion, but looks and feels like expansion content.

I hope that's not how it ends up turning out, and they haven't shown a bunch of interesting environments and enemies that change up the dynamics.

jviggy43

It's only not an MMO when it fits in the narrative. Duh.

Bungie knows better than to market it like an MMO. The comparisons to other ones would crush the brand given the relative lack of content. But by and large its an MMO in all but name and most people understand that. I think competition would in the shooter MMO market would be a perfect incentive to push the destiny franchise further. No idea who could possibly compete with what Bungie has at their disposal now tho.

What in the heck?

Halo 2 added an insane amount of new things and if we're just looking at the core of the game, 2 was completely different than 1, 3 or Reach. Bungie always brought something new with each game. You couldn't look at a screenshot from 3 and confuse it with Reach or 1 and confuse it with 2. Destiny 1 and 2 look identical.
Yeah that post was ignorant. Anyone claiming Halo 2 looked exactly like Halo 1 clearly isn't remembering correctly. Halo 2 was a HUGE step up from Halo 1 and brought a ton of game changing design features with it. I said it earlier but the first gameplay trailer alone dropped 5 giant incredibly huge gameplay mechanics that went on to define the series. It was clear right out of the gate how different that game was to 1. I must have watched that trailer like 30 times waiting for the release of that game.

molnizzle

Bungie knows better than to market it like an MMO. The comparisons to other ones would crush the brand given the relative lack of content. But by and large its an MMO in all but name and most people understand that. I think competition would in the shooter MMO market would be a perfect incentive to push the destiny franchise further. No idea who could possibly compete with what Bungie has at their disposal now tho.

BioWare Edmonton is rumored to be working on a Destiny-style game. With EA and Frostbite at their disposal they might be able to make a dent.

I bet their game will have dedicated servers, at least. -_-

SomTervo

Destiny 1 was way smaller than they first claimed so you would think Destiny 2 not being cross gen would actually sell their original scale of vision

Instead it doesn't look much better than the last DLC and much of it sounds like tweaks to the cross gen original in what we have learned is not much of a story appeal brand and instead is supposed to wow us with gameplay and world content to explore

This is it for me.

I thought "great, now they can really deliver on their original vision"

And it looks fun but just like Destiny 1.

renzolama

DLC?

It's a port!
Splatoon 2 joke..... well for me anyways

Splatoon 2 fans sure seem to have latched onto the Destiny 2 reveal threads as a place to bring up Splatoon 2 unprompted and defend it by association. It's a little weird, if I'm being honest.

Edit: Weird because it seems like everyone is consistently head-over-heels for that franchise vs the constant controversy surrounding Destiny, so it's strange to see it being compared.

UberLevi

Sure, it may change. We don't know about that. We're only making comment from what we have seen so far, and we're not making speculation what the game could be (and people defending D2 should do the same).

You're saying that we should only discuss what we see instead of assuming based on prior knowledge of the franchise how it might work. I get that. People have been burned by games in the past and I know a lot of gamers can be pretty jaded. But it leaves just as much room for speculation and assumption making as merely giving the game the benefit of the doubt. Its saying "The context doesn't matter because we can't know it yet anyways." Of course you're going to be disappointed in a reveal when you decide that you're going to judge what you can't see as 'non-existent and therefore a problem to be discussed in detail' rather than 'yet-to-be-seen but likely how it will be, so don't worry.' It doesn't set you up for less disappointment in the long run, it just front loads it all to right now, which is why people are so disappointed. Because they assume what they haven't seen after a single day of information isn't relevant to the discussion. And it absolutely is. I've played Destiny since between TTK and RoI, and have seen it change, even since then. I know for a fact that Destiny 2 has at least two expansions planned and that from what I've seen of Destiny 1, those can really change the way the game systems work post-launch. Therefore I can assume the game will build off of where Destiny 1 left off, but not be beholden to it. And that gives me hope and understanding that Destiny 2 won't always be "just an expansion".

Never forget

Look the one strike that was shown was literally more of the same. If Destiny 2 is so revolutionary from 1 that it needed a reboot then it failed to show me that in the Gameplay Reveal Event that they hyped to shit a month ago. How hard was it for them to show us something fresh? Can't wait for the season pass reveal to show off all the cool new stuff you need to pay more for on top of the $60 retail price. Pretty disappointed.

jviggy43

So everyone who is complaining that it looks the same, could you please explain what it is you were hoping for?

-More character classes. At a minimum, at least 1 new character class. Given how they all play rather similar and that seems to be even more of a case with the sequel, it isn't asking much to add a single character class to the mix to give it a bit more variety.

-More diverse subclasses and abilities. Recently I posted the warlock abilities and I think thats the right track, but removing bubble and rez in favor of more DPS abilities is boring and does little to provide distinction between character classes.

-Guns that don't function under the same archetypes as the previous game. For a sci fi game, Destiny is lacking on giving us sci fi heavy weaponary and instead gives us future takes on your standard assault rifle, shotgun, sniper, rocket launcher, etc. I think having those is great, but this is also the company that gave us the plasma pistol, needler, sticky grenade, energy sword. Give us weapons that truly feel sci fi.

-New enemy class. I'm happy they added in some additions to existing classes form what weve seen so far but the dogs and the melee cabal leave a lot to be desired. A new race with a bunch of new enemies would have really given us a better feeling of newness and helped diversify the enemy pool.

-Bosses. The bullet sponge boss structure needs to go. Like three expansions ago. They aren't fun or interesting to fight and weve seen how incredible raid bosses can be when given a bit of nuance to how you approach them. We obviously don't need them to function quite at the Raid level but variety in encounter mechanics would make replaying strikes (something were guaranteed to do a lot of) much more enjoyable if every boss functioned differently. And it'd be nice if they weren't just oversized regular enemies.

-Mission structures. This is probably one of my biggest gripes and probably one of the easiest to add. Change up the "go to point A, hold down while ghost scans area, rinse repeat until boss" structure that has been essentially every destiny mission. Give us a cool sparrow chase on Mars where were racing down an enemy cabal supply train, and then we work our way up it with reinforcements dropping down from support ships. Give it a timed section to complete the mission before it gets to its destination. Just a rough idea but again, if were going to be repeating missions as much as the first one (assumption, we have no idea if thats true) this would go a long way to helping mitigate fatigue.

I don't think any of that is really asking a lot from a studio of Bungie's capabilities as evidenced by their past output, especially given the resources at their disposal. All of that would feel like a huge bonafide sequel. Hell, maybe some of that is in the finished project and I would be stoked to see it. Its just the initial reveal didn't really come out with any of that and instead emphasized a lot of additions that really weren't all that important to me. It felt and looked like destiny 1 with some minor tweaks, and obviously that might not feel like the case once I play the beta. But judging from people here and around other gaming sites, the feeling of being underwhelmed isn't really just a neogaf thing. I'm happy for those that are totally sold, Destiny is a good game. It could be the best game tho.

the Campaign mode looks good,
but I can't say the same about the Strikes (from the Vex one we saw); giant bullet sponge in a circular arena gah

I'm getting it because I have nothing else better to do.

IMO, the lack of vehicles is alarming

Never forget

Look the one strike that was shown was literally more of the same. If Destiny 2 is so revolutionary from 1 that it needed a reboot then it failed to show me that in the Gameplay Reveal Event that they hyped to shit a month ago. How hard was it for them to show us something fresh? Can't wait for the season pass reveal to show off all the cool new stuff you need to pay more for on top of the $60 retail price. Pretty disappointed.

Yes yes yes. Destiny was such a case of lowered expectations to where you had people who had originally expected something completely different somehow claiming what we got was good enough because it's on console and it has co-op and pvp.

Many aspects of Destiny were good, but it had so much potential it just constantly squandered and I never felt like it even came close to delivering on what was promised.

The fact they are showing us right now content that I couldn't tell apart from the old game unless you explicity told me otherwise doesn't fill me with confidences. I'm not sure why they're holding back so much, or maybe they aren't and we're really just going to get more of the same experience. If that's the case though, then I have no interest. Show me where it's improved, show me what you've added. Show me a marked advancement on what you delivered before, because it's insane to believe they didn't.

I would have loved to at least see some increased modularization in the weapons, armor and abilities. Even that would have been enough... Just something for the love of God.

Same classes
Same HUD
Same Graphics
Same characters
Same menus

Even the loading screen is the same.

Come on.... this is plainsight expansion

And I thought ditching old gen they could improve the engine....

PaulloDEC

It happens with a lot of things. People come up with a vague, mythical sequel in their heads ("It'll be a massive GTA-style open world with entirely new lore and all running at 60fps 4k!") and then the real thing shows up and they're disappointed because it didn't meet their unrealistic hopes.

Haha, personal preference I guess. I love insane amounts of manueverability in games like Titanfall 2, Halo 5, Crysis, even COD: AW. I thought Destiny would at least do something like increase slide length or heavily alter their double jump mechanics. Maybe there's some we havent seen?

Please for the love of God YES!

Increased verticality, multi staged areas for PVP and PVE to enhance the pretty damn good platforming asepct of Destiny would be pretty great. It would add some more dimension to combat in general. The less predictable combat is the better.

Ryuuga

Banned
Same classes
Same HUD
Same Graphics
Same characters
Same menus

Even the loading screen is the same.

Come on.... this is plainsight expansion

And I thought ditching old gen they could improve the engine....

giphy.gif

RefigeKru

Banned
Please for the love of God YES!

Increased verticality, multi staged areas for PVP and PVE to enhance the pretty damn good platforming asepct of Destiny would be pretty great. It would add some more dimension to combat in general. The less predictable combat is the better.

Needs to be a wall jump if you ask me.

I can float but I can't kick off a wall? Madness.

The idea that the sequel needed new character classes to be considered a sequel is really bizarre. The game is fine with three classes, they've done more in D2 to differentiate the actual classes from one another with new class-specific abilities and are retooling the subclasses to be better balanced or reworking the ones that were OP or UP (sunsinger, defender, blade dancer.) Shoehorning in a fourth class is a worse idea for me than rebalancing and reworking the three they already have.

One whole new raid! Four whole new planets!

By the way, the old shit isn't here anymore.

So yeah, I'm very underwhelmed. It's exactly like Year One except probably on the level of Taken King.

The only thing they added that is noteworthy to me is the "guided play" for the raid. That is their compromise for matchmaking. Seems okay, but wow. Extremely underwhelmed.

EDIT: I was in on day one for Destiny 1. I'm waiting on this one.

I watched a strike for D2 and without knowing it was Destiny 2 beforehand, I would have thought it was DLC. People say it looks like DLC because it looks like DLC.

It probably was planned as an expansion at one point but Activision wanted to attract new players and locking them out with loads of expansions wouldn't work.

Dynasty8

The ONLY thing I hope they bring back from Destiny 1 is the four original Raids (possibly a "remixed" version).

It makes sense since 50% didn't even get to experience them.

Defuser

It's probably because these same people got burned during Vanilla D1 and basing off their unrealistic expectations on D2 so they can have something to justify their hate. It's like forever hating an ex, one strike and they are forever out. It's a petty thing.

Every single destiny fans admits that Vanilla Destiny isn't that great but Taken King fixed alot the problems Vanilla D1 had and D2 is a continuation of what they did in Taken King but apparently these don't exist in those same people's mind.

But whatever, time will tell when the publication reviews drop.

border

-New enemy class. I'm happy they added in some additions to existing classes form what weve seen so far but the dogs and the melee cabal leave a lot to be desired. A new race with a bunch of new enemies would have really given us a better feeling of newness and helped diversify the enemy pool.

They already have 3 enemy factions (4 if you count the Taken), only one of which has been sufficiently fleshed out in the overall story. I'm not sure what good it does to introduce yet another faction. They've added at least 3 units to the Cabal. If they do that for all the factions, that's at least 9 new enemy types. That seems like it should be more than sufficient, considering that people are holding up the 2 new enemy types in Halo 2 as an example of how to make a REAL sequel.

It's probably because these same people got burned during Vanilla D1 and basing off their unrealistic expectations on D2 so they can have something to justify their hate. It's like forever hating an ex, one strike and they are forever out. It's a petty thing.

Every single destiny fans admits that Vanilla Destiny isn't that great but Taken King fixed alot the problems Vanilla D1 had and D2 is a continuation of what they did in Taken King but apparently these don't exist in those same people's mind.

But whatever, time will tell when the publication reviews drop.

Explain Rise of Iron being the exact thing everyone DIDN'T want from the expansion after Taken King - very bland story, bland mission structure, just a return to Vanilla Destiny 1 all around.

Dynasty8

What if they made you pay for them. Even if you played Destiny 1?

That would be annoying.

At the very least, they can throw each one of the old raids bundled in one of the new D2 expansions. So basically we get one new raid, and one classic raid as a bonus and everything else on the DLC/Expansion.

Tired of hearing people complain about "No new enemies".

3 new enemies are profiled in the developer commentaries on the first strike : https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/865371452010151936

"Entirely new way of fighting, because they are the pinnacle of the Cabal Empire"

-fight like the rest of the Cabal-

War Beast, simpliest AI that basically are fast and just charge directly at enemies.

Incendior's. Basic Cabal AI that fires slower flame shots that burn a small area they hit.

Gladiator. Kind of like Valus Mau'ual without a jump pack.

Now, if that's the only new Cabal units, then it's a weak showing and I expect most the other revealed new enemy AI and units to be pretty much the same. If they're just one of many Cabal "Chapters" or whatever they're called and each has units like that, then it's definitely more serviceable. I somehow doubt it though.

Mattenth

For me, Destiny 1 was a colossal disappointment. Maybe one of the worst game purchases I've ever made.

"Destiny 2" just looks like more of the same. I mean, they're describing it in the same terms as Destiny 1. N new raids. Z new maps. X new strikes.

It feels like Destiny 1.5 because the original still feels like Destiny 0.5.

Grassy

As someone who played Destiny for ~110 hours in the first 5 months or so and hasn't touched it since, so far nothing about Destiny 2 jumps out at me that this is all fresh and new and exciting and I should jump in. It seems underwhelming to me. I definitely need to see more before I make a final judgement though, and I'm still interested in the PC version.

Anyone know how many employee's, bungie has compared to blizzard?

Bungie has ~750 according to this Eurogamer article from a year or so ago - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-12-the-day-the-music-died-when-bungie-fired-marty-odonnell

Blizzard had 4,700 employees as of 2012 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment

I think the UI looking extremely similar goes a long way when it comes to giving people that impression, honestly.

Oh yeah, like the Souls series and Bloodborne, people sure were jumping the gun when they showed the UI.

People are just more willing to have double standards on certain things.

border

Explain Rise of Iron being the exact thing everyone DIDN'T want from the expansion after Taken King - very bland story, bland mission structure, just a return to Vanilla Destiny 1 all around.

Taken King was designed by Luke Smith & company as a full-fledged retail product. Rise of Iron was designed by their B-teams as DLC while their real talent worked on Destiny 2. This doesn't really excuse the failings of Rise of Iron, but it's not hard to understand why one was top-tier and the other was an afterthought.

Being a Bungie fan is like being in a perpetual state of making a bowl of cereal, then opening up the fridge to the realization that you have no milk.

I'm disappointed that the classes aren't completely different and when it comes to dlc content expectations bungie has really lowered the bar.

jviggy43

They already have 3 enemy factions (4 if you count the Taken), only one of which has been sufficiently fleshed out in the overall story. I'm not sure what good it does to introduce yet another faction. They've added at least 3 units to the Cabal. If they do that for all the factions, that's at least 9 new enemy types. That seems like it should be more than sufficient, considering that people are holding up the 2 new enemy types in Halo 2 as an example of how to make a REAL sequel.

I wouldn't count the taken as a true 4th class, Its a reskinned version of enemies you have been fighting with a couple new features. And maybe thats true but it depends on how they interact with you. Brutes and Drones acted drastically different from the other alien races. So far the new classes of cabal, while aesthetically different, dont look like they perform radically different from the other types of enemies weve fought so far. Idk maybe that wont be the case but its easy to see why people think this looks samey with the lack of variety shown in the gameplay trailer itself (not the strike obviously. I feel that would have been a better demo to show off right out of the gate tbh given the new enemies for the cabal and the drilling machine serving as a nice level mechanic). And if were going to be condescending about Halo 2 being a real sequel, I mean, no one was having the conversation were having about this reveal back then when they demo'd the first in game footage. That was the way it should be done.

Oh yeah, like the Souls series and Bloodborne, people sure were jumping the gun when they showed the UI.

People are just more willing to have double standards on certain things.

BloodBorne and Dark Souls while sharing many similar aspects, actually played quite differently in combat. Even if it hadn't, the completely different setting would have been enough to make it more interesting. It's not a double standard, this is literally just more of the same. Sure the UI is one part of that, but not even close to the biggest reason why people are scratching their heads going "I can't tell the difference between D2 and D1."

Top Bottom