• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

15 INCREDIBLE PHOTOS FROM ERIC PRYDZ'S OPENING NIGHT AT HÏ IBIZA

mog1.gif

Aomber

Not enough drops for the Vegas bros :p

Hahaha touché, to be fair though I've seen Disclosure and Carl Cox and what not play The Light (before it turned into a hip hop club)

I do wish Vegas had more underground clubs though, I don't think I'd go back there now for the club scene. Maybe it'll expand into that eventually.

Here's Hardwells attempt at another Hardstyle track:

Make The World Ours

It's such a basic track lol.

Vocals about our destiny? ✅
Video about the Hardstyle crowds? ✅

That's a Hardstyle music video alright.

Friday edit: the full release can be heard here. Alot better than the short preview but is still a basic Hardstyle track.

I don't know how I feel about a few Hardstyle producer's making Psytrance or having Psytrance-like sounds. On one hand, cool and the other hand...... I don't even know how the Psytrance interest even began!

Brennan Heart is making one. Audiofreq made a couple, I think? TNT made one. I think there are more but it's too early for me to find out more :p

New San Holo track. It's a Future Bass track obviously but this doesn't click with me like Light did :/

The Future ft. James Vincent McMorrow

I forgot that Brennan Heart is releasing some "free" music this past week. It's all on his website -> brennanheart.com but uh.... You gotta register first.

Also I've been getting into some Hardcore. That is some intense shit yo.

Speaking of Headhunterz' return.... Here is a podcast presented by Willem -> HARD with STYLE.

Aomber

SO, Calvin's latest LP is here, and this one as expected is an obvious step away from his last couple of albums, harping back to his older disco sound from the 2000s. To no surprise, this album is less of an "album" and more of a collection of songs which obviously are targeting the summer crowd.

Speaking of summer crowd though, there's one thing that's clearly missing from the album. There aren't any obvious smash summer hits. It doesn't feel like Calvin is trying to make another "18 months" despite the crazy number of notable artists on here, and he's taking a step away from the "been there done that". On one hand, that's something that some could argue is respectable, but on the other hand, it feels like there IS something missing. On previous Calvin records, despite maybe not liking his albums in their entirety, I would have several songs on repeat for a long time. I don't see myself doing that with this album, and there's a couple of reasons why.

The first and foremost reason is that there are so many features on this album that it feels like most of them don't get to shine. Calvin brings on some incredible singers like Ariana Grande, John Legend, Frank Ocean, Katy Perry, all of which seem to take a back seat for their performances. For example, in "Heatstroke" with Ariana, all you get is her singing one line essentially, which I find holds back a tremendous amount of potential that could have been brought to this song. Even in songs where a singer will get a fair amount of opportunity to present themselves, they lack that delivery. Pharrell on "Feels" just feels like he's singing a song from a cheesy Ace Ventura film. That's the problem with these features, none of these songs make me want to listen to them over the original artists' content. I'd rather just go and listen to each of these artists' music independently.

Which on that note, there's a reason why a lot of these artists had so little spotlight. Because the rappers took such a prominent spot in most of these songs. I'm just gonna say it - all of the rapping on this album ranges from mediocre to bad. I dunno, maybe some people like this kind of rapping, but I absolutely cannot stand it on this album, with autotune not helping in several cases. I'm not a fan of most of the rappers in the first place, but even the ones that do stand out for me don't do a particularly good or memorable job here.

Anyway, what I WOULD have liked more of on this album was actually in the last two songs, "Faking It" and 'Hard to Love". Not entirely that in style, I mean in the sense of "less is more". Feature less artists and give each artist in the songs more spotlight, he did that really well on previous records, and I understand he wasn't trying to do the same thing, but that aspect of it worked for a reason. All this being said, if you can look past the vocal performances, if you enjoy this style of rapping, there is something to be said about this album. There is some really fantastic production going on. It's clear that Calvin put a lot of love and care into what he did here, so if this is your thing, there's a lot to be appreciated here. Overall though, this album was not for me.

cj_iwakura

This is a long shot, but there's a really addictive song I heard in a lot of sets today. No idea what it was called, it closed out Apartment 52's set on Area and it started off Dombresky's cookout set. Sounded something like 'and you want to get back in my life' repeated over and over.

The set's up:
https://soundcloud.com/dombresky/dombresky-i-the-cookout-guest-mix-053

Really enjoyed it too. Starts at 1:10.

Found it, lol, never mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YceOU89fzMM
(Boston Bun - Missing You)

Man the "djs" at a local Hmong bar/club was garbage lol. Played alot, and I mean ALOT, of Future Bass. I just couldn't vibe and dance at all. There were the occasional Trap and Dubstep that I could headbang and dance to but that was few and far between :(

They played Tremors (LNY TNZ remix) BUT the drop (skipped most of the LNY TNZ remix!) was straight up garbage lol. I was ready to turn up and then..... A random song change, wtf?! Hmong folks need to get better Hmong djs lol (ponders if myself could, one day, be a decent Hmong dj lmao). Maybe I should since I am usually the Pandora/Spotify/Youtube guy at get-togethers. Learn how to mix and shit.

Aomber has said that he encourages folks to get into djing/producing.

🤔

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh my god the new Calvin album is so tragic lol. It's...just so fucking boring. Please don't let there be a Volume 2.

*goes back to listening to 18 Months*

Edit: DJing is fun as fuck. It's so easy to get into, you should give it a try!

Aomber

Found it, lol, never mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YceOU89fzMM
(Boston Bun - Missing You)
Nice, I'm feeling this

Man the "djs" at a local Hmong bar/club was garbage lol. Played alot, and I mean ALOT, of Future Bass. I just couldn't vibe and dance at all. There were the occasional Trap and Dubstep that I could headbang and dance to but that was few and far between :(

They played Tremors (LNY TNZ remix) BUT the drop (skipped most of the LNY TNZ remix!) was straight up garbage lol. I was ready to turn up and then..... A random song change, wtf?! Hmong folks need to get better Hmong djs lol (ponders if myself could, one day, be a decent Hmong dj lmao). Maybe I should since I am usually the Pandora/Spotify/Youtube guy at get-togethers. Learn how to mix and shit.

Aomber has said that he encourages folks to get into djing/producing.

🤔

Go for it! As Sai-kun said it's really easy to get into, with a lot of depth that can be added to it.

I usually tell people, if they're interested in producing, get into that first because it's a deeper subject and teaches fundamentals of DJing.

But seriously though.... Where was Psytrance my entire life?! That shit is so good when I'm drunk (not saying it isn't good when I'm also sober!). Fucking Hardcore and Psytrance are some other shit though.

Aomber

And I still cannot get into psytrance. That damn drop after an amazing melodic buildup always disappoints me and makes me sad

For me I like it in the context of a trance set, like if there's back to back melodic songs and there's space to drop something heavier (infected mushroom being the exception, but they are a bit different from the usual psytrance). But I totally get why it might not be your thing, I tend to lean more towards music-y music too

Ashhong

For me I like it in the context of a trance set, like if there's back to back melodic songs and there's space to drop something heavier (infected mushroom being the exception, but they are a bit different from the usual psytrance). But I totally get why it might not be your thing, I tend to lean more towards music-y music too

True, once in a while, sprinkled in can be ok. That's why I like that Silence remix by Seven Lions. Part of why I don't like it though is because the bass, psytrance bass specifically, can sometimes be too much for my body. I feel that shit hard, it massages my heart lol

Aomber

True, once in a while, sprinkled in can be ok. That's why I like that Silence remix by Seven Lions. Part of why I don't like it though is because the bass, psytrance bass specifically, can sometimes be too much for my body. I feel that shit hard, it massages my heart lol

I once went to this Excision show back in 2013 in a tiny 500 person venue. Even at the back of the venue, every inch of my body was vibrating and I could feel the bass in my chest. I had to literally leave the concert because I couldn't handle it, so unnecessary lmao

Aomber

Siiiick.

There's also the Armin Van Buuren vs Vini Vici ft. Hilight Tribe - Great Spirit (Wildstylez remix) that has been making the rounds lately in Hardstyle. Link for anyone curious.

Nice, hardstyle works well for that track, the original is good too

Now we just gotta get you onto techno 😇

Nice, hardstyle works well for that track, the original is good too

Now we just gotta get you onto techno ��

Edit: yeah, that's what I'm guessing why Hardstyle djs and producers are trying to get into Psytrance. It seems like both genres can easily be blended together. First was Trap, then came Bigroom, and it looks like Psytrance is the next experiment. I'm sure there are more hybrids and experiments with other genres. I was over at r/hardstyle and they had this thread about weird (in a good way) kicks and some of them worked, oddly enough.

I like Techno every now and again but I just don't know why I can't get into it on a normal basis. I just need to probably find that one artist that will ease me into Techno (not necessarily easy to get into Techno and not necessarily a large named Techno artist). I don't necessarily care for drops and climaxes and I do tend to enjoy a songs journey/vibe more than the drops and climaxes.

I have noticed that the slower bpm genres are getting rather boring for me. The 110-130 bpm tracks and genres are kind of a buzz killer currently. My sweet spot seems to be between 140-160ish bar for some Hardcore tracks.

Aomber

I like Techno every now and again but I just don't know why I can't get into it on a normal basis. I just need to probably find that one artist that will ease me into Techno (not necessarily easy to get into Techno and not necessarily a large named Techno artist). I don't necessarily care for drops and climaxes and I do tend to enjoy a songs journey/vibe more than the drops and climaxes.

I have noticed that the slower bpm genres are getting rather boring for me. The 110-130 bpm tracks and genres are kind of a buzz killer currently. My sweet spot seems to be between 140-160ish bar for some Hardcore tracks.

Give this set a shot, I found the mau5 to be a great entry point for me personally, still remains one of my favorite guys in general to drop techno.

Deadmau5 Closing Ultra Live Stage 2016

Yeah I hear you man. Was just talking about it with my buddy today, missing 2011-2013 edm so much =(

Ashhong

Edit: yeah, that's what I'm guessing why Hardstyle djs and producers are trying to get into Psytrance. It seems like both genres can easily be blended together. First was Trap, then came Bigroom, and it looks like Psytrance is the next experiment. I'm sure there are more hybrids and experiments with other genres. I was over at r/hardstyle and they had this thread about weird (in a good way) kicks and some of them worked, oddly enough.

I would recommend Eric Prydz to slowly get you into techno. Unless idk what techno is, Prydz seems pretty similar and is amazing. His recent EPIC 5.0 show is so good. It's on SoundCloud, I'll link later if u want

Aomber

I would recommend Eric Prydz to slowly get you into techno. Unless idk what techno is, Prydz seems pretty similar and is amazing. His recent EPIC 5.0 show is so good. It's on SoundCloud, I'll link later if u want

Prydz is partly techno – if you're looking for techno tracks specifically from him he releases under an alias called Cirez D

Aomber

Give this set a shot, I found the mau5 to be a great entry point for me personally, still remains one of my favorite guys in general to drop techno.

Deadmau5 Closing Ultra Live Stage 2016

Yeah I hear you man. Was just talking about it with my buddy today, missing 2011-2013 edm so much =(

Will do 👍

Prydz is more known for his Prog House stuff but he does do some Techno on the side and, like Aomber said, he and Joel both do alot of experimenting with genres close to Prog House.

I feel like the lurkers or some of y'all may like this if you are into what songs can define a genre:

Noisecontrollers - Spirit Of Hardstyle

It's been going around and with high praises from the fanbase and djs alike due to how similar it sounds compared to the older Hardstyle sounds. Second only to this:

Headhunterz - Destiny

Older news but, something that's also interesting from Hardstyle lately was the break up of Psyko Punkz, and Sven leaving due to personal reasons. In his return however, he has released this under the alias of Keltek:

Keltek - Down To Earth which sounds similar to his older track with Wietse called Spaceships. It's really an entirely different sound compared to the mainstream Hardstyle scene and serves as a refreshment from the mainstream Hardstyle scene (also helps that it says Hardstyle doesn't all sound the same from time to time).

As for Techno and real Prog House, I listened to Joel's set, enjoyed it and then went on to listen to Sasha and John Digweed's set from this year's UMF (which I also enjoyed!). I'm going to back and listen to the sets from UMF 2017's Carl Cox & Friends stage whenever I get the time to. Feels like I might enjoy it.

Aomber

Glad to hear you liked the set & you checked out those guys! Great DJs for sure :D there's limitless sets out there for that kinda music so you can really explore.

Also lol, Axwell ^ Ingrosso released the track list for their next album and... All the songs are already out. These two have turned into such clowns, there's absolutely no reason to listen to this album, especially knowing already that all the songs suck.

I'm down for melodic hardstyle. I really really love these two remixes, though I think someone called it "hands up"? Sound the same to me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlUdBeyXmvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GEA9xAff-k

Both are under the Hard Dance umbrella. The first is definitely Hands Up while the Stonebank Remix is Happy Hardcore.

If you enjoy that remix from Stonebank I think you might like his Happy Hardcore tracks and you might also like Nanobii.

Ashhong

Both are under the Hard Dance umbrella. The first is definitely Hands Up while the Stonebank Remix is Happy Hardcore.

If you enjoy that remix from Stonebank I think you might like his Happy Hardcore tracks and you might also like Nanobii.

Can I trouble you for song recommendations? Or a spotify playlist? :D I like the hands up more (especially the second drop) but both are good. Just so much fun to listen to

I'll be honest that I don't particularly like Hands Up or Happy Hardcore but for certain artists, like Stonebank and Nanobii, I can make exceptions. I also don't know much about Hands Up except that it falls under the Hard Dance umbrella. (live edit) Well it seems like it does and it doesn't because it's supposedly between Trance and Hardstyle. That shows how much I know about Hands Up lol (apparently it's a very niche genre and not many outside of Germany has heard of it).

Stonebank
- Be Alright ft. EMEL
- Stronger ft. EMEL
The dude also makes alot, ALOT of tracks with EMEL, well, because that's his wife lol.

Nanobii
- Rainbow Road
- Chipland
While Nanobii seems to be the in-between for Happy Hardcore listeners. The dude makes alot of Happy Hardcore that is too Happy and friendly, ya know? He's sort of like a stepping stone for Darren Styles who is a major Happy Hardcore artist. Darren is also alot more "harder" and "raw" compared to Nanobii lol.

And here is Monstercat's Hard Dance playlist if you are interested. It's a mix of Happy Hardcore and Hardstyle.

23qwerty

speaking of monstercat they just released the Rocket League soundtrack they made for the new update or something

on mobile so no links but it's on Spotify and probably other places

Aomber

Zedd, Liam Payne - Get Low (Infrared)

I was gonna go on a huge rant about this, but to sum it up, this is a really dull Pop production. Liam's vocals are pretty weak here as well. This confirms it for me. I've seen Zedd live on five occasions – his upcoming tour in the fall is the first tour of his that I'm skipping.

I mean, fuck it, straight Pop artists are making more exciting music on the radio than the EDM/Pop guys. I'm all for artists like Lorde getting a #1 Billboard 200 album while making awesome music. I mean here's something from her album that's a similar style but just completely kicks ass in comparison.

Lorde - Sober

Top Bottom