• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ruffian working with Microsoft on a 1080p 60fps FPS tech demo, also on UE4 game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I noticed this while checking LinkedIn for leaks and given that resolution is the topic of the day, thought people might be interested.

They seem to be doing contract work lately, so supporting Halo 5 perhaps?

LinkedIn said:
Lead Programmer
Ruffian Games

Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry

January 2011 – Present (2 years 10 months)

March 2013 - Present
Technical lead on an FPS tech demo for Microsoft Games Platform Team driven by the goals of game play at a constant 60 fps at 1080p whilst using Kinect 2.0 in a game augmenting fashion.

November 2012 - March 2013
Code lead on unannounced next-gen project using Unreal Engine 4.

March 2012 - November 2012
Technical lead on internal prototyping for several projects using CryEngine 3 and Unity.

Jan 2011- March 2012
Technical lead on Nike+ Kinect Training. This was an Xbox 360 exclusive using the CryEngine 3. My team was focused on mini-games, networking, optimization and render technology.
Source: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/duncan-harrison/5/496/33

Edit:

It may be this:

Isn't that the Kinect demo we saw where you had to dodge incoming fireballs by leaning left and right and you could activate nightvision by tapping your temple?

http://youtu.be/01y1vXBl1-8

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/44...e-subtle-uses-of-xbox-one-kinect-in-a-shooter

Alx

Isn't it that demo where you would toggle the view mode by touching your temple to see invisible ennemies ?

Could this be a push by MS to create their own version of Sony's ICE team?

Or do they already have one? If not they should work on one as not all devs are created equal

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It sounds like they're working on a game of thier own. One of Microsofts 2015 games perhaps?

To my knowledge they've been doing several smaller projects along with supporting other projects like Ryse.

They could be working on a bigger project by themselves again though. Microsoft has been gearing up.

Do we know if Ruffian are still assisting on Ryse or whether that was just for the version due on Xbox 360?

I was referring to the Tech demo that was started in March you know a month after the PS4 reveal?

But yes I doubt it's from recent issues

I don't see the need for a link to the PS4, maybe Ruffian or MS had a very specific brief for something they wanted to do and it happened to start in March.

jbug617

Banned
Bringing back Perfect Dark? 343 worked with a studio in Texas for Halo 4 (Certain Affinity) so I doubt they would go with Ruffian. Also I don't think Halo would use UE4

Hindle

Banned
To my knowledge they've been doing several smaller projects along with supporting other projects like Ryse.

They could be working on a bigger project by themselves again though. Microsoft has been gearing up.

The unannounced project does indicate a full fledged game being made over there IMO, and I'd bet good money on Crackdown 3.

I don't see the need for a link to the PS4, maybe Ruffian or MS had a very specific brief for something they wanted to do and it happened to start in March.

Fair enough. I would've thought you'd start a tech demo earlier though but if it's the one that has been shown than I suppose it's not overly intensive anyways so wouldn't take that long

iMax

Bringing back Perfect Dark? 343 worked with a studio in Texas for Halo 4 (Certain Affinity) so I doubt they would go with Ruffian. Also I don't think Halo would use UE4

The new Fable uses UE4... Could it be that?

The unannounced project does indicate a full fledged game being made over there IMO, and I'd bet good money on Crackdown 3.

They've said a few times Crackdown 3 isn't on the cards.

TheOddOne

Really strange hires lately at MS.

jYzzwOuePYVA8.png

And this one is even weirder.

jCBl1TiXChQgo.png

#Things

jaypah

I was referring to the Tech demo that was started in March you know a month after the PS4 reveal?

But yes I doubt it's from recent issues

So, like...you think that all of the games that MS will release over the course of the new generation should have all started development before the PS4 reveal? Games will continue to get prototyped throughout the Gen. I know it's a weird time on GAF right now but come on Swift lol

New ip please. I would love some an fps with clever kinect use. Microsoft is on fire with the first party development. Well at least when compared to mgs of the past.

jbug617

Banned
They've said a few times Crackdown 3 isn't on the cards.

Phil Spencer has been hinting a lot lately that they would like to do a Crackdown 3

“Oh… Crackdown is one of my favorite games, and not just because it’s a Microsoft first-party game,” he told IGN. “I have a lot of love for that franchise. The homage to Crackdown in the [May 21 event] reveal screenshots was… I know there was some, like, ‘Did we accidentally sneak that…?’ It wasn’t accidental. Definitely.”

When pressed if the nod was just an Easter egg, Spencer did nothing to extinguish fan hope that the series may return on Xbox One. “No, I don’t think Crackdown is dead at all,” he said. “It’s a franchise that’s still close to me. I think there’s a lot of room, especially…

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/microsoft-exec-crackdown-isnt-dead

Top Bottom