• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/24 - 3/30

Tenbatsu

viciouskillersquirrel said:
This is true. It doesn't exactly do the same numbers in the west.

Which is why the uproar over the MHThwii announcement was at once so mystifying and hilarious to me.

So what does 2nd G offer over 2 that makes all the MH fans go and buy it all over again? I am correct in assuming that this is an enhanced version of 2, yes?

Just like the PS2 of MH to MHG: new area, new monster, new weapons/armors, new G class monsters, new features, basically an expansion but a pretty good one.

Tenbatsu said:
Just like the PS2 of MH to MHG: new area, new monster, new weapons/armors, new G class monsters, new features, basically an expansion but a pretty good one.
I thought so. A million Monster Hunter fans don't go out and rebuy a game because of reduced load times or a new online mode or whatever. If I remember correctly, the numbers for the original were less than 100k higher for the original. That's a pretty dedicated core.

Raggy

Banned
double post for teh win eh squirrel?

ahyway, is it ok to post Famitsu numbers in this thread? I saw the HW numbers have been released there already.

JeremyR

Which is why the uproar over the MHThwii announcement was at once so mystifying and hilarious to me.

So what does 2nd G offer over 2 that makes all the MH fans go and buy it all over again? I am correct in assuming that this is an enhanced version of 2, yes?

It might not sell as well in the West, but again, simply go over to Gamefaqs and look at the ranking of the PSP message boards:

01 - Crisis Core
02 - Monster Hunter Freedom
03 - Monster Hunter Portable G
04 - FF Tactics: War of Lions
05 - MGS: Portable Ops Plus
06 - God of War: Olympus

The MHF board has over 10,000 threads (574 pages with 20 threads per page) and is probably one of the biggest trafficked boards on Gamefaqs. By comparison, Mass Effect only has 240 pages and CoD4 has 775).

If you corelate traffic with players, then MHF lies about halfway between the two games. That's probably overestimating, as RPG type games generate more traffic, but it's still incredibly popular by those standards.

I know people here scoff at Gamefaqs, but it really is a pretty pulse of what more mainstreamish gamers are playing (especially considering they are linked with Gamespot)

JeremyR said:
It might not sell as well in the West, but again, simply go over to Gamefaqs and look at the ranking of the PSP message boards:

01 - Crisis Core

The MHF board has over 10,000 threads (574 pages with 20 threads per page) and is probably one of the biggest trafficked boards on Gamefaqs. By comparison, Mass Effect only has 240 pages and CoD4 has 775).

If you corelate traffic with players, then MHF lies about halfway between the two games. That's probably overestimating, as RPG type games generate more traffic, but it's still incredibly popular by those standards.

I know people here scoff at Gamefaqs, but it really is a pretty pulse of what more mainstreamish gamers are playing (especially considering they are linked with Gamespot)
Like I said, dedicated core. Very vocal fanbase.

JeremyR said:

01 - Crisis Core

The known sales of the first game say otherwise to how popular it is in the West. It may be more of a hardcore hit than mainstream. I don't know if the sales have picked up recently or not, but it can't have taken off that much.

Defuser

JeremyR said:

01 - Crisis Core

lol,do you actually went to check the threads? It's nothing but trolling and off topic threads which gets big as over 500 post in one thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
I guess people have to drop their one-liners somewhere now that Uncharted is no longer in the UK charts.

I doubt that this is the reason :p If you check i.e the Media Create thread when SSBB was released you will see some simular comments, eventhough it was no suprise that SSBB would sell well, atleast in my opinion. I guess you will always see some "holy shit!" comments when a game sells alot of copies, especially the first week, even if it was expected or not (you'd probly see more of these comments if it wasnt excepted though). I havnt compared the "holy shit" comments in this thread to the PAL chart threads to see if it is the same people who said it to Uncharted, but i dont think the majority of the people who said "holy shit!" comments to Monter Hunter 2G is the exact same people who commented on Uncharted every week, but who knows :p I dont think people are always directly suprised when a popular game sell this well if they say "holy shit!" comments, but that they say this to express that the numbers are high and that it preformed well :)

And about the "Uncharted syndrome" (or what i shall say hehe), i think that has alot to do with its first 1-2 weeks preformance. It didnt have a great start and some people said it bombed, but then it just kept on charting week after week for a long time. If Uncharted charted at #1 when it launched and fell off like other games some times does and that people didnt call it a bomb i dont think we would see too much of this Uncharted syndrome. There would probly still be some comments that it charted (like there is with i.e WiiFit and Mario Mart DS etc., i think i see some comments on these releases almost every week), but i dont think it would be just as many comments. Hard to say though, so who knows :)

Cheesemeister said:
01./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) - 880,000 / NEW

keanu_reeves_neo_matrix_movie.jpg

"Whoa."

k79

Banned
Frillen said:
Every...single...week

Shut yer trap, i barely visit these threads and wanted to know how many days of sales it got (it launched the 27th i believe) considering its amazing sales. I'm sorry i offended your elitist sales-age feelings, but im new to this.

So stop being a prick, and just confirm whether i'm wrong or right.

Fredescu

k79 said:
You are right, but you are wrong in thinking it's significant. First week sales are always the biggest, and they are always only a few days of sales.

k79

Banned
Fredescu said:
You are right, but you are wrong in thinking it's significant. First week sales are always the biggest, and they are always only a few days of sales.

Thanks for the confirmation. Im really not too involved in these type of threads, and usually just glance at the software and hardware numbers. Just remembered i dont see numbers as high as 880K a lot so i thought it was a big deal.

Fredescu

k79 said:
Just remembered i dont see numbers as high as 880K a lot so i thought it was a big deal.
Big numbers for sure. A very large percentage of a games sales is from the first day though. One of the number crunchers will probably be able to rattle off an average percentage of a games first day sales to its LTD. Suffice it to say that sale age threads see a lot of "and it's only a couple of days! imagine what it will be next week!" and some people get sick of hearing it. Don't take it personally.

k79 said:
Shut yer trap, i barely visit these threads and wanted to know how many days of sales it got (it launched the 27th i believe) considering its amazing sales. I'm sorry i offended your elitist sales-age feelings, but im new to this.

so basically, you barely visit these threads, then get upset that someone who does points out that people always ask this? maybe you should read more and post less?

Defuser

Uproar of MH3 because nintendo fanboys have a exclusive which they don't care about while MH fans get kicked in the balls

MHP2G although is a considered expansion but it is more like a special edition.
New weapons,
New type of quests
New armors
Cats will join you in battle
New monsters and most monsters from MH2 and MHFrontier are in it.

Arhal_Katarn

Good all mighty the ps3 is an a rut in Japan. Although i thought the wii would outsell it i thought the ps3 could pull some better hardware numbers and have a respectable second place finish in Japan.
The only hope is a ps3 slim and the two ff13 games if they don't push hardware then Sony should seriously take at look at where they went wrong. If it does work and sony can manage a psp/n64 decent runner up then they should count themselves lucky as there Japan HQ has been shite compared to the US and EU.

k79

Banned
Fredescu said:
Big numbers for sure. A very large percentage of a games sales is from the first day though. One of the number crunchers will probably be able to rattle off an average percentage of a games first day sales to its LTD. Suffice it to say that sale age threads see a lot of "and it's only a couple of days! imagine what it will be next week!" and some people get sick of hearing it. Don't take it personally.

Ok, thanks for explaining. It really wasn't my intention to make a statement, so his reply rubbed me the wrong way. But i can understand what you say about people making statements like that, and how that annoys people.

I'll make sure to phrase myself better in the future.

Defuser said:
Uproar of MH3 because nintendo fanboys have a exclusive which they don't care about while MH fans get kicked in the balls
:lol

I remember a lot of Nintendo fanboys who previously did not care about MH at all suddenly care a whole lot and gloating about it. Same thing for Sony fanboys, but the emotion was negative. It was almost as funny as watching Amir0x pretending to be a hardcore DQ fan in the DQIX thread and seeing actual DQ fans dogpile on him when he was saying blatantly untrue things about the series to justify his meltdown.

And of course, I remember your own meltdown, which was EPIC. I absolutely lost it when you started calling Capcom CRAPCOM. Genius.

I found it very amusing because I could see it coming. Not this specific announcement of course, but something of that nature. If I were running a Japanese publishing firm, I certainly could not ignore the overwhelming userbase on the Wii, nor could I ignore its becoming a pop-cultural phenomenon overnight.

As for the issue of competing with Nintendo's software, the simple answer to that question is that you don't - I certainly wouldn't. You do not imitate what Nintendo has already done in terms of software and avoid the genres they excel at. Instead, you fill in the gaps that Nintendo have left behind.

Then, you will have a product that Nintendo will not be able to match and you will make money (MH3 is a great example - what does Nintendo have that can compete?). To put it simply, to make money, it makes sense to do what Nintendon't.

But of course, the people at the top often completely fail to understand what market data means. They follow a popular narrative they hear in a press conference and forget their basic marketing. So you get things like Sega doing a pale knockoff of Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (a market that has already been well served) and having it fail miserably. Tut tut tut.
Defuser said:
MHP2G although is a considered expansion but it is more like a special edition.
New weapons,
New type of quests
New armors
Cats will join you in battle
New monsters and most monsters from MH2 and MHFrontier are in it.
So, somewhere between an enhanced version and an expansion. Interesting. Too bad the sandbox 'do what you want' gameplay doesn't interest me.

Defuser

So, somewhere between an enhanced version and an expansion. Interesting. Too bad the sandbox 'do what you want' gameplay doesn't interest me.
MH is not a sandbox plus you can't do anything you want. Heck,you can't even anywhere you want.

1)Old lady gives you quest to slay or gather
2)You choose quest
3)You be transferred/teleport to various areas to slay
4)Slay monster
5)Gets transported back to the village within 1 min
6)Make weapons/armor with the parts you get from slaying
7)Repeat step 1

(MH3 is a great example - what does Nintendo have that can compete?)
Pokemon.

cvxfreak

Is there any kind of tangible evidence besides the hardcore internet that proves most MH fans are unsatisfied with MH3 coming to Wii?

I think there's a lot more evidence around that most Japanese gamers would rather not buy what they perceive to be an overpriced PS3 for one game.

donny2112

Phife Dawg said:
Poor Sega :(

They can take solace in the U.K. Top 40.

Pureauthor said:
I'm not entirely sure MH3 will do any better than its previous iterations.

I think it'll end up doing better than 1. If the PSP games serve to increase brand awareness, it might even do better than 2. I don't think it'll get anywhere close to 1 million, though.

Also, someone mentioned the PS3 glass ceiling line earlier. That would be 400K. No game has sold over 400K in Japan on the PS3. MnG5 at #1 is 380-something. Based on PS3's history, MGS4 will get into the 300s before dying. If it bucks that, then that's good news for the PS3.

Hammer24

Banned
donny2112 said:
Also, someone mentioned the PS3 glass ceiling line earlier. That would be 400K. No game has sold over 400K in Japan on the PS3. MnG5 at #1 is 380-something. Based on PS3's history, MGS4 will get into the 300s before dying. If it bucks that, then that's good news for the PS3.

What is the highest selling 3rd party game on the PS3 at the moment?

MHF2 is such a great game. I hope they release G here as the fanbase IS growing for the series.

I'm surprised that so many are shocked at the high sales considering how huge the Japanese market was making the release of the game. Everything from tons of MH branded cases to a MH beverage. The game is HUGE.

Hammer24

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah. As of early February Famitsu has Musou 5 (Dynasty Warriors 6) at 356K, and Gundam Musou at 313K.

Well, at least they are not selling significantly worse than 1st/2nd party games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit at Monster Hunter.

donny2112

Hammer24 said:
Well, at least they are not selling significantly worse than 1st/2nd party games.

Is that a joke?

Publisher 1: I know our games tanked next to our projections and the past games in the series, but at least we're not as far behind 1st party games as on Nintendo platforms.
Publisher 2: Yeah. That'll help me sleep better tonight on my cardboard box!

If it was a joke, I thought it was funny. :)

test_account said:
I doubt that this is the reason :p If you check i.e the Media Create thread when SSBB was released you will see some simular comments, eventhough it was no suprise that SSBB would sell well, atleast in my opinion. I guess you will always see some "holy shit!" comments when a game sells alot of copies, especially the first week, even if it was expected or not (you'd probly see more of these comments if it wasnt excepted though). I havnt compared the "holy shit" comments in this thread to the PAL chart threads to see if it is the same people who said it to Uncharted, but i dont think the majority of the people who said "holy shit!" comments to Monter Hunter 2G is the exact same people who commented on Uncharted every week, but who knows :p I dont think people are always directly suprised when a popular game sell this well if they say "holy shit!" comments, but that they say this to express that the numbers are high and that it preformed well :)

And about the "Uncharted syndrome" (or what i shall say hehe), i think that has alot to do with its first 1-2 weeks preformance. It didnt have a great start and some people said it bombed, but then it just kept on charting week after week for a long time. If Uncharted charted at #1 when it launched and fell off like other games some times does and that people didnt call it a bomb i dont think we would see too much of this Uncharted syndrome. There would probly still be some comments that it charted (like there is with i.e WiiFit and Mario Mart DS etc., i think i see some comments on these releases almost every week), but i dont think it would be just as many comments. Hard to say though, so who knows :)
It's the kind of people posting in these threads solely because they have an emotional investment. They may not be the same posters per se (I can't be bothered to check) but they post these one-liners for the same reason. That's what I was aiming at, you took it a bit too literally.

It's the same reason I don't post in NPD threads because they mainly (at least 90%) consist of these types of posts.

donny2112 said:
They can take solace in the U.K. Top 40.

I think it'll end up doing better than 1. If the PSP games serve to increase brand awareness, it might even do better than 2. I don't think it'll get anywhere close to 1 million, though.
I would love to see them have success on all the plattforms they release on though. And RGGK is the first in the series I am really interested in due to the setting - I hope they still do a western release, despite the lackluster sales of both Yakuza (to a bigger extent) and RGGK (to a lesser extent). I think some Sega rep was hinting at it not too long ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Until I am proficient enough in Japanese to be able to play such a text heavy game PS5 will be on the market.

I agree with the MH prediction. This should sell north of MH1, anything else would be a disappointment.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
lyre said:
Does this mean 2G is PSP's 3rd official non-game?

Irregardless, keep steamrolling that DS.

I think you mean regardless...by the way, we plan to make money using tiny classified ads. They're complicated.

NintendosBooger said:
Anyone else find it strange that MHP2 didn't even crack the top 30 this week, given the launch sales of its expansion?

This is a misunderstanding. MHP2G is not an expansion. It is everything in MHP2, with some fixes and more content. You do not need MHP2 to play it!

I heard from another site that MHP2 sold 7,000 this week anyway, which is the really strange part unless it was super-cheap, or people wanted their fix and all the stores were sold out of G.

btutterrow said:
This is a misunderstanding. MHP2G is not an expansion. It is everything in MHP2, with some fixes and more content. You do not need MHP2 to play it!

I heard from another site that MHP2 sold 7,000 this week anyway, which is the really strange part unless it was super-cheap, or people wanted their fix and all the stores wee sold out of G.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
It's the kind of people posting in these threads solely because they have an emotional investment. They may not be the same posters per se (I can't be bothered to check) but they post these one-liners for the same reason. That's what I was aiming at, you took it a bit too literally.

It's the same reason I don't post in NPD threads because they mainly (at least 90%) consist of these types of posts.

I did take it sort of literally, but not 100% literally to be honest. The way i first understood your post was that since Uncharted was out of the UK charts, the people who had been commenting on Uncharted preformance week after week needed to move on to another game since they couldnt comment on Uncharted now that the game was out of the UK charts. Also, i did feel that you put a joke spin on what you said though, so i didnt take it dead serious, but i wanted to give a serious reply on it anyway :) I just wanted to point out that you would most likely see these "holy shit! comments regardless since they usually appear when a game pulls high sells number (expected or not), and especially on the first week, so co commenting on a game that sells good isnt exactly something that happend the first time when Uncharted was out (i do however agree that Uncharted is a case of its one, hence the "Uncharted syndrome" hehe).

If you used Uncharted just as an example of emotional investment then i didnt pick that up at first, sorry. I do agree that many people say these comments out of emotional investment. Thats fine by me though :) It might also be that they say the comments to show that they are amazed by the preformance eventhough it was sort of expected. Like i'm amazed over Halo 3's preformance, but im not exactly suprised that it sold this well.

Hehe, ye, you can imagine how the March NPD will be when SSBB numbers are out :) Its almost impossible to discuss in a NPD thread when it gets released because of all the comments that are being posted in the begining.

donny2112 said:
It sold 7700 in Famitsu's ranking.

That just cracks me up for some reason :lol

'Monster Hunter G is sold out! Oh well, I don't want to wait a week so I will pick up the old version which is slightly worse in every regard.'

donny2112

test_account said:
Its almost impossible to discuss in a NPD thread when it gets released because of all the comments that are being posted in the begining.

Without the full NPD release, anymore, there's a lot less interest. The last couple have seemed to die out by the weekend. Back in the old days, there'd still be people posting two weeks later due to late analysis and discussion, IIRC.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Without the full NPD release, anymore, there's a lot less interest. The last couple have seemed to die out by the weekend. Back in the old days, there'd still be people posting two weeks later due to late analysis and discussion, IIRC.

I was mostly thinking of the flood of posts, if you try to start a discussion like 5 minutes after the NPD thread has been made, like 1 minute later there will be maybe 20 new posts so some most might "drown" :\ But is the NPD result we get now different from before? I didnt follow it before so i dont know.

Anyone posted this? o_O

Enterbrain compiled sales statistics for the Japanese market for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2008. Total sales improved 3.8% from the previous year for a total of $6.6 billion.

The figures are as follows:

Hardware sales year ended 3/31/08
Platform
Units

LTD
DS

Wii

PSP

PS3

X360

Software sales year ended 3/31/08

1) Wii Fit - 1,762,193 units