• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

kenta

Has no PEINS
Well I guess this means Klepek will bring about the fall of GameSpot somehow, so it's not all bad

Edit: I am mostly kidding :)))))))

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This. I worked for them for over 4 years at and that's exactly why I quit. The budget goal stress placed on Directors and VP's is just simply out of this world. Not only that but my friend who I worked with was one of the healthiest people I ever met and caught cancer and died and we all swore it was because of the budget related stress of the job. Good luck GB.
"Caught" cancer? Also, there isn't any hard evidence that high stress can raise cancer risk. Being healthy won't really prevent cancer, unfortunately. Hell, just catching some sunlight on a random day may cause a cell mutation.

Patryn

So, the last couple of posts I've been reading, that Jeff is going to talk about his firing from Gamespot, right? Since that is the case, everything is going full circle - GS is allowing Jeff to talk in detail of why he was let go, in exchange for them acquiring GB. Not the main reason for the deal, but a way for the fans to know what happened.

I think both sides realized that it would need to be addressed.

angrybus

Banned
This. I worked for them for over 4 years at and that's exactly why I quit. The budget goal stress placed on Directors and VP's is just simply out of this world. Not only that but my friend who I worked with was one of the healthiest people I ever met and caught cancer and died and we all swore (we don't have empirical proof obviously) it was because of the budget related stress of the job. Good luck GB.
As unfortunate as that is, I think it's pretty crazy of you to cap off that sentiment with "Good luck GB." I mean, think about you just implied for a second.

Bigger then what they are, but I doubt they wanted to be GS big. They needed to grow out of necessity for the business model.

I doubt they have enough money to do that, and it probably wouldn't be worth it even if they did. They also probably don't want to jump ship so soon again. Cnent is very different then what it was back then, so probably more willing to give it another shot.

Well, then that is unfortunate because they are part of a "top down" business model that is going to slowly die.

User generated and/or user funded content is the foundation of the internet. Big media is just trying to buy their way into it but it won't succeed in the long term. Encylopedia Britannica vs. Wikipedia; IGN Strategize vs. Youtube & GameFaqs.

With this decision, Giant Bomb is just doubling down in alignment on the wrong side.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Holy crap

wuyPG.jpg

VashTS

That office is classy. It's gonna look strange with the GB couch sitting in there. I'll miss the good old basement setting.

For one they aren't merging with Gamespot.

They will continue to be their own separate things.

I really don't get why the internet/Gaf always like to focus on the negatives all the time.

Yeah if things go south it will suck. Yeah this could backfire.

If things go south, it will be for a multitude of reasons not just because OH look they were killed by Gamespot. Besides it seems like they were closing in on death in a few years anyway.

But there is a good side to this as well. They get more money, can make the content they want still and perhaps better content as well, Their current structure ATM is gonna remain the same.

But no lets all be negative because if we aren't we would be shills who accept PR bullshit and are sheeps under the control of the MAN. Come on.

I really get sick of every bit of news being negative as fuck. Every damn board I frequent has the same shit.

I mean I could get hit by a car today if I leave my house, so I might as well stay home all the time. Fuck.

Cheer the fuck up, emo kids. This isn't the end of the world. and if it is? Well too bad, that's life but you gotta wait and see if that is the case.

IS it wrong for me to want them to be allowed to keep swearing. It's not that important but if not I'll just miss those moments where someone turns to the person next to them and says "what the fuck are you talking about?"

The best moments of GB weren't planned, it just happened because they kept the format fairly open and kept inviting in insanity. I hope they are still able to spend hours of time looking at games that noone played, or ever should have played.

Khezu

IS it wrong for me to want them to be allowed to keep swearing. It's not that important but if not I'll just miss those moments where someone turns to the person next to them and says "what the fuck are you talking about?"

The best moments of GB weren't planned, it just happened because they kept the format fairly open and kept inviting in insanity. I hope they are still able to spend hours of time looking at games that noone played, or ever should have played.

Already said they can still swear.

Thomper

See but that's all I need or want from Giant Bomb. I want four dudes on microphones once a week and I want a handful of quicklooks a day where they do voice overs. That's why I like them.

You are right that I'm not sure it is an indefinitely supportable business model; I'm not actually sure one way or another how much it would cost for them to do just that. I know I would have liked to see them try rather than be merged with CBS.

Isn't it often the same kind of sad story? It's cliche at this point how this cycle works. Granted, it may turn out better for these guys, but I don't like them even taking the risk.

When I hear Jeff talking about all the cool stuff they are going to do, I think of the Hollywood producers coming to single guy and knocking him off his feet with a lot of "Picture this..." scenarios.

But it's the second job for the Idle Thumbs-guys. They don't need to get paid for the podcast. They just need to pay for the hosting and the equipment. If you want the Bombcast weekly and some quick looks, you want them to be employed full time, I'm assuming. In which case they need full time salaries, and while game journalists aren't paid a lot, it's certainly more than an indefinite-time-Kickstarter could raise quickly.

guys, game website buyouts and restructurings have been 100% awesome 100% of the time.

there's seriously like no precedent whatsoever to suggest this is a bad thing. not at all.

canedaddy

For one they aren't merging with Gamespot.

They will continue to be their own separate things.

I really don't get why the internet/Gaf always like to focus on the negatives all the time.

Yeah if things go south it will suck. Yeah this could backfire.

If things go south, it will be for a multitude of reasons not just because OH look they were killed by Gamespot. Besides it seems like they were closing in on death in a few years anyway.

But there is a good side to this as well. They get more money, can make the content they want still and perhaps better content as well, Their current structure ATM is gonna remain the same.

But no lets all be negative because if we aren't we would be shills who accept PR bullshit and are sheeps under the control of the MAN. Come on.

I really get sick of every bit of news being negative as fuck. Every damn board I frequent has the same shit.

I mean I could get hit by a car today if I leave my house, so I might as well stay home all the time. Fuck.

Cheer the fuck up, emo kids. This isn't the end of the world. and if it is? Well too bad, that's life but you gotta wait and see if that is the case.
This post is a real downer.

This. I worked for them for over 4 years at and that's exactly why I quit. The budget goal stress placed on Directors and VP's is just simply out of this world. Not only that but my friend who I worked with was one of the healthiest people I ever met and caught cancer and died and we all swore (we don't have empirical proof obviously) it was because of the budget related stress of the job. Good luck GB.
:O:O:O:O:O
John does not really let that on in his function as VP so far and he has been add this for over a year now.

That is really terrible story! :O

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
wow, they just can't escape, can they?

Also, as much as I love Patrick, I can't help but blame this on his curse.

Eh I'm relatively optimstic. The thing about these guys is that it's pretty easy to imagine them bailing if they don't like where it's going. They're big enough names that they could just start BiantGomb and everyone would move over there(I understand starting a new company is not just that simple, but you see what I'm saying). If CBS reads this the same way, they're going to put emphasis on making sure these guys stay, since most of us are going with them if they leave.

EDIT: i'll follow you anywhere Brad Shoemaker <3 call me

Kacho

Is this Patrick being "the Summer Gau of gaming websites" a thing that I've just never heard of? What is this curse you speak of? I must know! I feel like I'm missing out on something hilarious.

Jhriad

I can only hope that this means bigger and better for Giantbomb and staff. Best wishes to everyone that was under the Whiskey Media umbrella. Tons of talent all around so I'm sure we'll see plenty of your work in the future.

Just fire Patrick Klepek and all will be fine.

Fuck off. Patrick is an amazing addition and I think any editorial staff in the industry would be extremely happy to have him on board.

hahahahah we have 2 curses in the industry:
Madden Curse and the Patrick Curse :p.
Is this Patrick being "the Summer Gau of gaming websites" a thing that I've just never heard of? What is this curse you speak of? I must know! I feel like I'm missing out on something hilarious.
(almost) every website that he has worded for is now gone/very different/people do not like anymore.

:O:O:O:O:O
John does not really let that on in his function as VP so far and he has been add this for over a year now.

That is really terrible story! :O

Let me be clear I worked for the same company but not under the same folks GB will be working under/for. What I can say from my years of experience is that revenue is very very important to the company. I have worked for a few companies of that size and I think the company GB will be moving to had by far the most aggressive budgets. Honestly I hope GB does well.

Talk is cheap... only time will tell.

Pretty much. Really hope it stays with the same feel and doesn't get mashed into some gamespot abomination down the road, but can't help but fear it.

Fuck off. Patrick is an amazing addition and I think any editorial staff in the industry would be extremely happy to have him on board.

Even if he was a shit editor it's pretty bad style to wish for someone to get fired like that.

Top Bottom